• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2014 Women's Rugby World Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
One action point for the IRB, that was highlighted in this game and was evident through the tournament, is that there needs to be a similar improvement in the quality of the officiating before the next WRWC of the magnitude we've seen in the quality of the play.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Thanks Bardon.

Appreciate it Sully and apologies for my earlier post, I get a little too passionate about rugby at times. Really happy to have G&GR around to provide such a fantastic platform to discuss rugby.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The growth of the woman's game in North America could drive overall growth in world rugby, particularly in the rich American market.

Great to see the Canucks in the Final.

Go Canada.

120px-Logo_Canada_Rugby.svg.png

vismyr

Peter Burge (5)
FINAL SCORE: FRANCE 16 CANADA 18

From the restart France tried to pinning Canada on their own line. From a 5 metre scrum Canada decided to spin the ball wide. They put it through the hands and found Harvey who put the after burners on to score a length of the field try in the corner. She then converted to make it 18-6.

Great write up Bardon! Just wanted to say thanks for going to the trouble to do these -- they've been great.

Set the IQ last night and watched all the games back to back this morning (as I've done all tournament). I just wanted to add a little more about the Magali Harvey try as it was really special: the French were hot on attack and had the Canadians pinned down in their own half. But the Canadian scrum was a real weapon in this game, and when they won the tight head, they spun it wide just outside their own goal line -- it was breathtaking stuff. Through the hands it went, until it got to Harvey on the wing. Well, what a player she is...she beat several defenders, one with an in-and-away that would have made any male player envious, and outpaced the closing French player to score an almost length of the field try in the corner. Then she converted her own try! Marvellous stuff.

A few minutes later she was at it again, but this time three French players tried to tackle her out of bounds...and she still managed to get a beautiful offload away, that the supporting Canadian player dropped, with a clear 40min run to the line in front of her. And that almost came back to haunt them, as the French forwards dominated the last 15 mins, scoring two tries to setup a thrilling finish.

The match of the tournament, featuring the try of the tournament, for mine.

This sets up a ripper final, with England licking their lips in anticipation of winning the World Cup without having to play the Black Ferns. But Canada showed, when they visited New Zealand in June that, although they lost the two tests 16-8 and 33-21, had the set piece and firepower to really trouble the World Champs, and are in with a huge chance to upset England (and obviously the draw in pool plays showed there's nothing between the two teams). I'd love to see the Canadians knock England over!

And I would be remiss if I didn't mention the Black Ferns who have really stood up after their loss to the Irish, outclassing both the USA and Wales by a combined score of 97 to 10. They've really shown pride in the jersey and looking forward to the rematch against the US (who outlasted the Wallaroos).

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Completely agree vismyr Harvey's try really was something special. There have been some great tries scored in the tournament but that one trumps them all for me. Not only for Harvey's run (which probably would merit it on it's on) but for the entire team effort to get it out of the scrum and across the field all within feet of their own tryline.

Also the game itself wasn't just special in terms of the Women's game, it was one of the best semi finals I've every seen in Rugby and as a Rugby tragic I've seen a lot of semi finals.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Wow, had retired to bed before that French game, and didn't expect such a result for the home team!

Methinks England will now be favourites given they put out a vastly different team against Ireland than against Canada and would now doubtlessly field that team again for the final.

I'm now suggesting for the sake of women's rugby in the Pacific to have a four team tournament of Aussies, NZ, USA and Canada to be held on a four yearly basis between world cups!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If we are to improve substantially, we need to get regular 15 aside rugby for women at a level above Club, and get into the schools for both Rugby 7's and the full version of the game.

We can't continue to raid other sports for their best athletes and hope to be able to compete with the best internationally.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
If we are to improve substantially, we need to get regular 15 aside rugby for women at a level above Club, and get into the schools for both Rugby 7's and the full version of the game.

We can't continue to raid other sports for their best athletes and hope to be able to compete with the best internationally.

