• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

erossi93

Allen Oxlade (6)
Actually I think Ashgrove 06 team was not all that talented I think however they were unbeaten because they were very disciplined and just strangled other teams. The Ashgrove 05 team were very good - they had a big and very well drilled set of forwards and slick backs. They supplied the entire AIC I backline. Between about 2002 and 2006 when Ashgrove was unbeaten they probably only had 2 really good teams (2002 & 2005?) however they were very hard to beat as they played a very structured pattern and gave opposing teams few very opportunities. They were fantastic at holding onto the ball and just wearing other teams out. They also defended very well. In 2003 for example they narrowly beat a St Laurences team that had Liam Bibo (Australian Schools player) in the centres, even though they were pretty ordinary in terms of talent.

As well as this the points made by the post above are correct in terms that the "league schools" found this highly structured rugby very hard to break. They would often go very well for 20 or 30 minutes and then Ashgrove would just break them.

I think now several schools (St Patricks, St Edmunds & Padua in particular) have improved greatly as "rugby schools" and this togther with a drop in talent (& coaching?) at Ashgrove has improved the competition. I guess another interesting side to this is where the more traditional rugby schools (St Laurences, St Peters, Villanova & Iona) fit in the brave new AIC world.

St Laurence's are in a similar position as Marist these days I reckon, they are on the decline but they are still a very strong rugby union based school in the AIC. As for St Peters, they are rising slowly but only in their older grades such as Firsts. Villanova are doing well, they have produced good first teams in the last few years. Iona had a struggle for the last two years but they seem to be coming back on the rise. Now if we look at the overall rugby union progression of each school since the AIC has started, it is fair to say that Eddies and Padua have come a long way. This can be justified by looking at the progression in the Aggregate results since 1998. Back in the early years, Padua was always finishing around 6th to 8th in the rugby aggregate. Now they are challenging top 4 each year. In 2006, Padua finished 7th in the agreggate, the following year in 2007 they finished 4th in the aggregate. And since then they haven't dropped their aggregate placing below 5th for rugby. Eddies has dramatically improved, in the years of 2007-2009 they finished around 6th or 7th in the aggregate. Last year they finished 2nd and knocked off lauries. Lauries dropped down to 4th for the first time in years. And the overall points that Ashgrove achieved was lower. In the year of 2005, I believe that Ashgrove managed to win the AIC rugby aggregate by over 100 points and won every other aggregate that year as well. Therefore, we can confidently say that the AIC has come a long way from the first years. All schools are no longer struggling and it is good to see this. I would to say that all the information about aggregate placings I mentioned above came from the information provided by aic tables on school websites as well. So yeah that's just my overview :D

macdaddy

Stan Wickham (3)
St Laurence's are in a similar position as Marist these days I reckon, they are on the decline but they are still a very strong rugby union based school in the AIC. As for St Peters, they are rising slowly but only in their older grades such as Firsts. Villanova are doing well, they have produced good first teams in the last few years. Iona had a struggle for the last two years but they seem to be coming back on the rise. Now if we look at the overall rugby union progression of each school since the AIC has started, it is fair to say that Eddies and Padua have come a long way. This can be justified by looking at the progression in the Aggregate results since 1998. Back in the early years, Padua was always finishing around 6th to 8th in the rugby aggregate. Now they are challenging top 4 each year. In 2006, Padua finished 7th in the agreggate, the following year in 2007 they finished 4th in the aggregate. And since then they haven't dropped their aggregate placing below 5th for rugby. Eddies has dramatically improved, in the years of 2007-2009 they finished around 6th or 7th in the aggregate. Last year they finished 2nd and knocked off lauries. Lauries dropped down to 4th for the first time in years. And the overall points that Ashgrove achieved was lower. In the year of 2005, I believe that Ashgrove managed to win the AIC rugby aggregate by over 100 points and won every other aggregate that year as well. Therefore, we can confidently say that the AIC has come a long way from the first years. All schools are no longer struggling and it is good to see this. I would to say that all the information about aggregate placings I mentioned above came from the information provided by aic tables on school websites as well. So yeah that's just my overview :D

Expanding on this Pats and Lauries have appear to be on the decline. Granted last years Pats team with a bit of luck and if a few things went there way in terms of availability and injury may very well have contested a premiership but this years firsts haven't won a game and in all likelihood probably won't win a game. More alarming for them their 15A's havent had a win either, while I won't rule them out as doomed, their future is not looking bright.

