• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 TV ratings and crowd figures

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Leo86

So people stop watching rugby because the Force might be cut? Okay. That speaks volumes for their love of the game. Sorry to say.

Its at 1pm over here.

Some like me had to work, others involved in their club rugby (or their kid's sports etc) and the Mauritius 10s were on which the Force a reigning Champs.

But obviously its the lack of love

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
We have the breakdown for
RUGBY: 2017 WALLABIES V SCOTLAND TEST POST-MATCH LIVE
5 City Metro

291k total,
140k Sydney, 38k Melbourne, 88k Brisbane, 16k Adelaide, 8k Perth

2014 Afternoon match against France did - Fox 172k & Ten 245k so a nice improvement on that

flat_eric

Alfred Walker (16)
So what did everyone think of the traditional 3pm kick off time slot? Personally I loved it. However, I fear because they didn't rate well or get enough bums on seats, the ARU will use that as the excuse (overlooking deep seeded problems within the game) to dump the experiment next year. That would be a shame from my perspective.

L

Leo86

Personally, i wasnt a fan. Of my own selfish reasons, i had to work when the scottish test was on (yes i taped it).

I feel alot of people have commitments at that time, be there own sport, kids sport, work, etc.

Not to say it has to be a an 8pm game either

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So what did everyone think of the traditional 3pm kick off time slot? Personally I loved it. However, I fear because they didn't rate well or get enough bums on seats, the ARU will use that as the excuse (overlooking deep seeded problems within the game) to dump the experiment next year. That would be a shame from my perspective.
They've done it three times now. I think we might revert to evening games next year as Ireland should be a higher drawing series but I think we'll continue to see it a reasonable amount for the June/July series.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I've always liked the twilight/dusk timeslot, game kicks off 4:30-5:30pm and done around 6:30-7:30pm. Plenty of time for a drink and dinner afterwards. But that's because I get up early in the mornings and hate the whole idea that Origin has of a kick off at 8:30 - 9!!!

D

daz

Pretty dismal for elite rugby.

Elite? You obviously didn't watch the game.

I'm thinking of a different descriptive term, like "shithouse", or "fumbling", or "frustrating".

In that case, the crowd was about right.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Reds v Brumbies - 54k
Force v Rebels - 27k

13264 at Suncorp Stadium

Yes, that was quoted as 'official' but the QRU's latest Reds crowd figures have much in common with the 1960s' Soviet Union GNP and worker productivity numbers. They mapped hope and need, but rarely fact.

I'll bet the true number was < 10,000 if the pitch's blades of grass count was not included.

And one more thing as to where we are today in QLD rugby and perhaps more generally Australian rugby:

The QRU's nadir year was 2009. That year they sank into de facto insolvency.

In that year's 3rd last Reds S14 game v the Brumbies at Suncorp the crowd was over 19,000.

In the Reds' very last S14 game - which was as well their last home game in 2009 - the crowd was also over 19,000.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Yes, that was quoted as 'official' but the QRU's latest Reds crowd figures have much in common with the 1960s' Soviet Union GNP and worker productivity numbers. They mapped hope and need, but rarely fact.

Cheeky ;)

I'll bet the true number was < 10,000 if the pitch's blades of grass count was not included.

Don't forget the players, ground staff, coaches, security, the dog, team staff, everyone on Caxton St, everyone who drove by on Milton Rd and everyone who passed by on the train.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

And one more thing as to where we are today in QLD rugby and perhaps more generally Australian rugby:

The QRU's nadir year was 2009. That year they sank into de facto insolvency.

In that year's 3rd last Reds S14 game v the Brumbies at Suncorp the crowd was over 19,000.

In the Reds' very last S14 game - which was as well their last home game in 2009 - the crowd was also over 19,000.

19,000 reported though. Was it the real one? I'd suggest not.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
19,000 reported though. Was it the real one? I'd suggest not.

So you conclude Reg that the QRU has been knowingly inflating Reds home crowd figures every year 'things go bad'?

If so, the overall point is doubly concerning.

(Btw, my source for the 2009 Reds crowd numbers was the SANZAR official Wikipedia page re all 2009 S14 results which includes crowd data for each game.)

Status
Not open for further replies.