• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 TV ratings and crowd figures

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

I've seen the shute shield advertised quite a bit around Sydney this week, on a billboard or two and on advertisements on tv

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I've seen the shute shield advertised quite a bit around Sydney this week, on a billboard or two and on advertisements on tv

The SS is a key part of the future of the game. It is being shown in other states as well as NSW.

Good rugby played by traditional rivals. That is what people will watch.

L

Leo86

The SS is a key part of the future of the game. It is being shown in other states as well as NSW.

I think ive only noticed it recently in WA, i have no inclination to watch it. If I had more time maybe. But there is nothing there to tie me to a team either, even then, one game per week of differing sides each week would make it hard to pick a team let alone not being from WA like every team in every sport i watch

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Used to watch the SS, but turned off due the arrogant fucktards in charge. Spent Saturday arvo streaming the Royals/Vikings SF in the JID comp. Some very high standard play on show with Royals opening up a commanding lead to just hold on against the Viking's fight back in the second half (aided and abetted by a fairly one sided refereeing exhibition imo).

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

To a point. Then there comes the issue of having some kind of connection. That's the SS biggest hurdle outside of Sydney and to an extent NSW. What connection does someone from WA really have with any of the Sydney teams. Same for fans in Melbourne, Brisbane or even Canberra. None.

If the Shield is serious in their 'best club competition in the world' ambition then they need to begin to look beyond just Sydney and the odd game in the country regions and more nationally.

This would require a degree of restructure particularly of some clubs which would not go down well among them at all but unless you wanted to make it completely unruly it would be necessary. The best way I see that this could be done is a JV of the 'western' clubs in Harbour, Parra and Penrith into a Western Districts team opening two spots for ideally the recently revived Melbourne Axemen and the Perth Gold. To start. If possible a Canberra and Newcastle based squad would also be added. Do as the Pro14 are doing in terms of structure.

I think steps such as this would go a long way to achieving their stated goal but would obviously be hindered by a number of issues. The first being self-interest. None of the clubs I mentioned forming a JV would be interested. Second, as demonstrated previously, the Shield tends to be overly insular in it's thought process around it's membership. And third, the old chestnut of money. Which is in scarce supply.

Though it should be noted that the Australian Ice Hockey League is a league structure involving teams from 5 states including WA played over 28 rounds. And is entirely self funded. So if they can do it surely we could figure something out.

T

TOCC

I think the opportunity to restructure the club comp/NRC will come in 2019 when the global calendar shifts.. this will see Super Rugby finishing in July which opens up enormous opportunities to extract more value out of the non-Wallaby Super Rugby players.

Whether this is in the shape of Super Rugby players returning to QPR/SS earlier then they usually would providing a marketing boost and lifting the standard.. or whether this is the opportunity to look at a restructure, with some sort of club championship introduced, either before the NRC or in place of the NRC.

Feb-Jun: Super Rugby/QPR/Shute Shield
Jul-Aug: Club Championship featuring best club teams form QLD(4), WA(1), NSW(4), Vic(1), ACT(2).. 2 pools
Sep-Oct: NRC

Or... do you look at merging the NRC and Club Championship somehow, either by expanding the Club Comp and just using the Spirit and Rising as the other state rep teams? Either case, there's an opportunity it's approaching to restructure, I hope the ARU/QRU/SRU are seriously looking at i

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I think the opportunity to restructure the club comp/NRC will come in 2019 when the global calendar shifts.. this will see Super Rugby finishing in July which opens up enormous opportunities to extract more value out of the non-Wallaby Super Rugby players.

Whether this is in the shape of Super Rugby players returning to QPR/SS earlier then they usually would providing a marketing boost and lifting the standard.. or whether this is the opportunity to look at a restructure, with some sort of club championship introduced, either before the NRC or in place of the NRC.

Feb-Jun: Super Rugby/QPR/Shute Shield
Jul-Aug: Club Championship featuring best club teams form QLD(4), WA(1), NSW(4), Vic(1), ACT(2).. 2 pools
Sep-Oct: NRC

Or. do you look at merging the NRC and Club Championship somehow, either by expanding the Club Comp and just using the Spirit and Rising as the other state rep teams? Either case, there's an opportunity it's approaching to restructure, I hope the ARU/QRU/SRU are seriously looking at i

I tend to agree that an opportunity is on the horizon to further evolve the NRC with a level of club involvement. I actually quite like your concept but think it could be run over a longer window if it were to occur.

I'd take the same composition and pool structure but run it from July through October. Essentially merging it with the NRC. Instead of club teams from WA and Vic I would like to see rep squads as I suggested above. I know it's very speculative but I'd like to see some kind of involvement from the likes of Adelaide as well. I think this kind of structure would be a a better fit overall. Considering that Fiji would still be involved in some way that it could conceivably be a 14 team structure anyway. Two pools of 7. Home and away for 12 rounds. Top 2 through to the finals. 14 weeks in total.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Interested to know what TV ratings trend wise for SS would be for this year compared to last year. As imagine gaining a lot of new followers like me who watch it on 7two as alternative to watching more Super Rugby.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Whilst SS as Sydney based competition - if could grow tv viewers it would provide the test case for broader national rugby product (club championship or expanded/evolved NRC) on FTA.

Pipedream perhaps (FTA) but at least got SS on FTA which is good place to start.

T

TOCC

A sydney based SS based comp isn't the means to grow the game In Australia, no one outside of Sydney cares about it...

However, using parts of the SS as a foundation could work..

Reactions: mst

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
A sydney based SS based comp isn't the means to grow the game In Australia, no one outside of Sydney cares about it.

However, using parts of the SS as a foundation could work..

Which is why it will probably be easier to just expand the NRC using the teams we have now.

Scotland have just announced their new semi-pro 'Super 6' competition that will feature above the club game but below the Pro 14. The schedule will involve a 20 week season. I know there are significant geographical differences between us and them but surely we can organise an NRC competition that spans two full home and away rounds plus finals.

The window will soon be there and we should be looking to take full advantage of that. Look to properly market the damn thing and go from there.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yes I want a full season of rugby to watch - so NRC on at least 20 game home and away format I would be there regularly at games plus watching live on TV.

But ideally again like SS would be better on FTA like 7two. Is this realistic...well I guess if SS can do it......?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Which is why it will probably be easier to just expand the NRC using the teams we have now.

Scotland have just announced their new semi-pro 'Super 6' competition that will feature above the club game but below the Pro 14. The schedule will involve a 20 week season. I know there are significant geographical differences between us and them but surely we can organise an NRC competition that spans two full home and away rounds plus finals.

The window will soon be there and we should be looking to take full advantage of that. Look to properly market the damn thing and go from there.

Another analogous decision that will probably piss some off.

When we had to cut a team: we made the hard decision. Cut the more successful team in the traditional Rugby area for the one with the bigger population and commercial (see business) viability.

Obviously, the ideal situation, and the prefered one from the overwhelming majority of Australian fans is the retention of 5 teams. But look at Glasgow now.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Bledisloe attendance 54,846

Fox rating 231k
Ten (5 cities) 371k

Probably end up around 750k total with the regionals included

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
In the grand scheme of things they are not bad figures.

In what context?

There were a lot of people that turned out and innocently got caught out witnessing a public execution (blood bath) and won't be tuning in again?

The figure were ok, but this is what the public didn't need to see and for the sake of the game we didn't want people to see.

Then again, at least people bore witness to the ARU incompetence and validated the criticisms and comments by the disgruntled fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.