What has me pulling my hair out HJ is that we already had these bloody things! Hunter had a 12+ team 15-a-side comp only a couple of years ago. We had Hunter 15's reps (still do), a 15's development team, then Nationals for 15's every year! Now they do Nationals only during the WRWC year & the focus is well & truly on 7's with everything else. Meanwhile the main comp in my neck of the woods is down to 4 teams. You reap what you sow. As my Rugby mad fitness trainer said to me, "women's Rugby 15's was booming & the powers that be decided to do nothing....& here we are".

Have a look at some of my comments from a couple of years back in the "Womens Rugby Union thread". For simplicity I'll cut & paste the relevant bits in here but they are primarily from a few years back (2012).

1st this, I predicted the downfall in quality of 15's from Australia, year 2012:

"I thought I’d voice my concerns about the ARU’s direction with women’s rugby.

At our AGM this year for our club comp, the word from the ARU was that they are going to focus on 7’s rather than 15’s (National’s I found out about earlier this year). This is not a good move IMO. I don’t think they realise what damage they are actually doing to the quality of the game as a whole by focusing on 7’s at the expense of 15’s.

With all the concentration on 7’s I’m worried how we will compete with the likes of New Zealand & England at the WRWC (we came 3rd last time)."

Then I elaborated on our demise further with this (still 2012):

"I've had a look at their programs Amanda & honesty we are in deep shit for future WRWC's - if this is anything to go by. We've punched well above our weight in real Aussie style but I don't know how much longer we can go this way. Despite a good defensive effort against England in the WRWC we were clearly a step or two below them. I'm afraid the gap might go back out.

I look at the direction we are heading here & I grave fears for our performance at the Women's Rugby World Cup (15's) which IS & always will be the pinnacle of Rugby. I disagree regarding the idea that 7's is the pinnacle in this country most of our top players have come from areas that have a heavy 15's focus."

And just to top off how amazing I am I also predicted the demise of the All Ferns - I AM ON FIRE! Once again this was 2012 when I posted the following:

"Oh & just to add, if NZ women's are going to do no 15's & focus on 7's thenI can safely say (& you've heard it here first) congratulations in advance to England women's team, you win the next WRWC."

Am I the f**king oracle or what? Believe me, I wish I was proven wrong. Credit to England (holding in vomit) they have a brilliant system for women's 15's. Canada, wow, what is going to win out? My ego of wanting England to win to prove I was right? Or my hatred of England wanting me to go for Canada.......go CANADA! :p

I did say later on in the same thread that NZ would cruise through their pool. However, I had forgotten about their "focus on 7's" approach which I previously felt was going to go against them.

I thought we'd beat Wales & SA (even though SA were a bit of an unknown quantity) but I had a bad feeling about our performance in the later stages. Turns out I was bang on. In no way what-so-ever do I blame the Wallaroos players. The girls can only get enough out of themselves what our systems can develop - & to be frank, the system sucks. Solution to the issues of women's 15's rugby, maybe the quote below is a hint.

9e766cf6b5bc2dd92a76d047b83365e6.jpg

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think England will win but it'd be great for the game if Canada got up.

The Canadians are obviously doing something right in women's rugby - both 15's and 7's. This appearance in the world cup final follows their 3rd place in the IRB Women's 7's series.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
HALF TIME: 3rd/4th play-off FRANCE 12 IRELAND 15

Ireland started with great intensity putting plenty of pressure on the French in their own 22. This lead to a penalty which Ireland kicked to the corner. The organised French defence managed to hold out for 5 minutes against the Irish tide before Niamh Briggs went over for the opening score. Briggs then tagged on the extras for a 7-0 lead.

France looked to respond by getting their big runners into the game. It was their turn to peg Ireland back in their 22. This lead to a warning from the referee for repeated infringements.

From one of their penalities France went to the corner looking to use their maul that has been a real weapon in the tournament. This paid off as they forced their way over for the try, Mignot credited with the score. Agricole hit the post with the conversion but it snuck over to tie it up at 7-7 after 14 minutes.

From the restart the pendulum again swung in Ireland's favour. They had a 5 minute period of territorial dominance in the French half without really threatening the tryline. When they were awarded a penalty on 21 minutes Briggs kicked for the posts but it seemed to be a little beyond her range and it dropped short and wide.

