• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2018 TV ratings and crowd numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Based on what? You know this how? You don’t see the camera side, so you are basing this on an incomplete picture.

I was at both games, and I honestly thought the round 1 crowd was very slightly bigger. At the very least, comparing the 2 crowds, I’d be pretty comfortable to be told they were both 10K.

I won't go into it again, there was a photo or two posted in this forum which would suggest that the stadium wasn't 1/3 full, that and snippets like this coming out of Melbourne.. It would seem 10k is the magic number the are fighting to maintain. It wouldn't be the first or last time an Australian Super Rugby team has fudged the numbers for crowds or memberships, it's actually quite common across professional sports.

Crowd concerns

There are concerns in Melbourne Friday's crowd for the Rebels and Reds match might not reach 10,000.
A Victorian Rugby Union board member has told a source that if the magic 10,000 mark doesn't eventuate, the number might be tweaked to look better than it is.

"We'd like to think we would be getting a crowd of well in excess of 10,000, pushing up to 12,500 would be terrific," Stephenson said. "If we can get some momentum, crowds will come back."
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...ugby-2018-power-rankings-20180222-h0wgs5.html

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
10,061 reported in Melbourne for Rebs v Brums

Looked bigger, and especially bigger than the almost identical round 1 crowd

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I doubted the figures for the last round. Agree it looked bigger. Will keep increasing if they keep winning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Rebels vs Reds: 10,021
Rebels vs Brumbies: 10,061
Fully expecting 10,091 but looking substantially bigger next time around... and if it looks half the size I would still expect to be reported as 10,031.

T

TOCC

Clarkey said that the last time the two sides played at Lang Park, the crowd was 28,000. That was 2013, I think? Anyway, the trend is most definitely not our friend.

No its not.. But if it were 2013, then the Reds were still a top 4 team back then, and so were the Bulls..

The Reds average crowd for 2013 was still the mid 20ks, in 2018 its 11k, some of the crowds will come back but I think the 2011-2013 era was a flash in the plan rather being indicative of what is a sustainable level of support for the Reds. People are tired of the Super Rugby package, that is the true trend.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Reds v Bulls - 52k

Plenty going on last night

League over 260k for three all games. AFL preseason was around 80k for all three games. AFLW (3 games) between 60k and 24k. Cricket was a tick over 120k.

A-League on Fox - 23k. Liverpool v ManU on SBS - 145k

T

TOCC

They should be aiming for 20k crowd at the next home game against the Chiefs, on the back of wins against the Tahs, Brumbies and Jaguars ;)

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It's going to take a lot to get crowds back to Reds games. A few wins isn't enough. A home semi might help but I can't see that happening.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

The Reds have done everything they could over the last few years to kill their support base. Resuscitation will take just as long, I reckon. And it is sadly possible that some of that lost support will never come back.

T

TOCC

The Reds have done everything they could over the last few years to kill their support base. Resuscitation will take just as long, I reckon. And it is sadly possible that some of that lost support will never come back.

I remember similar comments being made in 2009.
Recent years have been bad for a reds fan, but I don’t think it was as bad as the 2007-2009 era

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I remember similar comments being made in 2009.
Recent years have been bad for a reds fan, but I don’t think it was as bad as the 2007-2009 era

yeah, I remember taking my young boys to see Ben Tune's last home Reds game v the Cheetahs in 2007. The crowd was criminally small. An arvo game too. So sad to see for such a legend.

Just looking at the stats for that season and it's clear to see what. This was the Eddie era so it ended with that 90 pnt loss to the Bulls. But in the 13 games we only scored 15 tries! Tune with 2 tries (and John Roe) were our equal top try scorers!

Eddie famously struggled with the role of props, and we did have some injuries that year but we went through such luminaries as Ben Couts, Herman Hunt, Gavin Warren, Ernest Skelton, Tama Turirangi and David Te Moana as well as the big names Rodney Blake and Greg Holmes.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Eddie tried to get the team to play a style that they just did not possess the players for, he just killed them physically. It was sad to watch.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
To be fair to the Reds the weather on the weekend didn't help. I would have expected a couple of thousand more if there was no rain.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Reds fans will return far quicker than the forum is predicting if they win a few more. Would help if they played at least some attractive rugby as well.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I doubt that they are going to play anything razzle dazzle. They do not have the cattle for that. Thorn showed his intentions when he failed to use Cooper.

It is going to be no frills all the way. Another cautionary thought. It is a lot harder to get fans back than to lose them.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
The next home game crowd for the reds is immediately after a reds tahs clash in Sydney. Win that and there'll be a boost. By how much probably depends on how the other 3 games go, but don't underestimate the value of sticking it to NSW.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.