• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 TV ratings and crowd figures

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Because the bloody rules of the game are in need of a total revamp, that's why.

At its best, the game can be worth watching. Anything less than that and it can be really really boring. And of course most of the games we see are not at the level of "best".

Another factor is whether you care about the result. I would wager that most of us would care more about club rugby results than we would about the Soup.

That is because club rugby has stories, traditions, age old rivalries, etc etc.

Soup is an artificial competition composed of mostly artificial teams with very little in the way of tradition or history.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I am confused, on many fronts. HL you described why you only watched the BIL game but I'd be flabbergasted if that explanation applied to a very big number of the 30k who watched that game but not the Super Rugby game.

TOCC apparently turned off the Super Rugby to watch the BIL, but they were consecutive games on my Fox coverage, not contemporaneous.

RH watched the game for its quality. I defy anyone to say that the BILs played with any more quality than we saw from the Aus Super Rugby teams on the weekend, especially the Force and Brumbies. I am anticipating that when the full ABs side gets going, the BIL will look just like an Aus Super Rugby side up against them.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
There's 10 million households in Australia. When the ratings are getting down to 40k v 70k, that's well within any margin of error.

It effectively means something like 6 people watched one show and 11 another - maybe there's just a couple more expat Brits on the panel at the moment than Tahs or Brumbie fans?

T

TOCC

Because the bloody rules of the game are in need of a total revamp, that's why.

nope... there is ample evidence internationally where he game is growing in participation and popularity which suggests that the rules aren't the issue. In Australian the amateur arm of the game isn't the issue either, club rugby and schoolboys rugby are highly entertaining, their biggest threat is from cashed up rival codes.

Its the governance and structure of everything above the grassroots which is the issue.

T

TOCC

TOCC apparently turned off the Super Rugby to watch the BIL, but they were consecutive games on my Fox coverage, not contemporaneous.

No, i watched the BIL and turned the tv off when the Super Rugby came on, if the BIL wasn't on, i probably wouldn't have watched any rugby union this weekend.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The same old argument. The game is popular in countries that do not have our majority winter codes, both of which make up their own rules, both of which are simple to watch and enjoy (a matter of taste, of course, but that is the universal preference here apparently), they are both "faster" and "more open" (in parentheses because rugby people might demur, but rugby people are in the tiny minority here) -- therefore the rules are not the big problem.

I say rubbish. Or perhaps the fact is that their rules are the problem, if you want to put it that way. Either way, they keep winning, we are on the downward spiral.

Anybody who honestly believes that in Australia the rules of rugby are not the problem is just kidding themselves.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
^^^
Rules of rugby are part of the problem.

When you are on the ropes like we are then the rules don't lend themselves to dragging new eyes in.

IMO you totally overlook the effect of both good to excellent as opposed to bad to hopeless management.

The working example before our eyes is soccer. From a laughed at scorned and generally a nitch sport played by the wog boys and girls. Whereas today soccer finds itself only held back by revenue.

Given my wifes keen [very keen] interest in soccer and two of my sons, I have started to fully appreciate how vastly superior there systems and structures are. Even to the point of taking much less revenue to be on FTA TV and have the right arrangement in place.

The only difference between soccer today and pre A-League is the management team and the structures that team created.

Wam we have had IMO close to 60 years of poor to bad to hopeless management. Rugby's administrators and ""I use the word carefully""' by and large have failed the game.

Its time to storm the castle, and have a total clean out.

The damage being done to rugby right now with future sponsors, media partners, journalist, the man in the street is !@!@!@!^&$# . Yet the same management team that created this is still in charge.

So while I agree with you the rules don't help. Lacking a visionary leader to guide and set the conversation is obvious to me.

Finally having the suits from a US media corporation, who's owner would not know the difference between a tight head prop and a break away, set up the competition and I assume advise of the playing schedule is beyond foolish I don't know if there is a word to describe it.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Don't agree fully with the post Half but the sentiment totally. The rules in the amateur days and early Pro days were less conducive to the myth that "running" rugby is than they are today. Remember for instance that kicking the ball dead in goal back then resulted in a 22 drop out.
No the laws of the game did not restrict the game in what was its hey day of support at elite level. It should be the better now with multiple rule changes to stop the ball getting tied up in unplayable rucks, prevent cynical killing of the ball on defence, introduction of the sin bin, various rules about kicking the ball out on the full like not passing back into the 22, the above mentioned dead ball rule and so on. The fact is that continued under performance of our sides, a perceived elitism even from other Rugby players/clubs, and the other myriad of reasons previously discussed contribute far more to the demise of the game here than the "rules" do.

