• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015/16 Rugby 7's Round 4 - Sydney 6/7 February

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
He's fast enough and powerful enough to make gaps / half-breaks, but not "top-end" fast. But he's so bloody talented I'm sure he'd be good. Damn good within 15-20m of the opposition tryline. Jeloudev had some nice wheels today.
He beats the first tackle every time in rugby, he'd be phenomenal in Sevens. Just have anyone with half a brain running off his shoulder and it'd be tries for days. Jeloudev has wheels but he was completely cooked after that long try. Is he coming back from injury? Conditioning could improve.

JOC (James O'Connor) would have been a brilliant Sevens player. What could have been...

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I had another great day today, was certainly a bit less crazy than Saturday, but that is exactly how you want it. The atmosphere for the final was electric, so much more vocal than any Bled I've ever been too.

Still so weird to see crowds singing and dancing during breaks, and cheering during play! Going to be so weird at the first Tahs game when we return to cavernous silence.......

We needed that win. The coaching staff went all in on this tournament, resting our guns last week and leaving out Quade. The strategy was obviously to bank on a lift at home, take the Cup and give us some much needed self-belief before Rio. And it was a case of 'so close yet so far'. Great to get in that position, gutting we couldn't finish it off.

Anyway, I'm going to bed. I'm broken, emotionally and physically. Unlike a regular loss to the All Blacks, I feel like I invested two whole days in the result, so the pain was so much greater.

But can't wait to do it all again next year.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Oh, well then Folau is the obvious choice. He'd be devastating. Pace is something that's been lacking across Australian rugby for years now, it's an issue that needs to be addressed.

If you're talking about Tokyo in 2020 then, yeah, maybe, but if you're talking about Rio in six months time then forget about it. No-one who isn't currently a full-time part of an HSBC squad is going to Rio. Shit, I'm not even sure the Ioane bros, Jack Lam & Ardie Savea will be able to transition back from Super Rugby to 7's so there's zero chance of anyone with no 7's background (Quade included, not that it's entirely his fault) being able to. Give or take an injury or two, the 12 who got you to the Final in Sydney are the 12 you'll be taking to Rio.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Anyway, I'm going to bed. I'm broken, emotionally and physically. Unlike a regular loss to the All Blacks, I feel like I invested two whole days in the result, so the pain was so much greater.

You've got tomorrow to do the Tuesday Top 5.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
If you're talking about Tokyo in 2020 then, yeah, maybe, but if you're talking about Rio in six months time then forget about it. No-one who isn't currently a full-time part of an HSBC squad is going to Rio. Shit, I'm not even sure the Ioane bros, Jack Lam & Ardie Savea will be able to transition back from Super Rugby to 7's so there's zero chance of anyone with no 7's background (Quade included, not that it's entirely his fault) being able to. Give or take an injury or two, the 12 who got you to the Final in Sydney are the 12 you'll be taking to Rio.

It's more of a hypothetical discussion, rather than wanting to parachute players in for Rio. Who might have the attributes.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^ OK then, hypothetical away to your hearts content while those with the foresight to ID & bring onboard XV's players with actual 7's potential collect the medals :)

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
Snip.

It will be good to see Hutchison, who doesn't turn 19 until next week, playing Sevens in Sydney. I don't know if he will make the team for Rio later in the year, because the team has to have a fine balance of attributes; but he should give it a shake.

I'd like to see him play XVs later though. Everybody says he is too small but he's bigger than Giteau is now, let alone when Gits played first in the Super 12. And he is a better front-on tackler than Gits on his best day.

Snip.

Having enjoyed watching Hutchison's rugby exploits since he was 14 it was thrilling to seeing him mixing it so strongly at this level. No mean feat for an almost 19 y.o. Yet it's no surprise because his maturity both on and off the field belies his years.

His turn over secured late against the English in the quarters was every bit as valuable as the plaudits that his attack has justifiably attracted.

I'd like to see him stay in our 7s squad for some time to come because he can be one of the players that we can continue to build a strong squad around. Given his age he will have plenty of time to return to XVs. Whichever format he selects he will continue to excel and won't be lost to our code.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
You've got tomorrow to do the Tuesday Top 5.

