• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 S18 SA teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Lions Super Rugby extended squad
Fullbacks: Andries Coetzee, JW Bell,
Wings: Ruan Combrink, Lloyd Greeff, Courtnall Skosan, Sampie Mastriet, Anthony Volmink,
Centres: Koch Marx, Selom Gavor, Rohan Janse van Rensburg, Nicolaas Hanekom, Howard Mnisi, Harold Vorster, Lionel Mapoe, Jacques Nel, Gerdus van der Walt,
Flyhalves: Marnitz Boshoff, Jaco van der Walt, Elton Jantjies, Ashlon Davids,
Scrumhalves: Ross Cronjé, Francois de Klerk, Ricky Schroeder, Dillon Smit, Marco van Vuren,
Nr 8: Warren Whiteley, Fabian Booysen, Ruaan Lerm,
Flanks: Jano Venter, Steph de Wit, Jaco Kriel, Derick Minnie, Warrick Tecklenburg, Ruan Ackermann, Cyle Brink, Victor Sekekete,
Locks: Robert Kruger, Lourens Erasmus, Luvuyiso Lusaseni, Franco Mostert, Martin Muller, JP du Preez, Andries Ferreira, Bobby de Wee,
Hookers: Robbie Coetzee, Malcolm Marx, Armand van der Merwe, Ramone Samuels,
Props: Jacques van Rooyen, Dylan Smith, Corné Fourie, Julian Redelinghuys, Ruan Dreyer, Justin Ackerman, Pieter Scholtz.

CleanCut

Frank Row (1)
I suppose the Johannesburg skyline is an interesting concept to go for but what of the traditional white jersey with a red band across the chest?

Even the Stormers have stuck with the traditional blue and white hoops of Province.

Couldn't the Lions have done the same.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
PlanetRugby & ESPNScrum both reporting that Stuart Lancaster has "dropped in" on the Stormers & that he's likely their next coach. Are any of the SA sports media reporting similarly? And if so what's the reaction from the fans been like?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Saru's strategic transformation plan kicks in from 2015. This mean our teams and coaching staff WILL have 30% representive with PoC.

This mean Inland franchise like the Bulls poach wide and south from small unions like SWD & Boland to get the numbers right.

@PaarlBok help me out, mate. I was running up a little research into the SA teams as I dont know them as well as I would like and was interested in the way you introduced the Bulls here. Not trying to be a smart arse just dont understand.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2015–16_Super_Rugby_transfers#Bulls

If Wiki is right (it is not always) ALL of your noted PoC were on the Bulls books last season, either playing Soup or CC or in the squad anyway.

Yep they picked up a couple of EP Kings but it wouldnt be hard to claim this as throwing out some support to players in trouble escaping from that debacle.

What I see, from afar, and not having watched closely the recent Bulls seasons, is a reliance on bringing local players through u21 to CC to Soup.

What am I missing, buddy? There is obviously a reputation issue the Bulls have from other franchises, can you expand on it for me?

At the moment I find myself wishing the Reds were as "generationally organised" as the Bulls. And I think its something of a Reds strength. (There aren't many but I'll hang my hat on this one.)

Thanks! :)

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
@PaarlBok help me out, mate. I was running up a little research into the SA teams as I dont know them as well as I would like and was interested in the way you introduced the Bulls here. Not trying to be a smart arse just dont understand.

What I see, from afar, and not having watched closely the recent Bulls seasons, is a reliance on bringing local players through u21 to CC to Soup.

What am I missing, buddy? There is obviously a reputation issue the Bulls have from other franchises, can you expand on it for me?
The Bulls use to contracted all the best young schoolboy players. Not anymore. Nowadays WP atrack the best.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Regarding PoC for the Bulls, they are on track to meet the requirements of 50% in 2019.

Their target will be 8 out of 23 PoC, 2 have to be etnic black.

They contracted this year Luther Obi & Lizo Gqoboka. They have 4 PoC in the backs, Warrick Gelant, Jamba Ulengo, Travis Ismaiel & Rudy Paige, 1 in the forwards Trevor Nyakane.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I'm looking forward to see how Marais adapts the game plan. I hear different things on his effectiveness at CC in being more adventurous. Some say it worked well, others say the Blue Bulls reverted to type if they were under stress. Still its fascinating seeing another Saffer coach building his credentials.

If he can move the most conservative Franchise in RSA to ball-in-hand rugby the bloke has one hell of a future. I'd say the same about David Manuel.

PS: it's not really "poaching" when we are talking Obi and Gqoboka given the debacle at EPRU/Kings. I do note that Brummer (key player given Pollard injury) is on loan from Pumas (by way of Cheetahs?). I thought Pumas were meant to feed into the Lions.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I'm looking forward to see how Marais adapts the game plan. I hear different things on his effectiveness at CC in being more adventurous. Some say it worked well, others say the Blue Bulls reverted to type if they were under stress. Still its fascinating seeing another Saffer coach building his credentials.

If he can move the most conservative Franchise in RSA to ball-in-hand rugby the bloke has one hell of a future. I'd say the same about David Manuel.

PS: it's not really "poaching" when we are talking Obi and Gqoboka given the debacle at EPRU/Kings. I do note that Brummer (key player given Pollard injury) is on loan from Pumas (by way of Cheetahs?). I thought Pumas were meant to feed into the Lions.
Puma is part of the Lions. However if the Lions dont use their players they'll play for other SA franchises. I am not sure of Marais and his Bulle. As long as the Pollard grey head clone (Tian Snyman) play 10, they'll kick the leather from the ball. It cost them the CC semi final vs WP at Loftus last year. You can expect something different from the Stormers. Hard luck we lost Jones but I am glad Fleckie is in charge now. I also like Franco Smith with the Cheetahs. He came through the right structures.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Was thinking Stormers were slightly more likely than Bulls to win Africa 1 conference, injury to Pollad just confirms that. Had thought Bulls might pip Sharks for 3rd in SA Group (Jaguares will surely win Africa 2 barring some kind of disaster(s) befalling them), now I'm not so sure.

