• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2014 IRB Junior World Championship – New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Scrum prior to one of McCalman (NSW) tries.
BjoZ3gDCMAAl03x.jpg:large

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
NSW Team Sheet vs Queensland
1. O'Connor
2. Vea
3. Robertson
4. Hanigan
5. Philip (c)
6. Croke
7. Johnson
8. Whitley
9. Pulver
10. Deegan
11. Clunies-Ross
12. Horwitz
13. Kellaway
14. Gallagher
15. Vaux

16. Fiangaa
17. Orr
18. Sandell
19. Sio
20. McCalman
21. Natoli
22. Abrahams
23. Jones

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
Now the championship is completed anyone brave enough to have a crack at a possible Aus 20s team / squad?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
SA Preparations
SA Rugby
Junior Bok hopefuls to kick off two-month JWC training camp

March 25, 2014
The process to select the SA Under-20 squad to represent South Africa at the 2014 IRB Junior World Championship in New Zealand will begin on Sunday when the expanded training group gathers in Stellenbosch for an intensive two-month training camp.
The group, consisting of almost 70 of the country’s most promising Under-20 players, will play trial matches on Monday, 31 March and Wednesday 2 April in Stellenbosch. Following the trials, the squad will be reduced to approximately 40 players to continue with preparations ahead of the JWC 2014.
The Junior World Championship will be held in Auckland from June 2 to 20, 2014.
Dawie Theron, the SA U20 coach and members of the SARU Mobi-Unit will guide the players through a series of planning, field and conditioning sessions before a short break for the Easter holidays. A reduced squad of approximately 40 players will then return to Stellenbosch, from which the final JWC squad will be selected.
SARU will announce the SA Under-20 JWC squad of 28 players on Tuesday, April 22, at a media conference in Cape Town.
The training camp will include two trial matches, scheduled for next Monday and Wednesday, daily training, conditioning and strategic planning sessions, as well as a much-anticipated three-match international series against the Argentina Under-20 side.
Last month, the SA U20 coach and the SARU Mobi-Unit hosted one-day planning sessions in Johannesburg and Cape Town, where the coach shared his vision and mission for the upcoming camp, among other things.
Next week’s trial matches will give the players the opportunity to play themselves into contention for selection for the reduced training group before the final JWC squad is selected.
“The gathering of the large group of players will be the culmination of an extensive period of work behind the scenes where we meticulously planned the two-month training camp and identified the large pool of players,” said Theron.
He added he was very pleased with the game time the majority of the players have been afforded so far this season.
“Thanks to the excellent relationship and constant communication between SARU and the various provincial coaches, I am pleased with the amount of game time these players have had this season.
“It is a huge improvement from previous years, and hopefully it will count in our favour as we go in search of the title.,” explained Theron.
The following three players were not considered for the camp due to Vodacom Super Rugby commitments: André Esterhuizen (Cell C Sharks), Handré Pollard and Jessie Kriel (Vodacom Bulls).
Furthermore, the SARU medical team and their provincial colleagues will continue to monitor the rehabilitation programmes of the following injured players: Kevin Kaba (EP Kings, knee), Ryno Eksteen (DHL WP, knee), Duhan van der Merwe (Vodacom Blue Bulls/SARU, knee), Grant Hermanus (Paarl Gymnasium, hamstring).
The players who were selected for the original training group, but will not be travelling to Stellenbosch for the trials, will still be considered for inclusion in the official JWC squad.
SARU has made the following arrangements to assist the players gain as much game time as possible in the next few weeks:
• Players competing in the Varsity Cup Young Guns final will be requested to report for duty in Stellenbosch on Tuesday, April 1, 2014.
• Players selected in their respective provincial union’s starting lineups in the Vodacom Cup competition for the weekend of the (April 4/ 5) will be released back to their unions on Thursday, April 3 in preparation of these fixtures.
• Players representing their Universities in either the Varsity Cup promotion/ relegation fixture or the Varsity Cup final, which will both take place on the April 7, 2014, will also be released on Thursday, April 3 in preparation for those matches.
The following group of players will assemble in Stellenbosch on Sunday:
Vodacom Blue Bulls:Rohan Janse van Rensburg, Dan Kriel, Pierre Schoeman, Duncan Mathews, JP Smith, Corniel Els, Wilco Louw, Dayan van der Westhuizen, Abongile Nonkontwana, Arno van Wyk, Leighton van Wyk, Janse van Rensburg, RG Snyman, Heinrich Viljoen, Kobus Marais, Warrick Gelant, Ganfried May, Marcus Kleinbooi, Chris Massyn, Nqoba Mxoli
Golden Lions:Malcom Marx, Michael Hazner, Ramone Samuels, Jaco Van der Walt, Jano Venter, Thabo Mabuza, Victor Sisekete, Christiaan Meyer, Pieter Scholtz, Stephan Vermeulen, Cyle Brink, Dylan Smith, Kock Marx.
GWK Griquas:Hillford Clarke.
Leopards:Dean Stokes, Lloyd Greef.
Toyota Free State:Ox Nche, Joseph Dweba, Mthokozisi Mkhabela, Nicolaas Lee.
EP Kings:Aidon Davis, Sergeal Petersen.
Cell C Sharks:Thomas du Toit, Gideon Koegelenberg, Chris de Beer, Jean-Luc du Plessis, Dan du Preez, Jean-Luc du Preez, Neil Maritz, Sandile Khubeka, Cameron Wright, Ayron Schramm, Ray Williams, Sias Koen, Alrin Eksteen
DHL Western Province:JD Schickerling, Jacques Vermeulen, Ernst Stapelberg, Daniel du Plessis, Jarryd Sage, SP Ferreira, Justin Philips, Dewald Naude, Chad Solomon, Frans van Wyk, Jan Uys, EW Viljoen, Rikus Bothma.
The SA U20 camp will include the following activities:
Camp One
When: 31 March – 16 April 2014
Where: Stellenbosch Academy of Sport
Camp Two
When: 23 April – 17 May 2014
Where: Stellenbosch Academy of Sport and Cape Town
SA U20 international friendlies vs Argentina U20:
09 May: SA vs Argentina (City Park Stadium, Cape Town)
13 May: SA vs Argentina (Paul Roos, Stellenbosch)
17 May: SA vs Argentina (Saldanha Rugby Club, Saldanha)
JWC Holding camp
When: 23 – 26 May 2014
Capping Ceremony
When: 25 May 2014
Squad Departure
When: 26 May 2014
Where: Cape Town International Airport
SA U20 2014 JWC fixtures:
2 June: SA vs Scotland (North Harbor)
6 June: SA vs New Zealand (North Harbor)
10 June: SA vs Samoa (Pukekohe)
15 June: Playoffs (Tbc)
20 June: Finals (Auckland)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
NSW v QLD U20 Match report - from @burrawong

