• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2013 Super Rugby Semi Final - Bulls vs Brumbies

Who will be playing the Super Rugby Grand Final against a team from NZ?

• Bulls

Votes: 19 43.2%
  • Brumbies

Votes: 25 56.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
cant be much between the ears of Potgieter. Maybe Jake is onto something when he said SA players are planks.

Anyways, after watching both semi's, all I can say is goodluck to the brumbies, they're going to need it.
Really?
Flying to Hamilton. Jet lagged no way of winning it or stay at home have a rest till TRC starts?

Who is the planks really?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
In defence of Scott Fardy where he gave away a couple of penalties.

Penalised for pulling down a maul after a restart by the Brumbies in the second half, following a kickbot penalty. The player he had hold of was the one with the ball. I believe it is within the laws to tackle the player with the ball in a maul?

Entering a maul from the side late in the game. I believe he would have thought the ball carrying pod (of 3 I think) had broken away from the main part of the maul in front, and was entitled to go at them.

Not hat Scott really needs any defending. Another very impressive display from him, and wouldn't look out of place in a Wallaby jersey.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Blue,

I must commend you on your observations of the Bulls this season. You were worried about this game and stated why and, unfortunately, were correct.

Perhaps a coaching gig is in order?

You're too kind.

Analysis but not coaching. I'm too cranky.

I'd end up with someone like JOC (James O'Connor) on my team and I'd make them shave their hair off and impose an 8PM curfew. He'd also get homework every day and I'd demand at least 95% or there would be hell to pay.

You know us South Africans. We just love doling out homework. Oh and then I'd sue just for the fuck of it.

No, you don't want me.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
What a fantastic pair of Super Rugby semis.

I'm stoked for the Brumbies and their fans, and in awe of George Smith. He's nothing short of incredible. The commentators talked about his 141 Super caps and 111 test caps. They didn't even mention all the games in France and Japan. To dominate a game the way he did last night after what has to be well over 300 professional games is astonishing.

Pusser

Larry Dwyer (12)
It occurred to me while watching a replay: why do the Bulls fans play the bullfight trumpet fanfare- don't they know the bull gets put to the sword at the end?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Ditto, but must add "girls" to include Angry Seahorse!!

Thank you Angry Seahorse. My apologies.

Cheers Mr Doug. I'm cool with the "guy" reference though I get that from people who know me in person (I consider it a unisex type of reference) :)

On the game itself. Well I wasn't sure I could stand to stay up & watch after the Saders game (positively deflated after that) but I'm glad I did. Bulls absolutely screwed themselves over with the decisions not to go for the 3's & the scrum was pretty terrible. Don't mean to lump all the blame on one player but by memory I'm sure Greyling (I'm sure it was Greyling) was responsible for some of the issues in the Bulls scrum that handed the Brumbies more points. That did not help. They did actually look good in the scrum later on but they shot themselves in the leg big time.

I was not expecting the Brumbies to win even though I voted for them to win - more a case of wishful thinking on my part. They defended pretty well, their set piece for most of the game was very good. I also liked how they put some good pressure on the Bulls line-out. Some of the passing from White was a bit wayward, Mogg missed catching a number of bombs - both will need to be sorted for their match with the Chiefs. George Smith was excellent especially saving that try where all the momentum was against him. Big step up to face the Chiefs but you've gotta be in it to win it as they say.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Cheers Mr Doug. I'm cool with the "guy" reference though I get that from people who know me in person (I consider it a unisex type of reference) :)

On the game itself. Well I wasn't sure I could stand to stay up & watch after the Saders game (positively deflated after that) but I'm glad I did. Bulls absolutely screwed themselves over with the decisions not to go for the 3's & the scrum was pretty terrible. Don't mean to lump all the blame on one player but by memory I'm sure Greyling (I'm sure it was Greyling) was responsible for some of the issues in the Bulls scrum that handed the Brumbies more points. That did not help. They did actually look good in the scrum later on but they shot themselves in the leg big time.

I was not expecting the Brumbies to win even though I voted for them to win - more a case of wishful thinking on my part. They defended pretty well, their set piece for most of the game was very good. I also liked how they put some good pressure on the Bulls line-out. Some of the passing from White was a bit wayward, Mogg missed catching a number of bombs - both will need to be sorted for their match with the Chiefs. George Smith was excellent especially saving that try where all the momentum was against him. Big step up to face the Chiefs but you've gotta be in it to win it as they say.
Decision to take the lineout instead of kick for posts when you have a new hooker, flank and lock coming onto the field is stupid.

