• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 IRB Junior Rugby World Cup - Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
Piece in todays Townsville Bulletin about the U20 Qld Country team

Attachments

• Picture 046.jpg
    Picture 046.jpg
    484.7 KB · Views: 273
T

TOCC

I know we were previously discussing the make up of the International Under 20 Championship on the Gold Coast, so this is the official structure of the season.. Its great to see the introduction of the International U20 Championship, playing against New Zealand especially will help the boys leading into the Junior World Championship.

2015 National Under 20 Program
Southern States Under 20 Championship - 20-25 February 2015 – Adelaide
*Competing teams: Western Australia, South Australia, Victoria, ACT, NSW Country, Queensland Country

National Under 20 Championship - 20-25 March 2015 – Canberra
*Competing teams: NSW, Queensland, Australian Barbarians (selected from the Southern States Championships, Tonga (invited team) & Fiji (invited team)

International Under 20 Championship - 28 April-9 May 2015 – Gold Coast
*Competing teams: Australia, New Zealand, Samoa & Japan

World Rugby Junior (Under 20) World Championships - 2-20 June 2015 – Parma, Italy

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
8 of the U20's boys playing for NSW A. Not a half bad effort on that front. Big scalp for McCalman to get a run in the starting A team

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A usually reliable source has told me that this is the programme for the NSW U20’s leading up to Nationals:

Sat 21 Feb - Play 40 minutes of Club Footy if games are available

Sat Fri 27 Feb - TG Millner (in conjunction with Gen Blue game against Pampas XV at 6pm) Internal Trial at 4pm

Sat 7 Mar - Rockdale Rigby Club - 2 pm - 3 way trial against Northern Suburbs and Southern Districts

Following this there are no games allowed for the final squad for National Championships which start on Friday 21 March in Canberra

Edit: Thanks @Sideline eye. My Original Date was correct (27th). Day of the week was incorrect. Now corrected above to Friday 27 Feb after confirming information with my snout.

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
A usually reliable source has told me that this is the programme for the NSW U20’s leading up to Nationals:

Sat 21 Feb - Play 40 minutes of Club Footy if games are available

Sat 27 Feb - TG Millner (in conjunction with Gen Blue game against Pampas XV at 6pm) Internal Trial at 4pm

Hugh. A little birdy tells me the internal trial next week is on Friday arvo at 4pm, not Sat (so, the date in your post is right, the day is incorrect).

Also, I think they are training tomorrow (21st) - not playing half a game of club footy any more -
and then watching Gen Blue A at Forshaw.

However, someone with first hand knowledge might be able to confirm this 100%.

Charlies son Bob

Stan Wickham (3)
How did the Gen Blue boys go?

66 to 10 - Gen Blue favour. Some very good back line tries in the first half (courtesy Kellaway and Clunies Ross) Red card waved in the air at half time for Canadian (Tonga) (tackle mid air - flipped player onto his head). Referee tried hard to let it flow - full complement of Australia Tonga on second half. Second half much more physical Australian Tonga took it to the Gen Blue forwards - which gave GB some great tackling practice at a fast pace. The GEN BLUE bench was used - all present having a run. Good to see Folau and Skeleton in the crowd keeping selfies alive!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Looks like ACT will be playing WA for the chocolates for the Southern States U20 Title.

Any snouts on the ground in Adelaide with match reports or player observations?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Looks like ACT will be playing WA for the chocolates for the Southern States U20 Title.
The big game will be tomorrow between the two teams.

As last year, and in the nationals in Canberra this year, not everybody will play everybody else; so I don't know how they strike a winner, but since WA, Vic and the ACT all play each other the winner of that group will be the real winner.

The main thing is the selection for the third Aussie team in the nationals.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
How did the Gen Blue boys go? Can't seem to locate the result on the Tahs' website, google, etc.
It wasn't the Under 20s GB Colts who were playing TP: it was the GB senior side, albeit with many Under 20s in it the same as last week v. the ACT As.

The GB seniors looked better in the second half when the youngsters were on last week.

Delphy

Ward Prentice (10)
Any snouts on the ground in Adelaide with match reports or player observations?

Not there myself but this on the RugbyWA website:

http://www.rugbywa.com.au/article/wa-begin-southern-states-championship-title-defence-39-7-victory

Sounds like Nick Jooste has had a great start. He is one of 4 17 year olds on tour and will be back at Schoolboys later this year. He attracted some attention in 2014 and will be better again in 2015. Great player and terrific young man.

It is a shame Backhouse and Schneider couldn't make the tour. Backhouse in particular would have been a hot WA contender for an Aus 20's spot. Hopefully still on someone's clipboard but missing the lead up tournaments isn't ideal.

The ACT v WA game should be fantastic.

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
Snip.

Sounds like Nick Jooste has had a great start. He is one of 4 17 year olds on tour and will be back at Schoolboys later this year. He attracted some attention in 2014 and will be better again in 2015. Great player and terrific young man.

Jooste really caught my eye in a couple of games that I saw him play at the U16s Nationals at Riverview in 2013. Pleased to hear of his development. He also showed some excellent goal kicking prowess, slotting goals from all angles in tricky conditions.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
WA def ACT 28 - 24

Chocolate to the boys from the West, but not by too much. Sounds like there will be some good competition for slots in the final Australian Barbarians (or Southern States/Combined States) team, which can only auger well for their performance at the National Championships, and for all National Team selections.

Somehow I feel that the QLD team will be more competitive than they were last year.

redhead

Herbert Moran (7)
You would think so. However with such disastrous start to 2015 campaign by Reds (I refer to injury count only) you may see few of those youngsters pull back to bench for S15.

Status
Not open for further replies.