• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2013 Super Rugby Final - CHIEFS v BRUMBIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
I wasn't having a chip at your rant or joke per se, but the fact that this thread is about the Brumbies/Chiefs final and you are going on again about all sorts of issues relating the the Saffas' entry into the Super comp. I might say also, that you have completely lost me with the thread of your argument.

And, as I said, you seem to want to turn every thread into a discussion of the Saffa teams and how the Super comp is somehow designed to hinder them.
Go back to what I replied to about the best provincial side in the world thingy. my reply to that and a couple of wrong perceptions from others is how we ended here now looking off topic and whining.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
I thought his interpretation of that clean out was ok and consistent with the laws (there is no specific law protecting the half back that I can find).

He said that the halfback had picked up the ball so he was fair game for anyone who was either onside or part of the ruck at the moment the ball was picked up. I think we were more speaking theoretically than of that particular instance - at least I was.

There is no specific law that says you cannot play the half-back, but this is inferred from all the other laws about what you can and cannot do in general play, at a ruck and at a tackle.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
If you were not allowed to clean out the halfback, you wouldn't need any protection at every 2nd ruck or so, just have the halfback be there first and he would be able to do as he'd like. Or am I missing something?

Yep.

If there isn't any protection from one of your players over the ball then you wouldn't have a ruck, you'd have a tackle, and you can play anyone near to the ball at a tackle.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
he went straight through the middle fo the ruck, it was just a cleanout, doesn't matter if it's the halfback you're cleaning out or a prop. Unfortunately, few refs seem to realise it, though. Barnes carded McCabe against Argentina for it in last years TRC. Bullshit call, that.

Also, I believe the replay showed he even had hands on the ball, so wouldn't have mattered anyways.

Great fight Brumbies, the way they hassled TKB hopefully showed the AB selectors he is not test-quality.
Were it not for the travelling, it might very well have been a different ball game. But that's why you win games during the regular season.

Aki & Pulu stepped things up big time when they came on! Looking forward to seeing Afeaki in black more often now, he's a damn good prop. Shame about losing Toby Smith, considering the lack of depth at loosehead.

Proud of the Chiefs!
First was it a ruck, tackle or open play? Recolonize the phase first.
If it was a ruck then interpretation can get you different scenario's including hands in the ruck on 9.

So it tells you that the ball was out. He is fair game to be tackled if the player came from a onside position.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Might've won.or even not won. Chiefs might have been stronger too-let's hope the hypotheticals don't take away from a brilliant game.
Win all your home games and you win Super Rugby.
Simple, effective applied by the most succesful teams in the competition.

The Chiefs were a bit below par this game but it was enough to see them through.

Interesting thing is that teams start to work them out slowly. Next season will be interesting

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Brumbies got a lot of 50/50 calls against them, which didn't help the result.

Ultimately though is was their inability to use the ball that lost them the game. Mowen and White in particular looked very slow in moving the ball on and getting the players around them running. If the Brumbies more effectively utilised their backs they would have won that game.

Maybe they should of asked the Reds how to do that... oh but.. Mowens the best 6 or 8 in the country and maybe genia would have done better but he played shit against the crusaders who werent in the big game.. not blaming travel.. we made some mistakes lost us the game. not not using the ball.. plus we scored more tries then australian attacking side the reds

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
The chip? I am not following you. Wasn't a rant but more of a joke. And a club side means totally different to us than in Europe or maybe in Australia. Club is a amateur side here. Province is a specific region and a franchise is a couple of provinces thrown together.

And as a SA supporter it was quite funny looking back as we enter a Super 12 with the high hopes of teams doing well like the previous year in the Super 10. Suddenly to smashed into oblivion.

NZ have a Provincial competition and so do we. We were expecting sides with their NPC roster. The franchise concept was still unknown to us.

so you telling me.. the brumbies beat the bulls in pertoria after they won there stay side cos .. we got australia players from everywhere and the bulls are all home grown..

Mate Im confused this is brumbies v the chiefs a fantastic game by all counts and I hear you saing south africa got hard done by.. Im pissed but thats what i read

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
You can't clean out a player who is not apart of the ruck. Usually the halfback. The chiefs cleaned out anyone. Lol. Just flying into the ruck like missiles. What ever happened to staying on your feet at the breakdown?

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Let's cut the shit. Proved right, winning cross-continents is impossible. Brumbies would've won with an extra week. The only advantage you should get from finishing top is a home final.
Dont agree... Brums we could have won that kicking not out from a pen isnt tried related..

Mank

Ted Thorn (20)
Rassie - really what is the chip on your shoulder that appears on each and every thread, no matter what the subject?

I'm with you. I like this forum because in general most views are tolerated, but Rassie you are coming across as one huge effing whinger. I know you're just stating your views, and you might have some valid points, but it's hard to tell.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
I'm with you. I like this forum because in general most views are tolerated, but Rassie you are coming across as one huge effing whinger. I know you're just stating your views, and you might have some valid points, but it's hard to tell.

And what you just did is what not whining? Nobody was moaning in the thread. The guy just read half the convo and made a presumption.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
A very exciting game. Congratulations to the Chiefs - top of the tree all season. Well done Brumbies running them so close.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but after that match I think I'm coming round to Robbie Deans' view on Nick White - he seemed to be at the centre of so many disasters for the Brumbies. Hopefully just an abberation.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well after night thinking about game, have to say, I still think it a ripper. To anyone thinking the Chiefs got the good calls from ref, you really should watch another game, I thought Joubert had good game, ok I was surprised early in game when Moore 'accidently' ran into TKB's back from wrong side was ok etc, but he decided he was ok, so I was quite happy. I will say I presonally thought Mowen and G Smith were awesome for Brumbies, and if they had been playing for a kiwi team, I would have to be wiping my face from the spittle of outraged Aus fans the way they played!!! For Chiefs I really think Retallick is just playing like a beast (can't wait to see him with Whitelock for ABs) and Messam and Latimer in 2nd half were brilliant. I go along with Sully, I don't think the travel got to Brumbies as much as Chiefs changing to more direct rugby that did it!!

Pusser

Larry Dwyer (12)
A very exciting game. Congratulations to the Chiefs - top of the tree all season. Well done Brumbies running them so close.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but after that match I think I'm coming round to Robbie Deans' view on Nick White - he seemed to be at the centre of so many disasters for the Brumbies. Hopefully just an abberation.
Luckily the former Reds coach doesn't agree with you. Giving his statements on The Rugby Show. He points out how The Brumbies do much better when White is at half.

I second your first para though and think it was a good game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yep.

If there isn't any protection from one of your players over the ball then you wouldn't have a ruck, you'd have a tackle, and you can play anyone near to the ball at a tackle.

I think the same, but more often than not, the refs seem to rule that a ruck has formed even when there are no players from the attacking side over the ball. Just seems to be a lot of inconsistency in rulings at the ruck imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.