• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 IRB Junior Rugby World Cup - Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I know the Junior World Cup is still some time away but I'm already intrigued by our match up against South Africa.

etc etc

Welcome to the forum 747. Keep them coming.

Those players sound scary; maybe even to England whose programmes are second to none and something we could never duplicate here because we don't have the deep pockets that they have.

Thomas du Toit will be a star in South African rugby in a few years time; I bet that WP/Stormers spewed when he went to Durban, just as they must have when Pollard left for JHB.

We will find it difficult to match the SAffers or Poms up front as we do in any year these days, including our seniors. As for the other Euro teams: we should be competitive if we meet them although the advantage they have of playing in the five-match U20 6N currently, must be priceless.

Oddly, I think we may be more competitive against the Kiwis than against the two big bopper teams.

The world of junior rugby is turning. New Zealand won the first four international U20 competitions, lost the fifth in the final in 2012 and had to play-off for third and fourth place in the last couple of years.

Australia made the final in 2010 and the semis in 2009 and 2011, but have not been contenders for the lollies since then.

England, with its high revenue, intelligently used—and South Africa, which doesn't have 18 professional Aussie Rules teams nor 15 professional Rugby League teams sucking up TV revenue and the cream of the gene pool, as Australia does—both have extraordinary advantages over us now with our shoe-string budget.

The junior programmes they are able to set up are the things of dreams to us.

The Kiwis know, as we do, that our lads will catch up with England and South Africa as senior players (them more than us) but it must be galling for them to not be at the top of any rugby competition.

Reactions: 777

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
@747
The Du Preez twins are going to take the rugby world by storm. They are fantastically talented at the same time as being huge kids.

Reactions: 777

rugby roo

Peter Burge (5)
Have Waratahs announced their 20s squad for 2015? ?
Their website still has 2014 info as latest and I believe they play very soon in Canberra.
Its probably the squad/team and a few that played on weekend????.
Geez wish they would update their site so some of us living away from civilisation can get updates etc.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Have Waratahs announced their 20s squad for 2015? ?
Their website still has 2014 info as latest and I believe they play very soon in Canberra.
Its probably the squad/team and a few that played on weekend????.
Geez wish they would update their site so some of us living away from civilisation can get updates etc.
Go back three pages in this thread. The NSW team is listed.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It's in post #376.

One player (Matt Gibbon) was injured and his shadow (Vunipola Fifita) will be included in the the 26 if he doesn't recover.

Anybody know if this has been resolved yet—or of any other injuries sustained?

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
Not sure where to post this, but given Crighton would have been likely to be in this NSW 20s squad, this is probably as good a place as any. Starting No. 12 for the Rabbitoh's this weekend.
039506284cf07389005b977514232e80.jpg

Mr Hector

Frank Row (1)
Crighton is starting no 12 for the Rabbitohs Under 20s. There are some familiar names in the Roosters U20s - Newington's Taane Milne, Knox's Connor Watson and Riverview's Alex Lyons. All schoolboy rugby players!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Have we got anyone who will be in Canberra for the national U20's that can provide fellow Gaggerlanders updates, photos, twittering, and/or match reports?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Chris Deegan said he would be tweeting again and other parents at lead-up games have told me that they will be tweeting also.

So as soon as folks see the tweets appear could they please put them in this thread for non-tweeters like myself.

I should be getting a couple of emails also but they will be anonymous unlike the tweets. I will supply details which are not confidential.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member

It's been mentioned on another thread.

The story of Moeroa has been known on our school rugby forums for years. Like Joey Lussick and Taane Milne, he was recruited from rugby league by the same school, building up to a centenary year, and it was tough to compete against them in those years.

Those players were always going back to league, and they went. They didn't actually get away from us: they were committed to go back.

Parramatta has been good to Tepai and his family in times of adversity and he is a good lad who will appreciate what they did for him.

I hope it works out for both parties.

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
Based on last years team, and there train on squad:

1. Sandell
2. ??
3. ??
4. Hanigan
5. ??
6. Korzyck
7. Gunn/McCalman
8. Fakoselia (possibly on QLD duties?)
9. ??
10. Deegan
11. Kellaway (possibly on Tahs duties?)
12. ??
13. Magnay (possibly on QLD duties?)
14. Quick
15. Placid (possibly on Rebels duties?)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^^
It is always dangerous to assume that a previous incumbent will return but don't forget these folk:
Props
Cameron ORR - 2014 Australian U20
Fereti SA'AGA - 2014 Samoa U20

Loose Forward
Sam CROKE - 2014 Australian U20

I reckon that these young men will feature in a Gold Jumper:
2. Folau FAINGA'A
9. Mitch SHORT
Bench. Harry JONES (some defensive lapses in NRC & Shute Shield [He was only 18/19 and hopefully he's addressed these since] but fast and can kick from hand & off the Tee a long way, off both feet)

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
Auckland has 33% of NZs population but only 18% of the make up on that total list. I don't know the origin of the players but Auckland seem under represented.

Rugby is the national sport and the majority of the best players seem to come from the 'country' areas. A lot of farm boys. A lot of the players also go to University so the University provinces can get quite a few players. Auckland (Auckland University) Manawatu (Massey University), Wellington (Victoria University) and Otago (Otago University) are the three biggest Uni areas. Canturbury generally attracts the players from the West Coast and North Otago so they also get a large number of Rep Players.

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
^^^^
It is always dangerous to assume that a previous incumbent will return but don't forget these folk:

See updated below:

Still seems to be a lock and centre up for real grabs? Unless Korzyck is going to go into the second row, and potentially Kellaway into the Centres to free up some wing space??

1. Sandell
2. Fainga'a
3. Orr/Sa'aga
4. Hanigan
5. ??
6. Korzyck/Croke
7. Gunn/McCalman
8. Fakoselia (possibly on QLD duties?)
9. Short
10. Deegan
11. Kellaway (possibly on Tahs duties?)
12. ??
13. Magnay (possibly on QLD duties?)
14. Quick/Jones
15. Placid (possibly on Rebels duties?)

redhead

Herbert Moran (7)
Aus U20 will need an imposing figure in the second row to have any chance against SA or EUs teams. I can only hope that either Lukhan or Rhodda will impress in 2 weeks.

Softhands

Frank Row (1)
Hey Hans nice selection but you might also consider Mafi, Tuttle, Third, and Dalglesh. All had a great season in premier rugby

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Waikato chiefs signed Cameron Skelton (2014 Samoa U20 & younger brother to Will of the Waratahs) to some minor fanfare in July last year.

I see he hasn't been listed in the NZ Development Camp.

He hasn't been seen running around in a Chiefs Super Rugby Jumper.

Will we see him backing up for Samoa Under 20 this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.