1. Jaguares
2. Stormers
3. Sharks

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Marcel Coetzee off to Ulster. Massive loss. Best 3 backrowers from the RWC (Louw, Coetzee, Vermeulen) now all playing overseas.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Bulls: Rookie locks. Lost their best 2 flankers for 8 weeks. Pollard gone. They are stuffed.

Sharks: Always promise lots and deliver little. No Lambie. Why would this season be any different? Who is the coach anyway?

Stormers: Their coach would not even coach a club side in Aus or NZ. Fleck. Give me a break. He has the tactical nous of a pot plant. They will defend their way to falling short again. Just score more than 20 points against them and you win.

Lions: Everyone will goo aah and aah again and the Lions will fade as usual.

Cheetahs: Lost everyone worth a mention except de Jager. It will be messy. Very very messy.

Sun wolves: Come on let's all stop pretending that we have a clue about this team. We do not.

Jaguars: Will spring the odd upset. Everyone will get ooooh so excited that they are in the comp. It's their first season. Let's see what happens.

South African rugby is in dire straits. The Boks have no coach and apparently are not advertising. Alistair Coetzee all but has the job. Talk about stepping back into the dark ages. The Super coaches must be the most raggedy bunch I have ever seen. None really have the credentials to call them a coach of international standard. SA rugby has not evolved in the last few years. This sorry bunch sure as hell aren't going to evolve anything this year.

South African rugby is on a slide and there is no stopping it. No South African team will win the comp in the next 5 to ten years, or probably never again. Socio economically the country is turning into a basket case. Budgets will shrink, political interference will increase and the game will deteriorate even more.

Proper dinkum broken.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Socio economics is a big issue, the brain drain (muscle drain) is huge. But the extrordinary depth of SA rugby could maintain standard if their union arrangements effectively keep bringing plaeyers through. I look to the bulls and see a bright spot relying on junior structures with a new generation of players on a long term rebuild. Its not the only bright spot. Stormers and Lions also seem to have depth through their union and their structures. What visibility is available from Aus, the structures and development from Pumas, Griquas and Leopards (or at least from their Unions) also look good.

I like seeing guys like Marais and Fleck coming through to coach at the higher levels. Wish I could see some of that at the Reds.

Political interference is just bizaar from an Aussie perspective. Most would have an inkling of the EP and Cheeky debacle. But what is missed is the year before at Border with a mad lack of transparancy leadiing to a take over of the Professional Wing. Politiciancs getting involved with apparant lack of respect for the law (ignoring twice loosing in court) making the place bankrupt. They've been in direct SARU management since.

Thats two of the three regional unions that feed the Kings franchise under SARU management with no formal arrangement between the unions and the Franchise. A sleight of hand that allows SARU to proceed with non-involvement in the EP Kings. But surely leaves the unions floundering? Eagles must surely be baffled and re-kindling links to the Stormers(?).

We complain about the Aussie diaspora, but things in SA are crazy. To keep some coin, players that can are either returning from Europe, or from Japan.

If the Bulls squad is an expemplar, they start with a larger squad tha Aus, but quite a few end up as "did not play" ie end up cross training but playing in CC. In a squad (extended) of 48 I count 5 returning from Japan. I count 13 injured through the preseason (some returned December or January). The S&C bloke in a SA franchise must be the main man.

I love the way that CC is meshed into the Franchises but wonder at the equity with the non Franchise unions/CC teams.

SA rugby is a weird place.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Bulls: Rookie locks. Lost their best 2 flankers for 8 weeks. Pollard gone. They are stuffed.

Sharks: Always promise lots and deliver little. No Lambie. Why would this season be any different? Who is the coach anyway?

Stormers: Their coach would not even coach a club side in Aus or NZ. Fleck. Give me a break. He has the tactical nous of a pot plant. They will defend their way to falling short again. Just score more than 20 points against them and you win.

Lions: Everyone will goo aah and aah again and the Lions will fade as usual.

Cheetahs: Lost everyone worth a mention except de Jager. It will be messy. Very very messy.

Sun wolves: Come on let's all stop pretending that we have a clue about this team. We do not.

Jaguars: Will spring the odd upset. Everyone will get ooooh so excited that they are in the comp. It's their first season. Let's see what happens.

South African rugby is in dire straits. The Boks have no coach and apparently are not advertising. Alistair Coetzee all but has the job. Talk about stepping back into the dark ages. The Super coaches must be the most raggedy bunch I have ever seen. None really have the credentials to call them a coach of international standard. SA rugby has not evolved in the last few years. This sorry bunch sure as hell aren't going to evolve anything this year.

South African rugby is on a slide and there is no stopping it. No South African team will win the comp in the next 5 to ten years, or probably never again. Socio economically the country is turning into a basket case. Budgets will shrink, political interference will increase and the game will deteriorate even more.

Proper dinkum broken.
Welkom terug. :) Developing is SA Rugby first priority, winning last.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Just looking at the team lists for those SA rugby teams that have already announced them, I am struggling to recognise more than one or two names. We are in a whole new era!

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I must say last year a scratched my head at a few names in the Bulls squad but this year I am quite clueless. I do not recognise at least ten of the match day squad and more than half of the extended squad.

I managed to keep in touch for over 13 years since leaving SA but I guess at some point you'll lose touch a little bit.

Keen to see how the new coach goes. He seems to have a different mindset than your typical Afrikaner coach that the Bulls are so used to.

A whole new era indeed. Now let's see the thing get some air instead of the boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.