And so we begin - Light rain. Game on.
Awesome run by 12 & 13 put NSW in attack straight away
Cracking Qld kick to get deep into nsw 22, won line out, attacking phase to draw penalty right in front. QLD 3 NSW 0
Unbelievable burst by 1 O'Connor gets NSW into QLD 22, sustained attack ends in nsw knock on. Missed opportunity.
Tussle. Scrums quite even. Good defence on both sides causing mistakes in attack. Great hard run by Deegan.
Still tussling. Mistakes on both sides. Good run from Croke ends in NSW penalty.
NSW line out well into qld territory good win. Great sustained play, strong run from Deegan & Whiteley.
Attack! Attack! Try to Pulver. NSW 5 QLD 2
Qld knock on put NSW in attack. Incisive run by Deegan from quick turn over ball to Kellaway to Clunies-Ross TRY
Horwitz converts NSW 12 QLD 3
Pressure from QLD alleviated by excellent Horowitz kick. Qld win line out, but NSW pilfer & again in attack.
QLD draw penalty (infringement in the ruck) kick good by Greene 12-6 to NSW.
QLD knock on kick off, nsw scrum get the ball to hard running Kellaway who draws the penalty, but kick misses. Scores remain 12-6.
Deegan busy. Lots of NSW hit ups gaining ground, Sam Greene cleared ball, picked up by Gallagher - ran through entire QLD team to pass to clunies-Ross TRY
Horwitz converts now NSW 19 QLD 6.
Great work by Hanigan to win line out & put NSW in attack. Ball going out well along NSW backline.
QLD penalty for NSW off side but goal attempt missed. Score remains 19-6.

