• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 IRB Junior Rugby World Cup - Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrontRowFan

Herbert Moran (7)
I'm hearing some info about the final team from the squirrels - with some surprises - but please don't declare what you know, or think you know, before the team announcement.

Thank you

Lee, what's he point of a forum like this if we can't post leaks, gossip, insights and guesses? However well credentialed they may (or may not) be. Otherwise we might just as well follow he ARU website instead?!!

I kinda thought that was the forum's 'reason for being' .

Edit: Fair 'nuf. Thanks @Braveheart. Gotcha.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Lee, what's he point of a forum like this if we can't post leaks, gossip, insights and guesses? However well credentialed they may (or may not) be. Otherwise we might just as well follow he ARU website instead?!!

I kinda thought that was the forum's 'reason for being' .

I think Lee Grant's point is that some people are in the know before some of the actual players are and for that reason a bit of tact doesn't go astray.

Feel free to guess who you think will make the cut etc. but if you're actually in the know, avoid posting information that may not be public knowledge at this stage.

B

Bobby Sands

I understand your intentions here but I think we should consider whether this is effectively creating guidelines that you can only post information if you are not 100% certain of its truth ie speculation is allowed but fact is not.

I think with young men it's a different barrel of fish to professionals.

It's hardly a precedent for the entire forum.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I understand your point but I think Aust U20s is all but a professional environment. Many of the players are playing super rugby or in the wider training squads.

B

Bobby Sands

I understand your point but I think Aust U20s is all but a professional environment. Many of the players are playing super rugby or in the wider training squads.

From that squad, only a fraction will play the game to pay the bills.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Cameron Orr West Harbour NSW
Folau Fainga'a Sydney University NSW
Matthew Sandell Sydney University NSW
Ned Hanigan Randwick NSW
Olly Kamp Randwick NSW
Andrew Deegan Randwick NSW
Andrew Kellaway Randwick NSW
Alex Newsome Eastern Suburbs NSW
Lukhan Lealaiauloto-Tui Randwick NSW
Tyson Davis Warringah NSW
Sam Croke Randwick NSW
Conrad Quick Sunnybank QLD
Campbell Magnay GPS QLD
Aaron Pleash University of QLD QLD
Adam Korczyk University of QLD QLD
Lolo Fakaosilea Sunnybank QLD
Michael Gunn Easts QLD
Duncan Paia’aua GPS QLD
James Dalgleish University of QLD QLD
James Tuttle GPS QLD
Harry Nucifora Bond University QLD
Brad Wilkin Easts QLD
Connal McInerney Tuggeranong ACT
Tyrell Lomax Tuggeranong ACT
Riley Winter Wests Scarborough WA
Fereti Saaga Melbourne Uni VIC
Sione Tuipolotu Southern Districts VIC
Jonah Placid Melbourne Uni VIC

http://www.rugby.com.au/News/NewsAr...d-for-World-Rugby-U20-Championship-named.aspx

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
squad has been named anyway.

Australian U20’s World Championship Squad:
Ned Hanigan Randwick NSW
Olly Kamp Randwick NSW
Sam Croke Randwick NSW
Campbell Magnay GPS QLD
Michael Gunn Easts QLD
Duncan Paia’aua GPS QLD
James Tuttle GPS QLD
Brad Wilkin Easts QLD

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Thanks guys.

The NSW inclusions and exclusions I heard yesterday were spot on.

Davis didn't make the NSW team but he did well enough when called in for the Oceania tournament and good luck to that fine young man. I didn't think of Quick but Yassmin has been unlucky with selections and game time this year.

I think we'll see a lot of this bloke in the future unless his medical studies hold him back.

Hutchison is obviously not right but he has two more years of eligibility.

Croke was the other surprise because he was called in only after Gunn and Wilkin were injured, and Lolo not being available, yet all three are in the squad and Kamp is also in.

Good luck to the scrumhalves who I didn't rate that highly but selectors have to pay a high regard to versatility in the case of Tuttle. I hope that they are schooled in the last camp not to kick the ball away and to pass from the deck.

And I'd put them in front of old footage of Hipwell and Catchpole to learn how to deal with crap ball.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This is where they can play, noting that many of those named can play in more than their "preferred" positions, and they will be required to do so as the uncertainties of tournament play, and limitations of an 8 man bench, dictate.

