• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2013 Ashes Part 2 - Down Under

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
If they go 3 up it will be a testament to Darren Leahman. His ability to turn these guys around mentally has been Lazerus like.

And whoever fixed Johnson can take an equal bow

Agreed, Boof has done a great job.

Dennis Keith Lillee is the bloke you can thank for Johnson's revival. He's always been a fan of the bloke and proven himself again to be a top class bowling coach.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Think Aus will bat on today for a lead of around 500. There will be memories of the Saffas' efforts to score 414 to win a year or two ago. Despite the look of the pitch, it is still playing very true. Only a couple of balls have done something weird after pitching. But I think the appearance of the cracks will be having a severe mental impact on the Poms whether or not they actually cause the ball to do anything untoward.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The cracks will cause plenty of issues. Sideways movement, keeping low etc.

Just need to hit them!

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
They cause just as many psychological issues for mine. That ball Johnson bowled yesterday that hit a crack and went to first slip would have woken the England players up a bit. I'd lay odds that Stokes was thinking about it when he nicked one a couple of balls later.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Yep. 'Where the fuck is this next one going to go'.

Pretty hard to get in the front foot with that in your head.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm not sure this test will last until a 5th day but if it does, I think the cracks will be causing lots of issues.

Another high 30s, low 40s day will see them widen even further.

Rogers copped a nasty one on the ribcage yesterday afternoon and we'll see more and more balls jagging sharply, rearing up or skidding through.

I don't know that we'll see any of these deliveries but I can't imagine it's going to be much fun to bat on by late today.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
It's not quite as baking hot this morning as it has been over the past few days. There may be a bit respite for the bowlers. Not a lot, but maybe a bit.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If that is strange, how about the last over before the declaration and the first ball of the Poms second dig?

Welcome home to the Ashes.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
If that is strange, how about the last over before the declaration and the first ball of the Poms second dig?

Welcome home to the Ashes.

Bailey equaled Brian Lara's record for the amount of runs in an over of test cricket. Who would have thought before this series started that Australia's weakest batsman who would be smashing a record over against England's premier quick?

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Watsons innings only further proves that he should not be batting at 3. Scores his first ton for the series when the game is dead and buried nearly averaging a run a ball. His century over in England in the fifth test saved his spot in the side for this series and this ton will keep him in the mix for the Boxing Day Test. I'm not sure the management and coaches will be too impressed as neither of his big tons have come at crucial times.

Bailey's cameo was entertaining but once again far from a test knock. 28 runs in an over is a record nonetheless and puts him in the record book with one of the greatest of all time - Brian Lara.

We scored at nearly 8 runs an over against a depleted English team without their premier bowler. We shouldn't get too carried away by this morning's performance.

That being said, it accelerated the English demise and provided great entertainment for those of us watching. Harris' first ball was an absolute jaffa. Cook has the Trotts.

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
Harris' first ball to Cook was an absolute jaffa.

You could (rightly) argue 'til the cows come home that the dismissal (Cook's first golden duck in tests) was a culmination of being mentally and physically dispirited and not to mention the lack of footwork.

However, the quality of the line, length and swing of Harris' delivery would've severely challenged the sublime form that Cook exhibited during the last Ashes series in Oz.

EDIT: Light I was posting almost simultaneously with you - I can only concur with your jaffa analogy :)

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Wasn't it just. Growing up learning to bowl, what Harris bowled was what the coaches were always trying to get us to do: hit the top of off stump. That cherry would have got a lot of very good batsman out.

T

Train Without a Station

Jeez light you're pretty harsh on Watson. I'd wager that the management and coaches would be happy with his quick 100, which has enabled us to declare with ample time remaining and a 500 run lead.

If there's so little pressure why didn't Rogers, Clarke and Smith all smash up 100's too?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I'd imagine the management and coaches would mightily pissed off with Watson's ton, scored against a demoralised and weakened attack when the whole English team's got their heads down. The fact Watson CAN post scores like this scattered like diamonds among the dross he more often produces should count heavily against him. Watson'd be better off batting at 6 and someone like Hughes (or Rogers) coming in at first drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.