• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2018 TV ratings and crowd numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
Most of the crowd is was in the shade. So bloody hot out there. Great game and credit to both teams for playing under those conditions

Attachments

• EF14AF44-2E7E-4CB1-8ECD-20FB0E049C44.jpeg
    EF14AF44-2E7E-4CB1-8ECD-20FB0E049C44.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 211
D

daz

If the game was in Melbourne the crowd figure would have been 10112. :p

No, if the game was in Melbourne you would be lucky to see double figures. Who in Melbourne is going to go watch the Brumbies and the Sharks?

I know the internet has no tone, and a smiley emoji is the universal sarcasm cover, so let me say it in black and white before the righteous call down the wrath of God on me - that was a joke. Humour, or an attempt there-of. Y’know, boom tish?

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
That sounds about right, my guess is 11K, pretty much everybody was under the shade. I had a few mates that pulled out due to the heat, it was very hot and half the crowd was just sitting there trying to cope with heat.

As a side note there really needs to be an upgrade of the facilities and I am not saying that it has to be a massive rebuild. Juts build a proper bar and food outlet, the people that work at the stadium have no idea how to serve more than 3 people, it is freaking hot so if you are going to serve tinnies have them on ice! Anyway rant over Go Tahs

D

daz

Just watching a great game of club rugby on replay, the Warringah Rats and University of Queensland, for the Australian Club championship.

Anybody who does not enjoy this, does not enjoy rugby. If you can afford "not to give a rat's arse" about a game like this, sorry to say this, but you do not deserve to have any rugby to watch.

Bit harsh. Why would a non-NSW or non-QLD person, with no history or affiliation with any club rugby team in NSW or QLD, have to drop everything to watch them play?

You seem to think that to be a true rugby person(whatever that is) needs to be nuts deep in grassroots, especially grassroots in another state.

If I had watched this particular game, I’m sure I would have enjoyed it. I do like a good game of rugby. But I didn’t watch it, because I couldn’t care too much about watching 2 teams from parts of the country that have nothing to do with me. So I choose to do other things with my life on a nice weekend.

The same reason I don’t watch many super rugby games, especially at 3am on a Sunday morning between SA and Kiwi teams. It’s just not that important to me to watch every game of every comp in every part of the world at every time of the day and night.

Does that make me less of a rugby person? Less deserving of having a Super team? Of having any team?

Am I the reason rugby is going backwards in Oz?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's not like there was a shortage of rugby to watch on the weekend.

I watched about 4 games of rugby, haven't yet watched a couple more I want to see and it wasn't on my radar.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Just watching a great game of club rugby on replay, the Warringah Rats and University of Queensland, for the Australian Club championship.

Anybody who does not enjoy this, does not enjoy rugby. If you can afford "not to give a rat's arse" about a game like this, sorry to say this, but you do not deserve to have any rugby to watch.

What crap. Maybe it was a good game but I have no affiliation with either of these teams and so wouldn't have even thought about catching it.

I'm glad that you have made yourself the arbitrator of who deserves to have any rugby to watch. I'm not someone who grew up with rugby- I grew up in Tassie and I don't think I would have seen a game until I was at least 18. To be honest, I have little interest in grass roots rugby. I know it is important but it is not something where I am likely to spend my limited time. I'd be much more likely to try and find the time to watch England v Ireland (or more likely get some more sleep)

T

TOCC

Bit harsh. Why would a non-NSW or non-QLD person, with no history or affiliation with any club rugby team in NSW or QLD, have to drop everything to watch them play?

It's not even that.. Im from Queensland but have no affiliation with UQ other then playing them a handful of times, and I felt no great compulsion to watch the game. Its completely illogical to suggest that people should have dropped everything to watch a game between two clubs which is essentially a pre-season trial match and missing a handful of their star players.

