• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

3rd tier is back in 2014 [Discontinued]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Glebe / Dirty Reds evolved from 1873 not Balmain - John Mulfords book is a great read.http://www.harpercollins.com.au/boo...gby-Union-18-John-Mulford/?isbn=9780733316258

I can't find my copy of the Mumford book, Dave, so I turned to Thomas V. Hickie's, A Sense of Union: A History of the Sydney University Football Club. Hickie quotes from a report of "the first meeting of 'The Southern Rugby Football Union'" which appeared in the Town and Country Journal of 1 August 1874. There were delegates from 10 clubs with 3 not being represented. Among the clubs were Victoria [the colony]; Goulburn and Mudgee, etc. The delegates from Balmain were "Messrs T.E.O. Ward and Murdock". There is no mention of Glebe.

Later in the book Hickie states: "The Glebe Football Club, founded in 1880,commenced playing games on what was referred to as 'University Hill'."

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I can't find my copy of the Mumford book, Dave, so I turned to Thomas V. Hickie's, A Sense of Union: A History of the Sydney University Football Club. Hickie quotes from a report of "the first meeting of 'The Southern Rugby Football Union'" which appeared in the Town and Country Journal of 1 August 1874. There were delegates from 10 clubs with 3 not being represented. Among the clubs were Victoria [the colony]; Goulburn and Mudgee, etc. The delegates from Balmain were "Messrs T.E.O. Ward and Murdock". There is no mention of Glebe.

Later in the book Hickie states: "The Glebe Football Club, founded in 1880,commenced playing games on what was referred to as 'University Hill'."
Nor can I, I was running with 1873 as it was mentioned above.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Glebe / Dirty Reds evolved from 1873 not Balmain - John Mulfords book is a great read.http://www.harpercollins.com.au/boo...gby-Union-18-John-Mulford/?isbn=9780733316258
The Drummoyne DRFC website lists Balmain RFC formed in 1873, Glebe RFC formed in 1889, the 2 clubs merging in 1919 after many players were killed/wounded in WW1 and the merged club reluctently changing its name to Drummoyne in 1931. The red jumpers are from Glebe and the black and gold socks from Balmain. Information is apparently based on Mulford's book. :)

http://www.drummoynerugby.com.au/SNR/About/default.asp

I can recall the sign at Drummoyne Oval saying something like Drummoyne DRFC incorporating Glebe Balmain.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
The Drummoyne DRFC website lists Balmain RFC formed in 1873, Glebe RFC formed in 1889, the 2 clubs merging in 1919 after many players were killed/wounded in WW1 and the merged club reluctently changing its name to Drummoyne in 1931. The red jumpers are from Glebe and the black and gold socks from Balmain. Information is apparently based on Mulford's book. :)

http://www.drummoynerugby.com.au/SNR/About/default.asp

I can recall the sign at Drummoyne Oval saying something like Drummoyne DRFC incorporating Glebe Balmain.

Thanks for the research, I can only do so much on the phone.

no9

Ted Fahey (11)
I attended a couple of Western Rams games back in version 1 of the ARC. Why? because they were supposedly a representation of the Western clubs that I have an affiliation to and played locally. There was also what appeared to be a fair representation from most of the clubs involved to gain my interest and I enjoyed it (the new rules helped too).

I'm not convinced that Version 2 is going to be a better product. Some of the affiliations between sworn enemies is liable to throw up god knows what in some of these ventures and people are meant to attend games because they may have 1 player from their club in a team if another club side dominates the JV. Am I going to go and watch Uni play Randwick at Parramatta Stadium in different jumpers just because they say they are representing the west? No.

I'm also not going to watch a Western team that is basically an Eastwood or Eastwood/Souths side with a couple of Wests, Penrith and Parramatta boys on the bench (maybe).

