• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Schools Rowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
Incorrect.

I don't quite know why we are arguing the results of a regatta that occurred three years ago. But i am correct because they were classified as 1st and then later that Saturday they were disqualified and they damn well deserve to be disqualified because they didn't row in the heat and therefore didn't qualify for the final. And i believe if you check the results it shows Shore in 1st position.

SIRCWATCH

Frank Nicholson (4)
I have come on this thread to discuss the topic of schools rowing, as that is the name of the thread. Had it been a GPS thread then talking about non-GPS schools would be out of place. You have come on to a general schools rowing thread and are trying to hijack it to only talk about GPS. I would suggest you go and create a separate GPS Rowing thread. I will come and join that one two and be part of both, and you can just be part of one.

I don't believe that will be necessary slide rusher. The reason this forum has many post regarding the GPS crews is because they are the pinnacle crews when it comes to producing the fastest ad best athletes often making up many state and national representative teams as well as the tradition and the amount of times these crews have been racing together.

As for school girl rowing i would love to start up the topic of conversation however it appears not many people who post on this forum have much experience with it, which is fine but the odd post will be very welcome and i would love to contribute. But people who get ancy about only GPS crews being talked about should really just stop and think for a minute. The only reason this is the case because of the size and competition and tradition within the schools and many old boys, that I'm sure are on this page, love coming back and staying in with the loop so to speak as well as competitive mothers or relatives ;).

The AAGPS HEAD OF THE RIVER is the pinnacle event of the season and is what all GPS crews train for. The 119 years of tradition between the schools makes the competition between the GPS schools so great and that is why it is the hot topic of conversation. As for kinross supporters put an VIII together and have a hit out with the best of the best if your little sweethearts are so good.

Cheers SW

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
Well, I am not a Kinross supporter, but I think you will find that they did field an eight for the first time in the girls this year and came 2nd at the Schoolgirl Head of the River and 4th at the Nationals, and won the girls U17 eight at the Nationals. I think that was the 10th year of their program, and St Augs have been around for less time. A number of the GPS schools raced as fours when their programs first started - not all GPS schools started rowing 119 years ago. Each of the GPS schools took time to get up and running - we wern't around to view their initial development and criticise for not having an eight straight away. For many rowers in the world, the eight is not the pinnacle. Even the USA is not fielding the eight as their priority boat at the Olympics this year, and Canada are not fielding an eight at the Olympics - two usual eights pinnacle countries.
Bit strange the americans and canadians are not fielding eights. They are always near the front.
Aust mens eight no show is a major pity.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

SIRCWATCH

Frank Nicholson (4)
Well, I am not a Kinross supporter, but I think you will find that they did field an eight for the first time in the girls this year and came 2nd at the Schoolgirl Head of the River and 4th at the Nationals, and won the girls U17 eight at the Nationals. I think that was the 10th year of their program, and St Augs have been around for less time. A number of the GPS schools raced as fours when their programs first started - not all GPS schools started rowing 119 years ago. Each of the GPS schools took time to get up and running - we wern't around to view their initial development and criticise for not having an eight straight away. For many rowers in the world, the eight is not the pinnacle. Even the USA is not fielding the eight as their priority boat at the Olympics this year, and Canada are not fielding an eight at the Olympics - two usual eights pinnacle countries.

Im not saying anything to do with the USA or Canada. Im talking about Australian Schoolboy rowing. And you don't see all the fuss for the fours at nationals or at AAGPS Head Of The River the pinnacle is the VIII. Im well aware of the fact that all the GPS schools weren't rowing 119 years ago that number is in reference to the amount of HOTR that have occurred. Yes i agree everyone has to start from somewhere and the Kinross boat shed does produce some good talent, but I'm not sure if the funding or resources is their to match with the big guns in the VIIIS i.e Joeys, Shore Melbourne crews. Im just saying that the VIIIS are the biggest competition in schoolboys rowing that all the big schools aim for the win whether it be at HOTR or nationals e.g Scotch, Joeys, Shore, Melbourne Grammar and Nudgee. So by comparing some of the talent compared to these major schools isn't really justified because like its said many times on this forum those are the other schools 17-20th best rowers.

