• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015/16 Rugby 7's Round 4 - Sydney 6/7 February

Status
Not open for further replies.

LMU

Allen Oxlade (6)
Someone needs to explain 7's to Andy.
You can't 'win' the plate or the bowl at the Olympics.

If we had a winning team,then 'outsiders' have to earn their spot over the incumbents.
Unfortunately,our squad has demonstrated that whilst willing,they are a grade below what is required.
What's the downside of playing Quade this week,and see him get embarrassed?

Does Rod Marsh have a say in 7's selections now?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'd try and sneak QC (Quade Cooper) into one of the Sydney Club 7's teams to see how he goes at the short version of the game if he is not wanted by our Friend.

He should be able to do that as well as "being part of the squad" for the weekend.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
DISCLAIMER: for those that don't know, I'm not exactly a Quade fan. I'm not hating on the bloke, either, before any of you start casting maroon-coloured spears at me.

So, with that out of the way: why is it news that a FIFO player, who decided to head overseas with no Giteau clause status to back him up, fails to make the cut?

The arguments about "but our 7s team needs X-Factor!" are about as relevant as they were for the Wallabies. The established players just need to get better.

Parachuting in talent, who aren't part of the setup, and expecting them to just pick it up and run - and this isn't just Quade, its everyone - isn't necessarily going to work.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We've had the same core group of players for the last 3 years and they've achieved nothing. Our best footy was during the WC and CW games when we brought in the 15s. The 15s are still better rugby players, that's why they're playing 15s and not 7s in the first place..

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
DISCLAIMER: for those that don't know, I'm not exactly a Quade fan. I'm not hating on the bloke, either, before any of you start casting maroon-coloured spears at me.

So, with that out of the way: why is it news that a FIFO player, who decided to head overseas with no Giteau clause status to back him up, fails to make the cut?

The arguments about "but our 7s team needs X-Factor!" are about as relevant as they were for the Wallabies. The established players just need to get better.

Parachuting in talent, who aren't part of the setup, and expecting them to just pick it up and run - and this isn't just Quade, its everyone - isn't necessarily going to work.

Just to add to that I'm not particularly enthused about having Speight in the 7's squad either.............

He would've torn it up pre-2014 hamstring injuries, but I think he's now lost a bit of pace and the extra workload isn't going to benefit his 15's form.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
SBW was a bit of a dud in his first tournament, but look what a difference Akira Ioane made to NZ (he does have previous 7s experience). On top of that they had Ardie Savea who was pretty useful.

South Africa have added Juan de Jongh who has been a solid first team player. Cheslin Kolbe is the backup playmaker and Francois Hougaard has also added to their already strong team.

We were already substantially behind SA, NZ and Fiji and that gap is only going to widen this year.

Phil

Chris McKivat (8)
Strikes me as bloody stupid to bring him back here and not selecting him.I am not a QC (Quade Cooper) fan either,but at least give the bloke a chance to show if he has the skills for 7's.As many above have said,what the hell have we got to lose when our current team is 2nd rate.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

do you think QC (Quade Cooper) just decided to fly back of his own accord and then popped into training? I suspect the ARU were fairly deep in discussions about his travel plans etc. If he wasn't going to play I'm sure he'd have preferred staying put in France.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I reckon Bill Pulver's face would be on the redder end of its spectrum. He can't be happy.

As Reg said, the ARU have gone to great lengths to try and make Cooper available and now he hasn't been picked.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Our strategy for these two rounds has been really strange.

Before Super Rugby trials have even started, this could have been a valuable time to bring in top tier players and give them a trial.

Instead we rested our guns for Wellington and brought in some real left-field players out of Sydney Grade. And they did OK, but SA and NZ were blooding SBW, Savea, Kolbe, de Jonge, Hougaard.

And now we have decided to play our regulars, with Speight the only slightly left field option.

With the Sevens series as a whole largely irrelevant this year (especially now since we've bombed out of the first few tournaments), we will have really not learned a thing out of these two weekends. Except that fringe Sydney Grade players might not be up to it.

The writing is firmly on the wall for Rio. We might do well in Sydney which is great, but we're on a collision course with a QF defeat, and these decisions are doing nothing to change that course.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I suspect the ARU were fairly deep in discussions about his travel plans etc.

And I agree with that. But here are some points:

1) T14 is not even Super Rugby standard for fitness or skill. Therefore its a level below international 7s, where everything is amplified.