The ARU wants to copy the success of the ITM Cup that is based around local clubs supplying players to represent the district team. Therefore the Hawkes Bay or Manawatu faithful support them because they represent them, even if they bring in a ring in or two. They also have a geographical advantage in maintaining lower travel costs not to mention travel time, weather and historical rivalries. And did I forget to mention rugby is a tribal religion.

But what the ARU is proposing appears to be a lesser version of the Super 15 and based solely around financial viability (yes, that is common sense but without the passion that tribalism brings support is hard to buy and costly).

I would prefer the ARU look at what has served us well in producing 2 World Cup wins and invest long term in the clubs (not just 30-40K, although even that may not be left in the kitty) that have been supplying Wallabies and S15 players for a while now. Do we really need another level of paid players when we have state representative sides and there is already limited funds available in the ARU and the joint ventures are being entered by some clubs whose bottom lines are less than impressive. Get some administrators who can negotiate the political crap from the self interested parties. Keep it transparent, don't just provide handouts, set performance criteria in junior development and streamline the junior development pathways through the districts and then audit the outcomes. If a club like Uni manage to raise themselves to where they hold a significant advantage (and well done) then lower their allocation and redirect it to the other clubs and impose recruitment sanctions until parity is closer at hand and a more even competition provides the level of performance that is being sought through a 3T comp.

Creating a whole new competition just to give them a tougher contest and allow their second graders some more game time seems like a lot of hard work. Building on the existing product support would seem preferable to the gamble of starting from scratch but if they can find a way for these teams to honestly represent and area or group of supporters then it may have some chance.

PS# I can't say that the hurried EOI process and lack of information to most parties from headquarters fills me with confidence.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
ARU fields 41 expressions of NRC interest
ESPN Staff
January 16, 2014
The Australian Rugby Union (ARU) has received 41 Expressions of Interest from individuals, businesses, syndicates and existing clubs wanting to be to be involved in the inaugural National Rugby Championship (NRC), which will kick off in August. The expressions have been submitted from all states and the Australian Capital Territory, including from country New South Wales and country Queensland.
"This will be a truly national competition, and it's great to see we have more than 40 groups, clubs or individuals who could form syndicates with other organisations, partners and universities to compete," ARU chief executive Bill Pulver said.
"A formal tendering process has now begun and we will be in a position to announce the successful teams to contest the National Rugby Championship in early March."
The NRC Commission set up to establish the competition, chaired by independent sports consultant John Boultbee and including representatives from the ARU, the Rugby Union Players' Association, Super Rugby, Fox Sports and Foxtel, will now assess the tenders and select the appropriate teams. The teams will be selected according to a number of criteria including financial performance, professional team staffing structure and environment, commitment to player development, venue facilities, links to Super Rugby clubs, and current or potential fan base.
The ARU expects the competition to include eight to ten teams from major population centres, with teams from New South Wales, Queensland, Victoria, ACT and Western Australia expected to be represented.
The NRC will run annually at the end of Super Rugby and club rugby seasons, from August to October, to complement existing competitions such as Premier Rugby in Sydney and Queensland.

Read more at
http://www.espnscrum.com/australia/rugby/story/211237.html#172mBr3IG1I3Gz5I.99
A MIGHTY UNION
THREE Sydney groupings are among the 41 expressions of interest for the 8-10 spots in the first National Rugby Championship in August. Randwick, Easts and Southern Districts are keen to combine, with Eastwood, Parramatta and West Harbour joining forces. The other major Sydney grouping comprises Manly, Warringah, Northern Suburbs and Gordon. Sydney University want to stand alone.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I remember in the early 90's there was a report on each game in the Sunday paper.

Even here inside the inner sanctum of Australian Rugby Tragics, many SS games receive little coverage.

Lee Grant has marshalled to troops to produce a good roundup of match reporting from the AAGPS games and important schoolboy tournaments, proving it can be done.

If the premier rugby website has scant coverage of SS games, then what hope is there for coverage in the wider FTA market.

