• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pick and go

Good to see some clarification and can put this matter to bed, just couldn't stand the blissful ignorance of those who let pride stand in the way of honesty. If it happens to be in the form of a 115KG one-man wrecking crew one year that's fine, and if its a non-athlete another year that's fine also as it's a great opportunity for education. Finally, how long has the Eales one being running for and has there been a recipient who has not represented the 1st XV?
In 2008 is when the program started and Salop FAlemaka? I think thats it, oh well he started out in the 2nds in trials then i think he eventually got to the 1's. As for tongaa maafu and tevita they both made firsts and would anyone agree with me in saying that maafu was unlucky on missing out on Aus schools A?

macdaddy

Stan Wickham (3)
In 2008 is when the program started and Salop FAlemaka? I think thats it, oh well he started out in the 2nds in trials then i think he eventually got to the 1's. As for tongaa maafu and tevita they both made firsts and would anyone agree with me in saying that maafu was unlucky on missing out on Aus schools A?

I believe he was unlucky. Achilles heel was effort in scrums at times but other than that phenomenal and probably the most destructive ball runner in recent memory

B

Biffking

I think in overall quality of the grass and fields, Villa takes the cake. That is being quite pretentious, however.

1. Ashgrove is always an intimidating place to play given the isolation of the main field and the fact that the stands are almost always full of Ashgrove boys however opposing players are given a bit of relief in the fact the supporters aren't right on top you calling you colorful names.

2. Villa as mentioned has great facilities and a great setup yet is still slightly intimidating if you go anywhere near the right side of the grand stand as the students are pretty relentless and always pretty loud and are right on top of you.

3. In my experience, I've found Lauries an annoying place to watch footy as the hill there isn't really big enough to get a good view from the distance of the fence, however, an intimidating place to play. Have vivid memories of having garbage hurled at a group of opposing students a while ago.

4. Iona has good vantage points from all around thus providing a great viewing experience. Not a fan of playing on dust.

5. Peters has good vantage points and has a good atmosphere.

6. Eddies is good for watching and is mostly a good atmosphere.

7. Padua is very flat, and unless you get a seat in the grand stand isn't much fun for watching. Fields are pretty average too.

8. Pats rates the worst for me. While it is pretty good for watching, I've witnessed some incidents involving Pats students which just completely ruins the place for me.

1. Marist, nice stadium, good seating

2. Peters, great to play at and watch

3. Villa, great fields and facilities

4. Pats, great atmosphere with supporters crowded around whole field, fields generally good

5. Padua, P-dub have average fields and not many options for seating

6. Lauries, terrible layout for opposition supporters, too far away from field, fields average

7. Iona, no facilities at all for opposition, can't even afford an away team change room. Fields terrible with a cricket pitch in the middle

8. Eddies, nowhere decent to watch the game from, terrible location, dusty as an afghan village, hard, shocking grounds in the middle of nowhere. Would rather play on concrete

David Connors

Sydney Middleton (9)
getting back to the rugby being played this weekend

Lauries vs Iona at Runcorn
Ashgrove vs Villa at Ashgrove
Peters vs Eddies at Peters (match of the round)
Padua vs Pats at Banyo

thoughts??

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
OK Macdaddy now you will have opened a can or worms .....

I have looked through the Australian Schoolboys Rugby website and come up with this list of AIC players that have represented at "schools" level to keep it to 1st XV level - apologies in advance if I have missed any - I have added a brief note if I remember anything about them ...

1998 Australian Schoolboys
J.Ahlberg (Ash) - ??
R.Doherty (Iona) - very fast outside back, great sprinter
A.Elphinstone (Ash) - great backrower
P.Sheedy (Ash) - Halfback (I think?)
D.Heenan (Ash) - lock - more later
M.Tabrett (SLC) - wonderful fullback - tragically passed away several years ago .. RIP
A.Mathison (Ash) - prop

Ahlberg was a flanker, and the only one of the 5 Ashgrove reps on the UK tour not to make the Test XV.

Sheedy was a halfback, played NRL for the Storm then switched back to Rugby and played for the Waratahs in Super 14.

