• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2013 Ashes Part 2 - Down Under

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I think the win is as likely as a draw. Swann and Bresnan aren't bunnies and if they are 5 down with 100 to get they may back themselves.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think the draw a win is as likely as a draw. Swann and Bresnan aren't bunnies and if they are 5 down with 100 to get they may back themselves.

We've spoke about the psychological damage we've done to England but to even just have a draw here - it may as well be a win given the damage that would do to us.

BUT! As I type this Mitch strikes - woo hoo!!!! :) 4 wickets to go.

Credit to Stokes on his 100. Well played!

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
We're still well on top and they still need 170-odd with only four in hand. I know some weird things have happened in cricket, so you wouldn't rule anything out.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
My point was that this could very easily have resulted in Haddin having two catches in the match and first and second slip having four between them.

Slips catches and keeper catches are generally the result of similar shots. All it takes is a slightly thicker edge and it goes to slip. I disagree that this WACA pitch is much different to ones we've seen in the past. The pace, bounce and carry are all very much there.

The cracks are doing plenty when hit. There have been several balls that have trampolined off a crack over the keeper's head, jagged at a horrible angle and struck the batsman, or skidded through with barely any bounce (Bell got one yesterday that he just kept out with the toe of his bat).

Look for more balls to skid through today.

Lunch and only one wicket down. Your prediction of being all over by lunch has gone by the way, and I put that down to the fact the pitch is very easy to bat on. Even Tubs and Warnie are now saying it's a good batting wicket. There was atime that any pitch, including the WACA was always most difficult to bat on in the fourth innings. That, quite manifestly, is not the case today, nor was it when the Saffas got 414 to win.

The cracks are having very little effect on the match. When they come into play, the effect is too much for the batsman to even get near. They will be influential only if the ball starts to shoot along the ground bringing LBWs much more into play.

Aus still to win but it is hard going just as I thought.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Stokes gone, good bowling Nathan Lyon and a decent catch by Brad Haddin. Could be over in the next half hour

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
I disagree. Swann had a very good straight ball - I believe it took or had a contributory effect on most of his wickets in England. It doesn't seem to have accompanied him down under and that is probaly why he has such a meager haul this tour.

Any Lyon gets another important wicket, this time Stokes. This is what we want him doing. The quicks run through the order, the spinner picks up key wickets. Again, Lyon is doing his job well.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Billy had the finger up for Swann's dismissal before the catch was taken. Lyon has taken some important wickets this series and has out-bowled Swann' by a margin. Can't ask for much more.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Billy had the finger up for Swann's dismissal before the catch was taken. Lyon has taken some important wickets this series and has out-bowled Swann' by a margin. Can't ask for much more.

LMAO, just saw that on slo-mo replay. He wouldve looked a goose if we'd dropped it.

Update: YEAH! Chris Rogers great catch!!!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Lunch and only one wicket down. Your prediction of being all over by lunch has gone by the way, and I put that down to the fact the pitch is very easy to bat on. Even Tubs and Warnie are now saying it's a good batting wicket. There was atime that any pitch, including the WACA was always most difficult to bat on in the fourth innings. That, quite manifestly, is not the case today, nor was it when the Saffas got 414 to win.

The cracks are having very little effect on the match. When they come into play, the effect is too much for the batsman to even get near. They will be influential only if the ball starts to shoot along the ground bringing LBWs much more into play.

Aus still to win but it is hard going just as I thought.

Maybe you should have waited a little longer before making your holier than thou post.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
After recent series performances vs the England Invitational XI, one feels tempted to let fly with a Stephanie Rice Redux tweet.

Haven't heard a peep out of the Soap Dodgers at work all week. Bliss.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
You bloody beauty and reward for all the hard work during the series so far. We've won all the big moments in the series and most importantly not relented or given an inch. The bowlers have been absolutely superb. Obviously MJ will get the plaudits, but the other blokes have been like a pack of wild dogs. They didn't give the Poms a moments peace.

We still have issues with the batting, but enough blokes have put their hands up at crucial stages to give the attack something to aim at. I should also mention that the fielding has been first class too. That's a strong indicator of how well a team is travelling and ours is going alright at the minute.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm over the moon. 3 nil up after 3 tests, it was unimaginable even at the end of day 1 of test 1. The aus team have ambushed the poms (and most cricket followers too) with aggression, clever tactics and great execution. Our off field efforts have been just as important as the on field performances.

In the same way that fortune was cruel to us in England, it's been kind to us here. Winning all 3 tosses, weather disrupting some of the English warm up games, the heat in Perth...

But it's been won on the field, and Warner and Johnson have been the big differences to our performances from earlier in the year. Both are game breakers, more importantly they crush the opposition when they get going so that the impacts of their abilities is felt even when they aren't the centre of attention. Strong support from Haddin and Harris particularly. Clarke's leadership has really matured, was it the change of coach or just circumstance and the passing of time? He has that hard edge that we like in our captains. His use of DRS was poor in England but has been almost perfect this series. Homeworkgate? That was years ago wasn't it?

I see there are no changes for Melbourne. I can understand it but it must be tempting to rest one or two.

For the poms, they have been decapitated. Cook was lined up first, but just as importantly, the other senior players in Anderson, swan, prior, peterson and bell have also been targeted and hobbled and so have underpeformed. Long may it continue.

I'll celebrate 5 nil if it happens, but I don't think we are really good enough to be in such company so I'm kind of hoping for 4 nil. Its a nice delimma to have

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I felt for Micky Arthur and do believe he wasn't given a fair go. But this series has vindicated the decision to axe him. He just never got them all pulling in the same direction after the loss of once in a generation players like McGrath and Warne.

Really proud of the boys.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I felt for Micky Arthur and do believe he wasn't given a fair go. But this series has vindicated the decision to axe him. He just never got them all pulling in the same direction after the loss of once in a generation players like McGrath and Warne.

Really proud of the boys.

The low point of the Aus cricket team in decades was the awful business about doing homework. Just the actions of a power freak treating adults as kindergarten children. Unfortunately have seen too much of this sort of tripe in the work world in recent years as well. Well done to Boof for bringing some pride back into the players.

Status
Not open for further replies.