• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 IRB Junior Rugby World Cup - Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie Brown

Chris McKivat (8)
Three of the Victorian U20s were in the Southern States team last year (Sa'aga, Hosea and Toeta). Only one from the ACT (Conal McInerney). The WA squad hasn't been named yet but I'd anticipate 3 returnees from WA.

You've not included Keith Morgan in the centres from the ACT squad who also made the SS side. Was Aus A squad at school boys, he's coming up to his second season in First Grade, very good quality footballer. I think he has the goods to make the OZ U20's.

Bill McLean (32)
Well I was out at the U/20's 'City v. Country' game (for want of a better term) and now wish I hadn't made the effort to go to be quite honest!

Admittedly (and as I stated here yesterday) the heat was anything but conducive to playing rugby and it took its toll on the players. I don’t know if it's me personally, insofar as having greater expectations, but I was far from impressed with the standard shown today; especially from the City lads. It was a substandard display pervaded with way too many turnovers and dropped ball.

On today’s efforts I would have to take my hat off the Country lads. I was talking to one of the player’s parents and was told that the team had only assembled on the Friday night. Yesterday they trained for six hours, and that was their preparation! I am sure the City lads have been meeting several days a weeks for the last couple months; am I wrong?

In all fairness I would state that most of the top players for City were not participating. I saw Fainga’a and Orr carrying the water with several others who I couldn’t see, and this was later confirmed by a very proud City grand-parent.

I saw @Lee Grant out there so I dare say a match report will be on its way shortly. Unlike @Lee Grant I only stayed for three quarters of the game; I couldn’t subject myself to any more pain! I would however note the following. I was absolutely impressed with the Country #10 and #3 (Blake form the Hunter I believe). But for one indiscretion (which resulted in an intercept try) the #10 was clearly a standout. So too was the #3, especially the bip-boppers run-a-way try – bloody awesome! Even Matt Dunning would have been proud of this effort!

For the city lads I would have to dip my hat to the #7 (Dunbar I believe) who worked hard all game. I particularly liked his huge hit off the ruck mid-way through the first-half; a real bone rattler. The Fijian winger also played well with what ball he got and showed a good clean pair of heels down the sideline when he did. It was just a pity that the City lads couldn’t finish off some these opportunities. Too much dropped ball!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
On Delore not being with the NSW Under 20s now:

Was there a reason given LG?

I really liked this lad! I first seen him in 2011 when he gained selection for the U/16 NSWSRU team. Good player.

Well, we found out the reason yesterday when Delore played for NSW Country U20s.

He played for Northern Suburbs last year so I assumed he lived here now, but apparently the commute to Sydney for U20 training was too much.

Or so the talk on the sideline went.

He was training for the NSW Gen Blue Colts earlier in the pre-season.

Bill McLean (32)
@Lee Grant. I did not recognise him! To be honest a lot of them have change in terms of their physical appearance (as you would expect), so I am not surprised.

What number was he playing?

Bill McLean (32)
@Lee Grant/@Hugh Jarse: Gentlemen do you think it would be a good idea to take some of the content of this thread (or copy the same) and create a thread titled "2015 U/20 National Championship".

Bill McLean (32)
@Lee Grant / @Hugh Jarse: Gentlemen do you think it would be a good idea to take some of the content of this thread (or copy the same) and create a thread titled "2015 U/20 National Championship".

Wales Fan

Alfred Walker (16)
A 6Nations update for anyone interested Wales beat England at U20's level for the 1st time in their history over the weekend 21-15. Goes a little way to make up for getting absolutely stuffed in England last season.

Monty Python

Ted Fahey (11)
I have deleted my post above giving the U20 trial game details because they have to be wrong …….

…… and Monty Python was right about the date of the National Under 20 Championships.

I have heard that the next trial match is on this weekend:
Saturday Feb 14
NSW U20s v ACT U20s
1.30pm kick-off at T.G.Milner field at Eastwood
Curtain raiser to Eastwood 1st Grade trial v Qld Uni (I think)

Can anyone else clarify this as 100% correct?

Monty Python

Ted Fahey (11)
Well I was out at the U/20's 'City v. Country' game (for want of a better term) and now wish I hadn't made the effort to go to be quite honest!

Admittedly (and as I stated here yesterday) the heat was anything but conducive to playing rugby and it took its toll on the players. I don’t know if it's me personally, insofar as having greater expectations, but I was far from impressed with the standard shown today; especially from the City lads. It was a substandard display pervaded with way too many turnovers and dropped ball.

In all fairness I would state that most of the top players for City were not participating. I saw Fainga’a and Orr carrying the water with several others who I couldn’t see, and this was later confirmed by a very proud City grand-parent.

[snip] It was just a pity that the City lads couldn’t finish off some these opportunities. Too much dropped ball!