France could then clear and they got a bonus when Ireland kicked the ball dead allowing them a scrum back on halfway. However they immediately conceded a penalty to allow Ireland to regain territory and reapply the pressure.

At this stage I got the feeling that Ireland needed to get some reward on the scoreboard for all their hard work. Failing to do so could be telling if the French managed to score again before half time.

On 26 minutes it was France's turn to get a telling off from the ref for repeated infringements. From the resulting penalty Briggs stroked it over and Ireland were back ahead 10-7.

There then followed a break in play as Agricole received treatment on the field. Unfortunately she was stretchered off. A big loss to the French and a sad end to what has been an excellent World Cup for Agricole. Le Duff came on to replace her at outhalf.

The game restarted with a 5m scrum to Ireland but France produced a might shove to push the Irish off the ball. They then spread it to the far side and looked to have blown a try when they decided to come inside instead of go for the corner where Ireland had no cover. Luckily for France they managed to recycle and send Tremouliere over. The conversion was missed but France led for the first time 12-10 with less than 10 to half time.

Ireland then went in search of a score before half time to put them back in front as the now familiar pattern of momentum swinging after each score continued. The score came just on hald time as Davitt chipped over the on rushing French defence and regathered to set up a footrace to the line. She was pulled down just short but managed to strecth out to ground the try. Briggs missed the conversion but Ireland were back in from 15-12 at half time.

It was a very physical half of rugby from both teams with no quarter asked or given in contact.

Ireland's attack was very lateral they went across the backline with the French rushing up in defence. The French had less ball but they were more penetrating when they did attack, especially then they combined big forwards punch holes followed by quick ball out to their elusive runners in the backs.

France had the nudge in the scrum making Ireland's put in scrappy. In the lineout the teams were pretty even although Ireland's ball wasn't quite as clean on their own ball and this affected their momentum at times.

This one is still on a knife edge with both teams having points to prove. Ireland will want the win to erase the disappointment of not really turning up for their semi final. France for their part will want to finish their home tournament on a high. It's too close to call at the moment.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Come on Ireland! Back in front with 20 to go.

And listen to that crowd! Good God that is loud. Really getting into it.

Wish I could stay up for the final but I'll be hitting the limit with the Ire/Fra game. Will have to watch the final on replay online.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
FINAL SCORE: France 25 Ireland 18

France looked to get back on terms immediately in the second half. A decent restart coupled with some great pressure at the breakdown caused Flemming to concede a penalty. Le Duff narrowly missed the kick and it remained 15-12.

France continued to apply pressure stretching the Irish defence. Having sucked the Irish in with a maul they then spread it out wide to create a 2 on 1 that Guiglion finished in the corner. Le Duff couldn't converted the difficult kick from the the touchline. France back in front 17-15 after 47 minutes.

France then looked to break the score and counter score pattern as they re-established territory at the restart. However Ireland were able to weather the storm and clear from a penalty. Still Ireland hadn't really offered much going forward in the first 13 minutes of the second half and they needed to step it up.

Ireland decided to keep the ball tight and drive around the fringes of the ruck. This allowed them to get a foothold in the French half. When they looked to spread it their attack still looked disjointed as they struggled to cope with the French line speed. Going backward at a rate of knots on their own scrums really wasn't helping with the attacking alignment.

Briggs and Miller were still elusive when they ran with the ball when the game became loser and some of their forward made the hard yards driving up through the middle. One such run led to a penalty for not rolling away against the French. Briggs elected to go for the long distance kick for the posts. The ball just about had the legs and once more the game swung Ireland's way 18-17 as we entered the final quarter.

From the restart France again went to their maul making good yards and setting up a good position deep in the Irish 22. Good defence from Ireland allowed them to disrupt and secure a turnover. How much of a relief a scrum put in to them would feel was debatable.

The French forced the penalty at the scrum and immediately pointed to the posts. Up stepped Le Duff and managed his first successful kick since coming on to make it 20-18 with less than 15 minutes to go.