However Kinross girls program is very good and on the rise and I'm looking forward to watching some of their racing this season. Im tipping Queenwood to be up there this year along with Kinross and PLC however I'm not to closely associated with any of the schools so its a wild swing.

Cheers SW

Hard 10

Allen Oxlade (6)
I'm one of the old lags on G&GR (about 10th, without checking) and here I'm going to pull rank. EVERYONE who wishes to positively contribute to discussions on this site's welcome. In this instance the thread should've been named "Schools Rowing 2015", or even "Junior Rowing 2015", and I think it's been agreed a different name's going to be used next year. If it isn't I'll make sure it is. The fact it's been called "GPS Rowing 2015" is somewhat of a shame as it's blatantly sexist while it ignores girls rowing in Sydney as well as non-GPS boys schools who row. This junior elitism in sport's a brake on our participation and performances at senior levels in sports like rowing and rugby; people like us really should make our voices heard to change this detrimental situation. Now before I get howled down by GPS rowing parents/supporters here I'm going to declare I'm an Old Boy of a GPS school (not hard to find out, check my posts) and a former parent. On top of that my sister, and many of my cousins, attended one of the girls schools we're rabbitting on about ATM. For the sake of peace, sanity, equity and commonsense can we agree to discuss non-GPS rowing matters in this thread for the next coupla months until the rowing season's over? New, wider inclusive title next year.

bts, thanks for those few lines, I thought I'd seen both KRB and Kambala in rowing results somewhere. I also recall some obscure schools (eg, Marist North Shore) appearing in the schoolboys' sculling results, others in the schoolgirls'; one can only presume it's a student who rows out of a club shed.

Years ago my son was playing cricket for his junior school against another, the scorer for other boys school was also a Wenona parent. She told me about Wenona's rowing experience when I mentioned my admiration for Sydney girls schools who row without sheds. She added the girls loved it, but the problems finding a suitable shed proved to be too difficult for some of the school's hierarchy and Wenona no longer row. A shame. - Lindommer 2016

Hard 10

Allen Oxlade (6)
I'm one of the old lags on G&GR (about 10th, without checking) and here I'm going to pull rank. EVERYONE who wishes to positively contribute to discussions on this site's welcome. In this instance the thread should've been named "Schools Rowing 2015", or even "Junior Rowing 2015", and I think it's been agreed a different name's going to be used next year. If it isn't I'll make sure it is. The fact it's been called "GPS Rowing 2015" is somewhat of a shame as it's blatantly sexist while it ignores girls rowing in Sydney as well as non-GPS boys schools who row. This junior elitism in sport's a brake on our participation and performances at senior levels in sports like rowing and rugby; people like us really should make our voices heard to change this detrimental situation. Now before I get howled down by GPS rowing parents/supporters here I'm going to declare I'm an Old Boy of a GPS school (not hard to find out, check my posts) and a former parent. On top of that my sister, and many of my cousins, attended one of the girls schools we're rabbitting on about ATM. For the sake of peace, sanity, equity and commonsense can we agree to discuss non-GPS rowing matters in this thread for the next coupla months until the rowing season's over? New, wider inclusive title next year.

bts, thanks for those few lines, I thought I'd seen both KRB and Kambala in rowing results somewhere. I also recall some obscure schools (eg, Marist North Shore) appearing in the schoolboys' sculling results, others in the schoolgirls'; one can only presume it's a student who rows out of a club shed.

Years ago my son was playing cricket for his junior school against another, the scorer for other boys school was also a Wenona parent. She told me about Wenona's rowing experience when I mentioned my admiration for Sydney girls schools who row without sheds. She added the girls loved it, but the problems finding a suitable shed proved to be too difficult for some of the school's hierarchy and Wenona no longer row. A shame. - Lindommer 2016

1) Stating that the forum being called "GPS Rowing 2015" is sexist is downright absurd. Are the AAGPS schools co-ed? Nope. Didn't think so. It is in no way what so ever sexist having a forum called 'GPS rowing'. The specificity of the title itself is clearly indicative that the forum evolves around GPS rowing (as indicated by its name). It is merely the same principle as having a 'AAGPS Rugby forum' - In what way is that sexist? Is it not the same principle. The name is not derogatory indeed the name is instead specifying the central element on which the forum tends to discuss. Thus, clearly, having a name as 'GPS Rowing' is not at all sexist. I disagree with this point you raised some time ago.

