• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Under-20 Rugby World Championships - Manchester UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Fox 2 & 3 from 12:00 am (midnight) Tuesday through to about 6:30 am Wednesday morning u20's rugby feast on both channels simultaneously. Make sure you have new batteries in the remote as you will be doing a lot of surfing.

Edited: midnight tonight Tuesday through to Wednesday 6:30
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Anybody know why Sione Tuipulotu's not in the 23? Surely he's injured?

Maybe others preferred to him. Centre is certainly one of our strengths with Jooste and Magnay starting and Jackson-Hope on the bench.

With the short turnarounds I would guess that they will all start at least one of the three games and sit out one each.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Surprised that Lukhan L-Tui is being rested for the opening match.

The Scots beat the Soap Dodgers and the Azzuri in the 6N this year, and we can't afford to take them lightly.

Would have thought he'd get at least 20 minutes off the bench to get ready for the Soap Dodgers and the knockout games.

Bonus points are critical in pool play at Jnr RWC and we need all hands on deck to achieve those pesky BP.

Be a shame if a big lad like him was in Team Rehab. He has been to U20 RWC before and his experience would be useful on the field/off the bench.

Houndi

Frank Nicholson (4)
Scotland have a very experienced side, with a bit of rain and thunder I reckon they'll win tonight.

Seymour Butz

Larry Dwyer (12)
Surprised that Lukhan L-Tui is being rested for the opening match.
[snip]
Be a shame if a big lad like him was in Team Rehab. He has been to U20 RWC before and his experience would be useful on the field/off the bench.
He could easily be injured. The team management seems to keep any talk of injuries very close to their chests.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hugh's Law has been pretty virulent this year, especially for the NSW lads but there's also a few talented Banjolanders still Down Under as well - Mafi, Perese, Alstonville's own Fittock, Illawarra's Hewet to name a few.

Having rolled The Darkness at Bond, and being in an "easy" pool (can you actually trust 6N form?), I had high hopes if we had all the first choice athletes fit and ready for action.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Think we'll almost want a dry track more than you.

We're not huge, we were never going to be, but the selection of Wynne, Galbraith and Graham in the starters over Miller, Taylor (both big lads) and the speedster Nairn suggests we'll rely on the ball skills rather than trying to hurt you with the forwards. The three fly half options all in the starting XV backs that up too.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Been a while since we've had some decent inter team banter on the Jnr RWC thread. In previous years it's mostly been all about the Jnr Wobs on here.

It is a pleasure to have you on here @Highlander. I enjoy reading your contributions. Keep them coming.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Helps that we're in the same pool. I'd be trying to not do it so much otherwise. Fundamentally it's an Aussie forum, anything else is an tolerated intrusion.

And ya boo, you boys suck, Hastings will show Mason how real Rugby is supposed to be played, Kinghorn will tear your backs apart, Ritchie will smash your bigger boys six ways from Sunday and Zander will murder your pitiful front row.

Dazzling

Frank Nicholson (4)
I agree, it will be close but sitting in sunny Manchester at the moment with a weather forecast for the AJ Bell of 22 degrees and sunny. Sounds like home! Heading off the watch France V Argentina in a few hours time, then Australia V Scotland. The last game at the AJ Bell is NZ V Georgia.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
That's a very strong looking Aus side. Really like the way both locks are going, and the whole backline is exciting. Will be especially interested in how the centre partnership works. Could be sensational, complemented by Maddocks at fullback.

It is a good team, but it is not necessarily their best side in a few spots.

But if it is their best 23…

I am surprised that Rodda is ahead of Lukhan T at TH lock, as Rodda looked underdone at Chatswood Oval, and Lukhan looked dominant. Whatever, it is the best crop of U20 locks I have seen for a while, yet McCauley is in his U19 year and Hocking his U18 year.

Watch young Harry if he fills out a bit; he could be something.

Am somewhat surprised that Fifita was chosen ahead of Sione at LHP when the latter scrummaged so well against the Kiwis at Bond.

Not surprised about the backrow and halves, who picked themselves, and 12 Jooste had to play somewhere - and it couldn't be 15 because Maddocks is one of the form players. Sione T was not stellar at Chatswood; so he misses out - though he was injured a while ago and may not have got back to form.

They won't be short of goal-kickers but Mason is quality.

Kennewell was a surprise: not because he's not a good player, but because he played only a few minutes in the first Chatswood game and DNP in the second one.

The bolter, looking at it from two weeks ago, is winger McNamara, who replaced Fittock. Coach Thompson has been impressed with him.

The spot could have gone to Ah Mu T. who had already replaced Perese in the squad - or they could have played Magnay there and used Sione T in the centres - but they picked the latest of late players instead.

Good luck to him - and all the lads.

PS - I wish they wouldn't put the clubs or states against the players' names; it's always been a bugbear of mine. Once they wear gold, who gives a flying you-know-what about where they come from or who they play for?

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Turned on Fox to see the scheduled U-20's. Nothing on but golf and mungo, despite the program. Anyone know what's happening?

Edit: Normal programming has resumed.

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)
Straya win a scrum penalty first up, 4 minutes gone

Magnay gets a yellow card for for reckless tackle, he tip tackled a player which to me seemed to land on his hip, but thems the breaks nowadays

Status
Not open for further replies.