• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
Thanks you for the compliment. The anecdotes would have to be over a beer and there could be no tape recorders running .... The world was much less PC in those days.

You obviously have great knowledge of St Peters and I am sure what you are saying is true. Being ancient, I can remember many boys from PNG in St Peters 1st XVs going back into the 1970s (& a bit earlier). I remember the St Peters Headmaster Carson Dron (?) was a very keen rugby coach and brought many of these boys through.

Ashgrove also used to have quite a number of these boys however they don't seem to have as many these days? Perhaps a poster with better inside knowledge than mine of Ashgrove could give us the history of that?

As regards the season being longer, I have mentioned this before but will throw this out there in a bit more detail.

Divide the school sport year into 2 seasons - Summer (Terms IV and I - in that order) Winter (Terms II and III)

Summer - home and away in cricket, volleyball (Friday nights) and tennis (so all 1sts start with Yr 11s in Term IV of previous year), Year 8s do not play in age groups and just play Term 1 and they would not be at the school in the previous Term IV - still have athletics carnival in late Term IV, still have swimming carnival in late Term I, short water polo comp Term IV (Friday nights)

Winter - home and away in bastketball (Friday nights),soccer and rugby plus cross country carnival late Term III

Advantages - all team sports (most popular with boys) have 2 rounds home and away, better (longer) use of facilities, more meaningful compeitions

Disadvantages - boys can not play as many sports each year (they have to choose - however they could still do cricket plus rugby plus athletics or whatever?)

Just an idea to kick around...
Saecom your suggestion does have some merit.
However it would kill club sport, something that sportmaster don't want to do. I know at times League/Soccer club causes availabilities issue for school. However certainly club rugby and cricket do not . I would suggest that it's at a club level in all sports the boys develop their skills, get the opportunity to play along boys outside of their school and even make mates from rival schools. And don't we love it when you get the opportunity to pay against them at a school comp.
The link to a club for the school boy is also vital for when he has finish with school,
I know that the AIC comp is heading for some changes in the near future regarding age groups, it has been proposed that the age groups will be replaced by year level like in CIC comp. This is to accommodate the increasing amount of older boys coming through the system.

Saecom

Peter Burge (5)
Saecom your suggestion does have some merit.
However it would kill club sport, something that sportmaster don't want to do. I know at times League/Soccer club causes availabilities issue for school. However certainly club rugby and cricket do not . I would suggest that it's at a club level in all sports the boys develop their skills, get the opportunity to play along boys outside of their school and even make mates from rival schools. And don't we love it when you get the opportunity to pay against them at a school comp.
The link to a club for the school boy is also vital for when he has finish with school,
I know that the AIC comp is heading for some changes in the near future regarding age groups, it has been proposed that the age groups will be replaced by year level like in CIC comp. This is to accommodate the increasing amount of older boys coming through the system.

Yep all fair comments - my suggestion was in response to many on this forum bemoaning how short the school (AIC) competition is ... also I am not sure how many younger teachers would be keen on longer seasons anyway? Gen Y staff don't seem to be like those of years past (whinge over - I will now go back to my grumpy cave!)

For AIC History buffs I could one day do a post on the people (mostly Sportsmasters) who REALLY created AIC out of TAS .... they were a pretty interesting and capable bunch ... (have to hide the names etc!!) but I suspect most younger readers here would just think the post was ... BORING!

erossi93

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yep all fair comments - my suggestion was in response to many on this forum bemoaning how short the school (AIC) competition is ... also I am not sure how many younger teachers would be keen on longer seasons anyway? Gen Y staff don't seem to be like those of years past (whinge over - I will now go back to my grumpy cave!)

For AIC History buffs I could one day do a post on the people (mostly Sportsmasters) who REALLY created AIC out of TAS .... they were a pretty interesting and capable bunch ... (have to hide the names etc!!) but I suspect most younger readers here would just think the post was ... BORING!

I would love to hear your work saecom! History of the AIC is very interesting to read

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
Saecom, absolutely love your work. I would love to have a beer with you and hear some of your anecdotes regarding AIC and TAS rugby, regardless that you probably have a good 30 years on me. As for scholarships and recruiting, I can’t provide input on Eddies or any other schools but I do know some information about St.Peters. As mentioned before by someone (I can’t remember who) Peters, Ashgrove and Nudgee are all part of the Indigenous Education Scheme. Thus, people who are claiming these schools are handing out scholarships left right and centre need to be corrected. Now, I am by no way stating the Nudgee firm does not hand out scholarships, but a lot of there boys are enrolled due to the scheme. Furthermore, StPeters have a fair amount of aboriginal girls who obviously do not play AIC rugby. These girls are also on this scheme. All of these students are boarders. In terms of PNG boys, Peters have had a long association with PNG, with many Lutheran missionaries correlating to some boys coming down to Brisbane and attending a lutheran boarding school. I’m sure some of the older heads will recall that many SPLC teams of the late 90’s-early 2000’s had a whole cast of PNG boarders in this team.

As for this weekend, I am very much looking forward to it. Many great games and rivalries to be had, wish the season was longer!

