• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 IRB Junior Rugby World Cup - Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
LG, do you have details of trials for the colts this weekend in NSW or QLD. Is anyone likely heading along that can do a quick match review/report and possibly jot down some inclusions/omissions?

Insight

Stan Wickham (3)
question ? there are lots of talented young men among most of the team 35 extended squads an example of this was the last trial game with New South Wales under 20. I believe the team with players coming back from injury or were considered not to be the run-on side were leading seven tries to one at half time. So the final squad will generally be coaches choice, making assumption this would be the case for the other two sides competing at the nationals, would it not be worthwhile to have a fourth team competing at nationals chosen from the extended squads, or do the selectors already have a team in mind for the Australian 20, that this talent can be overlooked due to coaches preferences.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
It's like any level of rugby - there's always people who miss out at the next level who might be there if someone else was coaching.

You would expect that selections are done over a period of time observing players in their training environment, in their team trials against other players, as well as at the Championships.

Uncle Joe

Herbert Moran (7)
question ? there are lots of talented young men among most of the team 35 extended squads an example of this was the last trial game with New South Wales under 20. I believe the team with players coming back from injury or were considered not to be the run-on side were leading seven tries to one at half time. So the final squad will generally be coaches choice, making assumption this would be the case for the other two sides competing at the nationals, would it not be worthwhile to have a fourth team competing at nationals chosen from the extended squads, or do the selectors already have a team in mind for the Australian 20, that this talent can be overlooked due to coaches preferences.
I have no doubt that there will alot of talented young blokes that miss out on selection but increasing the number of teams at Nationals would only create more people to be cut at that stage. If you have not impressed enough to make one of the three teams I am guessing you have missed your chance for the Aussie side.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I'm not so sure Uncle Joe.
Look at how many kids make Oz or Oz A teams through Combined States after missing selection in the two NSW squads.
National selectors do not necessarily have the same views as state selectors.

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
You could probably put another team of those left from New South Wales and Queensland final sides. And possibly one from the country sides . While also maybe another from those who didn't make the southern states side. But as you say, you still have to cut back to one squad for the National team. Is it worth all that trouble and expense to get one or two smokies who, on the toss, may or may not be much better, if any, than someone in front of them?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
LG, do you have details of trials for the colts this weekend in NSW or QLD. Is anyone likely heading along that can do a quick match review/report and possibly jot down some inclusions/omissions?

No idea about Queensland but the NSW boys are having a "3 way vs. Norths/Souths 1st Grade" at Rockdale Rugby Park at 2pm.

No, I don't know what it means either. I will probably be there if for nothing else but to find who is left in the squad - to see if my snouts were right.

That's if I don't get lost. Rockdale is in Sydney where I live but I've been on annual leave and not gone as far as Rockdale.

Monty Python

Ted Fahey (11)
No idea about Queensland but the NSW boys are having a "3 way vs. Norths/Souths 1st Grade" at Rockdale Rugby Park at 2pm.

No, I don't know what it means either. I will probably be there if for nothing else but to find who is left in the squad - to see if my snouts were right.

That's if I don't get lost. Rockdale is in Sydney where I live but I've been on annual leave and not gone as far as Rockdale.

It's actually called "CA Redmond Field" in the street directory. The entrance is via Francis Avenue, Brighton-Le-Sands. It's easily missed as it's just a driveway between two houses, but it is the entrance to a bowls club or something, from memory, which is next to the rugby fields. You park up the driveway.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ @Monty Python is correct. It is the entrance to the Brighton Le Sands Bowling Club.

Usually the Host club (Rockdale Rugby) have someone standing at the entrance ready to accept a donation of $5 for parking, and good on them as the money all goes to keep the Rockdale Club going. If it is a big game, they will occasionally park on the #2 oval as well as in the bowlo car park. Rockdale play in NSW SRU competition, and they have a junior division that plays in SJRU competitions.