Even the bastion that is/was "Rugby News" has stopped producing hard copies of their publication. Not good signs.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Even here inside the inner sanctum of Australian Rugby Tragics, many SS games receive little coverage.
To be fair, a few of the clubs' supporters provide short reports of matches, generally on their own websites (including the Mighty Two Blues' inimitable Thommo), but it would be good to see a few more come to the party. Uni generally put up a report, and so do Warringah and Norths. I wonder if GAGR could get someone to summarise these reports each week (with proper attributions and links to the appropriate original source material).

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Reports of club matches are also usually given in the local papers of most clubs , e.g.The Manly Daily,The Western Suburbs Courier,The North Shore Times ,etc.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
<snip>

I wonder if GAGR could get someone to summarise these reports each week (with proper attributions and links to the appropriate original source material).

Good idea. Should also be extended to other regions as well.

Tasmanian Rugby gets good blog coverage thanks to @PatGarnham.
I enjoy reading the Southern Inland RU, and Far South Coast Match reports from the forum threads as well.
Thommos Mighty 2 Blues reports are always read.

Bottom line, in today's time poor environment, people will read club rugby match reports if it is made simple and easy to get to them.

Getting back on 3rd Tier Rugby topic, one hopes that the Pulverisers team have addressed how the "gospel" will be spread through on-line media, blogs, YouTube and other social media outlets.

G&GR may have an important role to play in this, noting that there has been a very active debate about the 3rd tier on these threads for quite some time.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Good idea. Should also be extended to other regions as well.

Tasmanian Rugby gets good blog coverage thanks to @PatGarnham.
I enjoy reading the Southern Inland RU, and Far South Coast Match reports from the forum threads as well.
Thommos Mighty 2 Blues reports are always read.

Bottom line, in today's time poor environment, people will read club rugby match reports if it is made simple and easy to get to them.

Getting back on 3rd Tier Rugby topic, one hopes that the Pulverisers team have addressed how the "gospel" will be spread through on-line media, blogs, YouTube and other social media outlets.

G&GR may have an important role to play in this, noting that there has been a very active debate about the 3rd tier on these threads for quite some time.
So easy to put a link to the clubs website.

T

Tigers Tale

ARU please just release who the teams will be so we can just get on with the rugby. All this who should and shouldn't be involved in the NRC and the effects on club and Sydney subbies rugby is getting boring. The fact is that ARC#2 will go ahead in 2014 so let's just name the 8/10 NRC sides and get on with the S15 & club seasons.

I know that they will be released in early March and I can't wait for them to do so.

Of more interest to me would be what side Sydney Uni will run out against Easts Brisbane (2013 QLD Premier Grade Premiers) on 22 March 2014 at Easts' home ground David Wilson Oval, Bottomley Park.

I appreciate that the Sydney Uni 2013 GF side would have contained a number of players that will be required for S15, whereas the only Easts players that will be involved in S15 game day squads would be Ed Quirk (Reds), Aidan Toua (Reds) & Jarrad Butler(Brumbies).

I wonder whether Bill Pulver will be making the trip to Brisbane to watch?

Tigers Tale

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I asked a question of the ARU about Jets' idea (in comments about the Under 20s blog) of live streaming their games and I got this answer.

We are in the process of negotiating a live streaming platform with YouTube.
This should be in operation shortly for matches and events throughout the ARU departments.
Thanks a lot for your feedback, it is appreciated.
Very hard working and dedicated office team here, all trying to promote the game!

I'd say with all those new comps the nitty gritty guys are working their arses off.

Anyway—"matches and events thoughout the ARU departments"— could mean that although only one NRC game is televised by Fox Sports per week it is possible that the other three will be available on YouTube.

Watch this space.

T

Tigers Tale

Just heard that the U20 tournament in Canberra will clash with the Easts Bne v Sydney Uni clash.

Status
Not open for further replies.