Pusser

Larry Dwyer (12)
Decision to take the lineout instead of kick for posts when you have a new hooker, flank and lock coming onto the field is stupid.
Yes but when they took the points they could not get out of their half and the Brumbies scored. You could say the coach lost his nerve and that cost them the game. it was not an unreasonable plan if you consider the success they have had with the rolling maul. When was the last time you saw the Bulls fail to score from a rolling maul within 10 metres three times in a row after constant pressure?
While I have been a fan of taking the points ever since the Brumbies blew their first grand final appearance kicking for the corner, the plan itself was not necessarily stupid - except of course with the wonderful analytical tool of hindsight.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
Just saw the end of the replay on Fox, will watch the full game later but I must say I found it quite hilarious to hear how forlorn the usually over-excited SA commentators were as the Brumbies stole the game.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Yes but when they took the points they could not get out of their half and the Brumbies scored. You could say the coach lost his nerve and that cost them the game. it was not an unreasonable plan if you consider the success they have had with the rolling maul. When was the last time you saw the Bulls fail to score from a rolling maul within 10 metres three times in a row after constant pressure?
While I have been a fan of taking the points ever since the Brumbies blew their first grand final appearance kicking for the corner, the plan itself was not necessarily stupid - except of course with the wonderful analytical tool of hindsight.

well at least it would have meant its a draw and not a loss.
It was at altitude so longer the game goes on the more disadvantage the Brumbies would have become. It it went into extra time they would have struggled. But White did brilliantly playing for territory and making the time in opponents half count with getting away weith the points.

But it felt like the Bulls did not want to go to Hamilton. Like they rather stay at home than facing a Chiefs side with revenge of 2009 in their memories

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Just saw the end of the replay on Fox, will watch the full game later but I must say I found it quite hilarious to hear how forlorn the usually over-excited SA commentators were as the Brumbies stole the game.
don't listen to those lot. Radio for me with tv turned down. The best commentator for me is Tony Johnstone.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
It occurred to me while watching a replay: why do the Bulls fans play the bullfight trumpet fanfare- don't they know the bull gets put to the sword at the end?

In it's own Bullring the Bull very rarely loses.

Unless he has a captain who tells him to not kick for goal even though that is what he does with his eyes closed.

Apparently there's a big stink developing. Potgieter claims that he consulted with Steyn who agreed to not kick for goal. When asked about it Steyn said he was told but not consulted. Why he didn't just refuse and say he is going for goal I don't know.

Apparently the coaches were getting messages onto the field to go for goal and Potgieter ignored them.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm pretty certain after one of the later penalties one of the Bulls' players, pretty sure it was Kirchner, was near Joubert and pointed at the sticks but was then obviously overruled.........

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
cant be much between the ears of Potgieter. Maybe Jake is onto something when he said SA players are planks.

Anyways, after watching both semi's, all I can say is goodluck to the brumbies, they're going to need it.

lol needed it this week too.. I just think it be ugly game... and ugly fancys the brumbies

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The Bulls' problem is TMFP - Too Many Fucking Potgeiters.

The black haired one is a dickhead who achieved very little but try and antagonise blokes a lot harder than him.

The blond one has the burden of being captain and turning down kickable points which any South African in the viewing public must want to kill him over.

Now look, I understand his logic - getting out of their half just sucked. It was bloody hard to beat the Brumbies at a kicking contest.

o_O

Let me say that again, but with more "fact": the Bulls couldn't beat the Brumbies at a kicking contest. Barely got third behind daylight for some of it.

A South African side, featuring the kickingest flyhalf in the history of the comp, not only turned down points which blind Frikkie could kick, but couldn't out kick an Aussie side featuring a few back line players who struggled to get into the Wallabies (they've got a Saffer coach, but ...)

Jeezus Harold Christ on a rubber fucking race hose. This is the breaking of the first seal. Get ready for Armageddon folks.

Either that or Aussie rugby is about to turn a corner. I said somewhere else that Mogg would be fucking handy on the EOYT due to his big boot, but shit he demonstrated it last night. Sign him, pay him. Give him Kurtley's top up money, maybe?

In any case, there were a few other reasons the Brumbies won, but basically most of them amount to the Bulls being shit. Barely any attack not orchestrated by Hougaard, few of their big blokes able to breach the gain line except that Hattingh bloke, and a skipper determined to try and ignore the fact that Speight and Kuridrani are mad fluffybunnies.

And Bjorn Basson was hideous. Probably twice as hideous as one G Smith was awesome. And the Brumbies' defence, which should have been no surprise to the Bulls' leadership group, as they've been fucking up sides for the last two seasons with miserly defence.

Take the three, try to kick your way out of trouble after the restart. Its better than scoring nothing at all, and at least you know where you stand. Kick the next one from 60 if you have to, but at least you're up by more than 3...

Its at the core of Bulls rugby FFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.