Prop

Hooker

Locks
Ned Hanigan Randwick NSW

Back Row
Olly Kamp Randwick NSW
Sam Croke Randwick NSW
Michael Gunn Easts QLD
Brad Wilkin Easts QLD

Scrumhalf
James Tuttle GPS QLD

Flyhalf

Centre
Campbell Magnay GPS QLD
Duncan Paia’aua GPS QLD

Wing/Fullback

Don't forget Hugh's Law of Representative Team Selections that states that at least two of those named will be replaced by someone from the shadow squad, mainly due to injuries.

Go you good things.

rugby roo

Peter Burge (5)
Just saw the squad and it looks ok to me from my knowledge of the players and recent form guides.
The All Blacks were a whole different level of team last weekend but I think the Aus Boys learnt a bit from that lesson or at least I hope they did.because they have not seen the explosiveness and outright pace from structured play and indeed unstructured play.
You cant afford many mistakes or lapses in that environment as it means points against you very quickly as happened on saturday.
But to the Aussies credit they steadied the ship somewhat and the replacements were effective which is pleasing from a squad perspective.
I know some scribes have wholeheartedly written the squads chances off already but I am not as these boys do not fear anyone and when they overcome the stigma of being in awe of some teams they will shake a few up.Saturdays "Test Match" will only help them in that regard.
I wish them all the very best and hope they do us proud.
It sounds fantastic playing rugby in northern Italy in the warm weather but its an almighty task as they will be a bloody long way from home and with only a few supporters there so they will only be able to rely on their best efforts to sustain them in such an environment.
Good luck boys from some of the G&G forum members.

B

Bobby Sands

Based on that squad;

Orr
McIn
Sandall
Hanigan
LLT
Wilkin
Gunn / Kamp?
Korcyck / Lolo ?
Tuttle
Deegan
Davies / Quick
Duncan
Magnay
Kellaway
Placid

Would be the best XV ?

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
8 teams start playing tomorrow in Lisbon, Portugal, in what World Rugby (I guess that's the old IRB) calls the World Rugby U20 Trophy 2015.
Uruguay, Georgia, Canada, Nanibia, Tonga, Hong Kong, Fiji and Portugal are competing.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
So apparently 3 of the Japan U20's were previously Tonga representatives at juniors..

Is this a targeted effort by Japan Rugby to strengthen their test team, at what point are they recruiting the players to Japan? Is this good or bad for the global game?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As the era of professional Rugby continues to develop and you are a young man sitting in Nuku"alofa at the age of 17 and someone offers you the oportunity to earn $75k US vs staying in town and making SFA $nz..... Well bugger me! My bags are packed and I am standing in Narita waiting for a Bro to pick me up 10hours later.
Good luck to the lads and the International flavour they bring. Just imagine how good Morocco would have been with Abdul Benazzi or how average new zealand would be without Kevin Mealamu Or the Franks Brothers?

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Thanks guys.

The NSW inclusions and exclusions I heard yesterday were spot on.

Davis didn't make the NSW team but he did well enough when called in for the Oceania tournament and good luck to that fine young man. I didn't think of Quick but Yassmin has been unlucky with selections and game time this year.

I think we'll see a lot of this bloke in the future unless his medical studies hold him back.

Hutchison is obviously not right but he has two more years of eligibility.

Croke was the other surprise because he was called in only after Gunn and Wilkin were injured, and Lolo not being available, yet all three are in the squad and Kamp is also in.

Good luck to the scrumhalves who I didn't rate that highly but selectors have to pay a high regard to versatility in the case of Tuttle. I hope that they are schooled in the last camp not to kick the ball away and to pass from the deck.

And I'd put them in front of old footage of Hipwell and Catchpole to learn how to deal with crap ball.
Maybe watch footage of NFJ barking at his piggies too.
Sam Croke or Adam K could, in worst case scenario, sub in at 4/5.
Matt Sandell has played 2 many times before. And I tend to think to @Bobby Sands playing scraggers/fetchers off the back too. Gunn, Kamp, Wilkin would be my choice. All are balanced in contact and would work like three blue heelers in the top paddock. Throw Croke in as well with the speed to breakdown, then if you want a little more beef you have Adam K and Ned Hanigan for 6.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^ yeah, that 2 years Ben spent in Melbourne is what made him the player he is today, far & away the best prop in his daycare play group from what I've been told :)

And regardless of what GOAT said, the fact remains that Kev, like 90% of NZ players with a Polynesian surname (not to mention a similar % of the Samoan & Tongan National teams) was born, educated & learnt his rugby in NZ. He's rightly proud of his heritage but if you're gonna start calling him Samoan then Folau's Tongan.

Status
Not open for further replies.