Ireland were hanging in but without a serious threat it looked like France would grind this one out. France however gifted Ireland some momentum conceding a penalty at the restart as they looked to set up a maul. Ireland went to the corner but knocked on at the lineout.

France then won a penalty from the scrum and were able to clear their lines. As the clock ticked down Ireland had the territory but France had the ball and crucially that 2 point lead.

With 10 minutes to go Ireland managed to get their hands on the ball through good work at the breakdown and set after the points that could win it for them. They forced a penalty but the combination of angle and distance was too much for Briggs.

Ireland still had a chance but it would need something special to break down the stubborn French defence. As Ireland looked to force the play they got isolated and allowed the French to clear from a penalty with 5 minutes to go.

Ireland had most of the ball now but the French were able to keep them out of their 22. That was until Ireland decided to go to their own maul which made good progress up the field. Some good pick and go then brought Ireland within touching distance of the French 22 but as they looked to spread it the French forced a mistake for the turn over.

France cleared and with possession in the Irish half they had a chance to run down the final 2 minutes on the clock. They had other ideas though and spread the ball for Guiglion to go over in the corner for her second try to put a bit of a gloss on the score. Le Duff missed the conversion and it finished 25-18.

The French celebrations at the final whistle contrasted with the glum faces and tears of those in green. This wasn't a dead rubber play-off this one mattered to both teams.

As the game wore on France's dominance in the scrum grew and Ireland struggled to secure their own put in. What ball they did get back was scrappy and under great pressure.

France then finish on a high clinching 3rd place after a fine tournament, the highlight of which was the amazing semi final against Canada. They were the standout team coming into the tournament and only a superb performance from Canada denied them a final spot.

They'll take great heart from their performances and they'll be buoyed by the massive impact this tournament has had in France. The game hasn't just gone to a new level it's made a giant leap forward in terms of quality and profile and the French can be rightly proud of tournament they've hosted.

Ireland leave disappointed but when they have time to reflect on their campaign they'll be rightly proud of their exploits. They've shaken up the world order and they'll continue to improve in the years to come.

More importantly they've shown the way for the other minnows and sent the signal to the Southern Hemisphere nations that it won't be enough to just turn up and expect to win in the future. The rest of the world are not just catching up if Aus and NZ stand still they're in danger of being left behind in 4 years time.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
HALF TIME: FINAL ENGLAND 11 CANADA 3

This one is England's 4th final on the bounce. They lost the last 3 to the Black Ferns and the fact that they're not the opposition this time the English must fancy their chances.

Since losing the final by 3 points last time out their focus of the last 4 years has been on this tournament and this match. England will feel it's their finally their turn to lift their second title.

In contrast Canada are in their first final and have nothing to lose. Their 13-13 pool draw against England will give them confidence that they can compete against the favourites.

It's a contest of England's huge experience against Canada's enthusiasm. The smart money would be on the English experience but the same would have been said for France in the semi final and we know what happened there.

If Canada are to have a chance they'll need Harvey to produce another stellar performance. The longer Canada can stay in touch the more the pressure will build on the English. It's crucial for Canada to stick in there until 60 minutes and from then all bets will be off.

Canada started brightly with Harvey making inroads down the wing. Scarratt was pinged for not releasing in the tackle and Canada went up the line. The lineout wasn't very fluid and England forced them back.

Canada had the wood on the English scrum in the pool game and the Roses will be very pleased to have won a penalty from the first scrum and let the Canuck's know it won't be as one sided this time.

England created their first real moment of danger when scrum half Hunt spotted a gap and went for it. With no support she had to offload into space. Luckily her team regathered the bobbling ball but the chance was gone. They'll be glad that they managed to force a penalty on the next phase. Scarratt obliged from the tee for the first points of the game 3-0 with 10 minutes gone.

On 14 minutes England's Merchant almost threw an intercept try but Canada's Zussman couldn't quite control the ball as she went for the fingertip catch.

England then looked to exploit space on the wing as Merchant and combined to get in behind the Canuck's defence but openside Paquin showed great pace to make a try saving tackle.

