• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Schools Rowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hard 10

Allen Oxlade (6)

Some very good rowing from the MGS 1st VIII today at the Henley Royal Regatta. Some sound blade work and great catch speed!

On another note some very cheeky commentating from Sarah Cook (Joeys).

"Melbourne Grammar School won the NSW State Championships"
"Undisputed best crew in Australia"

Maybe this will blow some wind in the sails of the Shore crew for next season, that of which comfortably won the NSW State Championships. Did Sarah Cook make a simple mistake here? Did she run out of things to say? Or was this just pure jealousy?

I wonder what DJ will think of this.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Did anyone get around to watching Henley? In particular he Melbourne Grammar crew in the Princess Elizabeth Challenge cup (JM8+) and the SRC M8+ in the Thames Challenge cup.
Sydney just disqualified- initially for clash of oars and then changed to unsportsmanlike behaviour. Obvious bias against Aussie crew.

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
Sydney just disqualified- initially for clash of oars and then changed to unsportsmanlike behaviour. Obvious bias against Aussie crew.

If you watch the replay - after they were warned just prior to the DQ, Oslo actually turned into them to cause the blade clash, Should be appealed IMO

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
That is very astute of you! That did not cross my mind. I think we all know though that the SB8+ is the real deal.

Agree. I just can't imagine that a post-Olympic commentary/coaching career would be helped by a deliberately incendiary remark? It must have been a brain snap rather than a grenade.

IV The Win

Peter Burge (5)
Melbourne Grammar are looking especially dominant in their racing. I don't know exactly how much they have improved since the state championships, but it certainly appears as if the National championships could have gone a different way. They do look like they would have posed a serious threat to the Shore School, despite the RowingLord referring to the Shore crew as a Super VIII. Melbourne grammar was faster than Scotch, and factoring in fatigue from racing and flights, it could have been very close if Nationals was a week or two later

Hard 10

Allen Oxlade (6)
Melbourne Grammar are looking especially dominant in their racing. I don't know exactly how much they have improved since the state championships, but it certainly appears as if the National championships could have gone a different way. They do look like they would have posed a serious threat to the Shore School, despite the RowingLord referring to the Shore crew as a Super VIII. Melbourne grammar was faster than Scotch, and factoring in fatigue from racing and flights, it could have been very close if Nationals was a week or two later

I do agree that it was a outstanding MGS 1st VIII, however I doubt that there would have been any real change in the results. Traditionally speaking the crew that wins the first race of the season will go onto win the AAGPS HOTR. For example Shore 2014, Joeys 2015, Scots 2015 and Shore 1st & 2nd VIII 2016. Also with crews going to Henley, they rarely improve beyond their performances at the Nationals and HOTR due to the time frame of Henley post the Australian Rowing Season. Not only would the MGS 1st VIII have to train throughout the winter but the constant strain on the body due to the demands of rowing tend to result in fatigue and injuries. This is supported as the MGS 5 Seat at Henley was new due to the past 5 seat dropping out (Injury potentially).

Therefore I am taking you up on the fact that the MGS crew would have posed any threat to the Shore crew. They were the best crew I have personally seen in the last decade, and quite frankly regardless of all the perceived arrogance and misdemeanour, I believe they deserve credit for being the 'undisputed' Schoolboy Champions from Australia.

I sound like a Shore supporter now....

SIRCWATCH

Frank Nicholson (4)
Whilst my AAGPS affiliation lies with St Josephs, this commentating stunt arouse some questions - especially due to her role at St Josephs rowing. I have some suspicions over her commentating however I doubt it was in the spur of the moment. It is pure embarrassment from Sarah Cook. It is not the first time she has degraded Shore.

What are everyone else's thoughts on this act? Where is LBA (Munro) when you need her?

The major contributors to the forum seemed to have changed hands since the previous years forums. I am a former frequent contributor to last years forum, however have decided it would be best to start a fresh without the title my name once held, you can guess all you like to who i was however that will not be revealed. I don't want my name affecting peoples view point to my opinion hence the name change. Its good to be back for season 2017, reading over the last few pages, some heated discussions have taken place which is all good in light of the upcoming season however, lets not get carried away its all for the boys enjoyment and without the boys participation we have nothing to talk about. IM looking forward to talking to you all.

Cheers SW

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
The major contributors to the forum seemed to have changed hands since the previous years forums. I am a former frequent contributor to last years forum, however have decided it would be best to start a fresh without the title my name once held, you can guess all you like to who i was however that will not be revealed. I don't want my name affecting peoples view point to my opinion hence the name change. Its good to be back for season 2017, reading over the last few pages, some heated discussions have taken place which is all good in light of the upcoming season however, lets not get carried away its all for the boys enjoyment and without the boys participation we have nothing to talk about. IM looking forward to talking to you all.

Cheers SW

LBA's back

Leg Drive

Bob McCowan (2)
They were the best crew I have personally seen in the last decade

I sound like a Shore supporter now..

I'd say the best was 2006 TKS, stopping the clock at 5:40 at nationals. But certainly, in the last 10 years, no crew has been so dominant over the whole season as Shore 1st VIII was in 2016.

SIRCWATCH

Frank Nicholson (4)
LBA's back

As i said previously I'm not revealing anything. Perhaps i am or perhaps I'm not, just don't make assumptions please.

Anyway, i just wanted to congratulate JOEYS, RIVERVIEW and SHORE for Head of the river and a special mention to the Joeys crew for their 2nd place at nationals. What an excellent row to come away with the silver medal after losing to Shores 2nd VIII in the heat (which was a little scary to watch i might add). I look forward to the upcoming season with my predications of JOEYS SHORE and VIEW all in the mix for most crews and perhaps KINGS.

In the light of some of the comments made about SHORE in comparison to MELBOURNE GRAMMAR, i agree that Melbourne are looking very good and would have posed as a major threat to SHORES undefeated season, with the apparent illness that some have mentioned on the page. In saying this (and i would rather not) SHORE did beat them by a length at state in a very fast time and a wins a win, so nothing can be taken away from the SHORE crew although i would have loved to have seen someone get on top of them. My hope is the cerise and blue will have them this year but the boys enjoyment and participation must come first as always. I hope the boys training is all going well, not long now.:p

Cheers SW

Hard 10

Allen Oxlade (6)
I'd say the best was 2006 TKS, stopping the clock at 5:40 at nationals. But certainly no crew has ever been so dominant over the whole season as Shore 1st VIII was in 2016.

They were a marvellous crew weren't they. Slipped from my mind. In saying that their nationals time of 5:40 was assisted by a ferocious tail wind off the top of my memory. It was either at Lake Barrington, or SIRC before the trees hugely limited the wind.

Hard 10

Allen Oxlade (6)
King's 2001 won every start, including the open mens gold cup, and henley, and posted a HOTR record of 5:47

If you read my comment you may see that indeed I was referring to the best crews within the last decade (which is 10 years).

Status
Not open for further replies.