• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2013 Ashes Part 2 - Down Under

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
The plan looked to be find form and confidence before Perth. Prior will be much better for the rest of the series now. Prob not a bad way to go about the day, they were never going to last once the weather cleared.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
The plan looked to be find form and confidence before Perth. Prior will be much better for the rest of the series now. Prob not a bad way to go about the day, they were never going to last once the weather cleared.

I would have thought making the Aussies bowl as long as possible and tire them out a bit would have been a better plan. Especially with the questionable injury record of some of them. If anything batting time and maybe holding on till tea could have shown their actual batsman how to play the Australian attack but the English seemed to happy to get into a willy waving contest with the quicks which they've lost badly.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
POMS PASS 300! The world is theirs. If only they could've held out for another hour, the raingods may've saved them.

It's difficult to see how they're going to dig themselves out of this one, their experienced batsmen look shellshocked and disinterested. Cricketers from the sub-continent and England are well aware of the demons in the Perth pitch and I imagine want to get out of there as soon as they can without losing too much skin in the process. On the other hand, the Aussie bowlers'll have a few pieces of raw meat thrown to them over the next few days and will be pawing the ground ready for more of the same.

Dunno whether to wish for a good cricketing contest or another mauling of the Poms.....

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
That was a very satisfying win and I'm glad we wrapped it up quickly today and took the weather out of the equation.

As far as Perth goes, the key thing will be for our bowlers to not bowl too short. That's what a lot of visiting bowlers do, because they get excited about the bounce. The WACA does swing and seam (plenty of great swing bowlers have come from WA) if the ball is pitched up to give it a chance to do so. The batsmen who prosper on this wicket are those who can play off the back foot and square of the wicket. The turf is like a billiard table, so anything that gets off the square will get to the boundary.

Anderson could bowl very well here but he's going to need his batsmen to give him something to aim at.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Tremlett took wickets at the Gabba and wasn't all that bad, be tempted to go back to him as his bounce could get awkward. Bresnan would be better at SCG and possibly MCG.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Who would have believed we would have been two nil up after Adelaide, it seemed impossible even as recently as the end of day 1 in the first test. Credit to Lehman and Clarke.

Onto Perth. Hard to see any changes even though our batting still looks fragile. tempting to rest Lyons given the pitch won't suit but I always like having a spinner. The quick turn around will suit us, little time for the poms to stabilise.

The poms should rush Brennan back if he is fit. He is handy with the bat, plus his bowling was decisive last series here (in the fourth test, when the series was still one all). They should also rest swan and try tremlett or that big Irish quick they have on tour given swan is down on form.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
It would a tad short-sighted to assume that Anderson and Broad, and whoever else they pick, might not be a handful on the WACA strip too. We shouldn't get ahead of ourselves.

Previously we have had batsmen that revel in those conditions (eg Langer, Hussey, Hayden), now most of our guys seem a little susceptible to the short stuff (Rogers, Clarke etc), so it is a good point.

However there is one big difference - our bowlers average about 10km/hr faster than they do.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Rogers should be OK at the WACA in theory -- he played his club cricket for South Perth and Shield cricket for WA for several years. Remains to be seen though.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
and Hughes is in ripping form. The short ball has been somewhat his demise in the past, but he's in a real purple patch.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
and Hughes is in ripping form. The short ball has been somewhat his demise in the past, but he's in a real purple patch.

Only a matter of time. He has not had the chances of some of the more favoured players in the Aus team and continually makes it back. I am tipping him to be one of the better, possibly best Aus batsmen once Clarkie calls it a day.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah Reg we have a few domestic bats in form, which is a lovely change.

Perusing this year's Shield batting records, it is good to see plenty of averages in the late 40s and 50s, and blokes putting their hand up for selection- Hughes, North, Voges, Ryan Carters, Chris Lynn, Travis Head, Tom Cooper, etc.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Is not the Australian way to pick shield players on form. Rogers will nearly have to drop dead for Hughes to get a run.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
The press are being merciless. While I think it is great for our chances it is getting over the top. Cook's place as captain is being called into question in the UK and every man and his dog are predicting a white wash. You would think they haven't won a test series all year and are ranked 5th in the world:rolleyes: Who would replace him?

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
The press are being merciless. While I think it is great for our chances it is getting over the top. Cook's place as captain is being called into question in the UK and every man and his dog are predicting a white wash. You would think they haven't won a test series all year and are ranked 5th in the world:rolleyes: Who would replace him?

Stuart Broad!

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I don't the captaincy would be good to broad. If they had to change (which would be crazy but let's hypothesize an injury), I'd suggest Ian bell. Root would seem a longer term option.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Harris is apparently under an injury cloud with his dodgy knee. They'll assess how he goes bowling in the nets today.

If he's out, the choices are Bollinger, Coulter-Nile or Faulkner.

Personally I'd give Bollinger another crack. He's bowling well this year and his figures are significantly better in Shield cricket than Coulter-Nile.

I don't think you can pick Faulkner as your third pace bowler. Watson can do the job as the all-rounder.

Hopefully Harris comes through and is fit to play though. If he plays this test and we win, it makes it a much easier proposition to rest him for one of the final two tests when we've already won the series.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I have a bad feeling about Harris in this test, it's been acknowledged he has problems with his knees which makes playing too many matches in quick succession problematical and/or risky. Those in the know were calling for his appearances to be carefully managed this summer, is this the time for the selectors to take their own advice? Are we chancing fate with both Harris and Watson (he's about due for another physical breakdown) in this match?

No matter what unfolds that win in Adelaide will prove to be crucial in this series.

Status
Not open for further replies.