Conditions deteriorating into steady rain at Oranges.
NSW 19 QLD 6.
Half time comments:
NSW forwards working as a pack, great speed to the breakdown, providing front foot ball to the backs
Too many penalties. "Put your whistle away ref".
Combination on left wing giving NSW advantage.

We're back "live" - 2nd Half starts in pouring rain.
McMillan on for QLD. Sandall off/Robertson on for NSW.
Scrappy start in wet conditions.
QLD show life with excellent run from 15 but turned over by NSW.
Incredible defence by Deegan turns ball over.
NSW scrum off Croke turn over.
Weight of possession to QLD, more vigour.
NSW Subs. McCalman, Sio & Fainga'a on for Johnson, Whiteley & Vea. All 3 have been outstanding
Determined QLD attack but stunning NSW defence creates ruck penalty.
Hanigan winning great line out but kicked to Qld by Pulver. NSW keep giving ball to QLD.
Hanigan & Sandell awesome in aggressive defence.
Sio & Sandell driving ball up field, great attack. NSW win penalty.
Dangerous QLD tackle = penalty to NSW who elect for scrum.
Sustained pressure on line results in another NSW scrum.
Blistering NSW attack through forwards leads to try by McCalman. Conversion hits the upright. NSW leads 24 - QLD 6.
Hanigan disrupts QLD line out, turn over!
Outstanding clearance kick by Vaux.
Hanigan takes exception to something suggested by Greene, and Phillip yellow carded. Mistaken identity? Hanigan looking sheepish.
Horwitz hard in defence. Outstanding.
Hanigan steals QLD line out ball.
QLD trying to gain continuity in attack but NSW scrambling beautifully in defence.
NSW Sub: Jones on for Gallagher.
Weight of possession still with QLD but NSW spoiling well.
Well worked try to QLD #6. Fang comes alive. NSW couldn't hold out without Philip. He's now back on. NSW 24 QLD 11.
NSW Sub: Natoli for Pulver.
QLD again on attack, peppering NSW line.
4 mins to go, NSW leading 24 - 11.
QLD score converted try. NSW 24 QLD 18.
Awesome Philip steal from kick off puts NSW on attack and McCalman scores.
Conversion successful on Full time.
Final score NSW 31 QLD 18.

Hugh's Man of the Match award goes to the twitterati dame - @Burrawong - fresh fingers off the bench for @cdeegan on twitter.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Saffers seem to be taking their preparations for Jnr RWC pretty seriously.

Thanks for the link @PaarlBok.

Learned One

Allen Oxlade (6)
Thanks everybody for the reports first or second hand.

Congrats to the ARU for putting on this competition in what I suppose to be an affordable way.

[Incidentally, I wouldn't be surprised if the IRB chipped in for the participation of Tonga].

But the ARU media people need a kick up the bum. There is no info on tournament results on their website as I write this.

Also, two months ago, following an enquiry by me, an ARU media person said that the ARU were approaching You Tube for streaming certain ARU matches—details not disclosed.

When I followed up last week to see if the National U20s would be streamed, that guy was no longer with the ARU, but he had arranged for an automatic reply email message to email his manager after he left.

