• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 S18 SA teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Liquidation pretty much means death, doesn't it?

R.I.P. Southern Kings

2013-2016
Not always. The main asset that EPRU probably have is their IP. Sell that to a new corporate entity and carry on as you were. Phoenix activity is not unknown in sport. I can think of two AFL clubs, and probably plenty of other examples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yes but wasn't the idea that SARU would run things while EPRU got its shit together & once they'd done so would re-assume control of the Kings with SARU keeping an eye on things to stop it all going pear-shaped again? No EPRU means either SARU have to manage the Kings forever or find someone dumb enough to take them off their hands.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The Franchise sits outside of these arrangements as it was fully taken over by SARU.
The EPRU does not seem to have protected itself like many RUs have, setting up separate professional companies for owning the Currie Cup club, so isdirectly in trouble with the liquidation.

SARU I think put in an administrator, different to taking legal and commercial responsibility.

The RU clubs would still survive, just unsupported by the RU. No doubt SARU will fill the gap and a new RU will be formed in time.

Its clumsy, but I dont think it ends the Franchise or players feeding through the lubs. Might be down one cc team next season though.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
SA need to filed a Super Rugby team next year, in order to meet it's contractual obligations (broadcast agreement). Might not be the Kings, ut I would have thought politically it would be wise to keep a team down in Port Elizabeth?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
SA need to filed a Super Rugby team next year, in order to meet it's contractual obligations (broadcast agreement). Might not be the Kings, ut I would have thought politically it would be wise to keep a team down in Port Elizabeth?

The Kings Super franchise is not effected. No change.
The EP Kings CC is.

Reactions: mst
Status
Not open for further replies.