• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2018 TV ratings and crowd numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Had a look at last years numbers for all teams (2017)
Average crowd size for Aus home games v
SA (7 games) - 10,000
Aus (13 games) 11,500
NZ (10 games) - 14,000

7 games were missing (never announced) and only one Jags game had a number (11,000)

Kiwis definatley draw bigger crowds across the country

Thanks, must admit I am surprised NZ teams drew more than Australian, especially if you consider Reds V Tahs figures.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Thanks, must admit I am surprised NZ teams drew more than Australian, especially if you consider Reds V Tahs figures.

The NZ fans only turn up for the NZ games. (Edit: A lot) don't seem to care about rugby in Australia.

There were definitely lots of people there last night and a lot of Hurricane fans.

Very very good crowd though given it is also a long weekend. I really was only expecting 12k so was rather surprised when I saw all the bloody people. Hope some of the NZ actually start to care about rugby and come to the non NZ games.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
I hate to be that guy but I wonder what the gate proceeds were at 16k and more worryingly what they were at 8-10k in previous rounds compared to previous years.
I think it’s great they got a semi decent crowd but if they’re paying 40% less then it’s only gate takings equivalent to a 9600 crowd last year and similarly a 10k crowd is equivalent to 6k of previous.
Definitely looks better but does it help the bottom line at all?
It's only the general admission tickets that have reduced in price, by $5.00. I think they were $20.00 last year and now $15.00 or, you can buy a membership and pay $11.00/game. All the other tickets are at the same price as last year.
It is better to have more people even if some are paying a bit less.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
I'm not sure why you'd find that surprising. There would be many (thousands) more Kiwi fans in Melbourne than Tahs, Reds or Brumbies fans. It would be similar in other places too I imagine.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
The Blues games was the biggest draw of the year for the three Aus teams who played them at home. Chiefs were the Force's biggest, and while the Tahs were the Reds best game, the Crusaders weren't far behind

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Rebels will have 2x more 12k+ games. Vs Tahs and vs saders. Lowest crowd will be the jags in 2 weeks. Prob 8k

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
It's only the general admission tickets that have reduced in price, by $5.00. I think they were $20.00 last year and now $15.00 or, you can buy a membership and pay $11.00/game. All the other tickets are at the same price as last year.

so 10,000 x $20=$200,000
15,000 x $15=$225,000

Reducing prices can be a good thing, especially if the team gets a percentage on beer/food sales on top.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
so 10,000 x $20=$200,000
15,000 x $15=$225,000

Reducing prices can be a good thing, especially if the team gets a percentage on beer/food sales on top.

Very difficult to make guesses about this sort of thing, precisely because we do not know what the mechanics of the deal are.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That's true Wamb, but it remains a fact that revenue is a function of numbers and price. It is at least feasible that by reducing the cost, the revenue will be up if it results in greater numbers of attendees.

The trick for those in charge is to make the right call about ticket prices to maximise the revenue.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
That's true Wamb, but it remains a fact that revenue is a function of numbers and price. It is at least feasible that by reducing the cost, the revenue will be up if it results in greater numbers of attendees.

The trick for those in charge is to make the right call about ticket prices to maximise the revenue.

Well, sometimes there are some weird exceptions. Like when Clive Palmer closed off a large part of Robina Stadium for Gold Coast United's home games, to avoid paying rent. There was a clause in the contract apparently, which specified a minimum attendance under which no rent (or a much reduced rent) was payable.

Nothing would surprise me, which is why I expressed my scepticism about a simple analysis; or should I say a simplistic analysis.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Well, sometimes there are some weird exceptions. Like when Clive Palmer closed off a large part of Robina Stadium for Gold Coast United's home games, to avoid paying rent. There was a clause in the contract apparently, which specified a minimum attendance under which no rent (or a much reduced rent) was payable.

Nothing would surprise me, which is why I expressed my scepticism about a simple analysis; or should I say a simplistic analysis.

They close off part of AAMI stadium. Have for a couple of years now.

At this point, more people attending is good. Increases profile and you can push the price up a couple of dollars later in the season to increase the margin without losing too many.

T

TOCC

It wasn't the costs of stadium rent, Clive wanted attendance figures capped because anything over 5000 required a traffic management plan submitted, which in SEQ means a public transport tax added onto the tickets which enables fans to use PT without paying.

Clive still had to pay the costs of renting the stadium, however by capping the attendance and waiving the PT fee it reduced the overheads on match day costs.

T

TOCC

I suspect the real reason for the reduction in ticket prices was in part due to a renegotiated deal with the Victorian Government over the costs of leasing the ground, as part of the 'rescue package' that was done between the parties last year.

Reactions: mst

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
I suspect the real reason for the reduction in ticket prices was in part due to a renegotiated deal with the Victorian Government over the costs of leasing the ground, as part of the 'rescue package' that was done between the parties last year.
You think MOPT are taking a hair cut ? Maybe, but they must still show returns for their assets.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
Screen+Shot+2018-04-03+at+9.10.53+am.png

Tahs vs Brumbies 77K

T

TOCC

Clubs sorted by average attendance (highest to lowest)

Queensland Reds (11,431)
Rebels (11,153)
NSW Waratahs (11,087)
Brumbies (10,819)

Tahs didn’t announce their Rebels crowd

Status
Not open for further replies.