• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2013 Super Rugby Final - CHIEFS v BRUMBIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodenspoon

Herbert Moran (7)
White is better than any other second choice half back in Australia right now, end of story. He had a poor game last night, but the bulk of his performances over the last two seasons have been up to the appropriate standard.
Let's wait for Burgess to come back on field before having the final word.
Anyway, I agree White has the potential to be the second best half-back in Australia although his unreliable kicking is one of his well-known cons (as well as Mogg's)

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
For me that last ten to twelve mins was a bridge to far for the Brumbies. Pulu came on and ignited the Chiefs and where earlier in the game Brumbies were a wall, now the Chiefs sniping worked. Add the errors we saw at 68mins plus and the opportunities to maraud the Chiefs lines soon came to little.

Regarding White and Mogg, I did wonder if the change in altitude had thrown their judgement off a bit. I don't think we should be going all Stephen Donald on White, the bloke was superb at Loftus as he has been most of the year.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
Brumbies were great but ultimately ran out of gas in the last 15-20 minutes. Ben Mowen would've made the cover tackle on Robinson but was dead on his feet. Thems the breaks!
I agree with the first part of your post, I also think Mowen
messed up a few times at the back of the scrum took his time in getting the ball out, white the 9 wasn't given much chance to work the ball once he had it.
Not all whites fault me thinks.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Let's wait for Burgess to come back on field before having the final word.
Anyway, I agree White has the potential to be the second best half-back in Australia although his unreliable kicking is one of his well-known cons (as well as Mogg's)

Luke's pass would have to have improved IMHO if he wanted to be considered No. 2. That was the biggest issue with his game before he went overseas. I didn't think it was up to international standard.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I agree with the first part of your post, I also think Mowen
messed up a few times at the back of the scrum took his time in getting the ball out, white the 9 wasn't given much chance to work the ball once he had it.
Not all whites fault me thinks.

There was a scrum penalty against the Brumbies that baffled me. Their own feed, win the hit, clean rake of the ball and the scrum went forward through the Chiefs, yet are penalised when Mowen keeps it at his feet.

The 'use it' call is proper at the breakdown, but was Joubert within his rights to insist on Mowen/White playing the ball in a dominant scrum? Winning the scrum penalty is bread and butter in the NH, why was it different last night?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There was a scrum penalty against the Brumbies that baffled me. Their own feed, win the hit, clean rake of the ball and the scrum went forward through the Chiefs, yet are penalised when Mowen keeps it at his feet.

The 'use it' call is proper at the breakdown, but was Joubert within his rights to insist on Mowen/White playing the ball in a dominant scrum? Winning the scrum penalty is bread and butter in the NH, why was it different last night?

That was bizarre.......

The Brumbies' scrum drove through and the Chiefs disengaged on one side and walked around and he called the 90.........

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Regarding White and Mogg, I did wonder if the change in altitude had thrown their judgement off a bit. I don't think we should be going all Stephen Donald on White, the bloke was superb at Loftus as he has been most of the year.

Yep.........

If we ignored every player's general form and discarded them after one bad game we wouldn't have a lot of players to choose from.........

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Wow one bad game and the punters are lining up to sink the boot in! Come on guys, cut nic white some slack. yes, he had a shocker, but his form over the last two seasons is enough to show that he is the best man to be genia's backup.

I disagree that "the punters are lining up to sink the boot in".

The "one bad game" just happened to be the Super Rugby final.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

By the same logic James Horwill shouldn't make the Wallabies based on his terrible performance in the qualifying final..........

I think it's far more important to acknowledge that Nic White helped the Brumbies make the finals through some quality performances..........

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Calm down a bit, fellas. It's quite reasonable to say various players had bad games. Very few posts have said anyone should be "discarded" or "on the scrap heap".

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
The point of a scrum is to restart the game. It's not some game within a game whereby players continue scrumiging until a penalty is given. When the brumbies kept the ball at the back of the scrum and it rotated the turnover was a great call.

The use it call doesn't apply to the scrum, but Joubert's use of it to avoid sanctioning the attacking team at a scrum is understandable.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
They do that everywhere, especially after the NRL GF, where they also boo the prime minister and any other political figures on stage.

There was a time when Rugby supporters were a class above the League supporters. Sadly there has been a cross-pollination of fans, with the scum rising to the surface. As I've said before in this forum, it's most apparent at a Reds match at Suncorp Stadium, when we play a Kiwi team!
No shit from the Saffers or other Aussie team's supporters!

Sad really, as my family has many Kiwi friends, and a few relations.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
When the Brumbies were on 19, I said to a mate they'd need another 10 to win because the Chiefs would definitely score tries. Then the Chiefs showed why they're back to back champs. They adjusted their game very astutely and made the most of their chances. It's great to see the Super Rugby champs play such an exciting brand of the game.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
I disagree that "the punters are lining up to sink the boot in".

What would you call it then?

The notion that a player be judged on one game, be it super rugby final or otherwise is way over the top. Yet post match I have seen numerous people on these very boards question Nic White's ability to step up into a gold jersey, based on one game. The past 2 seasons seem to fade from view when weighed up against last night's game. The argument of 'it was a super rugby final' when assessing his ability is quite ridiculous really.

When I say cut him (and the Brumbies) some slack is in reference to what the team has undergone and overcome over the last month. To even make the final, and push the Chiefs in the way they did, was nothing short of brilliant.

The fickle nature of Australian rugby supporters is much more worrying than Nic White's performance last night.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Both Mogg and Nic White appear to kick the ball out on the full more than other players, but that is because they are pushing the boundaries.

We all heartily applaud those brilliant kicks where they just land inside the line and skid over, so we have to be willing to cut them some slack when it doesn't work too. It was just a shame that it happened in the last 10 mins of the S15 final.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
I have never said that he, nor James Horwill, doesn't deserve his position.

Perhaps you, and others, could cut me, and others, some slack.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
The point of a scrum is to restart the game. It's not some game within a game whereby players continue scrumiging until a penalty is given. When the brumbies kept the ball at the back of the scrum and it rotated the turnover was a great call.

The use it call doesn't apply to the scrum, but Joubert's use of it to avoid sanctioning the attacking team at a scrum is understandable.

I agree with this. The Brumbies had good solid ball that they could have launched an attack off. Instead they chose to twist the scrum hoping to con the ref into a penalty. Twisting the scrum is perfectly legal but you have to use it before it gets to the 90. They didn't, even after CJ reminded them and so they lost the ball. The reality is that with the whole of the Chiefs forward pack on the left, and their whole forward pack on the right, they should have been able to launch a great attacking move, exactly the same situation as the Chiefs try that came off a scrum they twisted.

Too often referees just award PK's at scrumtime when there is no offence, just one side has a better shove on and I think it is high time refs stopped pulling scrum PK's out of their backsides. The benefit of having a good shove should be the freedom to use the ball as they wish and/or deny the opponents the ability to get or use their ball. But that is a subject for another thread.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I agree with this. The Brumbies had good solid ball that they could have launched an attack off. Instead they chose to twist the scrum hoping to con the ref into a penalty.

The Brumbies didn't twist the scrum though........

The Chiefs detached and walked around......

It really should've been a Brumbies' penalty..........

Them's the breaks I s'pose.......... not going to dwell on it.........

Status
Not open for further replies.