• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2014 IRB Junior World Championship – New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Draw for the U20's tournament:

SATURDAY 22 MARCH
1 QLD v Tonga 1445
2 NSW v Southern States & Country Regions 1830

SUNDAY 23 MARCH
BREAK

MONDAY 24 MARCH
3 NSW v Tonga 1600
4 QLD v Southern States & Country Regions 1745

TUESDAY 25 MARCH
BREAK

WEDNESDAY 26 MARCH
5 Tonga v Southern States & Country Regions 1400
6 QLD v NSW 1545

All Games at Viking Park, Canberra

Source:http://www.rugby.com.au/Portals/18/...Championship/2014 National U20 Draw_Final.pdf

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I'm very interested to see how this year's team goes. Last year's side had arguably the best pack in the tournament but a terrible backline.

Arguably maybe but I seem to remember that Wales taught us a lesson or three in the first game.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
qwerty

I thought the Ireland pack was better last year - not as individuals but in their team play and they got a win in the pool game because of it.

Our fellows had a skinny backlog of team forward coaching to fall back on and this is exactly why the five months of training for U20 selection in the three Aussies teams is so damn vital. The actual games are just the exams.

I thought they were weak at flyhalf in 2013 but three of them who could play 10 were U/19s and they will be better this year.

And David Horwitz looked good in the NSW Colts trials against Argentina and the Oz Baas—but he is not a great goal-kicker.

Here is the fixture list for the National Under 20s tournament.

I think I wrote earlier that the matches will be played at Duntroon, but they will be played at Viking Park in Wanniassa.

Also I thought it started on Friday 21st March but it starts on Saturday March 22nd.

Under 20s tournament 2014.jpg

Edit: Oops I wrote this hours ago as a response to qwerty, but didn't use the "post" button - and I see now that HJ has already posted the details.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)

Go back to page 6 of this thread for the NSW U20 team list, or click on the little arrow thingy in the Green bar above just after "Hugh Jarse said:" or follow the link to Tahs facebook page.(any of the them will work)

Remember that Team Rehab Selectors get top priority pick of players, so the squad may have changed slightly, or may change slightly before the first game.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Arguably maybe but I seem to remember that Wales taught us a lesson or three in the first game.

Ireland. We were a bit under done. I think that the referee did a really poor job with the scrums. The Irish tighthead was being lifted off the ground a couple of times and we got penalised for boring in?! How do you not bore in when your opposite number doesn't have his feet on the ground. After that one game, we dominated NZ in the forwards.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
I wouldn't be surprised if the 3 Aust Teams don't have a couple of very young and fit looking assistant Hydration Consultants listed on the admin staff of their 23 man Squads.

They may also happen to have their boots with them. That would help them to run the water out to the Players, wouldn't it?

And if a player just happened to get the tap on the shoulder from the Team Rehab Selectors .....

Apparently in NZ, legend has it that the East Coast ITM Heartland cup team Bus Driver has taken the field on more than one occasion, and if it is good enough for the kiwis then why not give the water boy a go? He looks young and fit, and could probably catch and pass a ball... .... ...

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
A squad of 23 (named above) were sent to Ballymore, but 28 are going to Canberra, next weekend, so there are 5 to be added.

There has not been a "NSW Colts" team named officially that I can find on the net but I would be surprised if those 23 were not in the 28.

My understanding is that winger/fullback Harry Jones and prop Tomas Robertson will be two of the players added to the 23.

I did a blog which was an interview with Australia Under 20 coach, Adrian Thompson, this morning.

It is here: http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/interview-with-australian-under-20s-coach-adrian-thompson/

As usual, if you have any comments on the blog please write them there not here.

Thanks
LG

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
My snouts tell me that the likely backline for NSW Colts for the first game is:

9. Angus Pulver, 10. Andrew Deegan, 11. Henry Clunies-Ross, 12. David Horwitz, 13. Andrew Kellaway, 14. Harry Jones, 15. Jonny Vaux.

AK (Andrew Kellaway) as an outside centre? that will be something to watch. Horwitz as inside centre is not so unusual as he has played there for Aus Schools.

I would have chosen the Manly Colts pair in the midfield but as in Schools tournaments, and indeed, the Junior World Cup, all the players are likely to get a starting game; so we shouldn't read too much into who is starting or not starting in this game—or the next one.

And the Manly lads started in the last trial game.

Learned One

Allen Oxlade (6)
And I would have chosen the entire Sydney Uni 2013 back three.

After last years grand final there are two lads wondering just what you have to do to get an opportunity to trial !!!!

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
And David Horwitz looked good in the NSW Colts trials against Argentina and the Oz Baas—but he is not a great goal-kicker.

What were the scores in those trials?

Surely the Pampas would have been a bit of a mismatch given they beat a pretty strong Waratahs A team in the PRC. Unless the Pampas ran out only their younger and 2nd string players against the Colts?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
And I would have chosen the entire Sydney Uni 2013 back three.

After last years grand final there are two lads wondering just what you have to do to get an opportunity to trial !!!!
For starters they picked one player from Uni ahead of them.
Secondly,it took a very dubious try to win the game to which you refer.
After the opposition had the 12 sent off,and the 10 replaced by the 8 very early on.
So the Uni backline definitely got the rub of the green that day,behind a dominant pack.
Finally,I have read that Cheika asked each club to nominate players deserving of a trial.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
From the Waratahs Media Unit

NSW Colts squad for the National Under 20 Championships

Forwards
Rory O’Connor (Manly)
Matt Sandell (Sydney University)
Tom Robertson (Sydney University)
Cameron Orr (West Harbour)
Folau Fainga'a (Sydney University)
Tevita Vea (Randwick)
Siotame Kavapalu (Manly)
Matthew Phillip (Manly)
Ned Hanigan (Randwick)
Cameron Skelton (Sydney University)
Jack Johnson (Randwick)
Jack Dempsey (Gordon)
Sam Croke (Northern Suburbs)
Jack McCalman (Sydney University)
Pat Sio (Eastwood)
Mitch Whitely (Sydney University)

Backs
Angus Pulver (Sydney University)
Fabian Natoli (Manly)
David Horwitz (Randwick)
Andrew Deegan (Randwick
Andrew Kellaway (Randwick)
Ellis Abraham (Manly)
Benson Fakau (Manly)
Henry Cluines Ross (Sydney University)
Jonny Vaux (Sydney University)
Will Paterson (Eastern Suburbs)
Harry Jones (Warringah)
Daniel Gallagher (Eastern Suburbs)

Train on with squad:
Sam Kitchen (Northern Suburbs)
Mitch Short (Randwick)

There no shortage of skilled loosies with big engines, as ever in Oz Under 20 teams; so I'm glad that no.8 Pat Sio made the team to give it some line-bending prowess. I thought he was struggling with fitness in one game I saw and if that was right he should have improved by now and have a good chance to get back into the Oz Under 20 team.

Talking about fitness: I see that Cam Skelton made the team. Maybe that was because the team otherwise lacks genuine 2nd rowers apart from Philip. The impressive 2013 Oz Schools player Hanigan will likely play lock, which is a shame because his senior future is at 6.

However at this stage of his post-school career the ability to play lock, 6, and 8, as he did at school sometimes, will stand him in good stead when the Oz team is picked.

There are some impressive backs in the team and they could shine if they get their share of ball, which I am not so confident about.

The key will be how the backs combine, which is why I mentioned the Manly Colts centres in an earlier post.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Status
Not open for further replies.