• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2014 IRB Junior World Championship – New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Typo in #7 team A?

I think it may be Jack McCalman, ex of Kings and Aust Schoolboy Captain 2013. IIRC he is a relation of Ben McCalman (Force) (third cousin apparently).

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Sorry about that lily.

Just back from the trial game.

During the first 40 minute half it looked like the best of the NSW Colts were playing the best of the Argentina PRC team.

The Argies had some very mature players including some test players, including scrummie Tomas Cubelli, who started against the Wallabies in Perth last year, centre Matias Orlando who has started against England, and winger Santiago Cordero who started against Wales on their 2013 EOYT.

They outsized the young NSW Colts Under 20s up front and had them on roller skates in the first scrum and a couple afterwards but the young Colts settled down and ended their half just 20-12 down.

Argentina started the rest of their players in the second half including their youngest forwards, though a few doubled up. Their backs put on some stunning moves and tries.

The NSW Colts changed their team completely for the second 40 minute trial (they actually swapped jerseys) and it was clear that the best of the locals had been in the first half because they were whacked 30-0, I think, in the second, or it might have been 37-0.

A couple of the NSW backs played both halves.

If there is an interest I will post the two NSW teams after I walk the dogs, but won't bother to type them out unless there is.

Use the Like button if you want them—I need love and attention anyway.

PS—Tim Rapp was appointed the coach of the NSW Colts team during the week.

Tim is the Newington College Director of Rugby and is one of the Oz Schools coaches and selectors. He played for the Waratahs and Oz Sevens back in the day.

PPS—I will put up a blog about the game and something about the NSW Colts team after the weekend because there will be a lot of blogs going up today and tomorrow.
Interesting perspective.
I was also there.i thought the bench players to a man improved the output dramatically,in the first half.
IMO the finishing of the Argentinians let them down most of it unforced.So relying on the scoreboard as a measure between the first and second sides is somewhat misleading.(ignoring the opposition,as they were just dudes in red jumpers to me)
In both halves,the replacement 9's outplayed the starting 9's IMO.
Which is only worthy of comment,as that is unusual.
There seems to quite a few players that are yet to trial?
Or have some been excused from trialling?
Look forward to your report Lee,I'm sure you will fill in plenty of gaps for me.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I like to watch

I've just had a look at some of my photos and I noticed that most of the Argie test players came back on the field after oranges including Tomas Cubelli, who has played over 20 test matches.

But by the end of the game most of the test forwards had gone off.

Agree—the bench of the first half team was very good and Angus Pulver in particular was influential. That was a good move when the Argies stuffed up delivery of their own scrum ball and Gus picked it up and scored after a bit of a run.

I don't think the starting XV of the 1st half team professes to be the best XV of the training group; nor do I think all of the 2nd half team are behind the players of the 1st half team.

I just reckon that, taking account of some players that did not play today but would be favoured to be in the final squad, more of the players in the final 28 will be from the first half group.

I thought it was difficult for the lads in the second half team to shine because they were playing with lesser players and had to cop that situation.

You probably don't, and that is fine with me.

All the players have trialled in the last three weeks to the best of my knowledge and if they haven't they must have an injury which must put their selection for the NSW team in doubt.

I saw hooker/goal kicker Tom Wilson train with the lads a month ago but where is he now?

Kellaway didn't play today and my mail is that Randwick didn't want him to play with his ankle niggle. Another Randwick Colt Ned Hanigan didn't play either, but was at the game.

David Horwitz and Johnny Vaux will be playing tomorrow for the Tahs reserve side (OK, Gen Blue) so were omitted today.

Coach Rapp told me that they still have some trials to play after a break next weekend, and that the team will gradually be whittled down.

Geez Jack Dempsey is beefing up. His dad told me that he is 101kgs now.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I reckon that's a pretty fair assessment.I agree at the next cut,there will be more casualties from the second group.
There were quite a few that were impressive against country that will be disappointed tonight.
I will be interested in what they will do in the centres.
Hodge,the 10 from the Oz 20's last year is yet to trial,as is Horwitz.
They will be a much stronger side with Horwitz at 12 IMO.
And 13 is a lottery,there a few that have played well in different trials.
I can't see many piggies from last years Schoolboys tour,starting in the final team.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
In the final game of day 1 of the Southern States U20s, South Australia beat QLD Country 33 to 32.

Wow—that is a squeaker.

Is is too early to make any assessment after Day 1 FF (Folau Fainga'a) — or is looking at the scores enough?

Anybody from any team looking like Oz Under 20 material—or too early to tell?

Are you taking any photos?

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Sorry Lee. I am not there- just feeding results from SA rugby Twitter.

I can speculate though....

Here is a picture from their Twitter feed (Vics v ACT):
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-ash3/t1/1619640_717265758294284_1013085171_n.jpg

trevor cork

Stan Wickham (3)
Sorry about that lily.

Just back from the trial game.

PS—Tim Rapp was appointed the coach of the NSW Colts team during the week.

Tim is the Newington College Director of Rugby and is one of the Oz Schools coaches and selectors. He played for the Waratahs and Oz Sevens back in the day.

The "gen blue" summary has quoted their coach, also Tim Rapp, it looks like he has also got that coaching gig as well, he may have left his school job?

trevor cork

Stan Wickham (3)
Does someone want to convince me of the benefit of that sort of trial, a short game (40mins) vs far superior opposition??

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The "gen blue" summary has quoted their coach, also Tim Rapp, it looks like he has also got that coaching gig as well, he may have left his school job?

