• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Under-20 Rugby World Championships - Manchester UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Apparently Waratahs won 31-19. Must of been an eventful second half

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Well Reds said they would make the Reds vs Force U20's match available for streaming on their website, its 15min into the match and still no sight of the link... disappointing

Delphy

Ward Prentice (10)
Well Reds said they would make the Reds vs Force U20's match available for streaming on their website, its 15min into the match and still no sight of the link. disappointing

They just tweeted:

Queensland Reds@Reds_Rugby 37s37 seconds ago
We are currently having difficulties with the live stream of the Reds U20's. An update will be posted when fixed.

At least that means I can quit mashing refresh on the Reds homepage!

T

TOCC

Tui has knocked-on or dropped about 3 balls in the 10mins that I've watched..

Reds forwards dominating

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Photos from the Reds U20 v Force U20 here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/100900132@N02/albums/72157665316445392

Tries to: Asiata, Tupou (x2), Tui, Tualima & Hoopert, plus Ferris for the Force

25538901835_09a5cd7875_b_d.jpg

25538948165_7f71cd6836_b_d.jpg

25513106086_f6ac6b58d5_b_d.jpg

25513511476_5f40b708c3_b_d.jpg

FrontRowFan

Herbert Moran (7)
IMG_4476.JPG

Max Girdler (6) off on a rampaging run for NSW Gen Blue

IMG_4471.JPG

Theo Strang (9) offloading to Ryan McCauley (4)

IMG_4507.JPG

Nice lineout win by Cameron Holt (5) from a Suita Tai (2) throw for the Brumbies

IMG_4514.JPG

Vuni Fifita (1) crashes into his opposite number Faalelei Sione (1)

IMG_4522.JPG

Putting on the extra points for NSW Gen Blue

IMG_4547.JPG

Harrison Goddard (21) lining up to tackle Brumbies captain Jordan Jackson-Hope (12)

IMG_4569.JPG

Goddard fires one off the back of a maul to Latu Latunipulo (13)

IMG_4587.JPG

Clean lineout win to Ryan McCauley (4) off a throw from Ed Craig (16)

IMG_4594.JPG

Siaosi Halaifonua (8) and Tom Molloy (10) for NSW combine to bring the Brumbies runner down

IMG_4517.jpg

Gen Blue winger Latu Latunipulu (13) on his way to a try for the NSW Waratahs - too quick to catch

IMG_4620.JPG

Driving maul off a Waratahs Gen Blue lineout leading to a try for Ed Craig (16)

IMG_4671.JPG

Harrison Goddard (21) couldn't quite match the speed of Brumbies speedster fullback Harry Tyson (15) who scored a 75 metre try with 5 mins to go

IMG_4695.JPG

Brumbies hooker Samuel Samuelu (16) lines up his opposite number

IMG_4667.JPG

Another clean linout win to Siaosi Halaifonua (8) up the back

IMG_4697.JPG

Ned Yeomans (12) shoots a pass to his winger on a Gen Blue attacking run

thebreakdown

Ted Fahey (11)
Reds u20s were solid although it wasn't as clinical as last week. Few handling errors ruined continuity and may have got the score a lot higher, however there were stages when the force looked dangerous as they may have applied pressure to force errors. Once again Tupou was dominant going forward, no. 10 qld was instrumental with his tactical kicking game. Thought the Force showed some glimpses of forward momentum midway through the game however as the score got away they slowly fell away in numbers,as their defence line lacked aggression & numbers. 2nd half the reds picked up the tempo both in forwards & backs. Overall the reds took control and showed their speed out wide. Good to see the reds coach showing respect for his bench.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

I only caught the second half but agree with your comments on the Red v For U20s

I can't remember specify players, but the Reds back-row was impressive, making plenty of meters and turnovers... And the backs were solid, Cambell Magnay ran hard and got across the advantage line every time.

thebreakdown

Ted Fahey (11)
TOCC, Magnay was very solid mate, most of the backs ran well especially in the 2nd half, don't know no.23 is but he came forward with speed and gave his side momentum, great bench!

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
TOCC, Magnay was very solid mate, most of the backs ran well especially in the 2nd half, don't know no.23 is but he came forward with speed and gave his side momentum, great bench!

(23) Jayden Ngamanu, very talented little player with a big future plays fullback but apparently he played most of his junior rugby at flyhalf (10). BBC 1XV, Aus Schoolboys, Aus Youth Sevens and I've heard he play Aus touch too (Tri National).

FrontRowFan

Herbert Moran (7)
Here's a basic top-line summary of the match on Friday afternoon between the Brumbies and Waratah's Under 20s.

The first half was full of mistakes on both sides. Lots of dropped ball - spilling from the hands at impact during tackles and just basic fumbles or passes too long or behind the shoulder.

Although the senior Brumbies / Waratah's game later the same evening took 25 minutes for the first scrum to set, by comparison the 20s must have had 10 or 12 in the first 25 mins.

The Brumbies scrum was superior. Almost every scrum in the first half held for a few moments, and then the Brumbies pushed the Waratahs back one, two or three metres. They just couldn't hold them - would be interested to know the comparative pack weights.

There were a few penalties for scrum infringements against the Waratahs as well (wheeling the scrum by pulling back, popping up, etc).

Lineouts were improved on previous weeks, but still a bit of a lucky dip. Some were good, some were not so good, and the Brumbies pinched a few in the first half and disrupted the Waratah's delivery on others.

The game see-sawed from end to end through the first half, with neither team taking obvious ascendency.

The score at half time was 5-0 to the Waratahs.

In the second half, the back line movements started to flow better and the ball didn't go to ground so often. The NSW Gen Blue boys seemed to pick up the pace and make the more of the opportunities presented to them than the Brumbies, as the second half progressed. In the forwards, the scrum improved - even won a well contested tight head in the last 20 minutes and a few good driving mauls - with every lineout won cleanly.

With 32 minutes left in the second half it was Brumbies 5 - Waratahs 12.

10 minutes after half time a bunch of reserves came on for the Waratahs, and soon the same followed for the Brumbies. The depth of the NSW side showed through at this point.

18 minutes to full time it was Brumbies 7 - Waratahs 19

14 minutes to full time it was Brumbies 7 - Waratahs 26

The Waratahs were taking control of the match now, and it felt perhaps that the big boppers in the Brumbies forwards couldn't keep up the pace. The Waratah's reserves bench also seemed to add some spice around the park.

With 12 minutes to go it was Brumbies 7 - Waratahs 31, and the match was pretty well sewn up. But that's when the Gen Blue boys may have relaxed a little too much.

The Brumbies fullback Harry Tyson picked up a loose ball (or perhaps it was an intercept) and sprinted about 75 metres down the sideline, chased most of the way by Harrison Goddard who couldn't quite run him down (Goddard had a heavily strapped knee and was perhaps held back by this?).

With 8 minutes to go, the score was now Brumbies 12 - Waratahs 31, the ACT boys had their tails up.

With one minute to go the Brumbies 20s squeezed over in the corner, taking the final score to Brumbies 19 - Waratahs 31.

Too little too late, but a good effort in the dying minutes by the ACT side.

Status
Not open for further replies.