2) Quade has been copping a bit of shit from even his own club boss, hardly setting the world on fire, though that is a bit unfair when everyone only wants to remember 2011 Quade and he's had serious injuries

3) He arrived with less than a week to spare, and as barb says above - wasn't even blooded in the Wellington tournament. No idea how that helps him, or anyone else, prepare.

4) If the ARU are pissed off at anyone, like the coach for not picking him, they should first go into the Hall of Mirrors and have a good, hard look. As I said above: Quade doesn't even have a Giteau clause to back him up, and everyone knows what a bunch of wankers the French club owners are, particularly Boudjelllal.

Releasing him for two weeks prior to Wellington was probably a pipe dream, but IMHO the minimum amount of time to help the whole squad perform better around Quade.

None of the promotion for the event was done around Quade, so its not like there is now some gaping hole left in his absence. Just some pissed-off fans who are under the belief he could make a difference. Maybe he could, maybe not. We are unlikely to find out if this situation persists.

Actions have consequences, ultimately. I'm not saying Quade is undeserving, but I can see why the coach might not pick him. But as Hugh says above: why the fuck then would you make an even bigger hash of Wellington by selecting people out of left field?

And, while there are a LOT of people lining up to criticise our 7s players, they're busting their arses to get to Rio, and parachuting anyone (Quade, Speight, Foley, Folau) in to try and help is basically telling them they might as well fuck off.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The current squad members busting their arses are on a fucking good wicket.
Their results do not entitle them to jack shit.
Why are they the only professional athletes flying the world in business class that are not accountable for their performance?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
The current squad members busting their arses are on a fucking good wicket.
Their results do not entitle them to jack shit.
Why are they the only professional athletes flying the world in business class that are not accountable for their performance?
Half the NBA is tanking right now. At least we're not going through that!

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Are there players currently in Australia and either not signed to Super Sides, or able to negotiate some sort of release to replace those in the current 7s squad?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
And I agree with that. But here are some points:
I liked your Matt O'Brien point better.

Quade might be useful for the sevens side, or might not. That's Friend's call.

But they should've told the player not to bother while he was still in France. Flying him in just to give him the snub - it's likely he won't line up to do so again.

A "Giteau clause" wouldn't solve it either. It's just been a stuff up.

And as far as telling the sevens players they "might as well fuck off", well why not? Getting rid of a few might improve the side's performance.

Tell them to fuck off while they're still in Australia, though. Don't wait till they've been flown to Vegas.

Phil

Chris McKivat (8)
I liked your Matt O'Brien point better.

Quade might be useful for the sevens side, or might not. That's Freind's call.

But they should've told the player not to bother while he was still in France. Flying him in just to give him the snub - it's likely he won't line up to do so again.

A "Giteau clause" wouldn't solve it either. It's just been a stuff up.

And as far as telling the sevens players they "might as well fuck off", well why not? Getting rid of a few might improve the side's performance.

Tell them to fuck off while they're still in Australia, though. Don't wait till they've been flown to Vegas.
Well said,Kiap.This Rio gig is going to cost a shitload of money so I think we would want to at least have some chance of winning something.QC (Quade Cooper) is most likely not the answer to success but at least give him a try,especially after flying him out to Oz(I am sure Quade did not pick up the fare!).The team is not going to compete with the likes of NZ,SA etc the way they are playing now and I am in no way being super critical of the guys that are out there trying.They are doing their best,but it is not good enough.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Of course it's not necessarily going to work. But it is one way of perhaps finding out. Having him sit on the sidelines won't clarify anything.

3) He arrived with less than a week to spare, and as barb says above - wasn't even blooded in the Wellington tournament. No idea how that helps him, or anyone else, prepare.

Was never going to be blooded at Wellington as his contract only releases him for Sydney, Paris and London. If it is so critical that he be released at least a week or two before hand, then he will be in much the same boat come Paris. He just won't be available a week prior to Paris if Toulon has any games in that period. By your apparent measure, then, he won't be ready to play in Paris but may get a start in London. One game in that situation won't allow any assessment to be made of his readiness for Rio.

Personally, I have strong doubts about the suitability of Andy Friend as coach of any high level side let alone the national 7s team. His inability to see the upside of Quade playing in Sydney just reinforces my misgivings.

fo!!ower

Chris McKivat (8)
None of the promotion for the event was done around Quade, so its not like there is now some gaping hole left in his absence...

That's not quite, strictly speaking, true, there was this poster image released shortly after his signing was announced, and the Sydney 7's sold out shortly thereafter. Coincidence?

20b4e09655b7dee56672d811e20425fe.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.