2) There is no elitism at all. Your point is ... again ... largely invalid and ignorant. Clearly the old forum was created to allow engagement between the spectators of AAGPS schoolboy rowing. Just because a forum holds that as its paramount theme does not mean it is demeaning and degrading to outside rowing. It is merely the fact that GPS rowing is the main thing talked about.

3) I would like to say that I am open to the current name, however I do not believe a name insinutating elitism and the degradation of the female gender.

Your point is like saying that Riverview is an elitist name:
Your justification: Its proving they're more wealthy because they have a view of the river.

Complete and utter trash.

4) In light of this however I do appreciate that fact that the forum being more open and I am happy with the current name as it will generate more lively discussion and it holds a more encompassing scope.

Note: This was not intended in a confronting manner. Rather just correcting a wrong and expressing my view - is this not what a forum is for?

SIRCWATCH

Frank Nicholson (4)
Hoping to see another school get 'spanked' is a bit dissapointing. Only miserable people take joy in seeing other people fail. This is a school rowing site, and you shouldn't be hoping to see school kids fail. Shameful comments.

I'm sorry if it came across that way. I was implying with the term spanking that the best of the GPS rowers could show Kinross or whoever wants to challenge them whose best. It's not failing if you lose I'm not sure where that came from. I minor misunderstanding, I completely agree seeing people fail due to uncontrollable aspects is heartbreaking but being beaten fair and square well I'm sorry but there's nothing wrong with that there has to be a last place in everything not everyone can win.

Hard 10

Allen Oxlade (6)
I'm sorry if it came across that way. I was implying with the term spanking that the best of the GPS rowers could show Kinross or whoever wants to challenge them whose best. It's not failing if you lose I'm not sure where that came from. I minor misunderstanding, I completely agree seeing people fail due to uncontrollable aspects is heartbreaking but being beaten fair and square well I'm sorry but there's nothing wrong with that there has to be a last place in everything not everyone can win.

The point that I believe everyone is trying to make is that its not within the Ethics of the AAGPS and rowing in general for a crew that is obviously of a higher standard (commonly those with depth issues i.e. St Augustines and sometimes those that do not i.e. Kinross Wolaroi) to compete in a lower division. It is absurd, unfair and downright disgusting.

Just my take on it.

SIRCWATCH

Frank Nicholson (4)
I think AAGPS also have codes around sporting scholarships etc and many of the GPS schools are blatant offenders. A pot calling the kettle black if you want to start quoting ethical standards with respect to GPS sport. You cant have it both ways. One could say rowing is not affected by scholarships etc, but their programs are guilty by association. I think you would be dissapointed to find that when Kinross started entering eights a few years ago in the 1st VIII division, the other GPS schools made their life difficult with respect to allowing entries etc. Make sure you get the background facts straight before venting your disgust. It is a shame that this site is an anti non-GPS school blog when it is titled 'Schools Rowing'. That is what is disgusting.

You make a good point about scholarships however hats in rugby and this is a rowing forum believe it or not. Or are you implying some schools import? This is new to me can you please enlighten the forum with this inside information?

Hard 10

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think AAGPS also have codes around sporting scholarships etc and many of the GPS schools are blatant offenders. A pot calling the kettle black if you want to start quoting ethical standards with respect to GPS sport. You cant have it both ways. One could say rowing is not affected by scholarships etc, but their programs are guilty by association. I think you would be dissapointed to find that when Kinross started entering eights a few years ago in the 1st VIII division, the other GPS schools made their life difficult with respect to allowing entries etc. Make sure you get the background facts straight before venting your disgust. It is a shame that this site is an anti non-GPS school blog when it is titled 'Schools Rowing'. That is what is disgusting.

