• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2013 Super Rugby Final - CHIEFS v BRUMBIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah............

The Chiefs are going backwards, Brumbies' scrum moving forward, and then the Chiefs clearly walk around........

Penalty to the Brumbies.........

We can agree to disagree though...........

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I feel okay after the game, it was a really good game and in the end, a couple of penalties and missed tackles cost the game. The Chiefs showed why they were table toppers.

That said, I haven't been able to watch any of the post-match celebrations and don't think I will be able to later either :p

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah, I'm gutted but it was a tough few weeks and they came oh so close........

The Chiefs' tactics in that last 20 to exploit the Brumbies' weariness was the genius move in the end.......

It was either Kafe or Horan on the commentary though who made the prediction that if the Chiefs' stopped going wide where the Brumbies' were defending so easily and started attacking up the middle....... gah.........

I feel that if the Brumbies had've got that second try in that period of play beforehand it would've been theirs, but alas........

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The Brumbies didn't twist the scrum though....

The Chiefs detached and walked around..

It really should've been a Brumbies' penalty....

Them's the breaks I s'pose.... not going to dwell on it...

The strange thing is that Joubert normally makes decisions that go towards the physically dominant team - in that case he went the opposite. I suspect he didn't view the scrum in its entirety and rather saw the 90 degrees of the chiefs and game them the put in.

The other perplexing one was Smith getting done for obstruction. He was merely trying to catch a pass but his team mate took it out of his hands. Smith was then axed in the back for his trouble, and to make it all worse gets incorrectly penalised for his efforts!

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Yeah, I'm gutted but it was a tough few weeks and they came oh so close....

The Chiefs' tactics in that last 20 to exploit the Brumbies' weariness was the genius move in the end...

It was either Kafe or Horan on the commentary though who made the prediction that if the Chiefs' stopped going wide where the Brumbies' were defending so easily and started attacking up the middle... gah...

I feel that if the Brumbies had've got that second try in that period of play beforehand it would've been theirs, but alas....

At the time I also thought 'that could cost

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
I have never said that he, nor James Horwill, doesn't deserve his position.

Perhaps you, and others, could cut me, and others, some slack.

I'm assuming you are aiming this comment at me. I am unsure as to what slack you want cut? If you want some sort of compromise I can assure you, the only compromise I am willing to offer is to agree to disagree. :)

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
I'm assuming you are aiming this comment at me. I am unsure as to what slack you want cut? If you want some sort of compromise I can assure you, the only compromise I am willing to offer is to agree to disagree. :)

If you think that I, or most Australian Rugby supporters, wanted the Brumbies to lose you are misguided.

My comment re Nic White was merely that I thought that he had a bad game. No conspiracy theories, no ulterior motives, and no apologies.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
There was a scrum penalty against the Brumbies that baffled me. Their own feed, win the hit, clean rake of the ball and the scrum went forward through the Chiefs, yet are penalised when Mowen keeps it at his feet.

The 'use it' call is proper at the breakdown, but was Joubert within his rights to insist on Mowen/White playing the ball in a dominant scrum? Winning the scrum penalty is bread and butter in the NH, why was it different last night?
Yeah Think I know the one your on about, to me that was a 50/50 call that the brumbies lost, chiefs did detach from the scrum, I also called the wheel, deliberately turning the scrum through 90, but the chiefs got away with it.
Off track a little but, in the first Lions test when Pollack reffed the game the scrum was a lottery, when Joubert took the reins wasn't a lot better Poit the French ref had a better understanding of it as in the French league scrums are a big part of the game so to the rest of the NH,
The difference between the officiating by a NH & SH refs is huge, scrums down South are a means of starting again up here they are a means of manipulating the opposition,
We still believe the set piece is important to the game, so to the maul, whereas your sides prefer a running passing game, which I think is very good to watch, but difficult to ref when to different hemispheres collide, interpretation is a big factor. If you can do the both I think you have a winning team.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I think all the irb refs are on the same page here . They are just on different ends of the spectrum. Poite gets a say in at the set piece whenever he can, while Joubert reserves his penalties for scrums that become a mess. And obliviously the context of the game factors into the refs approach. Most of them are going to assert more authority over a test match scrum than a super rugby one.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
If you think that I, or most Australian Rugby supporters, wanted the Brumbies to lose you are misguided.

My comment re Nic White was merely that I thought that he had a bad game. No conspiracy theories, no ulterior motives, and no apologies.

What the hell are you on about? Go back and read what I wrote again.

I never insinuated that people wished the Brumbies to lose, I have no idea where you pulled that one from. My comments were more aimed at the lynching of Nic White.

I done arguing with a brick wall.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
The point about Nic White is simply some people don't think he is far and away the 2nd best half-back in Australia. As I said earlier, this isn't something I'm basing on just one game, I've thought it for a while now. And it's not just about him or his form either. Nick Phipps had some pretty good games in the 2nd half of the season and I think he brings a different game to White.

If there was a game for White to really make a statement, this was it and he was pretty woeful. I'm not saying he's useless or should be discarded but I think his claim to being No.2 can be undisputed.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
It is a big problem with Australian rugby fans and very much alive on this forum that a player can be deemed the greatest thing since sliced bread or not up to international standard without being tested before making such an assumption.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
It was straight after losing a final, I wouldn't read too much into it. However, if he sticks to it without changing some of the argument, it'll come back to bite him.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
It is a big problem with Australian rugby fans and very much alive on this forum that a player can be deemed the greatest thing since sliced bread or not up to international standard without being tested before making such an assumption.

Couldn't agree with this more. I'm not saying White won't actually be a good Test player.....I'm simply saying I wouldn't be closing the book on a guy like Phipps already

SammyP

Chris McKivat (8)
I know that a lot of people are questioning Nic Whites game and ability after the last couple of games and don't know if this has been discussed already but how much did his injury effect his confidence? He was having a great season, got injured therefore missed out on lions opportunity and I know he was pretty gutted about that. 1st game back against the cheetahs, there was one tackle where he was dragged down by his arm and he was in obvious discomfort, the way he walked off nursing his shoulder I didn't think he would play in the bulls game. Also I noticed he was getting pretty heavy treatment on his hip/leg before the game on Saturday.
I agree he didn't have a good game at all, but I think there were a number of contributing factors.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Couldn't agree with this more. I'm not saying White won't actually be a good Test player...I'm simply saying I wouldn't be closing the book on a guy like Phipps already

Phipps gets a rough ride on this forum and is nowhere near as bad as he is made out to be. I look forward to seeing him at the Tahs next year.

Ben Mowen copped a lot of crap about how he is not test quality over the last few years. We know how that is turning out. Mogg has copped this crap this year and was one of few who actually played well in his limited time in that stinking dump that was the third Lions test. He had an off game in the final but I also factor fatigue as part of the cause. Dan Carter didn't have a great 2011 final after a heavy travel load either.

I think White has earned his chance without doubt but now I want to see how he plays behind a different forward pack, in front of a different back line and to a different coaches instructions.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
CLYDE Rathbone has made the extraordinary claim that the Brumbies should not have won the Super Rugby title because they played negative rugby throughout the year, but laid the blame squarely on the game's lawmakers.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...tics/story-fni2fyfz-1226690915680#mm-breached

It was a goodarticle, but the rules don't need to change. The current rules allow for multiple styles, Clyde should talk to his coach.

One side played great ball in hand rugby and the other side tried to strangle the life out of the game

The rules weren't the issue

Status
Not open for further replies.