• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2018 TV ratings and crowd numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
I used to watch it, when I lived in Hong Kong. Sometimes there was not much choice in sports to watch on the box. Like a number of popular sports, it can be bloody entertaining when you get into it.

Very true.

Since the Force were axed I've come to the realisation, despite everything I'd thought to that point, that soccer and tennis are both super awesome.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The AFL local derby in Perth drew 56000? Did I hear that correctly?

All those frustrated Force fans, flocking to the AFL.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Those are just the fox figures. Lots more + FTA on @mediaweekaus twitter account

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Those figures are scary especially in comparison with AFL,

this from the Malcolm Knox article on Saturday.

the picture for Super Rugby is even bleaker. The national Foxtel ratings on the night had 300,000 viewers for Swans-Adelaide against 57,000 for the Waratahs-Lions. Add another 584,000 nationally watching the AFL game on Channel Seven.So, whereas the live AFL audience outnumbered Super Rugby by four or five to one, the TV audience ratio was more than 15 to one. AFL is not just winning in the grandstands, it’s winning on the couch.

charlesalan

Sydney Middleton (9)
^^^I do watch a lot of football across the two codes and must say I enjoy watching most AFL games especially when they play a tight match and either team could win it. I hate watching games that are one sided - as in a lot of rugby lately.
Further, it is a fun social outing for a group of pals or even the fam.
There is a game on every Fri and Sat night, so its a regular commitment - lately, my regular commitment has been the 5.30 Fri and Sat night NZ games I can't be stuffed watching the late night SA games even if my team is playing.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Second highest force crowd at nib. Almost 20k and sold out. The wolfmother stage prevented a bigger
Crowd.
Told brookvale oval for the tahs game is a sellout as well.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Christ, if they've managed to sell out Brookvale Oval (23,000) I'd be fine with them making it their permanent playing base. Better with 13-14,000 at the SFS for sure.

It would be better if there were another couple of venues of a similar size and friendly location. Leichhardt???? Campbelltown??? (That would be amusing, given Porky Pulver's famous put-down of league).

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Christ, if they've managed to sell out Brookvale Oval (23,000) I'd be fine with them making it their permanent playing base. Better with 13-14,000 at the SFS for sure.
Fair old comment around Sydney's/northern beaches public transport and road network in those number too

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
The AFL local derby in Perth drew 56000? Did I hear that correctly?

All those frustrated Force fans, flocking to the AFL.

Really? The Force struggled to get 10,000 a game last year. If they were pulling 20,000 crowds like last night over 2016-17, then there is no way they would have been culled.

Great result btw. If it continues, then it strongly suggests that there is appetite to go to Force games just not those in Super Rugby.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
It would be better if there were another couple of venues of a similar size and friendly location. Leichhardt???? Campbelltown??? (That would be amusing, given Porky Pulver's famous put-down of league).

And just imagine if they had another team from NSW you could have rivalry, heaven forbid tribalism. Instead we travel half way round the world and play someone no one gives a shit about.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Plus would be cheaper ground rental costs equals more profit..plus how much better does it look on TV to see a full ground....

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Plus would be cheaper ground rental costs equals more profit..plus how much better does it look on TV to see a full ground..

That's an excellent viability-of-franchise point in that what is happening as most Aust Super rugby crowds fall to (real not bullshit) average crowd levels of 8,000-10,000 (in stadia that can hold 3-5 times that number), those crowd numbers will barely if at all cover gross ground costs so best case net gate income for the year hovers at break even for an RU, worse case that net gate income effectively induces a serious financial loss in that income category over the Super season. And gate income has historically been a major contributor to Super franchises' operating viability.

charlesalan

Sydney Middleton (9)
That's an excellent viability-of-franchise point in that what is happening as most Aust Super rugby crowds fall to (real not bullshit) average crowd levels of 8,000-10,000 (in stadia that can hold 3-5 times that number), those crowd numbers will barely if at all cover gross ground costs so best case net gate income for the year hovers at break even for an RU, worse case that net gate income effectively induces a serious financial loss in that income category over the Super season. And gate income has historically been a major contributor to Super franchises' operating viability.
surely you can't charge $75 for a seat on the hill at Brookvale oval - how much were those tickets? At least at stadiums you can overcharge for some tickets

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Last night we had the A-League GF, AFL, NRL, Super Rugby, Super Cars and Super Netball all crammed into Saturday night.

We are in a very competitive market place.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Last night we had the A-League GF, AFL, NRL, Super Rugby, Super Cars and Super Netball all crammed into Saturday night.

We are in a very competitive market place.

Yes we are. That is our biggest single problem, apart from the other biggest problem, the continuing drip drip drip, the loss of some of our best players to the NH goldmines.

Any solutions?

Status
Not open for further replies.