• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AAGPS (NSW) Rowing 2013 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Top bit of research, I notice, in the programme that 1930 was "Declared no race". That was when the race was on the Parramatta River.
If this rule still applied they would have been enforcing it 30 years ago !!

We (SGS) were always told that it was SBHS that had breached the rule by training on Sundays.
I guess it was a family secret.

G

gogoldenbears

Can someone confirm/bust a rumour that the St Joseph's 1st & 2nd IVs jumped into an VIII and towelled the 1st & 2nd VIII over 2km?!

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Top bit of research, I notice, in the programme that 1930 was "Declared no race". That was when the race was on the Parramatta River.
If this rule still applied they would have been enforcing it 30 years ago !!
My understanding was that Grammar took two days off before the race and did some full time training. What undid Sydney Boys' High was that one of the crew had pretty much been rowing 'professionally' and had failed to to re-enrol in time as a fulltime student. You have to remember amateurism was a respected concept then. Anyone who has seen "Charriots of Fire" about the 1924 Olympics will know what I mean. Joeys were offered the right to take first but rejected it saying that if they hadn't crossed the line first well then bugger it they won't take it. The Old Boys of Kings put in a good word for High and offered to accept the High boys as honorary Old Boys. Good old controversy at the best of times! Lance Armstrong eat your heart out! Good to see everyone now chomping at the bit to get o see a race. That'll be the only way to judge something. As they say, The HOTR is won over the break...
I think the rumour about the Joeys four outracing the senior VIIIs is about fanciful as New winning the HOTR. Oops but grab that umbrella again!

The Yugoslavian Wolf

Herbert Moran (7)
Hi Guys,

Great to be back after a long break away from the threads, hope you all enjoyed your christmas and new year. Unfortunately i think it unviable to put down Newington's chances of winning Head of the River, from my own brothers mouth it seems that from their training camps over the period, the've stepped up their game, but lets see how it all goes on Saturday, hey fellas? But from what I've seen whilst having a good look at the other crews in my speedy, all the schools seem to have developed and slightly changed over the past two months. I hope the less consisten schools pick themselves up and give Shore a go. Im speaking directly of the Scots boys, Grammar, Kings and Newington fellas. These guys all have the potential, I dont think Shore is unbreakable, and id really like to see a great race, especially from Newington, seeing as it is their 150th year, the celebrations of which were today. Shore may come into the race a bit cocky, after their success in all three top 8's races last year, and this is the best time to strike. Have a shot fellas, and tell me if im wrong.

Wolf Out.

The GPS Rower

Herbert Moran (7)
Hi Guys,

Great to be back after a long break away from the threads, hope you all enjoyed your christmas and new year. Unfortunately i think it unviable to put down Newington's chances of winning Head of the River, from my own brothers mouth it seems that from their training camps over the period, the've stepped up their game, but lets see how it all goes on Saturday, hey fellas? But from what I've seen whilst having a good look at the other crews in my speedy, all the schools seem to have developed and slightly changed over the past two months. I hope the less consisten schools pick themselves up and give Shore a go. Im speaking directly of the Scots boys, Grammar, Kings and Newington fellas. These guys all have the potential, I dont think Shore is unbreakable, and id really like to see a great race, especially from Newington, seeing as it is their 150th year, the celebrations of which were today. Shore may come into the race a bit cocky, after their success in all three top 8's races last year, and this is the best time to strike. Have a shot fellas, and tell me if im wrong.

Wolf Out.

mate, you are obviously a newington fan, but lets not be unreasonable in our posts. Shore will row their famous race: long, good catches, weak finish. AND THIS WILL WIN IT FOR THEM AGAIN AND AGAIN!

G

gogoldenbears

mate, you are obviously a newington fan, but lets not be unreasonable in our posts. Shore will row their famous race: long, good catches, weak finish. AND THIS WILL WIN IT FOR THEM AGAIN AND AGAIN!

Ken St Heaps (RIP) gone. Nick Loyd gone. Michael Doyle gone. Bob Shirlaw gone. HOTR clean sweeps gone. You might have a little confidence after a few pre season races but I'd say things are going to slowly but surely wind down for your school over the next few years pal. But don't take my word for it, live in the moment of it. Like Jay did.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
Ken St Heaps (RIP) gone. Nick Loyd gone. Michael Doyle gone. Bob Shirlaw gone. HOTR clean sweeps gone. You might have a little confidence after a few pre season races but I'd say things are going to slowly but surely wind down for your school over the next few years pal. But don't take my word for it, live in the moment of it. Like Jay did.
You may make light of some of the great coaches that are no longer in the shed - the greatest Gary Ubergang is still there. Anyway the biggest challenge for Shore is not coaches but changing demographics as Mosman and the Northern Beaches become more dominant.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
You may make light of some of the great coaches that are no longer in the shed - the greatest Gary Ubergang is still there. Anyway the biggest challenge for Shore is not coaches but changing demographics as Mosman and the Northern Beaches become more dominant.
I'm intrigued.
Are they peopled by lesser rowing genetics?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

G

gogoldenbears

I don't get it. What about the demographics on Lower North Shore and Northern Beaches? More migrants from Sri Lanka and the Middle East?

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
but they're on the same techtonic plate - surely gladesville and mosman are the same distance apart as they were in 1978..:)
Diminishing North Shore numbers and increasing Northern Beaches for the distance bit and I am not going to touch the Mosman issue without incurring moderator wraith.

HOTRwinner

Frank Nicholson (4)
Overheard some of the view boys on the river, i know that some of their older eights are keeping the same rate as new. Their coach thinks that the view boys are up for second of third. They are aiming high!! Newington 1st 4 are looking pretty bloody good, many hoping that they place. ONly 5 weeks boys.. geee uppppp

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
Overheard some of the view boys on the river, i know that some of their older eights are keeping the same rate as new. Their coach thinks that the view boys are up for second of third. They are aiming high!! Newington 1st 4 are looking pretty bloody good, many hoping that they place. ONly 5 weeks boys.. geee uppppp

good prediction, i do think that they could place and if the summer training had gone accordingly well they could stick it to shore for that matter!

there has been a switch around of coaches in the new 4's which means last years 2nd 8 coach is now coaching the 1st 4. They are a new crew and their performance this weekend should be closely watched

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
The old chestnut of the distance issue.

With Riverview and Joeys winning the First VIII zero times in the past 37 attempts i'm not sure that issue is real valid.
I know of boys/parents who have cited this reason for not continuing from Yr10 to senior crews (Newport/Gladesville during peak hour is a long trip). Boys who think they have a chance of 1st VIII will continue but overall numbers are weaker (no 3rd VIII, and 3rd/4th fours have not won since 2008).

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
I know of boys/parents who have cited this reason for not continuing from Yr10 to senior crews (Newport/Gladesville during peak hour is a long trip). Boys who think they have a chance of 1st VIII will continue but overall numbers are weaker (no 3rd VIII, and 3rd/4th fours have not won since 2008).

since 2008 is not that bad, check out newington's fours!

Status
Not open for further replies.