As for Lauries, a traditional powerhouse in this comp they have also been on the decline. Historically they have been in the mix for first xv premierships since the start of the AIC but over the last 2 years, 2 wins from their last 12 AIC games and not a win in the 13A's, 14A's, 15A's or 1st Xv on the weekend against Padua. Their dominance would appear to be slipping away

V

Viss

Good hustle erossi93, thats some quality stuff. Speaking of aggregates, who is on track to take out 1 to 8 this year for the overall aggregate?

V

Viss

Expanding on this Pats and Lauries have appear to be on the decline. Granted last years Pats team with a bit of luck and if a few things went there way in terms of availability and injury may very well have contested a premiership but this years firsts haven't won a game and in all likelihood probably won't win a game. More alarming for them their 15A's havent had a win either, while I won't rule them out as doomed, their future is not looking bright.

As for Lauries, a traditional powerhouse in this comp they have also been on the decline. Historically they have been in the mix for first xv premierships since the start of the AIC but over the last 2 years, 2 wins from their last 12 AIC games and not a win in the 13A's, 14A's, 15A's or 1st Xv on the weekend against Padua. Their dominance would appear to be slipping away
I beg to differ in terms of St. Patrick's rugby as a whole. Yes, the 15s age group at the moment is one of the worst to go through the school in a while but the sides around it are shaping up as well as the 2011 1st XV. The 13A's and 14A's in particular, looking like sides to watch for the future. The 13A's have played well all season, narrowly going down to Marist 10-7 due to a neck injury of a player at half time causing the game to be called off, the 13B's are undefeated and have put nearly 40 points on every team they have played. The 14A's belted Marist, 40odd-12 in a game which I can personally say St Pat's never looked like losing and the 14B's have not lost a game either.

Last year St Patrick's did not win a game in AIC against St Eddies, this year they won 8 out of 15. The culture as a whole is starting to change at Pats, the support is as strong as it always has been but the quality of coaching in particular has allowed the school to push forward, a true test will come against the might of Padua this weekend.

macdaddy

Stan Wickham (3)
I beg to differ in terms of St. Patrick's rugby as a whole. Yes, the 15s age group at the moment is one of the worst to go through the school in a while but the sides around it are shaping up as well as the 2011 1st XV. The 13A's and 14A's in particular, looking like sides to watch for the future. The 13A's have played well all season, narrowly going down to Marist 10-7 due to a neck injury of a player at half time causing the game to be called off, the 13B's are undefeated and have put nearly 40 points on every team they have played. The 14A's belted Marist, 40odd-12 in a game which I can personally say St Pat's never looked like losing and the 14B's have not lost a game either.

Last year St Patrick's did not win a game in AIC against St Eddies, this year they won 8 out of 15. The culture as a whole is starting to change at Pats, the support is as strong as it always has been but the quality of coaching in particular has allowed the school to push forward, a true test will come against the might of Padua this weekend.

Padua and Pats this weekend will be good. Both of last year's first xv teams were stacked with year 12's and there are simply too many fringe players this year that are just not upto it for both sides. Its hurting the 2nd year 1st xv players chances of representative honours as they just don't have a supporting cast. The mettle (or lack of)of both sides will be on display this weekend as there will be no hiding for either sets of players with a big crowd in a big rivalry. To the future

Over 13A's, 14a's and 15A's Padua have lost a combined 2 games from 15 so they will be quite formidable when they come together in opens. Pats will probably be the same, so it may be a couple of years till we see a repeat in the potential of the 2011 sides

erossi93

Allen Oxlade (6)
Good hustle erossi93, thats some quality stuff. Speaking of aggregates, who is on track to take out 1 to 8 this year for the overall aggregate?

Based on the current results from the first 5 rounds of the AIC competition, this is what I think the aggregate positions will look like by the end of the season.

1st. Marist College Ashgrove
2nd. St Edmund's College
3rd. Padua College or Iona College
4th. Padua College or Iona College
5th. St. Laurence's College
6th. Villanova College
7th. St Patrick's College
8th. St Peter's Lutheran College

Note that there are still 2 rounds remaining, and anything can happen. 3rd to 5th place will be very close, only a 5-10 point margin between the 3 spots. The next two rounds are shown below.

