• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2013 Ashes Part 2 - Down Under

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

I never understand the need to grill a player who gets 50's and not converting to 100s as if he is a major failure as a batsman, when there is always others who have failed to score significantly. E.g. Smith and Warner in this test so far.

In his last 5 innings Watson has managed 100 and a 50, can't fault that recent form really considering there isn't anybody smashing 100's weekly begging to be picked over him. I'm more concerned by his 22 and 6 (could be wrong scores) he got in Brisbane personally.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Until another option really stamps their authority as a potential test 3, Watson is the man for the job.

I think people are just frustrated that his obvious talent is let down by his lack of mental fortitude when it comes to test batting. In regards to his scores in Brisbane, even the best batsmen will make low scores. What makes great batsmen great is that once they get a start they will mostly go on with it and make a big score.

That has been the hallmark of Michael Clarke in particular in the last few years. Hopefully he can do the same thing today and get plenty of support from Haddin and the tail.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Yesterday was a missed opportunity for both teams: Australia SHOULD'VE ended up about 4/320 on that perfect batting flat track while those three dropped catches by the Poms may well cost them the match, and the series.

The starts both Warner and Watson made were wasted by impatience from Warner and, dare I say it, mental fragility on Watson's part. It's a funny thing in cricket, how a breaching of the order causes leaks to spring elsewhere; we were cruising along at 1/155 and bang, two wickets fall for no runs. Before we know it we're 4/174 and under the pump. I feel we aren't getting enough value out of batsmen like these two who have both the ability and experience to do better.

After Brisbane I'd've judged Rogers to be the batsman most at risk but what a nice opener's dig he put in here. One can't imagine he's got a long career in front of him aged 36, keep on with what you're doing this week, Chris.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I don't think this pitch is as perfect for batting as many are making out.

Despite almost all of our bats getting a start, only one (Bailey) really looked fluent. England's bowling was disciplined, but I think the pitch is a touch slow and offers a bit for the spinners and seamers.

I think 400 would be a decent first innings score, let's hope Clarkey can get us there this morning.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There's definitely plenty in it for the spinners. Rogers got out to a ball that turned a lot and Smith got a jaffa (that he played very badly).

Nathan Lyon will be very important for Australia and I think our part time spinners will all have a role to play.

Agree with Baabaa that 400+ is the order of the day. Need Clarke to kick on.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I see Rogers referred to it as a Day 3 type pitch, which makes today very interesting let alone day 4 and 5

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think we need a minimum of a hundred more, but the old cricket axiom still holds true that you don't know how well a track is playing until both teams have batted. If the pitch is as Rogers says, then anything over 320-350 could be a very competitive first innings total and I'm really glad we won the toss. Batting last on it could be very tricky.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I have a different opinion on Watson. I don't think it is just his concentration that lets him down - I think it is his talent. He is overly reliant on his technique to get him through and never really looks 'in', hence can get out at any time.

I thing he is a bit of a manufactured (obviously with some talent) but is more reliant on technique. He doesn't ever seem to 'see it like a watermelon'.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I thing he is a bit of a manufactured (obviously with some talent) but is more reliant on technique. He doesn't ever seem to 'see it like a watermelon'.

Really?

I think his one day and T20 batting has shown that he is one of the best ball strikers in the country.

When he's in, he's very much in. I think he just struggles to concentrate for long periods of time. He has always done better in limited overs innings where he can just go hell for leather and try and smash everything once he is in.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
You have to giggle at some of the English fielders. It isn't very often you see a sides' number 1 fast bowler fielding at first slip, and the skipper fielding at silly point.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Really?

I think his one day and T20 batting has shown that he is one of the best ball strikers in the country.

When he's in, he's very much in. I think he just struggles to concentrate for long periods of time. He has always done better in limited overs innings where he can just go hell for leather and try and smash everything once he is in.

I think it is very much mental as well. Watson knows that he has a record of getting starts and not going on in test cricket, and it seems to nag him a bit nowadays when he is batting, and contributes to his loss of concentration. It has been getting more obvious everytime he is at the crease recently.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Super session. Great batting by Clarke and Haddin. The dropped catches yesterday afternoon by England are now really hurting them.

Hopefully the Aussies knuckle down after lunch. Haddin should be looking for a hundred and Clarke for 200. There's no reason why Australia shouldn't be thinking they can bat through the day and finish close to 600.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Unless England collapse in their first innings, this test is most likely to end in a draw. With that in mind and only a three day turnaround to Perth, Australia should be thinking that if they can bat for 3+ days out of the 5, they'll put themselves in a great position heading into the next test with a fresh bowling attack against a tired one.

Back to back tests add an extra element of strategy where what happens in one test can have a strong influence on the next.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I was thinking the same thing BH. There is no need to be in a hurry here and we should be aiming to bat England out of the game if possible. I'd be trying to still be there well past tea and maybe give them half an hour before stumps. This is all predicated on keeping wickets in hand of course. Psychological crushing of the opposition should be the goal.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
That must've been horrid for Stokes, thought he had Haddin for his first wicket but a no ball it was. Don't get all the arguments made by Mark Taylor that they should let it go, a no ball is a no ball Tubs. Surely you'd want your first wicket to be from a legit delivery.

Had to love the come back from Haddin to Stokes though "Congratulations on your first test wicket!" ;)

More than enough footage on youtube of Watto hitting the ball like it was a beach ball let alone a watermelon. Injuries & tinkering with technique to sort out his issues with getting caught multiple times for LBW, for mine, that has to play on your conscious. Mental/confidence issues is my vote there.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
What a crushing session from Aus. The Stokes noball not out was worse than just no wickets at all. Too early to predict a draw for mine, I think the pitch will deteriorate from tomorrow and it could get interesting oevr the weekend.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Aim for Aus now is to ensure they don't have to bat again on this pitch. 550+ should be the aim.

We are a live chance to win, considering England are a batsman short by playing Stokes.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
8 down now and time to start throwing the bat. Won't do much good having bolwers batting for an hour or two for a few extra runs at this stage.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Well deserved century from Haddin in terms of how well he has played so far this series. He should have never made it past 10 with Carberry dropping just about the easiest catch you'll ever see dropped in test cricket.

His batting in both first innings has been absolutely crucial to Australia and his second innings 50 in Brisbane at faster than a run a ball helped bat England completely out of the match in quick time.

Keep it up Hadds!

Status
Not open for further replies.