If you are coming from the Northern Beaches, go through passport control at the Spit Bridge, and head for the airport. In the airport tunnel stay right and don't take the M5 exit. Head towards Brighton Le Sands, and turn right at Bestic Street. Turn left after about 400m into Francis Street, and then the Bowlo is about another 500m on the right.

trevor cork

Stan Wickham (3)
Usually the Host club (Rockdale Rugby) have someone standing at the entrance ready to accept a donation of $5 for parking, and good on them as the money all goes to keep the Rockdale Club going. If it is a big game, they will occasionally park on the #2 oval as well as in the bowlo car park. Rockdale play in NSW SRU competition, and they have a junior division that plays in SJRU competitions.

Don't forget, like all suburban rugby clubs they battle for every dollar, so leave all your change behind, when parking and at the BBQ.

Charlies son Bob

Stan Wickham (3)
I think a few of the team will remember a SJRU Carnival there a few years ago. Rained all Queens Birthday WE and the wind was howling from across the Bay with the best boot being the wellington boot! (ensuing mud)

Understand another hit out next Tuesday against Randwick colts.

As Colonel Clink would say - very interesting!

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
The Australian Barbarians team will compete in the 2015 National Under 20s Championship against New South Wales, Queensland, Tonga and Fiji, with the tournament running from the 19-25 March.
Now in its second year, the tournament will be played in Canberra and will give the best young players from around the country an opportunity to push for a spot in the National Under 20s Australian team, ahead of the FORU International Under 20s Championship (April) and the World Rugby Junior World Championships in June.
The Barbarians team was chosen from last month’s Southern States Under 20s Championship and features 11 players from the ACT, six from Victoria, five from Western Australia, three from New South Wales Country and one from Queensland Country.
Head Coach, Russell Ingram, is looking forward to the challenge and believes the tournament presents a unique national pathway for up and coming players in the country.
“I’m really excited. They’re a talented group of young men and it’s a great opportunity for them to stake their claim for Australian selection.
“Our front row stocks are looking really strong and there is some pace out wide as well, so I think we are in good shape.”
Ingram considers this tournament to be a crucial stepping stone for players who want a ticket to the pinnacle of elite junior Rugby later this year.
“As a barbarian unit, the chance to mix with other people and cultures will give them a feel for what it’s like to play at a representative level.
“The end purpose is to put them in the best possible position to represent Australia at the Junior World Championship in Parma, Italy.”
Events like the National Under 20s Championship will strengthen Australian Rugby’s junior stocks and also help to earmark future stars of the game.
“I think we’re definitely on the right track to finding the best kids and giving them the opportunity to play at the highest level” said Ingram.
The National Under 20s Championships will kick off later this month with the Australian Barbarians taking on Tonga in the first match of the tournament.
Australian Barbarians Squad:
ACT
Harrison
Lloyd
ACT
Connal
McInerney
ACT
Tyrell
Lomax
ACT
Callum
Smith
ACT
Brode
Leber
ACT
Dean
Parragalli
ACT
Joel
Brown
ACT
Jordan
Jackson-Hope
ACT
Keith
Morgan
ACT
Jamie
Kotz
ACT
Harry
Burey
WA
Riley
Winter (VC
WA
Netiinili
Fielea
WA
Angus
Taylor (VC
WA
Kauri
Cudd
WA
Hayden
Anderson
VIC
Ta
Hosea
VIC
RJ
Saaga
VIC
Fereti
Saaga (C
VIC
Sione
Tuipolotu
VIC
Patolo
Toeta
VIC
Jonah
Placid
NSW C
Philip
Bradford
NSW C
Blake
Walsh
NSW C
Josh
Vainikolo
QLD C
Harry
Nucifora

FrontRowFan

Herbert Moran (7)
Just browsing around, and was interested to see this list of boys from the SJRU U16 Zone teams list in 2012 on this web page (http://www.juniors.rugbynet.com.au/). So many familiar names from the various Schoolboy association 1st XV teams, and some in the current NSW U20s squad.
And some I find myself thinking - he was a fantastic player.... whatever happened to him?!

