• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 TV ratings and crowd figures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Test against Fiji didn't make the top twenty programs yesterday so no rating details yet. Hopefully we will get something eventually.

Will be less than 228k

Not entirely unexpected as Sat arvo matches are usually ratings shockers. The tradeoff is you normally get a better crowd

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Amusing. I prefer to look at the facts. The facts are that the game is in decline. The. Game.

The game is fine. There is overwhelming evidence in the Northern hemisphere to support that and in Southern hemisphere places like NZ. Unless you can show a clear intellectual or significant cultural difference that is causing the different interpretations about the game in particular countries i would suggest your argument is floored.

The game is governed by rules. Talk to your workmates, neighbours, and friends (if you have any). Ask them why they do not watch the game.

Ask any one who doesn't watch or have an interest in something the will have a reason. You need to remember that famous quote about why people watch "rugby" - ".....äsk a union follower why they don't like league and you will most likely get the same reasons as why league follower doesn't like union ....." (Captain Obvious - circa beginning of time). You will even find some people who don't watch will answer they have no interest in any sport. How do the rules then influence the attitudes of those people who have no interest in sport?

Posters here watch the game. My "mantra" is to do with the vast majority who do not watch the game, because it is too complex, too slow, too hard to understand. Their words, not mine.

Can you explain how the vast majority of people who don't watch the games can make an informed comment of provide us with an answer of any value?

(I can tell you that Masterchef is manufacture stage crap with pre-prepared food and the participants all all there for the drama element - without ever watching an episode. So there may expert view!) Expect the rating to crash?)

I would also be curious to know if when you asked people for a reason if you considered that their response is one of convenience purely to furnish you with a polite non-offensive answer rather than the truth that is they genuinely don't have an interest?

Continue to believe what you want to believe. Can we meet again in, say, five years and see how things are going? Until then, good luck in your rose garden.

So how about you explain to us what rules you think are the issue. Can you then explain how you will convince the all those supporter around the world who have no issue with the rules why you are changing them to suit a select group of people or demographic?

I am more concerned about the amount of supporters who do understand the rules, do like the game but don't watch it due to many other elements.

No intelligent idea can gain general acceptance unless some stupidity is mixed in with it. – Fernando Pessoa

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Can someone explain the point Wamb is trying to make?

The game is growing on a global scale. But the game is also in decline in Australia. Wamb anecdotally believes that this is because the game is too complicated for the average Australian to understand.

And hence the dominant root of the problem is that World Rugby/IRB hasn't changed the laws and not two decades of incompetent management, despite the Laws not being a significant factor in the growth of the game in other areas?

Because "Rugby is more complicated for the average consumer than the other major winter sports in Australia" is a good point, but the more and more he expands upon the point, the less and less sense and logic seems to be demonstrated.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wambers also blatantly ignores the periods when rugby was thriving in Australia...........

Were the laws back then so different that they promoted more attacking rugby?

No.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Wambers also blatantly ignores the periods when rugby was thriving in Australia.....

Were the laws back then so different that they promoted more attacking rugby?

No.

Equally he's never once dealt with the factual truth that in the U.K. soccer totally dominates the sporting universe there, is 'simple to understand' (a la league and AFL using his arguments), it's been that way for a long time, and yet rugby in England is thriving and exceptionally healthy in all aspects from financial to participation etc etc.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
And correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall the Reds playing under different laws in Brisbane when they started attracting bigger crowds than the Broncos?

100% correct. I have previously advanced this very point to Wamberal - and similarly re the Waratahs in 2014 - and received zero reply in refutation or counter-argument.

L

Leo86

Is 10HD (channel 13) incorporated in those stats?

Also arvo game makes me wonder people just couldnt watch it either. Club games, kids sports, etc

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Is 10HD (channel 13) incorporated in those stats?

Also arvo game makes me wonder people just couldnt watch it either. Club games, kids sports, etc
The survey is audio based so yep - doesn't matter which version is watched it all roles up under one number.

Just for comparison. The third test against France a couple of years ago did 245k

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
100% correct. I have previously advanced this very point to Wamberal - and similarly re the Waratahs in 2014 - and received zero reply in refutation or counter-argument.

Sorry mate, I do not spend a lot of time here.

Again, for the nth time, I am telling you all what I keep hearing from friends, neighbours, and other random people that I bump into here and there.

What happened in the past, what happens in other countries, or alternative universes, I am not interested in. I am simply talking about the game here in Australia, and reporting what I think is the general attitude towards it. Now. Today.

The really sad thing is that we are dropping support amongst the rugby community, as you all acknowledge. That is implicit in what you say about the crowds from the recent past.

We all thought that there would be a big blip after the Wallabies did so well in the last RWC, and after our women won gold in Rio. Nup.

Blaming it all on the ARU and their management is just deluded. Our opposition (NRL, AFL) have gone through arguably worse times, drugs, SuperLeague wars, domestic violence, racial abuse, etc etc.

Their support has held up relatively better. And of course, far better in comparative terms. They are rich, they can prepare for the future in terms of media and other infrastructure. We are poor, and at the mercy of pay tv and under siege from the rich unions in Europe who will continue to pillage our playing stocks.

For us to survive we have to start attracting people who do not like our game right now. I have simply been positing the reason for that, based on what non-supporters say to me. It all comes down to the bloody rules.

That is all I will ever say on this topic. You can all live in dreamworld, I wish you all the best of luck.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
02b85619a6fd8b9e78b84845108ee71d.gif

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Finally.

You want us to stop playing Rugby.

You instead want a game that looks and plays like Rugby, but whatever Australian sporting body is in charge controls the global laws, the global player flow and the global structure of the game a la the NRL, the AFL, and to a lesser extent (sharing with England and India) Cricket.

Thanks Wamb. All your posts make much more sense within that context.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Rugby can be complicated for those who are not regular followers. The reason this impacts crowds is that people are willing to not understand everything if they win.

Using the Reds winning team a few years ago as an example. The rucks may not make sense but watching an inform Quade Cooper hitting a triple cut out pass to Digby on the wing to set up tries will always attract a crowd.

The excuse of being hard to understand only comes up when the teams are losing

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Channel 9 NEWS tonight gave the Wallabies game 2 minutes in the bulletin, the whole focus was how poor the crowd in Melbourne was. Gotta love 9

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
Channel 9 NEWS tonight gave the Wallabies game 2 minutes in the bulletin, the whole focus was how poor the crowd in Melbourne was. Gotta love 9

Their sheer, unending support for league is frustrating when they always attempt to erode the positive aspects that come out of rugby.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Blaming it all on the ARU and their management is just deluded. Our opposition (NRL, AFL) have gone through arguably worse times, drugs, SuperLeague wars, domestic violence, racial abuse, etc etc.

In league's case those things seem to increase the fan base.
I think the crowd at Loftus v France is about 2/3 of that was predicted - there may be wider issues in the game.
The lions playing style won't be converting any non-believers.

D

daz

13,583 for the test match

Saturday arvo of a long weekend.
Start of snow season.
And more importantly, not a shred of advertising or promotion of the game in town at all. If it wasn't for my GAGR and Rebels connections, I probably would have not known the fucking game was on. Shithouse by the ARU.

And lots of rugby people in Melbourne are frankly pissed at the ARU and refuse to support them at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.