• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 TV ratings and crowd figures

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Just a pass, mate. Once upon a time we thought that all our games should draw 100k, except for the ones in the dead of night.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Just a pass, mate. Once upon a time we thought that all our games should draw 100k, except for the ones in the dead of night.

Is that because half of those viewers have died or got too old to care?

I know FTA TV is not the be all but surely it must have an effect over time if young families and thus young kids don't grow up watching rugby with their parents at home eating a pie on a cold winter weekend.

A slow eroding of the base of interested viewers has finally reached a tipping point?
Of course combined with the ineptitude of the ARU in other areas.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
If it was a Tahs or Refs game sure, that'd be a disappointing number.

I don't think a brumbies QF v a foreign team has ever rated particularly well.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I know the format states the Brumbies got the home ground, but it should have been in New Zealand IMO, bigger crowd and acknowledge the team who finished higher on the ladder

TOCC, how can you assume it would be a bigger crowd in NZ? Their crowds during the Super Rugby season were pretty woeful, and almost nobody turned up to the Saders v Clan Quarter Final today. I know the weather was atrocious, but the cold at Canberra Stadium when the overnight temp is headed to -7 is just as harsh.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
The crowd at Joburg isn't looking too good either...

Ellis Park is what, 63,000 capacity?

There's probably the combined crowd of the other two games in the stands, it just looks bloody awful because of the SH obsession with cavernous stadiums.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
That game was an absolute cracker. Find yourself a replay. Good hard, old fashioned graft for 80 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

TOCC, how can you assume it would be a bigger crowd in NZ? Their crowds during the Super Rugby season were pretty woeful, and almost nobody turned up to the Saders v Clan Quarter Final today. I know the weather was atrocious, but the cold at Canberra Stadium when the overnight temp is headed to -7 is just as harsh.

Hurricanes lowest crowd in 2017 has been 11,383 against the Cheetahs, and their last two home games this season have drawn more then 23,000.. So its fair to assume that the Hurricanes would have drawn a bigger crowd then the 9,000 in Canberra. I also don't agree with the format where the winning conference team gets a home match ahead of another team which had higher overall points, another reason i believe it should have gone to Wellington.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Hurricanes lowest crowd in 2017 has been 11,383 against the Cheetahs, and their last two home games this season have drawn more then 23,000.. So its fair to assume that the Hurricanes would have drawn a bigger crowd then the 9,000 in Canberra. I also don't agree with the format where the winning conference team gets a home match ahead of another team which had higher overall points, another reason i believe it should have gone to Wellington.
The format isn't fair when the worse team gets the benefit of a home final. I would guess though that the various broadcasters have a requirement of at least one final in their respective countries. They're paying the big bucks after all.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
SF1 - 78k
SF2 - 40k

Reason number 225 why Super Rugby is failing in this country. 2 quarters, a semi and the gf all played at times when almost no one is watching

half

Alan Cameron (40)
SF1 - 78k
SF2 - 40k

Reason number 225 why Super Rugby is failing in this country. 2 quarters, a semi and the gf all played at times when almost no one is watching

yer and the FFA Cup improvement in ratings on broadcast matches last encouraged Fox to start broadcasting early rounds with State based teams . Fox are happy reason 226 being local is important.

Perth V Heidelberg 34 K came in 20th on the night on Fox.

Blacktown City V Mariners 44 k came in 9th on the night on Fox.

neither Perth or the Mariners are big pullers of rating neither.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
And there are huge problems with the governance of soccer in this country. Doesn't seem to be affecting the game, though. Or the crowd support. BTW, stunning upsets do help a bit. Hard to imagine a club side beating any of the Soup franchises. Poor old Mariners!!!

half

Alan Cameron (40)
And there are huge problems with the governance of soccer in this country. Doesn't seem to be affecting the game, though. Or the crowd support. BTW, stunning upsets do help a bit. Hard to imagine a club side beating any of the Soup franchises. Poor old Mariners!!!

Confession Super Rugby has as I have indicated turned me off a lot recently and with the wife being into soccer I, sigh, cough, have a season ticket to the Mariners for this season.

BTW interesting observation you made, re the A-League sides being beaten by the state leagues. In rugby we would be calling for heads to roll,- over in the soccer world they celebrate the upset.

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
It'll be interesting to see what the Shute Shield ratings are for today's game- the only rugby on the box today involving an Aussie side.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Soccer is Soccer. Between absolute scoring, and less physicality (insomuch as having half a dozen high impact collisions is not an expected part of the game), the right defensive and offensive strategies can always create upsets.

The ability to build leads through penalties and drop goals means that when both teams are genuinely trying to win, at a certain point, a gulf in fitness/skill is genuinely insurmountable.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.