Banger

Frank Nicholson (4)
Firstly, I find your posts to be the most knowledgeable and least biased. I find it interesting to see where the best of this competition ranks amongst each other. AIC was clearly a lot stronger during its early years, but I do think recent times have produced a more competitive competition rather than 2-3 teams blowing out everyone else. surely the unpredictability of the competition is a lot more entertaining and interesting. In terms of opening a can of worms this will really set off the ashgrove purists. Lets not beat around the bush here, Ashgrove were virtually a juggernaut up until 2007 and no one ever questioned recruitment or rugby scholarships, but over the last few years the question keeps coming up and is quickly refuted aggressively by just about anyone who wore blue and yellow. Let's face it, on these threads has anyone ever accused lauries or iona or villa etc. of recruiting? I am hoping someone will share light on the situation or do tongan boys somehow by the mysteries of the universe end up in an ashgrove uniform.
I think St Laurence's player, Anthony Grigson, was captain of Australian Schools in 1984
http://austschools.rugbynet.com.au/verve/_resources/AUSTRALIAN_SCHOOLBOYS_BY_YEAR.pdf
Good link to players by years and shows their schools.

erossi93

Allen Oxlade (6)
getting back to the rugby being played this weekend

Lauries vs Iona at Runcorn
Ashgrove vs Villa at Ashgrove
Peters vs Eddies at Peters (match of the round)
Padua vs Pats at Banyo

thoughts??

Iona to win by 14.
Ashgrove to win by 12.
Eddies to win by 5.
Padua to win by 17.

Red Black

Larry Dwyer (12)
If you search my posts you will know I am not an Ashgrove lover (or hater for that mind). I honestly do not know if Ashgrove offer scholarships or recruit at the moment. I also won't comment about whether St Edmunds or St Peters or anyone else does this at the moment as I simply will not speculate when I do not know ...

I would be VERY confident however that Ashgrove (or any other AIC schools) DID NOT offer scholarships in 1998 or thereabouts ... someone connected with Ashgrove told me at the time that when Nudgee saw how good Heenan was in 1998 (when I think he was in Yr 11?) they tried to get him over there but I believe he was a boarder and all the family had to Ashgrove etc .. so he stayed at Ashgrove and I am sure paid fees like every other AIC player ....
Being a relative of Danny Heenan I can confirm that he was offered a scholarship by Nudgee but did choose to stay at Ashgrove as a boarder
The rest of his family went to Downlands/Terrace

Rugby Ball

Allen Oxlade (6)
So on the topic of atmosphere at games, what are the best games of the year in terms of the atmosphere? Marist Vs. Lauries? Villa Vs. Lauries? Padua Vs. St Pats? Iona Vs. Villa? Just some examples.
Iona vs Villa, old boys day over 200 old boys attended and there was a tunnel atleast 90m long shoulder to shoulder with lots and lots of support at Iona

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)

Just to clarify this. The Tongan scholarship program started in 2007 when the 1st and 2nd XV from Marist first toured Tonga. Salopa Falemaka was given the John Eales scholarship in 2007 as a yr 11 student where he played mostly in the 2nds and then obviously went to school and played rugby again in yr 12. On a side note, from my reports of these Tonga tours there is some tough opposition and it has been evident that the students picked for the scholarships are not the best players available but also display the right attributes to actually graduate and study etc. Of course they always do turn out to be handy players as well.

As an Ashgrove old boy I have no problem in admitting this is happening and to be honest, I think its a good cause and would be happy if more schools did something similar. I think offering opportunities to those who may not be offered the same education or in this case also sporting exposure is a great cause. There is a difference between offering someone a better education/way of life and just picking established students/players from other schools to build a 'super team'. This isn't to say living in Tonga and the Pacific Islands isn't nice (they are wonderful places) but you know what I mean.

Also I read something above about players from AIC schools (Ashgrove specifically was mentioned) being poached by GPS schools. If this is happening at Ashgrove then there must be an issue with the rugby culture as I know in the years of 2002-2007 there were several attempts from GPS schools to poach ashgrove players (notably I think Alex Tallon, Michael Lynagh and Dan Early who all played 3 years of 1sts) but they turned down offers to stay at the school.

B

Biffking

Iona to win by 14.
Ashgrove to win by 12.
Eddies to win by 5.
Padua to win by 17.

2/4 correct,you get a C+. You seem to have made the rookie mistake of choosing the wrong teams. Scores are about right though.

P

pick and go

Just to clarify this. The Tongan scholarship program started in 2007 when the 1st and 2nd XV from Marist first toured Tonga. Salopa Falemaka was given the John Eales scholarship in 2007 as a yr 11 student where he played mostly in the 2nds and then obviously went to school and played rugby again in yr 12. On a side note, from my reports of these Tonga tours there is some tough opposition and it has been evident that the students picked for the scholarships are not the best players available but also display the right attributes to actually graduate and study etc. Of course they always do turn out to be handy players as well.

