• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

A make over for Quade Cooper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Actually, just one more thing. Even if 'most Aussies (outside QLD) hate Cooper because he speaks very poorly and looks working-class,' what does that matter? Does anyone actually think players gets selected because of their public popularity? The idea that Cooper should hire a marketing firm to make him look better in the media is not only bizzare, it's completely idiotic. Do you guys seriously think that Cooper cares if a few people on the internet don't think he should play for the Wallabies?

T

TOCC

Actually, just one more thing. Even if 'most Aussies (outside QLD) hate Cooper because he speaks very poorly and looks working-class,' what does that matter? Does anyone actually think players gets selected because of their public popularity? The idea that Cooper should hire a marketing firm to make him look better in the media is not only bizzare, it's completely idiotic. Do you guys seriously think that Cooper cares if a few people on the internet don't think he should play for the Wallabies?

Bloody oath it does
The ARU cares about its public image, a player with a bad public image undoubtedly plays a small part at the selection table...

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Oh here we go again, it's everyone but Cooper's fault when he throws intercepts, kicks out of the full, gets charged down and throws forward passes.

Seriously, stop it. Just stop it now.

You are so horrendously biased on this issue you can't look at it objectively. You fling shit like the quotes above hoping it will stick with no evidence to back up that QC (Quade Cooper) is singularly responsible for losing us games at the test level.

In fact, the only stats out there prove the exact opposite. With QC (Quade Cooper) in Gold we are more likely to win. Fact.

M

Muttonbird

It really doesn't matter how he looks or acts off the field. He will be remembered for what he achieved on it.
No, it doesn't matter, or at least it shouldn't matter, what he speaks or looks like. It's what he says and does that matters and he rubs people up the wrong way with both. Bagging the the coach, fellow players and the entire ARU, along with Tweeting and Instagramming shirtless pictures of himself doesn't do much to endear himself to the rugby demographic.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
No, it doesn't matter, or at least it shouldn't matter, what he speaks or looks like. It's what he says and does that matters and he rubs people up the wrong way with both. Bagging the the coach, fellow players and the entire ARU, along with Tweeting and Instagramming shirtless pictures of himself doesn't do much to endear himself to the rugby demographic.
Agreed. He has not been very smart in the way he has conducted himself. But he seems to have a better understanding now of what is expected of him and appears to be on the right track. He deserves another chance.
As will KB (Kurtley Beale) when he gets sorted out.
Right now we need a squad to defeat the Lions.

M

Muttonbird

Yeah, he's got to be in the squad but what do you do? Start him and wait to see what he does and yank him if necessary? Not really a robust game plan.

Is he even going to listen to Deans? QC (Quade Cooper) wants to do it all and do it all his way. This can work a lot of the time at S15 level but I think we all agree tests are different. A certain amount of thrust and parry in both attack and defence is vital. He is all thrust, no parry.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Quade is a divisive figure, on field and off, that I am sure we can all agree. I am not sold that he is the best flyhalf in aussie by a large margin but at Super Rugby level he is our best, this year. His test rugby issues were encapsulated by bled 1 2011, a game I think history will show as where the cracks showed. Quade had completely alienated the kiwi public ( omg he hit Ruchie!), and wilted under mistakes and crowd pressure. Enigma code solved, how to defeat the most potent attack in world rugby. Must bring 35,000 angry kiwis however.

Quade will weigh heavily on Deans mind. Deans is the guy who backed him, gave him a shot, but right now Deans worry is about the Lions crucible, not just for Quade but many of the team. It's pressure rugby at its highest and Quade does not have a glowing record in tough test matches. But equally Quade is one of a very very short list of world flyhalves that is capable of completely shattering the defensive structure of elite teams.

I think Deans will be aiming to select Cooper for the first test after letting him play with the reds v lions.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
There are plenty of threads to argue with Qwerty about how Cooper plays. This thread is to discuss the merits of a make over!

Country Kid

Chris McKivat (8)
History V Present

By what criteria are players selected? Their history? Their current form. Or by some obscure equation that combines both.

For what it is worth I think Cooper's 2013 has been very solid - the steady hand but with ample dashes of attacking flair. And his 2013 maturity reflects his learning from past mistakes. If 2013 form is the most important criterion, then pick him.

Berrick Barnes has history too. But his past mistakes don't seem to weigh so heavily against him. He did good stuff last night - the first time in ages he had the 'air' of a winner (something Cooper has in bucket loads). But is that enough current form to select him?

If Cooper misses out because of factors unrelated to 2013 on-field performance, it will be a sad state of affairs.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
History V Present

By what criteria are players selected? Their history? Their current form. Or by some obscure equation that combines both.

For what it is worth I think Cooper's 2013 has been very solid - the steady hand but with ample dashes of attacking flair. And his 2013 maturity reflects his learning from past mistakes. If 2013 form is the most important criterion, then pick him.

Berrick Barnes has history too. But his past mistakes don't seem to weigh so heavily against him. He did good stuff last night - the first time in ages he had the 'air' of a winner (something Cooper has in bucket loads). But is that enough current form to select him?

If Cooper misses out because of factors unrelated to 2013 on-field performance, it will be a sad state of affairs.

I can't express in words how much I agree with this. Unfortunately Deans will probably see it in a different way...

M

Muttonbird

History V Present

As an AB fan I've always felt BB plays really well against the ABs and am more concerned with him in the Wallaby 15 than QC (Quade Cooper). I think BB's past mistakes don't weigh as heavily because he's a good bloke and a team player. Doesn't bag his forwards after a loss like QC (Quade Cooper) has been known to do.

Cooper is a work in progress and certainly has improved this year. I don't think you can pick the guy on 2013 on-field performance alone though. There is plenty that goes on at training, etc that we don't know about and it was just 12 months ago he went on TV slating the whole of Wallaby Rugby.

The make-over is not complete yet but if QC (Quade Cooper) does what he's told this year he could look like a real beauty-queen at the end of it.

M

Muttonbird

When has Quade bagged his forwards?
I watched a Bledisloe post match and QC (Quade Cooper) was put in front of the press and sullenly stated it was "hard for him to do his thing when the team didn't have front foot ball". I have paraphrased there but will try to find the actual footage and quote.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
I watched a Bledisloe post match and QC (Quade Cooper) was put in front of the press and sullenly stated it was "hard for him to do his thing when the team didn't have front foot ball". I have paraphrased there but will try to find the actual footage and quote.

A bit out of line but hardly bagging his forwards... It's the captain and coaches place to say that kind of thing.

Again, he has come a long way since then

M

Muttonbird

Agreed, he was younger and obviously under the acute pressure he felt vs the ABs at that time. It was the fighting-with-Richie era.

Pretty sure the Wallaby set-up will not be putting him in front of the camera anytime soon.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Agreed, he was younger and obviously under the acute pressure he felt vs the ABs at that time. It was the fighting-with-Richie era.

Pretty sure the Wallaby set-up will not be putting him in front of the camera anytime soon.

Funnily enough, he speaks better than Deans. Deans is a very average speaker and is not convincing whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.