U16 SJRU 2013.jpg

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The NSW Under 20s had a good hit-out at Rockdale today.

What appeared to be their top XV played Southern Districts First Grade in the first 40 minutes. After some constant pressure by SD the juniors took everything they had including some challenging scrums from the senior players - but their defence was brilliant in organisation, spot tackling and dominant tackling, which created turnovers.

There was a later period when SD got a sniff in the U20 22 for a while but a sniff is all they got.

The U20s weren't perfect: some balls were dropped under pressure, and even without it; and some set plays looked anything but set; but still ….

Scoring five tries to nil in 40 minutes against a senior First Grade side was a good effort, even with the wind in their favour. NSW U20s 31 - Southern Districts 0.

The juniors got 40 mins rest whilst SD played their second half for the day against Norths 1st Grade. When that was over and Norths got a "half-time" break they played the NSW U20s in the second half of the day for both teams.

The juniors did well in this half also despite playing what appeared to be all their reserves for most of the half.

It was more of the same for the U20s in this period and if they were mostly reserves that augurs well for them because they "won" that half 19-7, albeit with the wind at their backs.

The only try that was scored against the U20s on the day was when they turned the ball over, and the sequence of events went something like this:

- the turnover-ball was passed to the Norths' winger near his own 22.

- an Under 20 coach (he offered me money not to name him) screamed "Forward pass, ref".

- the Norths winger running past the coach said "Fuck off" to him at top speed; he was running fast too.

- He kicked forward, got the bounce and scored. Nice try.

That was a damned good hit-out for an U20 team who ended up with a total 80 minute score for the day against senior first grade teams of 50-7.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
And now we know the NSW U20s team:

The NSW Under 20s team that played today was:

1. Cameron Orr
2. Folau Fainga'a
3. Matt Sandell
4. Harrison Williams
5. Lukhan Lealaiauloto-Tui
6. Sam Croke
7. Jack McCalman
8. Ollie Kamp

9. Mitch Short
10. Andrew Deegan
11. Henry Hutchison
12. Jack Redden
13. Alex Newsome
14. Harry Jones
15. Andrew Kellaway

16. Ed Craig
3 b. Francis Brown
17. Nick Kellaway
18. Vuni Fifita *
21. Rory Davis
22. Corey Tulloch
23. Hamish Dunbar
24. Ben Starkey

Injured for today but in squad:

LHP - Matt Gibbon * (shoulder)
Lock - Ned Hanigan (ankle)
Back 3 - Tyson Davis (back)

Not available today but in squad:

Winger - Christian Yassmin

* Matt Gibbon was injured in the hit-out last week. If he doesn't recover in time he will be replaced by Vuni Fifita.

My snouts got it spot-on except for confusion about one player which is now resolved because there are 26 in the group, not 25 as I thought.

There were some excellent young players who missed out on selection, and if a measure of a squad can be made by considering those who missed out - this is a fine young squad.

redhead

Herbert Moran (7)
QLD Under 20 - GPS Premier 15 27-21 (4 against 3 tries)
Starting 15 (to my best knowledge, sorry for omission or any mistake)
Pleash, ?, Sikimeti, Korczyk, Young, Jones, Gunn, Fakosilea,
Fines, Pauaiaa, Fittock, Tanuvasa, Perese, Quick, Dalgleish
This was game of 2 halves. The first 40 minutes was dominated by strong GPS team and U20 made dozen of simple mistakes in the backline. Scrum was shaky at best, line outs not straight and at times Number 10 was still playing for Broncos. The beginning of 2nd half was again far from promising as GPS scored right under the post to take the lead to 21-3. Then the unthinkable happened. QLD U 20 piled 24 unanswered points in very impressive style.
The best in QLD U20 : Korczyk, Tanuvasa, Pleash, Gunn, Quick. Maclean Jones was stretched out with ankle injury. The list of injured players grows (Potgieter, Fox, McMillan, Mafi).
Next weekend game against Sunshine Coast team. Team should be finalised by then.