A couple of minutes later England went for the line as Hunt took a quick tap once again Paquin made a crucial intervention managing to get her foot under the ball as England looked to ground. Canada then won a penalty to relieve the pressure.

1st quarter over and still 3-0. The low score certainly wasn't due to a lack of ambition from either side. Conversely both sides looked to spread the ball and attack space but excellent defence was keeping the score down.

A good burst from Packer took England deep into the Canuck's 22. As Canada flooded the breakdown they were guilty of being a little too eager and conceded a penalty. Scarratt kicked from in front to make it 6-0.

Canada were still in touch but had nothing to show for their efforts. They were in danger of going the way of Ireland in the semi final. This England team have a knack of keeping the scoreboard ticking over when there isn't much between the teams.

As Canada looked to attack off the back of the scrum Alphonsi showed great speed to put massive pressure on and cause a turn over. Canada were once again pushed back into their own half.

England then put the ball through the hands to put Waterman over in the corner for the first try of the game. It was an excellent team try with forwards and backs showing good hands throughout the move. Scarratt snatched at the conversion but England now has daylight at 11-0 with 5 minutes to the break.

With a minute to the break a burst from Marchak got the crowd going as Canada got to with 10 metres of the line. England were able to repel them but not without conceding a penalty. Harvey slotted the penalty to get the Canuck's on the board on the stroke of half time. England lead 11-3 at the break.

In the set piece the lineout was very competitive with both teams getting up to challenge on the opposition ball. In the scrum the English had a slight nudge for the first 30 minutes probably inspired by embarrassment at how they were dominated in the pool game.

There hasn't been much between the performance of the two teams but England have scored most of the points at half time. Canada will be happy with their efforts but they need to make an impact on the scoreboard early in the second half.

If the English can add to their lead the Canadians will have to chase the game and that will create opportunities for the very dangerous English backs to close the game out.

Canada's late penalty gives them a lifeline but it's England in control at half time.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This is some bloody good footy being played in the final. The standard of play and individual skill level is very impressive.

Decent sort of crowd there too, given that the Host Nation is not involved in the Final.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
This is some bloody good footy being played in the final. The standard of play and individual skill level is very impressive.

Decent sort of crowd there too, given that the Host Nation is not involved in the Final.

Most of the crowd seem to have stuck around after the 3rd-4th place play off that France won just before kick-off of the Final and why not with the quality on display.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
FINAL SCORE: ENGLAND 21 CANADA 9

ENGLAND CROWNED WOMEN'S WORLD CHAMPIONS

Canada started the second 40 well gaining territory and then forcing a penalty at the scrum as the English backrow broke early. Harvey's kick just had the legs to get over but it was pinpoint accurate and they all count, especially in a final. 11-6 England and Canada working their way back into contention.

Canada were really growing into the game in the first 10 minutes of the second half. They got their pack carrying well in the lose and even managed to get their scrum going reversing the trend of the first half.

Alphonsi, probably playing her last game for England, made a real nuisance of herself at the breakdown as she looked to cap an outstanding career with a world title.

15 minutes into the second half and Canada really had the bit between their teeth. They forced another penalty and asked Harvey to go for the posts from the very limit of her range. Again Harvey summoned up a mighty kick that just cleared the bar. Her last two kicks making it by a total of maybe 3 metres. 11-9 now and it's game on.

Canada had to work very hard to get back to within 2 points which made the fact that the conceded a penalty from the restart even more disappointing. Scarratt stroked it over and England were back out to 5 points at 14-9 at the end of the third quarter.

The second half was tighter than the first as both teams looked to their packs for go forward but it wasn't any less exciting than the first.

England's tactic of avoiding Harvey and kicking to the inexperienced Zussman paid off when the stand in fullback knocked on allowing England to move up the field and build some pressure of their own. 10 minutes left and England were in the Canadian half and looking to settle the tie.