Also regarding the introduction of Downlands and AIC schools playing a GPS school on its bye, Great idea. Some real good rivalries such as Marist v Terrace, Peters v BBC, Eddies v IGS, Villa v Churchie etc would just increase the rivalry, competition and atmosphere of Schoolboy rugby in Qld.
If parents are cashed up enough, to pay for someone else child education that's great, I certainly would not be able to afford to pay Peters fees to allow some other child to be educated.
I think its great that there are others who can and are kind hearted enough to.
I think these parents handle it well also when their child is dropped to a lower team to allow these often very talented children to play in the top teams.
I certainly not the type of person who would cope with that situation.
I guess I have to stick with the schools who make everone pay for their own child education and develop local players even if it does come at a cost of losing games of rugby.

KVG91

Stan Wickham (3)
If parents are cashed up enough, to pay for someone else child education that's great, I certainly would not be able to afford to pay Peters fees to allow some other child to be educated.
I think its great that there are others who can and are kind hearted enough to.
I think these parents handle it well also when their child is dropped to a lower team to allow these often very talented children to play in the top teams.
I certainly not the type of person who would cope with that situation.
I guess I have to stick with the schools who make everone pay for their own child education and develop local players even if it does come at a cost of losing games of rugby.

It doesn't cost the school anything because the Government pays for it, no parent is asked to subsidize the cost. To be honest I think your view is somewhat discriminative of kids who can't afford to go to a private school. So in your view if a kid's family can't afford to send him to a good school and the government subsequently subsidizes it, they don't deserve to upstage a player who can afford it, regardless if their athletic ability is superior?

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
KVG91 did you read my comment at all????
First what is the scheme call that the Government pays for private school fees?
Is that called State Schools???
I also wonder where the Government gets their money from???
As I said I think that it's great that people who can afford it and are kind hearted enough pay for some else child to be educated in their kids school.
And YES most certainly if the subsidize child athletic ability is superior, they should replace the generous family child in the top teams, Which is exactly what and should happens all the time.
Those parent are either Saints or Suckers

KVG91

Stan Wickham (3)
KVG91 did you read my comment at all????
First what is the scheme call that the Government pays for private school fees?
Is that called State Schools???
I also wonder where the Government gets their money from???
As I said I think that it's great that people who can afford it and are kind hearted enough pay for some else child to be educated in their kids school.
And YES most certainly if the subsidize child athletic ability is superior, they should replace the generous family child in the top teams, Which is exactly what and should happens all the time.
Those parent are either Saints or Suckers

http://www.deewr.gov.au/Indigenous/Schooling/Programs/Pages/AIEFSP.aspx

bsparx

Herbert Moran (7)
Come on fellas, you just brought down the standard of the forum. If you want to talk about importing, I suggest you go to the scholarships thread. Many schools in queensland have indigenous kids. Marist, Nudgee, BBC are some of many. The government are giving scholarships out for the lads, it's not like peters send an expert to run up north to scout players. It sounds like xxxx is denying a chance for kids to have a good education.

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
Come on fellas, you just brought down the standard of the forum. If you want to talk about importing, I suggest you go to the scholarships thread. Many schools in queensland have indigenous kids. Marist, Nudgee, BBC are some of many. The government are giving scholarships out for the lads, it's not like peters send an expert to run up north to scout players. It sounds like xxxx is denying a chance for kids to have a good education.
no no not at all, I love watching these kids play, fantastic athletes.
Glad that other school communities are happy to run those programs.

paddywagen

Allen Oxlade (6)
St Peters Def Eddies 20-17. Both backlines lived up to expectations but Peters were more polished. St Peters No 11 William Duma was a monster. Much maligned Peters forwards was fantastic in the wet. From 14-3 to St Peters, Eddies came back strongly to tie it up 17 all with 10 mins to go. Penalty by Peters 5/8 Jordan Tkatchenko put Peters ahead with 5 mins to go.Strong attack and counterattack from both sides for final 5 mins. Overall, most entertaining game of schoolboy Rugby I've seen since, well, Ashgrove! Well done to both sides - you did your schools proud!

bsparx

Herbert Moran (7)
Well it looks like the boys from Peters are going to have an undefeated premiership. Can't see any other team stopping them. Great for AIC rugby because of the amount of tied premierships.

Banger

Frank Nicholson (4)
St Peters Def Eddies 20-17. Both backlines lived up to expectations but Peters were more polished. St Peters No 11 William Duma was a monster. Much maligned Peters forwards was fantastic in the wet. From 14-3 to St Peters, Eddies came back strongly to tie it up 17 all with 10 mins to go. Penalty by Peters 5/8 Jordan Tkatchenko put Peters ahead with 5 mins to go.Strong attack and counterattack from both sides for final 5 mins. Overall, most entertaining game of schoolboy Rugby I've seen since, well, Ashgrove! Well done to both sides - you did your schools proud!
Couldn't agree more. Well done both teams

Banger

Frank Nicholson (4)
Couldn't agree more. Well done both teams

I

iluvfooty

ok anyone wondering why st peters have become so good. the brisbane broncos made a deal where they send their scholarship boys to board at peters and this is the first year they are doing it so the benefits have been seen straight away with what looks like a premiership for peters

Marbig

Herbert Moran (7)
If the less successful teams in AIC Rugby are handing out scholarships, keep doing it I say! It can only add to quality of the competition. Well done St Peters!