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
And now we know the NSW U20s team:

The NSW Under 20s team that played today was:

1. Cameron Orr
2. Folau Fainga'a
3. Matt Sandell
4. Harrison Williams
5. Lukhan Lealaiauloto-Tui
6. Sam Croke
7. Jack McCalman
8. Ollie Kamp

9. Mitch Short
10. Andrew Deegan
11. Henry Hutchison
12. Jack Redden
13. Alex Newsome
14. Harry Jones
15. Andrew Kellaway

16. Ed Craig
3 b. Francis Brown
17. Nick Kellaway
18. Vuni Fifita *
21. Rory Davis
22. Corey Tulloch
23. Hamish Dunbar
24. Ben Starkey

Snip.

Thanks, LG. Very good looking side. There's some serious pace and skill in that backline that includes 2 Riverview graduates, Redden & Hutchison. After his brief foray in Brumbies' colours, very pleased to see HH back in his birth state. Having only recently turned 18 we can look forward to his several campaigns in the U20s.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
The Barbarians team was chosen from last month’s Southern States Under 20s Championship and features 11 players from the ACT, six from Victoria, five from Western Australia, three from New South Wales Country and one from Queensland Country.
I wonder if they could select two sides from "The Rest" for the nationals? Would give an even 6 teams for the tournament. Perhaps a genuine Southern States side (Vic, SA, WA) as well as an Aus Barbarians team (ACT, NSW C, Qld C - and maybe a wildcard or two missing from Syd/Bris selections).

Costs probably come into it, but it seems WA have been cut a bit short winning the comp only to see ACT get 42% of the spots in the Barbarian squad.

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
Really glad LG had the note pad out yesterday, i got most of the name down, but didn't recognise some! After watching the garbage last night, i'm glad i got my local fix of NSW rugby yesterday.

The U20's looked very slick after weathering an early storm. You would have to think with the inclusion of Kellaway and Harry Jones out wide, if the NSW forwards can hold up to the likes of QLD and the southerners, the outside backs will be just to good. Kellaway and Jones made the Southern districts outside backs look average on more than one occasion, receiving great service from the 10, and great support from the 12 and 13.

In the forwards, the monster lock (Lukan?) got in plenty of big hits, but was quiet elsewhere, with Sandell being very industrious, supported ably by McCalman. Croke had a ripper of a game, scoring one of the most determined tries in the opposite corner to where i was standing. His Northern Suburbs teammates were very encouraging as he scored right in front of their tent. Kamp the 8 played well, although looks to lack a bit of size, but he certainly goes in hard.

The fluency in the second term was down a bit, with the backs having alot less impact than against southern, however the forwards worked very hard. The replacement 7 (Dunbar) was very strong, but will probably play second fiddle to McCalman, who was very good all day. The replacement lock (Kellaway 2) got through a mountain of work including 2 big midfield breaks, if only he had the footspeed of His brother, he would have been in for 2 long range tries, alas, not to be, but gave great offload ball and was a major pest in that midfield region. Both hookers were strong, and all of the centres played well for the day.

From an end game perspective, i think the coaches will be very happy with the hitout, especially the way the first half side continuously broke apart a very strong souths outfit, i smell a game plan of get it out wide and let the Hutchisons, Kellaway's & Jones' loose on their counterparts one on one! The outside backs from the opposition teams will need to be working over time on these boys, they were very very slick! The back row stocks look very good, the one weakness if you had to find one is the depth and impact the locks will have, with the likes of N Kellaway & Hanigan playing very loose, a lot will depend on Lukan & Williams giving some go forward. the front row look to be able to assist in the tight work with Sandell the man to lead the charge in this department as head of the tight 5.

Very promising stuff, and i imagine some very happy coaches after that one.

On the SS front, Norths need to start worrying now, they looked very out of sorts yesterday with minimal impact in either game, including against a souths team who were backing straight up for a second 40 against a fresh norths team. Not looking good for the shoremen!

Status
Not open for further replies.