T

TOCC

Anybody who honestly believes that in Australia the rules of rugby are not the problem is just kidding themselves.

Rules are a small part of a bigger problem, ARU is a large part of a bigger problem, all the state provinces are also part of the bigger problem. There are plenty of problems with Australian Rugby, but anyone who blames the rules as been the problem whilst ignore the ARU is kidding themselves.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The same old argument. The game is popular in countries that do not have our majority winter codes, both of which make up their own rules, both of which are simple to watch

And there in could lie the problem wamberal, perhaps the real answer is that Aussie people are not smart enough to have rugby:D:p, but you shouldn't dumb down a game to bring in new people and lose the people that are already watching it!!

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Socceroo world cup qualifier against Saudi Arabia
262k Go!
172k Fox

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

That's interesting little pre media and promotion and playing against a middle eastern side where there is little tradition .

We play Fiji slightly less media but a traditional foe. Will be interesting to compare.

Also the NRL and AFL put replays of their grand finals on the same night starting at the same time as the WCQ.

Not sure what it all means.

But on the night the combined rating of Fox and FTA.

AFL 650K
NRL 645 K
WCQ 441K

Master Chef pre matches 831K
Master Chef during matches 562K

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
That's interesting little pre media and promotion and playing against a middle eastern side where there is little tradition .

We play Fiji slightly less media but a traditional foe. Will be interesting to compare.

Also the NRL and AFL put replays of their grand finals on the same night starting at the same time as the WCQ.

Not sure what it all means.

But on the night the combined rating of Fox and FTA.

AFL 650K
NRL 645 K
WCQ 441K

Master Chef pre matches 831K
Master Chef during matches 562K
Rugby won't be as good as that for 3pm on a Saturday.

Still, think the FFA would be pretty disappointed with a crucial qualifier on a primetime weekday

It's still really hard to get decent ratings on the multi-channels

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Rugby won't be as good as that for 3pm on a Saturday.

Still, think the FFA would be pretty disappointed with a crucial qualifier on a primetime weekday

It's still really hard to get decent ratings on the multi-channels

Don't know but what screamed at me was this.

From around 7:30 to say 10:00 on Thursday

10 MasterChef 562K
AFL on 7 /mate 464k
NRL on 9/gem 410K
ABC shows 441K
Add the WCQ 262K

Thats, 2,139K like wow if we add all the other little things at the same time say around 2.5 million out of a population of 25 million.

SCREAMING to me FTA is in rapid decline. Only their news shows have decent ratings.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
So, if FTA is in decline (and that has been conventional wisdom for a fair while), where does that leave us?

In the hands of Fox Sports for the forseeable future.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The same old argument.

We're all still waiting for you to provide sufficient evidence to back up this mantra, or even make an attempt to address the numerous posts that rubbish your claim............

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
We're all still waiting for you to provide sufficient evidence to back up this mantra, or even make an attempt to address the numerous posts that rubbish your claim....

Amusing. I prefer to look at the facts. The facts are that the game is in decline. The. Game.

The game is governed by rules. Talk to your workmates, neighbours, and friends (if you have any). Ask them why they do not watch the game.

Posters here watch the game. My "mantra" is to do with the vast majority who do not watch the game, because it is too complex, too slow, too hard to understand. Their words, not mine.

Continue to believe what you want to believe. Can we meet again in, say, five years and see how things are going? Until then, good luck in your rose garden.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah, for some reason I visualised Dennis Hopper's character from Apocalypse Now as I read that..........

Do you actually have a coherent argument to argue that claim?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
13,583 for the test match

By any standard, that's an awful number.

You trash your brand, you look leaderless and incompetent, soon or later you'll bleed.

Wallaby gate net $ income in 2017 will be an 'interesting' KPI. Having two BC Tests here may help, but the portents are poor.

Wallaby gate income being central to the ARU's profitability and cash flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.