Yeah—Rappy is coaching both but everything will be over for both the NSW Colts and the Gen Blue team by the end of March, or near enough; so it won't interfere too much with his Newington stuff.

Does someone want to convince me of the benefit of that sort of trial, a short game (40mins) vs far superior opposition??

I don't want to convince you of anything tc, but it's probably the wrong question.

The right question may be:

—Did the guys get anything out of it?
or
—Did the NSW Colts selectors get a good idea of who could stand up to opponents who were hardened players?

—And a follow-up question: are not such players the players you want to represent NSW Colts in the national Under 20s tournament next month, and some to go through to represent our country in NZ later this year with other young hard-heads from elsewhwere?

The 1st half team went down 20-12 to a team that had seven internationals in it. They would have learned a hell of a lot in that 40 minutes. Most of the Aussies were Colts last year and some were at school.

You'd have to ask them if they thought it was worthwhile. Geez playing against Cubelli who started against the Wallabies in Perth last year—what an experience.

You wouldn't want Under 20s to play a whole game against seasoned men though.

The second half team, which will likely end up with not a lot of players in the final NSW Colts' squad, did it tough, though the idea was that they would play against all the non-test players with the Pumas acting as reserves.

However most, if not all, of the Pumas ran back on after oranges, at least for a while. The weird thing was: the scoreline deteriorated after the test players were replaced.

Did the 2nd half team get anything out of it since the score against them was 37-0 (I think).

You'd have to ask them.

One thing I am fairly sure about though: they would have rather have had the opportunity to show what they could do against far stronger opponents, than not.

footy-kid

Allen Oxlade (6)
does anyone have any knowledge on the current southern states/combined states 20's competition, I've seen some scores from 'Forcefield', just wanted to see if their was any stand outs or info on players that might be smokeys for the Australian 20's team

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Game Day 2-
QLD Country 28 - NSW Country 10

Game Day 3-
WA 27 - ACT 17
SA 24 - NSW Country 22
Vics 43 - QLD Country 23

So South Australia and WA the only undefeated teams thus far. You'd guess that, based on the oppositions SA was playing, that WA are the dominant team. Pretty sure that a handful of our U20s and the ACT U20s were in 'A' games last weekend too.

It will be interesting to see the breakdown of the final Southern States team.

footy-kid

Allen Oxlade (6)
Game Day 2-
QLD Country 28 - NSW Country 10

Game Day 3-
WA 27 - ACT 17
SA 24 - NSW Country 22
Vics 43 - QLD Country 23

So South Australia and WA the only undefeated teams thus far. You'd guess that, based on the oppositions SA was playing, that WA are the dominant team. Pretty sure that a handful of our U20s and the ACT U20s were in 'A' games last weekend too.

It will be interesting to see the breakdown of the final Southern States team.

Thanks FF (Folau Fainga'a) for the final scores from today, i agree it definitely looks as though WA is a strong force, considering SA has played IMO lesser opposition, I take it the squad will be announced after the final game on Wednesday, you'd have to think that the squad would be dominated by a majority of ACT and WA, with the likes of Tom Staniforth #4 and Luke Burton #10 respectively, still unsure how the Southern States team will fair against NSW and QLD.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
We should be able to put out a solid team. I am a huge fan of Tom Staniforth. He was very good at last year's U20s.

I'd be interested to see if anyone in the Force 'A' vs the Reds 'A' on Friday played in today's games. The entire backrow for the Force 'A' are U20 eligible.

footy-kid

Allen Oxlade (6)
We should be able to put out a solid team. I am a huge fan of Tom Staniforth. He was very good at last year's U20s.

I'd be interested to see if anyone in the Force 'A' vs the Reds 'A' on Friday played in today's games. The entire backrow for the Force 'A' are U20 eligible.

Thanks FF (Folau Fainga'a), i am interested to see which names make it in the final team to play in Canberra next month against NSW Waratahs U20, QLD Reds U20 and an Invitational Tongan side, doesn't seem to be too much information on any standout players or the games themselves from the Adelaide championship, so i guess we will have to wait and see once the squad is named.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ummm .... credit where it is due. Well done South Australia. Fantastic performance.

Most casual observers would have written you off. You should be very proud of your efforts and results.

I live in hope for the day that Rugby can be listed along with Coonawarra Reds, McLaren Vale Beer, Coopers Home Brew Kits, and anything from the Barossa as things that SA can be proud of.

footy-kid

Allen Oxlade (6)
Ummm .. credit where it is due. Well done South Australia. Fantastic performance.

Most casual observers would have written you off. You should be very proud of your efforts and results.

I live in hope for the day that Rugby can be listed along with Coonawarra Reds, McLaren Vale Beer, Coopers Home Brew Kits, and anything from the Barossa as things that SA can be proud of.

Nothing against SA, they did prove themselves, especially with what I've heard scoring 33 unanswered points in the second half against QLD Country to win, i am merely just saying i do believe WA was the stronger team in the championships.

footy-kid

Allen Oxlade (6)
Southern States Championship -

Game Day 4 -
WA-27 defeating VIC-23 Fulltime

and Halftime ACT-46 beating South Australia-7

footy-kid

Allen Oxlade (6)
Southern States Championship -

Game Day 4 -

Fulltime ACT-96 defeating South Australia-7

that is the final match for the tournament, Western Australia came up trumps being the only undefeated team, whilst from looking at the scores, looks like ACT and Victoria also had strong teams as was expected, the Southern/Combined States team should be announced soon.

full wrap up

http://www.sarugby.com.au/news/sout...expectations-in-southern-states-championship/

Status
Not open for further replies.