• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2014 IRB Junior World Championship – New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.

redhead

Herbert Moran (7)
Combined States upset QLD 16-11 , apparently a great game considering the conditions.

SS-QLD 19-14
First 40 minutes very even. 6-6 with tonnes of work done by forwards. QLD had optical advantage but could not convert chances. Dominant in line outs. It all changed in the second half. First 20 minutes still even but then SS forwards took over the game. QLD game became to crumble. Greene was holding the ball for too long and simple mistakes of under pressure forwards gifted the SS possession and then a try. 19-9 and game over. Last 10 minutes saw furious attacks from QLD but they only managed a single try. Not enough to win this game. SS deserved its historic victory.

NSW-Tonga 40-8
The game was quickly over. NSW too powerful and slick for ambitious Tongan. Few injury concerns for Wednesday (Dempsey).

It all will come to the last game. From what teams presented so far NSW is a clear favourite here. However QLD will not capitulate without a fight, this is certain. They will also have Korczyk back from injury. Its going to be a cracker.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
SS-QLD 19-14
First 40 minutes very even. 6-6 with tonnes of work done by forwards. QLD had optical advantage <snip>
Its going to be a cracker.
That is refreshing to hear. Far too often Queenslanders are accused of being one eyed. Hard to gain an optical advantage with only one eye, unless as the old saying goes, "In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king".:)

History has shown my tip of Qld being favourites for this tournament to be as reliable as my footy tipping has been this year.

There will be some real competition for a place in the touring party, and the selection process will be 1000% better than the three selection camps over 6 months that we have had previously. Hoping this will translate into a more solid performance at the JWC.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Thanks everybody for the reports first or second hand.

Congrats to the ARU for putting on this competition in what I suppose to be an affordable way.

[Incidentally, I wouldn't be surprised if the IRB chipped in for the participation of Tonga].

But the ARU media people need a kick up the bum. There is no info on tournament results on their website as I write this.

Also, two months ago, following an enquiry by me, an ARU media person said that the ARU were approaching You Tube for streaming certain ARU matches—details not disclosed.

When I followed up last week to see if the National U20s would be streamed, that guy was no longer with the ARU, but he had arranged for an automatic reply email message to email his manager after he left.

When I contacted that person, she said that somebody would be in touch with me, but it never happened.

I realise that a lot of grunt work is done by interns but somebody should be managing them better. Or maybe they don't have enough of them.

PS — Oz U20 Head Coach, Adrian Thompson, told me last week that the Southern States side would be very strong. (Remember, they were chosen from a tournament in Adelaide a month ago and included teams from outside Sydney and Brisbane—i.e. Qld Country, NSW Country, ACT, Victoria, SA and WA.]

It looks like Thompson was right on the money.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Referees for the Australia Under-20 matches

New South Wales vs Tonga
Referee: Ed Martin

Queensland vs Southern States & Country
Referee: Damien Mitchelmore

Tonga vs Southern States & Country
Referee: Will Houston

New South Wales vs Queensland
Referee: Ed Martin

Barry Johns

Frank Row (1)
From another point of view....
Considering the combined states team have only been training together since Thursday last week their results have been outstanding in my opinion. More information on who is playing in this team would be great. Both games against nsw and qld have been crackers with CS showing that this competition for Aussie U20 selection is very worthwhile.
Any idea why there is such a lack of information about this competition? This blog seems to be the best (only) source of info available!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Perhaps the view from the powers that be (all the unpaid interns appear to have been sacked) is that this tournament is "just" a selection trial, therefore no need to publicise it or feed the media/public.

I suspect that the team coaches, players and supporters have a different view. There will be plenty at stake in todays match between NSW and QLD, not just a place in the National U20's squad. These young men have been up against each other since the Under 16's and they care little for previous form and results going into this game. Bragging rights only exist based on the most recent encounter.

If it is not the Wallabies, it is rather difficult to get any timely information out of the official sources.

Maybe the "300" left guarding HQ Rugby at St Leonards have been too busy dealing with NRC launch?

It does look like there should be a few from the "Other States" squad selected for higher honours.

T

TOCC

I think it's a little flattering to draw comparisons between the ARU HQ and 300 men willing to sacrifice their lives..

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
@TOCC, I thought about that as well, but went with the Rorkes Drift theme of all remaining people at Fortress St Leonards after the last staff culling exercise "manning the pumps" as it were, regardless of what their actual organisational chart position is.

Not so much a few "willing to sacrifice their lives", but the remaining few around doing the job of "others" because there are no "others" left.

Dyson

Peter Burge (5)
What you said is true Hugh these players have been going at it since u16. That's the problem kids change but unless you have been in a program since way back then it's hard to break in. There are guys in Brisbane that are 19 and 20 playing Prems at Souths,Wests,Sunnybank,Norths and probably other clubs that can't get in over guys that have never played Prems but made a school rep team three or four years ago. School footy is over time to look to the future.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
@Dyson, I am surprised at how quickly the Qld Prem Clubs do promote some of the recent School leavers to first grade footy. Some are ready for it, many are not.

Down here in Mexico, it seldom occurs, and if it does it is usually as a guest appearance or two from Colts, off the bench and against a weaker opponent. Second year out from School a few more make it to Grade with a few being regular starters (usually backs), never Props of Locks.

Given that QLD boys typically finish High School a year before the rest of the country, I would have though it a little unwise to have those 18 year old kids playing against seasoned premiership grade players.

Do you have some sort of player points cap, with discount for "loyal" service with the club, as we do down here? This just seems to provide an incentive to the clubs to lock the young "rockstars" in early.

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
Pigoen just arrived from ACT..........

NSWup 19-6 at half time.....

Raining

Matt Philp Yellow carded...case of mistaken identity ???

Qld close the gap - 24 - 18 with just minutes to go...

And McAlman in next to the posts....8 seconds left...

I will let someone else fill in the blanks.........

Well done Tahs !!

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
ASICS Player of the Championships - Tom Staniforth from ACT / Southern States.

A deserved winner - has been absolutely outstanding in all matches played.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Queensland Team Sheet:
1. Markus VANZATI
2. Alifeleti KAITU'U
3. Benjamin TARR
4. Jack PAYNE
5. Sam FATTAL
6. Adam KORCZYK
7. Michael GUNN
8. Lolo FAKASOLIA
9. Scott GALE
10. Sam GREENE
11. Isaiah MOSESE
12. Nigel TANUVASA
13. Giles BEVERIDGE
14. Thomas BANKS
15. Jonah PLACID

16. Francois POSTAL
17. Aaron PLEASH
18. Dylan SIKIMITI
19. Terrin WALLS
20. Douglan MacMILLAN
21. Adam DECK
22. Patrick JAMES
23. Levi AUMUA

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
ASICS Player of the Championships - Tom Staniforth from ACT / Southern States.

A deserved winner - has been absolutely outstanding in all matches played.

A sizeable lad is our Tom.
BjoiN6eCAAAu58G.jpg:large

Status
Not open for further replies.