• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 IRB Junior Rugby World Cup - Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Some of the "first choice" starters may be carrying little niggles, bumps and bruises from their club footy last weekend that Coach Thompson doesn't want to risk aggravating in the Samoa game.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Good News for the U20 Programme:

Extract from ARU Article naming the 14 man squad for Glasgow Sevens.
... ... ... Bradley Wilkin, meanwhile, is unavailable for the final two legs of the season as part of a mutual agreement between the Australian Sevens program and the Under 20s that allows the Queenslander to play in the forthcoming Oceania Rugby Junior Championship and the World Rugby Under 20 Championships in June. ... ... ...

http://www.rugby.com.au/News/NewsAr...extended-14-man-squad-for-Glasgow-Sevens.aspx

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
SdW0aNBh.jpg

That cup being held by Moli and Kellaway on the goldie appears to have several little shields tacked onto it.

- So we should be seeing annual editions of this Oceania Championship. :)

T

TOCC

excellent. So he will be available for our bye this weekend?

Probably an indication that he is likely to start again next weekend for the Reds, 5 games in 12 days might be a bit much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Don't know the captains of the other teams at all, but it looks to me that Kellaway might just be the only backs player to be appointed. Is this related to the mythical Aussie style of rugby?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Don't know the captains of the other teams at all, but it looks to me that Kellaway might just be the only backs player to be appointed. Is this related to the mythical Aussie style of rugby?

?

All our Super rugby captains are forwards. The past u20s captains were McMahon, Browning, Gill, Fainga'a. The past Wallabies captains have been Moore, Hooper, Horwill, Mowen, Elsom.. I'm sure Kellaway just got it being the most experienced.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
For those of us who haven't seen some of the lads since school it will be interesting to watch this game.

I see that Redden, an inside centre for NSW U20s is on the wing and Kellaway is in his preferred position of outside centre—and I can't recall that I ever saw him play there from U16s up.

And since he is playing 13 and Placid and Jones are injured, Newsome the outside centre for NSW is at fullback. Most NSW people may have thought Redden would be 13, Newsome on the wing and Kellway at 15 - but I can't wait to see him play at outside centre.

I can't remember that I saw lock Winter play before without looking at my old school programmes. I see that they still can't spell Hanigan's name correctly but they are doing better with Lukhan's surname these days. I hope the big fellow does well because he looks a bit lost sometimes - but I said the same about Will Skelton at that age (no responses needed on that one).

Orr had a cracking game at LHP in the TV match Rats v Wests the weekend before last and I trust that form will carry through.

It will be interesting to see the Queensland scrumhalves looking through my NSW blue eyes because I thought Short was dudded—without seeing any games in Canberra, mind. Having Nucifora, the youngest in the group, ahead of him was surprising, but my views can be changed in ten minutes, and I hope they are.

How will Paia'aua go at 12?

And yarda, yarda. This is a patchwork side without Korczyk, Magnay, Placid, Hutchison and Jones (though Yassmin will do a top job replacing Jones permanently I reckon); but it's not a bad thing to see guys playing out of position and also playing with strangers.

That will have to happen at the World 20s and if some lads stumble in that regard they can always be replaced before they go to Italy, or be down-graded to reserve status for big games and the more versatile ones upgraded.

As I have mentioned before: it will be interesting to see the starting side to play NZ because, that will be likely the current thinking about the best XV to play South Africa in the pool games—but for returning players.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
NZ team named for Oceania U20 Championship opener vs Japan later today

1 Tom Hill
2 Leni Apisai
3 Atunaisa Moli (c)
4 Geoffrey Cridge
5 Hamish Dalzell
6 Mitchell Jacobson
7 Mitchell Karpik
8 Blake Gibson
9 Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi
10 Otere Black (vc)
11 Sean Wainui
12 Tinoai (TJ) Faiane
13 Jack Goodhue
14 Vincent Tavae-Aso
15 Luteru Laulala

Reserves
16 Liam Polwart
17 Ricky Riccitelli
18 Isileli Tu'uangafasi
19 Mitchell Dunshea
20 Teariki Ben-Nicholas
21 Luke Campbell
22 Anton Lienert- Brown
23 Mitchell Hunt

Coach Scott Robertson has opted for a side with numerous players already in professional rugby environments.

"What we’re keen to do in Australia is to give these guys an opportunity to play and show their talent in the first two games. The team we’ve chosen for the match against Japan have Super Rugby and ITM Cup experience which is a great mix to start our campaign," he said.

Matches are being livestreamed on both http://www.rugby.com.au and http://www.oceaniarugby.com.

https://nz.sports.yahoo.com/news/ar...am-named-for-oceania-u20-championship-opener/

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
Anyone have any idea as to the degree of damp expected on the sunshine strip this afternoon. are we talking a light drizzle, or a dead set drenching?

Something tells me the forwards are going to feature heavily in the mud!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^^ Pfft .... ... ... Stormchasers. They're nothin'.

However if this bloke turns up at Burleigh Waters Bunnings looking for a bit of wood, then you'll know you are in for a bit of trouble.
noahs-ark-james-edwin-mcconnell.jpg

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Anyone have any idea as to the degree of damp expected on the sunshine strip this afternoon. are we talking a light drizzle, or a dead set drenching?

Something tells me the forwards are going to feature heavily in the mud!

It was belting down about an hour ago, and they were predicting the heaviest rain to arrive at 2PM. However, I'm willing to bet against the BOM, and say it will only be light rain this afternoon.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ Same Bat-Time, Same Bat-Channel.

The matches will now stand as;

Saturday 2 May
1pm, Japan v New Zealand
3pm, Australia v Samoa

Oceania Rugby Championship Director, Wayne Schuster emphasised the importance of player safety.

Naturally we are disappointed that there will be games today, however player welfare must always be our highest priority.

“The decision to postpone the matches had the full agreement of every participating nation and we look forward to starting the tournament once conditions are expected to improve on Saturday 2 May.”

Green and Gold Rugby Poster, Hugh Jarse said "That is a great decision. In terms of preparation for the Junior World Cup, particularly for finalising teams and combinations, there really is stuff all to be gained from playing the tournament games in pissing rain."

Status
Not open for further replies.