• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2024 schools rowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vai a Riva

Stan Wickham (3)
From an outsider's point of view, Riverview seem to once again be in strong contention for retaining the Major Rennie, as well as the LC Robson, Yaralla Cup, Father Gartlan Trophy and the Penrith City Council Cup, all of which were won by the boatshed last year. Whilst early season results aren't everything, they do give spectators such as myself a position to make a prediction. I can't lie I would love to see the Dan Noonan lead program go back to back, but maybe that's just me. Let's hope for another cracking year of racing.

The Chairman

Tom Lawton (22)
From an outsider's point of view, Riverview seem to once again be in strong contention for retaining the Major Rennie, as well as the LC Robson, Yaralla Cup, Father Gartlan Trophy and the Penrith City Council Cup, all of which were won by the boatshed last year. Whilst early season results aren't everything, they do give spectators such as myself a position to make a prediction. I can't lie I would love to see the Dan Noonan lead program go back to back, but maybe that's just me. Let's hope for another cracking year of racing.
I think this year will also be the year of the outsider/underdog. Riverview and King's are the boats that have everything to loose. Joeys with 6 returning 1st VIII rowers and Shore with a new coach and program and Scots who always outperform of Head of the River Day may shock a few people.

isacc_fanua

Bob McCowan (2)
i believe the match up in the 1st 8 will be Kings and Riverview, the Huxley vs Noonan match up will be one to remember for a second year running. I have heard news of Newington already in the 8 and shore in the 4s and joeys, kings and riverview in the sculls, is the secret out??? sculling is the key???

The Chairman

Tom Lawton (22)
i believe the match up in the 1st 8 will be Kings and Riverview, the Huxley vs Noonan match up will be one to remember for a second year running. I have heard news of Newington already in the 8 and shore in the 4s and joeys, kings and riverview in the sculls, is the secret out??? sculling is the key???
Shore, Kings, Newington are all already in the 8's, not so sure about the others.

TheCarefulKingsman

Bob McCowan (2)
I completely understand it is out of my jurisdiction to say this, but during my time at Riverview the main key was Endurace and Strength. I understand that was 30 Od years now but wouldn't it still be the same today?

isacc_fanua

Bob McCowan (2)
I completely understand it is out of my jurisdiction to say this, but during my time at Riverview the main key was Endurace and Strength. I understand that was 30 Od years now but wouldn't it still be the same today?
1988, i believe shore won that year, and the training reigime consisted of sculling. what is your opinion?

TheCarefulKingsman

Bob McCowan (2)
1988, i believe shore won that year, and the training reigime consisted of sculling. what is your opinion?
In my day we were just scolded with fitness. We used to run laps around main and Wallace, and after the other various fitness exercises we would go for a swim in the Lane Cove, before it became polluted with joeys boys haha. Just Kidding. We used to see them row past and turn around and try to race them. We would get absolutely screamed at for this because we would leave our coach to chase them.

In my day we were just scolded with fitness. We used to run laps around main and Wallace, and after the other various fitness exercises we would go for a swim in the Lane Cove, before it became polluted with joeys boys haha. Just Kidding. We used to see them row past and turn around and try to race them. We would get absolutely screamed at for this because we would leave our coach to chase them.
Darn Joeys Boys just kidding. At the end of the day we all love a little rivalry :p

I was informed he was apparently coxing 2nd 8 or the 1st 4. Even though he's in yr 11. Apparently the cox for the 1st 8 is in yr 10! Didn't Ed Thorp cox the year 10 1st 8 in 2021 which went on to win the 1st 8 HOTR and Nationals in 2023, and still hold the fastest time for a year 10 crew In the AAGPS.
Yes Ed thorp did Cox the yr 10 first 8 to a win in 2021 but then quit from the program before returning last year. From what i was told he was lucky to be let back in so it will be interesting to see what happens.

isacc_fanua

Bob McCowan (2)
Quite an exciting topic Troy, my predictions from the results of the entry erg are as follows.
Bow: Tana McCleary
Thomas Johnston
Jeremey Holmes
Stroke: George Tancred
My Prediction for the first IV coming into this year is:
Bow: Alexander Forlico
2 seat: Jonas Mason
3 Seat: Angus Mcgrath

now i know this could be a controversial but its set in stone. Ive heard it from Dan himself

I think this year will also be the year of the outsider/underdog. Riverview and King's are the boats that have everything to loose. Joeys with 6 returning 1st VIII rowers and Shore with a new coach and program and Scots who always outperform of Head of the River Day may shock a few people.
What in tarnation I think Scots will struggle they dont seem to have any depth in their program if you look in the 4s and 2nd 8 they came last or close to last in every race.

TheCarefulKingsman

Bob McCowan (2)
Quite an exciting topic Troy, my predictions from the results of the entry erg are as follows.
Bow: Tana McCleary
Thomas Johnston
Jeremey Holmes
Rumor has it James Stack, Last years yr 10 1st 8 cox is trying to make senior rowing as a cox. And that Ed Thorp isn't happy because there is another yr 10 1st 8 cox in the mix. I believe Mr Thorp needs to 'settle down.' Just Kidding he's a family friend. Hoping he see's this haha.

The Peanut Gallery

Stan Wickham (3)
This year looks like it could be open for anyone. Absolutely itching to see the schoolboy eights thundering down the course again vying for the Major Rennie.

The Peanut Gallery

Stan Wickham (3)
My Prediction for the first IV coming into this year is:
Bow: Alexander Forlico
2 seat: Jonas Mason
3 Seat: Angus Mcgrath

now i know this could be a controversial but its set in stone. Ive heard it from Dan himself
I know I have already said this but this account is really starting to push my buttons!!!

isacc_fanua

Bob McCowan (2)
does anyone have a predicted lineup for the GPS 8? Will the Riverview Coxswain retain his seat, I believe his name was Henry Bart.

The Peanut Gallery

Stan Wickham (3)
does anyone have a predicted lineup for the GPS 8? Will the Riverview Coxswain retain his seat, I believe his name was Henry Bart.
The coxswain for the GPS Eight is not chosen on the back of ability, but merely whoever steered the winning crew. I am not foolish enough to even attempt a prediction at the GPS eight; lots of training and time between now and the trials.

Status
Not open for further replies.