Once more Alphonsi won another penalty at the breakdown after an excellent hit from Mathews. Scarratt kicked up the line and England looked to drive the line out. England then moved the ball into midfield where Scarratt cut back on a great line slicing the Canadian defence apart to score a try. Scarratt added the extras to make it 21-9 with 5 minutes to go.

As the clock ran down Canada were forcing penalties which they ran at the heart of the English defence. The red wave descended on the English line but it was too little too late as Scarratt turned the ball over for the Roses with 30 seconds left.

As the final whistle sounded England rushed the field and the pain of so many near misses was wiped away as the finally won their second Women's Rugby World Cup.

England deserved world champions after so many final disappointments. They got themselves ahead and never let go. Canada came back within touching distance but England didn't panic. They steadied the ship and waiting for their chance. When it came they took it with both hands.

Canada put in a real shift in the final and should be proud of their display. They didn't lose this one due to a lack of effort or ambition. In the end it was England's greater experience and ability to score their points and eke out their lead.

The future of Canadian rugby looks really bright. This might have been their first final but if they continue to develop their second final and possibly a first world title won't be too long in coming.

Also a word for Aussie ref Amy Perrett who had an excellent game and justified her selection for the final.

This was an excellent final and a great way to end such a fantastic tournament. A tournament that signals the arrival of Women's rugby as a true world sport. This time they refused to be ignored they produced great quality, passion and atmosphere and they made the sporting world and media sit up and take notice.

The Women's game will be on a whole other level in the future and the smart unions won't ignore what is the fastest growing team sport in the world bar none. When many tier 1 unions are struggling to grow participation numbers in the men's game it would seem a no brainer to put some focus on the women's game.

Marali Harvey was rightly crowned the player of the tournament and has been catapulted to stardom at home and around the world.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Will be watching the replay now. Disappointed for Canada but like I said I thought England would win this. Crowd looked awesome for the Ire/Fra game. And how good is it to see real scrums, line-outs, & clean-outs?Actually really impressed with the physicality.

A little on the next WRWC - it will be in 2017. Limerick is a fav to host it apparently & the teams will not expand beyond 12. There has also been talk that we should have some higher qualified referees (male ones) to do the finals games.

First off, I originally felt the WRWC should go to other areas. I even suggested Samoa, this was not too long after they had the Tsunami & I thought it would be brilliant for the country. I also thought spreading the WRWC to many areas as possible was the best thing. Now, after seeing successive WRWC's in Europe I say keep it there. IRB needs to ride the momentum the women's game is getting up North. Moving this elsewhere might destroy that momentum.

I'd love to see a WRWC in Australia but as I've repeatedly said like a broken record we have a shit treatment of women's 15's in Aus. For mine, if a country treats the 15's version of the game like crap then they do not deserve to host it. A country should either have a great 15's system or/& a team that performed well in the previous WRWC. With those two things in mind I say Ireland is a bloody good choice & that NZ & Aus won't be hosting any time soon.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier about the whole 7s v 15s in Aus thing is that the poor players themselves don't really have any recourse to stand up for themselves either. I recall a few years ago & team mate of mine who is in the current Wallaroos squad now say something along the lines that they had to sign some media contract or were told in some kind of preparation program for dealing with the media that they could not say anything bad about 7's. So if any of the girls come out & blast the system I'd be very surprised - unless the media rules they are under have changed.

On expansion or lack thereof I can see where the IRB are coming from but personally I'd like to see it expanded by 2 teams. Looking at the table of points below from scrumqueens it looks to me that Japan is deserving of being added as they seem to outscore Kazakhstan & Samoa. It would be good to have another Asian team alongside Kazakhstan in the WRWC. Germany would also be a personal fav of mine to get in but it appears they need to get a bit more competitive (I just really want to see Ger v Eng, what a rivalry, we don't have it in mens rugby but we could get it in the womens).
http://www.scrumqueens.com/news/womens-international-rugby-rankings

As far as ref's go I'm 29min in to this finals game & the ref is doing a terrific job but I would not rule out having some high profile male referees adjudicate WRWC finals, why not have a mix? I don't see how a male ref here or there is going to completely destroy the pathway of female referees.

Status
Not open for further replies.