As an Ashgrove old boy I have no problem in admitting this is happening and to be honest, I think its a good cause and would be happy if more schools did something similar. I think offering opportunities to those who may not be offered the same education or in this case also sporting exposure is a great cause. There is a difference between offering someone a better education/way of life and just picking established students/players from other schools to build a 'super team'. This isn't to say living in Tonga and the Pacific Islands isn't nice (they are wonderful places) but you know what I mean.

Also I read something above about players from AIC schools (Ashgrove specifically was mentioned) being poached by GPS schools. If this is happening at Ashgrove then there must be an issue with the rugby culture as I know in the years of 2002-2007 there were several attempts from GPS schools to poach ashgrove players (notably I think Alex Tallon, Michael Lynagh and Dan Early who all played 3 years of 1sts) but they turned down offers to stay at the school.
if you look at this years marist team they have lost a number of players. Ethan Machin (half scholarship to churchie) joe kendall to bshs. then you have a whole list of players who have left, bill pendlebury, michael cochrane, tumua setefano, kurt nuske, isaac rokeby. When all these boys were in the team which was U14's, they were the standouts of the comp (went through undefeated). When all thos players left in under 15's their team ran 3rd i think that year? then they rebuilt won the 16's comp undefeated (which is a bit easier considering other schools with yr 11's in first xv) and now they knocked off the competition favourites eddies this year. What your saying is the rugby culture is gone, it actually hasn't, it has just taken a massive blow and ashgrove have rebuilt, so credit to them

F

Fascinated observer

Peters, Eddies and Ashgrove going for a three-way tie. coincidentally the only teams that have imported.. interesting.
I am getting really tired of people saying eddies import players, and implying that's how they have won. All bar 3 of the players have been at the school most or all of their high school years, and one of those 3 has been there for 2 years now. Eddies do 't give scholarships they ame to eddies for the school not he sport.It is purely the hard work of local boys playing for the school with natural talent, and the effort of their coach Dave Miles and his team. If you look at the history of the team it has always been coming. Most of the year 12's now were members of the premiership winning 15A's 2 years ago, and also that year an undefeated tour of New Zealand. Then they were also members of the team who shared the premiership last year. So no it is not imports doing it for Eddies it is hard work and home grown talent.

KVG91

Stan Wickham (3)
Saecom, absolutely love your work. I would love to have a beer with you and hear some of your anecdotes regarding AIC and TAS rugby, regardless that you probably have a good 30 years on me. As for scholarships and recruiting, I can’t provide input on Eddies or any other schools but I do know some information about St.Peters. As mentioned before by someone (I can’t remember who) Peters, Ashgrove and Nudgee are all part of the Indigenous Education Scheme. Thus, people who are claiming these schools are handing out scholarships left right and centre need to be corrected. Now, I am by no way stating the Nudgee firm does not hand out scholarships, but a lot of there boys are enrolled due to the scheme. Furthermore, StPeters have a fair amount of aboriginal girls who obviously do not play AIC rugby. These girls are also on this scheme. All of these students are boarders. In terms of PNG boys, Peters have had a long association with PNG, with many Lutheran missionaries correlating to some boys coming down to Brisbane and attending a lutheran boarding school. I’m sure some of the older heads will recall that many SPLC teams of the late 90’s-early 2000’s had a whole cast of PNG boarders in this team.

As for this weekend, I am very much looking forward to it. Many great games and rivalries to be had, wish the season was longer!

Also regarding the introduction of Downlands and AIC schools playing a GPS school on its bye, Great idea. Some real good rivalries such as Marist v Terrace, Peters v BBC, Eddies v IGS, Villa v Churchie etc would just increase the rivalry, competition and atmosphere of Schoolboy rugby in Qld.

bsparx

Herbert Moran (7)
Come on people don't be childish, eddies is located in league heartland. This is the obvious reason why the team has so much flair. Their passing techniques and kicking show it all, they all pretty much have a league mentality. This another reason why their fowards aren't as good as Ashgroves (but they are great individually). Ashgrove fowards have been playing togather from as young as 8 years old down at the gps rugby club.

On another note a previous post showed the number of players who have been lost by ashgrove for various reasons. Their team would have been immensely tough to beat if those players didn't leave.