S

son of 81

Yes I was there and remember that ... though I was not sure if Eales was cpatain of Ashgrove (but I am sure you would know) ... Cannon was a wonderful schoolboy player of course and that was a very good St Laurences team ...

I also remember in 1989 (I checked - as per my previous post) when Ashgrove defeated St Laurences 12-6 to win the GF at Ashgrove. St Laurences had beaten them twice during the year (in the Rounds & in the Major Semi) but Ashgrove defended like demons in a tryless game. I think it was their flyhalf it kicked an incredible 45m field goal to put them in front. That win was popular with the Ashgrove crown but not so much with anyone else ...
Just to confirm, John Eales wasn't captain. That was Chris Kennedy, who played in second row or lock with Eales. Great win by Lauries on that day, I watched the game and congrats to St Peters for their win today. Eddies and Ash put up a good fight. The coach for Ash in 87 was a religious person who didn't know alot about rugby, so it was very frustrating for the side with such talent to be coached by someone like that I think.
I can also confirm that Ashgrove did play and beat many GPS schools in the late 70's. I remember the 79 side, including players like Steve Healey, Mick Cook (brother of origin player Terry Cook of Gatton) beat Grammar about 36-0 at Grammar. We thought it was normal for that to happen. All the boarders would go to every game in those days. So I basically saw every game the ash 1st XV played between 77 and 81.
In 77 Columbans beat us. I think it was 6-3, and I won't say the name of the player who missed the kick in front, even though I remember it. I was devastated. My first year as a boarder. Tha team included Mick Cronk amongst others, who has been involved in club rugby for some time.
78 we won, but I don't remember much about it. 79 we won. 1980 we lost at Ash to Lauries I think. It wasn't a bad Ash side so Lauries must have been a fair side. In the Ash side were Mick McLean (origin for qld), Tim Dwyer, very good alround athlete. (Came back to this .. It was De La Salle who beat us that year of course.. sorry De La. Ya Ya here we are, De La Salle from Scarborough - always loved that warcry. Standout player for De La was Bob Ubaije - sorry if I have that name spelt incorrectly), who also played 1sts cricket and basketball I think?)
81 we won but there were some good stoushes, most noticeably with Rosalie. Rosa usually went the biff just for the fun of it and that year was no exception. I think Jimmy Mee and Dox were grade 11 boys in that side, and that's who Rosa went for.
In that year I knew someone who played in the fourths. As an example of the strength in those days, we played Terrace thirds at Nudgee and won 24-10. That Terrace side was the only side to score a try against us all year...trials and comp.
There were two boys in our year who had repeated gr 12 to get better marks. Neither played football in their second year. The word around was that many GPS schools had their players stay back so they could play two years of rugby, or more.
It was in our year of 81 that Ashgrove began to go to GPS for club rugby. Before then it was Brothers. Players like Boof Taylor and Vid Burke etc dragged a lot of their mates along, and when Herby went there, that was the end of it. I have to say it wasn't viewed well when Ealesy went to the Filth, but he had good reasons for doing that.
Herbie's son played for ash a few years ago, in the seconds. Actually a bloody good little number 9 or 10. Someone has also mentioned Dan Early in that year, but there was a player from CQ called Ben Brecken who played in the 2nd as flyhalf that year who was probably up there with Herbie as one of the most gifted players I've seen. The seconds that year scored about 280 points to 20 I think. That was a cracker side and I suppose that gives you an idea that selections are sometimes contentious issues.. when the first lose the premiership and the seconds win by that amount. It's not completely that, but in my opinion, it is a reason for what might be seen as a slide in Ash rugby. Just my opinion.
For those still reading this long winded reply, Ash is not what it was for a lot of other reasons also. Boarders are relatively fewer, and it was the boarders who were often the backbone of many forward packs. Other issues have assumed more importance. Music, dance etc etc.I preferred it the way it was, but that's change.
I should also point out that the Ash 6ths this year, who have won only one game, but have competed very well, mostly against other school's 3rds, 4ths and 5ths, have taken to calling themselves the Last XV. They're very proud of their team, and I believe there was even some jostling to get dropped to the 6ths. They are printing up a jersey for themselves. This morning they played Ash 5ths and it was as good a game of rugby as I have seen for a good while. (Ash 5ths beat the lasts 24-10 I think). Standout players number 4 Tim Venger and number 6 Liam Kenny.
Sorry to bore your pants off. Just saw some comments that I had to reply to in order to set the record straight.
BTW, we were always told it was Terrace and Nudgee that blocked Ash from entering GPS. May have been just a story but has been about for over thirty years.

S

Saints supporter

Well said. It ended up being the game we were hoping to see, 2 strong sides playing it out in challenging conditions. No 12 for Eddies, Kyle Blackman was on fire - it could have gone either way. Fair call to say AIC will have a strong team.

Status
Not open for further replies.