Interestingly, I arrived near the end of the second 20 minute stanza (I think there were 4 x 20?) and saw it differently. The NSW boys clearly won that second 2 x 20 and there wasn't so much drop ball. Perhaps the country boys were getting more tired, as I think they had fewer players all up) and the fresh legs (and hands) made a difference for NSW.

Charlies son Bob

Stan Wickham (3)
Saturday Feb 14
NSW U20s v ACT U20s
1.30pm kick-off at T.G.Milner field at Eastwood
Curtain raiser to Eastwood 1st Grade trial v Qld Uni (I think)

Yep - a big day of Rugby

Followed by Waratah Gen Blue and Brumbies"A" at 1515 hours

and the winners of the 2014 Shute Shield vs winners of the Queensland 2014 Comp (I understand) @ 1700 hours

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
A 6Nations update for anyone interested Wales beat England at U20's level for the 1st time in their history over the weekend 21-15. Goes a little way to make up for getting absolutely stuffed in England last season.

And your Women's team beat England 13-0.

Bill McLean (32)
The weather report for this Saturday is predicting another scorcher at 28 degrees and humidity at 65%. Not good conditions for rugby at all! They are predicting that it is going to be partly cloudy which may take the edge of the sun's heat, but the humidity is still a little high!

However there is one 'HUGE' positive take from all this; TG Milner has a licenced club and yours truly will be inside enjoying a few 'Toohey's Old' while the poor piggies run themselves into exhaustion! Some things in life just don't seem fair!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
On The Loop matter - I was told that the game was going to be on there a month ago. It was only a few hundred metres away but apologies for the confusion I caused.

@Lee Grant/@Hugh Jarse: Gentlemen do you think it would be a good idea to take some of the content of this thread (or copy the same) and create a thread titled "2015 U/20 National Championship".

Hugh is a gentleman, agreed, but no - it would be one of those situations where one wouldn't know which thread to use.

I saw @Lee Grant out there so I dare say a match report will be on its way shortly.

For the city lads I would have to dip my hat to the #7 (Dunbar I believe) who worked hard all game. I particularly liked his huge hit off the ruck mid-way through the first-half; a real bone rattler. The Fijian winger also played well with what ball he got and showed a good clean pair of heels down the sideline when he did. It was just a pity that the City lads couldn’t finish off some these opportunities. Too much dropped ball!

Yesterday I wrote a belated blog on the game here:

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/nsw-country-20s-impress-trial/

It is mostly from the Country viewpoint because the Gen Blue Colts have got of bit of ink lately.

It would have been earlier but I had to watch the 6N games to put together a blog involving three writers and edit their stuff plus do a piece on the three games.

The Country boys gave the city slickers (including some country ringers) a scare in the first half but why is explained in the blog (which confirms your comments)

Rapp didn't have to look at Fainga'a or Orr because they are nailed-down certainties for the cut and ditto for McCalman, who had a run in the second half, and Hanigan, both whom played for the Gen Blue senior team in Campbelltown on Friday night.

Handling was a big problem for the Gen Blue Colts in the first half and the boys had no excuse because they had enough training runs.

Often it was because they didn't play with enough depth to run onto the ball and that meant the ball was at the receiver's shoulder instead of in front of them; other times the passers were trying too hard and dishing out a step too late, which had the same effect; other times it was a slippery ball and sometimes the effect of youngsters not being able to pass as well one way as the other.

Whatever, the Country boys who came together as a group for the first time on Friday night and had their first training run on Saturday were better at it in the first half.

They won't be much better off before their Adelaide meet because they'll get together in Sydney on a Friday (without any further training together before then), have a training session in the morning and play in Adelaide on the Saturday - but they are country lads and as their their coach told me: they don't complain, they just get on with it.

I'd warrant the Queensland country lads will be in a similar position; but country people always do the best they can with what they've got.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
@Lee Grant. I did not recognise him! To be honest a lot of them have change in terms of their physical appearance (as you would expect), so I am not surprised.

What number was he playing?

He was a reserve - number 24. I think he played fullback when he came on.

I'm guessing that he didn't start because of some leg problem: when he got that long run for a try he seemed to be struggling for his top pace.

redhead

Herbert Moran (7)
QLD under 20 played Reds A before the main event on Saturday night. The game was cut to 2x20 minutes halves as Reds A had only 15 players including those benching for 1st team (Korczyk, Banks). Thongan Thor had his first opportunity to play some footy in Aus. This weekend Qld under 20 plays Easts and the Reds A players may be joining the team.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
QLD under 20 played Reds A before the main event on Saturday night. The game was cut to 2x20 minutes halves as Reds A had only 15 players including those benching for 1st team (Korczyk, Banks). Thongan Thor had his first opportunity to play some footy in Aus. This weekend Qld under 20 plays Easts and the Reds A players may be joining the team.
Do you happen to know who the starting & reserve front rowers were for the u20s?

Status
Not open for further replies.