F

Fascinated observer

I would agree with biffking, eddies do have the worste oval. Lauries looks a bit dangerous with the fence next to it. Villa and peters would be around the Same standard. Overall Ashgroves McMahon Oval is the best and has been for many decades.
Eddies are about to get new flash fields so it for much longer

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
if you look at this years marist team they have lost a number of players. Ethan Machin (half scholarship to churchie) joe kendall to bshs. then you have a whole list of players who have left, bill pendlebury, michael cochrane, tumua setefano, kurt nuske, isaac rokeby. When all these boys were in the team which was U14's, they were the standouts of the comp (went through undefeated). When all thos players left in under 15's their team ran 3rd i think that year? then they rebuilt won the 16's comp undefeated (which is a bit easier considering other schools with yr 11's in first xv) and now they knocked off the competition favourites eddies this year. What your saying is the rugby culture is gone, it actually hasn't, it has just taken a massive blow and ashgrove have rebuilt, so credit to them

I never said the rugby culture is 'gone'. I said there must be an issue with it as most players in the past (to my knowledge) decided to turned down scholarships. No doubt they have done very well to rebuild from so many players leaving, I didn't realise it was so many. My point was that if players are losing faith in the coaching staff(or some other part of the rugby program) then of course they would leave if given the chance.

Of course other factors would come into play as well such as mates, quality of education etc. But for some young players the idea of becoming a professional rugby player is still on the cards, should they put the effort in and i'm sure the GPS schools would be using that to their advantage.

Saecom

Peter Burge (5)
Saecom, absolutely love your work. I would love to have a beer with you and hear some of your anecdotes regarding AIC and TAS rugby, regardless that you probably have a good 30 years on me. As for scholarships and recruiting, I can’t provide input on Eddies or any other schools but I do know some information about St.Peters. As mentioned before by someone (I can’t remember who) Peters, Ashgrove and Nudgee are all part of the Indigenous Education Scheme. Thus, people who are claiming these schools are handing out scholarships left right and centre need to be corrected. Now, I am by no way stating the Nudgee firm does not hand out scholarships, but a lot of there boys are enrolled due to the scheme. Furthermore, StPeters have a fair amount of aboriginal girls who obviously do not play AIC rugby. These girls are also on this scheme. All of these students are boarders. In terms of PNG boys, Peters have had a long association with PNG, with many Lutheran missionaries correlating to some boys coming down to Brisbane and attending a lutheran boarding school. I’m sure some of the older heads will recall that many SPLC teams of the late 90’s-early 2000’s had a whole cast of PNG boarders in this team.

As for this weekend, I am very much looking forward to it. Many great games and rivalries to be had, wish the season was longer!

Also regarding the introduction of Downlands and AIC schools playing a GPS school on its bye, Great idea. Some real good rivalries such as Marist v Terrace, Peters v BBC, Eddies v IGS, Villa v Churchie etc would just increase the rivalry, competition and atmosphere of Schoolboy rugby in Qld.

Thanks you for the compliment. The anecdotes would have to be over a beer and there could be no tape recorders running .... The world was much less PC in those days.

You obviously have great knowledge of St Peters and I am sure what you are saying is true. Being ancient, I can remember many boys from PNG in St Peters 1st XVs going back into the 1970s (& a bit earlier). I remember the St Peters Headmaster Carson Dron (?) was a very keen rugby coach and brought many of these boys through.

Ashgrove also used to have quite a number of these boys however they don't seem to have as many these days? Perhaps a poster with better inside knowledge than mine of Ashgrove could give us the history of that?

As regards the season being longer, I have mentioned this before but will throw this out there in a bit more detail.

Divide the school sport year into 2 seasons - Summer (Terms IV and I - in that order) Winter (Terms II and III)

Summer - home and away in cricket, volleyball (Friday nights) and tennis (so all 1sts start with Yr 11s in Term IV of previous year), Year 8s do not play in age groups and just play Term 1 and they would not be at the school in the previous Term IV - still have athletics carnival in late Term IV, still have swimming carnival in late Term I, short water polo comp Term IV (Friday nights)

Winter - home and away in bastketball (Friday nights),soccer and rugby plus cross country carnival late Term III

Advantages - all team sports (most popular with boys) have 2 rounds home and away, better (longer) use of facilities, more meaningful compeitions

Disadvantages - boys can not play as many sports each year (they have to choose - however they could still do cricket plus rugby plus athletics or whatever?)

Just an idea to kick around...

Status
Not open for further replies.