This whole club challenge is a broken model, playing it in the pre-season of the proceeding season of the relative club competition is flawed in its execution. People want to see the best of the best, and pre-season of the following season isn't that, in fact in QLD no club has won back to back seasons in the past 15years of Premier Grade, meaning statistically the teams which have played in the Club Championship the following year are not the best teams that year.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
This whole club challenge is a broken model, >>>>>>>>>> People want to see the best of the best,

Incredible responce.

Please don't take this personally as I believe your post represents many if not a large majority of opinion.

However for me this is why;- we are;- were we are.

I struggle to think of a single successful league with a team competition, of any code, in any country, where the backbone of the success is a club competition, which has pathways from the grassroots.

Gridiron, Hockey, Basketball, Netball, Hand Ball, Soccer, AFL, NRL

That the suits have all but destroyed the club competition as it aliens with the US media company wants.

I will shut up, I have had this argument so many times now, but wise heads had led us to this great point we are in he Australian sporting Landscape.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Incredible responce.

Please don't take this personally as I believe your post represents many if not a large majority of opinion.

However for me this is why;- we are;- were we are.

I struggle to think of a single successful league with a team competition, of any code, in any country, where the backbone of the success is a club competition, which has pathways from the grassroots.

Gridiron, Hockey, Basketball, Netball, Hand Ball, Soccer, AFL, NRL

That the suits have all but destroyed the club competition as it aliens with the US media company wants.

I will shut up, I have had this argument so many times now, but wise heads had led us to this great point we are in he Australian sporting Landscape.

I am a little confused. Are you saying that all of the sports that are highly successful financially have killed the grassroots. But then in rugby the grassroots are alive and the financial position is poor?

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
I am a little confused. Are you saying that all of the sports that are highly successful financially have killed the grassroots. But then in rugby the grassroots are alive and the financial position is poor?
I thought he was saying that the tribal background of the Shute shield is the way forwards for founding a new national competition but it won’t work because it is still connected to the grass roots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

half

Alan Cameron (40)
TOCC

My interpretation of what you posted is District Regional teams which is Club Rugby as I understand it say an example most would know Eastwood RUC in the Sydney Shute Shield. That these clubs are a broken model. IMO these clubs create a pathway for the local district park teams for the better players to come and test themselves and mostly receive better training than at their local park team.

For me these clubs be they in the Hunter / Newcastle region or Central Coast or the back of Orange they are crucial in development and growth pathways.

James & Staff

Hopefully my explanation to TOCC helps. But to expand I have been advocating since around 1998 or could have been 1999 that we need a national domestic competition. [NDC]

To this end I have always said my preference was to choose teams from within the existing rugby family. Thus club teams.

Leadership and vision was needed as not everyone could fit in so how do you go about establishing say a 12 team national competition.

Very briefly my idea, after a long negotiation process which was inclusive select 12 teams from ACT, NSW & QLD to play in a NDC. Then because of the negotiation promote if you like 12 other teams from say park level to club rugby level. This mean the status-que of teams in club rugby would remain the same. Expand to WA in time then SA and leave VIC to last.

The new competition would have support from its own base and could draw from arguably the other teams fans because of the higher level of skill.

What we did was take existing state teams of over a 100 years standing as state teams and turn them into club teams. Then we raided club rugby for players and hid it away on sub subscription TV while in Sydney anyway the now weaken SS was on FTA.

IMO it was pure madness, however I was generally considered a sorta trouble maker, out of touch and essentially my views considered pure madness so many arguments and in time I gave up.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think TOCC's point was that the National Club Championship game between the winner of Brisbane and Sydney club rugby is a meaningless game played at the wrong end of the season that few people care about.

It is barely a footnote on the rugby calendar.

I don't think he was making any sweeping statements about club rugby in general.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
My reading of TOCC's post is that he believes the Club Championship game is broken because it occurs in the following year's pre-season period rather than at the end of the regular seasons in which the respective sides are the champion team. That is my take on the supposed club championship game as well. I don't think TOCC was suggesting that the clubs themselves are a broken model, however I should leave it to TOCC to clarify if that's the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.