Ooh god I think it's still a few weeks before I'm due back at training.

Think Gagger gave the RWC bloggers a bit more time off. I'm still recuperating, and my therapist hasn't given me permission to watch the replay of the Final yet.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
^^^^^^^ OK then, hypothetical away to your hearts content while those with the foresight to ID & bring onboard XV's players with actual 7's potential collect the medals :)
Weird point, if it even is one. So we ought not discuss potential talent from XVs in any hypothetical fashion, but we should dip our lids the the identified talent from XVs that has gone before.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I feel we need a Akira Ioane. A backrower in 15s that is fast enough to play a wide wing role in 7s. Jed Holloway comes to mind. He's got toe, scored a ton of runaway tries in the NRC.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The point is that there are players in the Strayan XV's program who could've made a real contribution to your 7's program had they been brought onboard earlier, Bernard Foley for example (& yes, I know he pretty much put himself beyond inclusion with some fairly OTT contract demands, but that's kinda part & parcel of the problem IMO).

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I've watched quite a bit of 7s over the pat 2-3 years and the more I watch, the more I have come to believe that it's almost impossible to bring guys in who haven't been regularly playing 7s.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Weird point, if it even is one. So we ought not discuss potential talent from XVs in any hypothetical fashion, but we should dip our lids the the identified talent from XVs that has gone before.
Why discuss fun hypotheticals when you can talk about how awesome the Kiwis actually are? Pay attention to them!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
No doubt that the Kiwis are not only awesome players, but are bloody well coached. At the ground (and I assume on TV) it was very noticeable how the ABs changed their style against Fiji. They employed a league style defence with two in the tackle and pretty much stopped the Fijians offloading in the tackle completely. Plus a bit of niggle, presumably to upset the Fijian style.

Piglet

Herbert Moran (7)
I had another great day today, was certainly a bit less crazy than Saturday, but that is exactly how you want it. The atmosphere for the final was electric, so much more vocal than any Bled I've ever been too.

Still so weird to see crowds singing and dancing during breaks, and cheering during play! Going to be so weird at the first Tahs game when we return to cavernous silence...

We needed that win. The coaching staff went all in on this tournament, resting our guns last week and leaving out Quade. The strategy was obviously to bank on a lift at home, take the Cup and give us some much needed self-belief before Rio. And it was a case of 'so close yet so far'. Great to get in that position, gutting we couldn't finish it off.

How good were the Fiji and Kenyan supporters?! I thought it was the Suva Sevens at one stage, such was the intensity of the Fiji supporters' cheering.

Some scintillating sevens over two days and a wonderful atmosphere. I can't wait for next year!

Piglet

Herbert Moran (7)
He's fast enough and powerful enough to make gaps / half-breaks, but not "top-end" fast. But he's so bloody talented I'm sure he'd be good. Damn good within 15-20m of the opposition tryline. Jeloudev had some nice wheels today.

Folau is so talented that there's little doubt that he would do well.

However, would he do better than the current performers, given a limited preparation and assimilation time?

One of the key differences in sevens is the work rate at the tackle ball so as to reduce the number of players who are rendered ineffective for the next phase of attack. Most non-sevens players simply get to their feet slowly and stroll off to their position on the field for the next phase, most sevens players are back on their feet to recover/pass/receive the next ball.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Henry Speight, all you had to do was not get held up in the tackle and Australia would won the final.

@TOCC, I would be only too happy if Henry came back to the Brumbies full time, but it's not going to happen. He is improving at 7s with each outing and will be much more proficient by the time Rio comes around.

As far as losing the final is concerned, you are off the mark by placing the blame on Henry. The T'bolts regained possession after that turnover, only for Kingston to be penalised 2 seconds from the end for not releasing. That was the critical mistake and I might say was typical of Tom's involvements throughout the whole tournament. As soon as he started his run I predicted to the family that he would lose it and NZ would have a last chance to score. Exactly how it turned out. Tom is one player who has not shown any talent for 7s at all and should be allowed to return to the Tahs, if he still has his contract there.

Status
Not open for further replies.