Round 6 -
Marist College Ashgrove Vs. Villanova College
St Peter's Lutheran College Vs. St Edmund's College
St Laurence's College Vs. Iona College
Padua College Vs. St Patrick's College

Round 7 -
St Patrick's College Vs. Villanova College
Iona College Vs. St Edmund's College
Marist College Ashgrove Vs. Padua College
St Peter's Lutheran College Vs. St Laurence's College

V

Viss

Padua and Pats this weekend will be good. Both of last year's first xv teams were stacked with year 12's and there are simply too many fringe players this year that are just not upto it for both sides. Its hurting the 2nd year 1st xv players chances of representative honours as they just don't have a supporting cast. The mettle (or lack of)of both sides will be on display this weekend as there will be no hiding for either sets of players with a big crowd in a big rivalry. To the future

Over 13A's, 14a's and 15A's Padua have lost a combined 2 games from 15 so they will be quite formidable when they come together in opens. Pats will probably be the same, so it may be a couple of years till we see a repeat in the potential of the 2011 sides
It would be definitely good to see those two sides up there again at 1st XV level, the hype around Pats last year about that team was nothing I had ever seen before in my time as a student at the school.

H

Hashone

Simon Mikaele, Heta Manuel?
Do you know anything? They're old boys of Eddies since grade 8 imports? Eddies haven't imported anyone maybe it's just that the fact that they're taking they're rugby more seriously? Andrew Manu has been at Eddies since grade 8, Kyle blackman came to eddies from west mac for future pathways program and Wilson has come from West mac and Perese got expelled from Nudge...

Hooker4life

Frank Row (1)
Slightly behind the time frame mentioned but in my opinion Marist team of '06 would have it on any of the sides mentioned above.
Cheers for the insight back a few more years as unfortunately I'm only very familiar with the standings in the competition since 2008 as this is when I began following 1st XV rugby with interest. It appears as though the period of major ashgrove dominance began to end around 07/08? Also I do agree with other comments stating that villa in 2010 would beat the better 2012 sides due to their ability right across the paddock. Interesting that many schools have one-off brilliant teams and then not-so-great teams in the following years such as Iona in 09/10 and villa 10/11. I guess it's just a matter of development from a young age both at club and school level and then a team who mould perfectly by the time they make firsts. Also who won the comp in 2007?

I

iluvfooty

god i hate tied premierships, i really think there should be a finals format to determine 1 clear winner.

also i really dont see why they dont have aic rugby league in term 3. term 2 rugby is to short and it would give the boys something new to play instead of basketball. i mean if they can have afl then why not league. the skills they learn in league would benefit their union game (tacking, ball running) and it would be interesting to see some of the "non traditional" league schools give it a crack.

macdaddy

Stan Wickham (3)
god i hate tied premierships, i really think there should be a finals format to determine 1 clear winner.

also i really dont see why they dont have aic rugby league in term 3. term 2 rugby is to short and it would give the boys something new to play instead of basketball. i mean if they can have afl then why not league. the skills they learn in league would benefit their union game (tacking, ball running) and it would be interesting to see some of the "non traditional" league schools give it a crack.

it will happen eventually but it may take 10 to 15 years

3DD!3$01D80Y

I believe Eddies will be good in rugby for a couple more years. My evidence of backing this up is that the 15 A's and 14 A's are undefeated. Also the 15 A's have 2 QLD centres (Carter Auld and Izaia Perese). Eddies 14 A's beat Ashgrove's 14 A's 34-5. The 13 A's have not been that successful, with them winning none of their games yet, but I believe just like the 15 A's and this years first (who only won one game when they were in 13 A's) the 13 A's will be a successful 1st xv side.

bsparx

Herbert Moran (7)
Yes it is true that eddies are rising in the game, and it is true Ashgroves game is declining. Ash 15As and 14As have not been the strongest. But Their 16As have been undefeated so far knocking out main contenders for the premiership Iona and Lauries. Note that this was done without 4 key players in the team who played firsts. The 13As would be a side to watch in the future because of their fowards who look to be the biggest in their comp and a very slick back line who still have lots to learn like other 13 year old players. Ash have a lot of work to do in their 14As and 15As if they don't want to loose 2 premierships in a row. With that said about eddies, long were the days where ash trained hard and looked foward to a tough match against old foes Lauries, now eddies bring a shrivel.

