• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2018 TV ratings and crowd numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It's still shit house really. We talk about the Rebels having problems getting sponsorship - why would anyone want to sponsor any team where they get less than 100k watching on TV and less than 15k in crowds (this relates to every Australian team).

This is why we all have to put our differences aside and work together. We have struggled pretty much ever since Dally Messenger jumped ship; we have had some brief, beautiful, bursts of sunshine. I would not say these are our darkest days, but they are certainly not all that bright.

To put my view in a nutshell, we have to band together, set achievable targets, and then work to achieve them. Play to our advantages, play to the disadvantages of our main rivals, and work hard together.

T

TOCC

This is why we all have to put our differences aside and work together. We have struggled pretty much ever since Dally Messenger jumped ship; we have had some brief, beautiful, bursts of sunshine. I would not say these are our darkest days, but they are certainly not all that bright.

To put my view in a nutshell, we have to band together, set achievable targets, and then work to achieve them. Play to our advantages, play to the disadvantages of our main rivals, and work hard together.

yes I agree..

but what are achievable targets and how should they go about achieving them? That’s the perennial questions that can’t be agreed upon, and whilst I’m quite scathing of the RA, the mismanagement of rugby in Australian isn’t just top down, it comes from the bottom as well.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
You've mentioned it before TOCC - but here's what they are working towards (and not meeting!)

The Australian Rugby Strategic Plan sets out some ambitious targets for 2020, including but not limited to the following:

*356,500 participants across the three formats of Rugby – XVs, Sevens and VIVA7s
*Increase female participation rate to 15% of all participants across three formats
*Average Aus TV viewership of 100,000 for every Super Rugby match played in Aus
*Average Aus TV viewership of 1 million for every Rugby Championship match played in Aus
*Retain 100% of full season members year on year
*Achieve 1.1 million ticket sales for Wallabies Test matches over the period 2016-2020
*Achieve 1 million visits per month to Rugby.com.au and Super Rugby team websites and generate a loyalty subscriber base of 500,000
*Achieve >85% of players in national programs having graduated through state and national pathway programs
*Wallabies: win the Rugby Championship, Bledisloe Cup and 2019 Rugby World Cup and at all times retain top 3 world ranking
*Wallabies: ranked number one as Australia’s most recognised national team brand
*Olympic (2016 & 2020) and Commonwealth Games (2018) Medals for men’s and women’s Sevens teams30% of women in Board roles, senior management roles, and 30% women in ARU staff
*Growth of a future fund to $10 million by 2020

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Take out last year's Force v Reds Thursday night game (38k) and things are pretty much identical.

Why? Just taking the worst games out defeats the purpose of the exercise.

You could counter that the traditional drawcard games are yet to be played - Tahs/Brumbies and Tahs/Reds, not to mention we haven't played any kiwi teams yet.

The eye test suggests the rugby is as good as it's been in years, and I hope the increase becomes greater as the season goes on and the audience builds/maintains.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Why? Just taking the worst games out defeats the purpose of the exercise.

You could counter that the traditional drawcard games are yet to be played - Tahs/Brumbies and Tahs/Reds, not to mention we haven't played any kiwi teams yet.

The eye test suggests the rugby is as good as it's been in years, and I hope the increase becomes greater as the season goes on and the audience builds/maintains.
Because it's a Thursday night game, with the Force. Two oranges to compare with this years apples.

A like-for-like comparison shows that ratings haven't changed much. (yet - cause I don't disagree with the rest of what you're saying)

T

TOCC

wow thats an incredibly disappointing figure.... from the broadcast and social media it looked like a bigger crowd then previous weeks

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah SAF teams traditionally draw lower but that's a disappointing crowd regardless. Has AFL started?

It's a shame for the team considering the footy they are playing.

You'd hope the clash with the Canes next week brings their biggest crowd of the season.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
wow thats an incredibly disappointing figure.. from the broadcast and social media it looked like a bigger crowd then previous weeks

Not really that surprising. SA teams never get good crowds in Melbourne and the AFL has just started. It did feel like less at the game than the other weeks. Not saying that it is good ...

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
yeah SAF teams traditionally draw lower but that's a disappointing crowd regardless. Has AFL started?

You'd hope the clash with the Canes next week brings their biggest crowd of the season.

AFL started Thursday night with the typical blockbuster. Tonight was Essendon v Adelaide at Etihad. Also there was the NBL grand final just across the road.

I would expect the Hurricanes will bring a much bigger crowd - above 12k would be considered good.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Definitely will be a bigger crowd when the Hurricanes come - firstly, some Canes supporters will come, secondly, we might win , which will draw the Melb supporters, thirdly, we are playing much better rugby (than ever before) - might even hit 12k (for real)

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Crusaders v Bulls - 25k
Rebels v Sharks - 36k

Pretty dire numbers though lots of competition last night - AFL, NRL, cricket, Formula 1, NBL finals.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)

Carlton V Richmond pulled over 90k on Thursday night. Apparently it was the 12th time a home and away game has had over 90,000 since the AFL began.

I'll be disappointed if we don't get 12,000+ this week. Kiwi games usually pull decent crowds in Melbourne, Saffa games not so much.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Crusaders v Bulls - 25k
Rebels v Sharks - 36k

Pretty dire numbers though lots of competition last night - AFL, NRL, cricket, Formula 1, NBL finals.

Hurricanes v Highlanders - 34k, even the all kiwi games beat both A-league matches

Can I just clarify; so these are defiantly Aussie rating figures for Foxtel?

So correct me if I am wrong, but these figure are saying that only 2K less watched a non-prime time game (5:30pm), with no Aussie team featured - correct?

So that was also in direct competition with the live F1 qualifying that was 5 to 6.30pm (Foxtel and FTA), A NRL game, A-League game and 2x AFL games.

T

TOCC

They are Australian tv ratings..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.