When I contacted that person, she said that somebody would be in touch with me, but it never happened.

I realise that a lot of grunt work is done by interns but somebody should be managing them better. Or maybe they don't have enough of them.

PS — Oz U20 Head Coach, Adrian Thompson, told me last week that the Southern States side would be very strong. (Remember, they were chosen from a tournament in Adelaide a month ago and included teams from outside Sydney and Brisbane—i.e. Qld Country, NSW Country, ACT, Victoria, SA and WA.]

It looks like Thompson was right on the money.
There was a film unit on top of the grandstand today so obviously the games are being recorded. A bloke with your influence may still be able to get them posted on Utube. I'm sure the general rugby community would enjoy the viewing . Both games today were terrific, especially the Qld vs NSW clash. Dont know about " a kick up the bum for the ARU" because the concept is a massive improvement however some tweaking at the margins may be necessary.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Saffers seem to be taking their preparations for Jnr RWC pretty seriously.

Thanks for the link @PaarlBok.
There are some serious talent from this part coming through. I thought they would play Varsity Cup but not at all. That WP group was preparing with Dawie Theron (he is in my church) all year. Pretty sure they will play at least Vodacom Cup next year.

Learned One

Allen Oxlade (6)
I'll start. :D

5. Tom Staniforth
Well done, Kiap, i admire your courage!!!

Let's make a start on positions and why not begin with halfback!!

I understand last year we took 3 halfbacks but with the tournament just across the ditch perhaps we need only 2 and if things get desperate a phone call get someone over in a day.
Angus Pulver and Scott Gale for me with Joe Powell as shadow . I chose Gale over Powell who played well, mainly based on his kicking game. He has a sweet left foot and as I recall all the likely 10s are dominantly right footed so some variation may be useful. The unlucky one is Fabian Natoli who I suspect is the lad you want if the games in NZ are played in atrocious conditions where its a forwards slog fest but we just didnt see enough from him in these championships. there are no bad players - someone has to miss out.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Sounds like the Southern States had the best forward pack and NSW the best backs. That might be a place to start from. Add in the guys who are still eligible last year (assuming their form gets them on board) and blam-moh.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I Dont know about " a kick up the bum for the ARU" because the concept is a massive improvement

What I actually said was:
But the ARU media people need a kick up the bum. There is no info on tournament results on their website as I write this

I have been a cheerleader for the ARU for putting on three new competitions this year.

But surely their media people could have done better in letting the rugby public know the daily results.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
A sizeable lad is our Tom.

196 cms and 113 kgs. As I said in my blog last year: I thought he was the best player for Aus in the 2013 IRB JWC tournament; so it is no surprise that he was the Player of the Aus U20 comp in 2014.

It sounds like the Southern States pack was the best in the comp and I expect that props Sa'aga and Ala'alatoa will tour with Staniforth at the very least.

Going by match reports it looks like Oz will be well-served in the second row by Staniforth and Philip. I will be happy for Philip if he is in the team because he was chosen for 2013 but couldn't go because of an osteitis pubis problem.

Hanigan could be in the second row mix also although he hasn't even played Colts yet and his future is really as a 6. He has made every post a winning post since being chosen for the Oz Schools Ones last year and is playing a hard game.

The flankers will have big engines whoever they choose and if Dempsey is fit I'm confident he will be in the squad, as will Fakaosilea be, but Super Rugby starter McMahon will be ahead of them both—and I know that Aus Under 20 coach, Adrian Thompson, has high regard for ACT 7. Rowan Perry.

As I have mentioned before: I hope that Sio showed enough fitness in Canberra to be chosen at no.8 because he was the only Oz backrower to bend the line in France last year, and there is only so much that blue-heeler flankers can do.

If the last two years have been a guide: the Oz U20 forwards need as many bruising players as they can get—even in the backrow.