stevet

Stan Wickham (3)
Anyone know when the Qld U16 team is named. Ashgrove have a number of players such as Henry Devine 12, Mitch Trealeaven?15, Ryan Haling 3 and Sam Clarke 7. All of whom are in the first fifteen. Peters whos 1st have a very young back line include bennett 14, Adrian 15 12, kepa 9 & Enoch 13.I'm not sure about the rest but Lauries number nine looks to be 16 and has a great boot.These players have been impressive against boys much older and and experienced. I think Adrian had the u15 qld fullback spot last year for league with counterpart enoch somewhere in it too. Devine who is in the nts and Sam Clarke would have a great shot at the team. Not sure about the gps blokes but as usual, selectors would have their eyes over them more. Would light give us an insight on u16 gps boys that would contest against the names listed.
I know Andrew Tully 1, Harley Fox 5, Jake Redman?7 and Jake Turpin 10 for Eddies were all apart of the victorious U15 Metwest side last year with the first three making the U15 Junior Gold High Performance camp which is probably where selectors will have a list of must watch players from.

bsparx

Herbert Moran (7)
Yep stevet that is true, The backline in met west included splc players Adrian, Bennett and kepa. They won against met north which included many players from ashgrove. I would not be surprised to see many AIC lads make over the gps boys.

erossi93

Allen Oxlade (6)

Rugby League in AIC would be awesome. Term 3 sport along with another sport, maybe make water polo a full time aggregate sport. I think in the past they have tried to introduce it but it has never come through.

David Connors

Sydney Middleton (9)
Rugby League in AIC would be awesome. Term 3 sport along with another sport, maybe make water polo a full time aggregate sport. I think in the past they have tried to introduce it but it has never come through.
i think they used to play league back in the 1950s but obviously not in AIC

B

BrisbaneRugby93

Iona was a "league" school until 1987, and was entering teams in local competitions as recent as 2005.

Saecom

Peter Burge (5)
League was the original football code in the very early days of TAS (early 1950s). Then TAS went to rugby and then sometime in the late 70s or early 1980s they began admitting other schools until it became the two tier competition Blue (First Div) and Red (Second Div). Some schools (Ashgrove & St Laurences) fielded in both divisions and for a period there were finals in rugby. Certainly there were in the late 1980s as I remember in 1989 St Laurences went undefeated through the regular season and then won the major semi-final over Ashgrove only to have Ashgrove beat them in the Grand Final in a tryless game. I think they used to play all the way down too eg 1 v 2, 3 v 4, 5 v 6 etc. I am not sure why it disappeared but I think one of the issues was the number of fights and bad behaviour in these games. Also different ages played at different venues so the idea of "one whole school playing another whole school" did not happen during finals which many people (parents esp) did not like.

In 1996 or 1997 (?) the Heads of the current AIC schools broke away from TAS (as it had become a bit of a shambles with too many schools & co-ed etc etc) and set up AIC.

As for League I really can't see that happening anytime soon. League does not have a great image and I imagine Headmasters are very sensitive about this and keeping a point of difference between them and the local high school. Whether we like it or not running a school is a business and parents are paying for children to attend and thus schools are in competition with each other for enrolments. Like it or not Rugby carries with it a certain image (look at the GPS schools) and it is a good image for most schools re enrolments. As well as this you have the pressure from old boys many of whom would not want League at their old school.

I remember when Iona came into TAS and all the angst there at them playing rah-rah however I am pretty sure the Catholic schools league comp had become very violent and pretty much fallen apart. Iona want regular competition in a variety of sports and very quickly became competitive in Rugby. I think they won the TAS 1st XV outright in 1990 or 1991 (?). They had a couple of very dedicated & talented coaches who brought that enthusiasm to the players. Sounds like what is happening at St Edmunds now perhaps?

Padua is a similar story however they seem a bit more determined to hang on to the League connection through Confraternity ??

Anyway that is a quick history lesson for some of the younger readers ...

Status
Not open for further replies.