• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2013 Ashes Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Aus 4-205 after being 4-75 earlier. These two are doing well.

Trailing by 33 runs now. Rogers 96no, Watson 68no.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Rogers ton! two words: nervy, awesome. 35 year old with a maiden ton in the Ashes. It doesn't get much better than that.

Well deserved, he has really silenced his critics since Trent Bridge (myself included).

222-5. HM to Watson for stepping up down the order and Broad, who bowled well.

Umpires call end of play for bad light. Aussies happy, English happy.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Does anyone else feel like this test is going at a snails pace?

Run scoring looks very tricky.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Does anyone else feel like this test is going at a snails pace?

Run scoring looks very tricky.

Yeah, scoring runs looks incredibly difficult, which makes Rodgers' ton even more amazing.

Although it doesn't help that England have had an atrocious over rate. Cook might find himself in hot water after the test if he keeps dragging the chain.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
England look like the series is over and they couln't care less about the remaining tests.

A score of 300+ by lunch and Australia will be in an excellent position to take this one and build momentum for the return series.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Take Graeme Swann out of the English side and the teams are pretty even IMO. More often than not Swann will bowl better than Lyon but this test so far has proved Lyon should be our first choice and that he is a quality bowler.

Jimmy Anderson has been sub-standard since Trent Bridge, Broad has been the pick of their bowlers but not at the level of Harris or Siddle whilst Tremlett and Bresnan have done nothing of note. I'd have Watson the allrounder over either of those two. Our bowling stocks are looking good for the return series and if we can keep this up with the bat we might get that little urn back sooner than we thought.

Rogers and Smith have been revelations. Khawaja is the only bloke with a question mark to his name right now and Hughes and Cowan are both sitting right behind him. If Warner can start firing we have a very solid batting order. Watson looks so much better at 6 already.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Take Graeme Swann out of the English side and the teams are pretty even IMO.

Their batting has been alot better than ours. Tey ony have one questions mark in their top 6. We are improving though. Good on rogers for his innings last night, well supported by Watson.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Getting less subtle in his old age it would seem.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Can't even remember what happened to my old login. Something went wrong during one of the forum changes...

-----------------------
I hate autocorrect ...

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Their batting has been alot better than ours. Tey ony have one questions mark in their top 6. We are improving though. Good on rogers for his innings last night, well supported by Watson.

Yeah, no doubt. Fortunately for us they are not performing anywhere near potential. Other than Root's one big innings he has been disappointing. Cook has been well off the mark the entire series struggling with similar issues as Watson. Bell has struggled to find form primarily because he's been scoring so slowly, other than the one or two innings he hasn't been threatening. KP is on the same level as Clarke, reliable and goes on to score big but can't do it every innings. Trott is incredibly out of form and we haven't even seen what Bairstow is capable of.

The key to the line up is Trott and whilst he isn't scoring runs we are in with a chance. Cook, Root and Bell all play around him. KP is his own man and capable of tearing us apart if he gets it right early. I wouldn't be surprised to see Nick Compton back soon if the top order continues to struggle.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yep, all our hard work was just undone in one session. Game is all even again IMO.
Alas, its advantage England. Once again, they get a partnership at a key time. We need a miracle now. BBC says there is a chance of showers on Mon and Tues.

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
I agree. Can't see us stopping them adding significant runs from here. By significant, it doesn't have to be many judging by our previous attempts to chase runs in the 4th innings. But we can still hope

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Bell was superb. He's one of those players that you don't really notice until he brings up a milestone. Quietly goes about accumulating runs and frustrating the bowlers, his improvement from the last ashes series is day and night.

Got to say I can't see us winning from here. Unless we can bowl them out quickly and be chasing something around 220-230 there is just too much in the pitch for the bowlers.

Our blokes will go for the win and that makes us very vulnerable.

Status
Not open for further replies.