Something I didn't expect was the regular use by NSW of Tahs EPS player David Horwitz (the Randwick First Grade flyhalf last year) at inside centre, and 2013 Oz Schools fullback, Andrew Kellaway, at outside centre. The NSW backline got almost rave reviews, and since they were in the middle of it they would have a chance to be selected on merit in the centres. At least, their versatility value in a squad will be well regarded at selection time.

Foketi will probably play 13 in big games and Robinson on the wing but I haven't seen either in 2014.

I didn't expect that Deegan would get in the Oz Squad this year but he must be a chance now because of Horwitz playing at 12 and McIntyre not even in the Qld team (though I don't know why.)

Sorry that I haven't mentioned Queenslanders, but I haven't seen them this year and some I haven't seen since they were at school in 2012—nor have there been many comments about them in this thread. Placid will be the main fullback though.

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
I didn't expect that Deegan would get in the Oz Squad this year but he must be a chance now because of Horwitz playing at 12 and McIntyre not even in the Qld team (though I don't know why.)

McIntyre was injured with a hamstring (?) problem I think, not sure about his availability for the world cup. Also another one to consider who was injured but may be back is Jim Stewart.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I assumed it was an injury—but thanks for that. He wasn't great playing flyhalf for the Aus U20s last year, but 12 months more experience and conditioning at that age makes a substantial difference.

Stewart would definitely be a consideration. Anybody who started for Sydney Uni last year in First Grade (before the return of Super Rugby ring-ins) as an U19 eligible player, would have to be considered.

redhead

Herbert Moran (7)
Last day saw SS disposing Tonga 55-5 with one sided affair. I believe most the replacement have been used. Forwards dominated (TS, Saaga, Alatoa) but the player of the game was N0 14 Mitch Third ( based in QLD). He was unstoppable.
The game of the day NSW-QLD started even with fierce contest at the breakdowns and line-outs. However after 20 minutes NSW backs showed their potential and slick work from Horwitz and wingers led to consecutive 3 tries. QLD team started to make simple mistakes and backs were never in the game as the ball was kicked back to NSW most of the times. It all looked like the game was over after 60minutes with NSW leading 24-6. But then QLD forwards (leading by No 6 - Korczyk) stepped up their intensity. Korczyk crushed through the NSW line twice to bring the results to 24-18 at 2.30 min to the end. Glimmer of hope for QLD was quickly extinguished after the restart as QLD lost the ball, another try and a game. 31-18. NSW better team on the field.

In summary
NSW the best team overall Best backs of the comp.
SS the best forward pack of the comp
QLD no team (a bit harsh) but some players who should be considered for RWC.

Why QLD failed: injuries (McIntyre, Mitchel, Cornelson, playing with injuries Pleash, Korczyk), no playmakers ( neither 10 or 12) and few other reasons. One small point in all that, Fakosilea, Gunn, Greene, Korczyk, Placid are 18-19ys old, younger that respective NSW, SS players. They will be back bone of 2015 team I hope.

Best player of comp- Tom Staniforth (acknowledged officially)

NSW
Backs – all should be in team plus Deegan
Forwards – Phillips, Whiteley ( better than Sio), ? Dempsey (did not play)
Front row – worth considering
?Hanigan – with bright future

SS
Saaga, Alatoa, Staniforth, Perry
Tomane plus N0 10

QLD
Fakosilea, Korczyk and Gale
Placid had few excellent runs against NSW,
Gunn and Greene did not impress

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
<snip>
Stewart would definitely be a consideration. Anybody who started for Sydney Uni last year in First Grade (before the return of Super Rugby ring-ins) as an U19 eligible player, would have to be considered.
I see that Randwick have listed Kellaway on the bench for their opening Shute Shield Game against the Beasties (http://www.rugbynews.net.au/).

Wicks Coach Wade Kelly has previously displayed a preference for promoting former Scots 1st XV into Grade.

Likely to see him starting later in the season if he can remain injury free?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom