• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2014 – ITM CUP - NZ's 3rd Tier Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Cantabs bringing back their big guns (plus Taylor & Slade lol) in an effort to get things back on track prior to the semis. Can't see them being good enough to knock they 'naki over, just hoping for a better effort that they can build on next week, when they'll possibly have DC back as well.

Canterbury: Colin Slade, Patrick Osborne, Jack Goodhue, Rob Thompson, Johnny McNicholl, Tom Taylor, Mitchell Drummond, Nasi Manu (c), Matt Todd, Luke Whitelock, Scott Barrett, Dominic Bird, Nepo Laulala, Ben Funnell, Alex Hodgman. Reserves: Codie Taylor, Daniel Lienert-Brown, JJ Manning, Tom Sanders, Steve Alfeld, Adam Whitelock, Milford Keresoma.

Congrats to Manawatu on winning the Championship round-robin. Pretty sure they'll win the whole thing & take Welington's spot in the Premiership & that many, many Manawatuites with long memories will be well pleased by that.............

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
They have just mentioned that Rohan Saifoloi has taken the field for Tasman Makos, after Marty Banks intercept try.

Is that the same bloke that plays for the Hobbits at #10 in Shute Shield?

Yeah - the same bloke; they parked him on the wing. He took the last conversion if I remember right.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Seriously? That side will smash anyone. (except Melbourne Rising)

You certainly wouldn't want to be playing that lineup in the SF next week, which Taranaki will be if they lose (& may still do even if they win). I just think they're vulnerable this week on account of there being so many changes & 'Naki being at home with a real chance of taking out top spot.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Weren't good enough to beat Manawatu or Hawkes Bay this year, at least one of which will be in next years' Championship. I can see it taking them 2-3 years to get back into the Premiership.

Hawkes Bay & Southland 17-17 inside the last 10.

EDIT: 20-20 FT, Shield stays in The Bay for summer. Southland up by 3 with fuckall left on the clock, Ihaia West saves it with a DG.

www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/provincial/10606755/All-square-but-Hawkes-Bay-keep-Ranfurly-Shield

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Exciting but error ridden game in The Bay. Happy to see the Shield stay in The Bay for the summer, but can't see them holding it if they come up against any Premiership teams next year.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
'nua draw for the 2nd time this year, 13-13 v Poverty Bay, but it's enough for them to make the Meads Cup (Top 4) semis:

1. Buller v 4. Horowhenua-Kapiti
2. Poverty Bay v 3. Mid Canterbury

Lochore Cup semis:

5. King Country v 8. Wanganui (Thames Valley pipped on PD)
6. South Canterbury v 7. North Otago

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Exciting but error ridden game in The Bay. Happy to see the Shield stay in The Bay for the summer, but can't see them holding it if they come up against any Premiership teams next year.
Probably best result that Hawkes bay could get, by drawing they hold the shield, and by not winning no home semis etc, so don't put shield on line again this season.
I personally am going to be a bit sad when ITM cup finishes ,as I have found personally I think I enjoying it more than I do super rugby!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^ Shield isn't played for in Finals, only round-robin.

Championship semis are Manawatu v Southland & Hawkes Bay v Northland.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Hey I enjoy watching the occasional ITM game, but I don't understand the format. Could someone please explain the premiership stuff and is there relegation or something?
Thanks

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hey I enjoy watching the occasional ITM game, but I don't understand the format. Could someone please explain the premiership stuff and is there relegation or something?
Thanks

Short answer:

The teams who finish 1st to 6th in this years Premiership will be joined in next years comp by whoever wins the Championship. The team that finishes last in the Prem gets relegated.

Everyone plays everyone else in their division plus 4 teams from the other. It used to be a full round-robin but Super Rugby expansion made that unworkable so NZRU tried to reduce it to 10 but pretty much everyone * objected so the current format was adopted as a compromise.

The 12 provinces not in the ITM Cup play in the amateur Heartland Championship and there is no promotion/ relegation between the two comps.

* the most prominent non-objector being Wellington which is what makes their current predicament karma.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Thanks WO, extremely helpful. Very interesting set up...
So does that mean if you're in the top 7 when you start, you can only qualify for the Premiership play offs and if you're in the bottom 7, you can only qualify for the championships?

Is there ever a team from the Championship that could've easily qualified for the Premiership?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yes and yes all the time. Manawatu were 8-2 this year and beat Counties, Waikato, Wellington (premiership sides)

Counties in 2012 and Tasman in 2013 were excellent Championship sides that would've made strides in the Premiership finals.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well not really, the next year they're in the Premiership and can compete with the big boys. Both the 2012 and 2013 promoted teams have made the playoffs so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.