GPS events are made for GPS crews.
GPS schools are respecting others allowing them to enter 'their' races.
Thus the other schools should show the tiniest bit of courtesy by actually entering a crew that fits the standard of the race.
Why is it that Kinross only enter IV's. Oh, is it because they would get smoked in the 1st and 2nd VIII races? Well from my point of view: Tough luck, you ask to race with the GPS you should at least be able to take a loss instead of disrespecting your opponents by dropping the best rowers to the 1st IV race where they rate low 30's and put on a 'rather demeaning' show. There is 8 lanes at SIRC and there is absolutely no shortage of lanes or events for the other schools to enter - if there was they wouldn't be entering in the fours.

Sorry what was that point you were trying to make.

L.Hudsen

Frank Nicholson (4)
I think AAGPS also have codes around sporting scholarships etc and many of the GPS schools are blatant offenders. A pot calling the kettle black if you want to start quoting ethical standards with respect to GPS sport. You cant have it both ways. One could say rowing is not affected by scholarships etc, but their programs are guilty by association. I think you would be disappointed to find that when Kinross started entering eights a few years ago in the 1st VIII division, the other GPS schools made their life difficult with respect to allowing entries etc. Make sure you get the background facts straight before venting your disgust. It is a shame that this site is an anti non-GPS school blog when it is titled 'Schools Rowing'. That is what is disgusting.

Then take a bex. There is a very positive culture amongst GPS rowing seen week in week out with each school helping the others to race. Just a few examples involve Shore lending kings an entire 8 to race in after one of their Jnr 8's forgot to pack riggers. Moreover in senior racing after Shore snapped an oar at the only head and chicken regatta last year Newington graciously offered them an oar so they did not have to forfeit. This is indicative of a culture that promotes competition in a fair and positive manner. Additionally could you explain why GPS rowing programs are guilty by association.

Hard 10

Allen Oxlade (6)
Then take a bex. There is a very positive culture amongst GPS rowing seen week in week out with each school helping the others to race. Just a few examples involve Shore lending kings an entire 8 to race in after one of their Jnr 8's forgot to pack riggers. Moreover in senior racing after Shore snapped an oar at the only head and chicken regatta last year Newington graciously offered them an oar so they did not have to forfeit. This is indicative of a culture that promotes competition in a fair and positive manner. Additionally could you explain why GPS rowing programs are guilty by association.

Here here.

Geoff Geoff

Frank Nicholson (4)
Two misguided people does not form a consensus. There is a large difference between stacking crews by stealth and directly entering crews in certain events.

Look I think you need to take a back step from defending your record at Kinross and read what was written. Oops that's right you're not a Kinross supporter "the lady doth protest too much"

Seriously though... The Kinross women's coaches won awards for a reason, they did a great job.

I AGREE with you that stacking and entering crews a division down may be both in fact very different things in intent.
I understand the matching crews argument as to why you may enter crews in lower divisions see TAS example.

However

My point around consensus, was that there are some wise heads here, coaches rowers etc who agree that both have similar negative consequences for fairness, development etc. especially when those who row down a division then dominate.

You don't do yourself any favours by calling others misguided. Sure say you don't agree but maybe before you type next time have a bex and a lie down.

Hard 10

Allen Oxlade (6)
Rowing
Look I think you need to take a back step from defending your record at Kinross and read what was written. Oops that's right you're not a Kinross supporter "the lady doth protest too much"

Seriously though. The Kinross women's coaches won awards for a reason, they did a great job.

I AGREE with you that stacking and entering crews a division down may be both in fact very different things in intent.
I understand the matching crews argument as to why you may enter crews in lower divisions see TAS example.

However

My point around consensus, was that there are some wise heads here, coaches rowers etc who agree that both have similar negative consequences for fairness, development etc. especially when those who row down a division then dominate.

You don't do yourself any favours by calling others misguided. Sure say you don't agree but maybe before you type next time have a bex and a lie down.

I am very intrigued to identify various grammatical and spelling errors that are so coincidently similar to that of the fallen "RowingLord". It seems a real coincidence that RowingLord disappears a few days ago and now this new account with a remarkably symmetrical name i.e. "Geoff Geoff". I would like to hear about your rowing background if that would be ok. After all we have all revealed our and established our legitimacy. Who's not to say that you are just here to mock our lively discussion.

Geoff Geoff

Frank Nicholson (4)
Hey hard 10

was around before the rowing lord. Have had 2 coaches with the name Geoff one of those was the year before you at school.

Status
Not open for further replies.