• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

James White

Frank Row (1)
Ashgrove played very scrappy against Padua and you could say they can't play much worse than that. Whilst saying that it is encouraging for future games as they beat one of the 3 contenders whilst playing their worst game. Padua also didn't play to their potential but if they want to finish the rest of their season in 2nd place their forwards will have to pick up their work rate as a whole. Their backs were very flashing at times but probably didn't use them enough.

Padua's inexperience with rugby union lost them the game as Ashgrove dominated the rucks as they led the penalty count by a large number due to all of the ashgrove team being very solid over the ball. Their forwards and defense won them the game, with the 10 from Ashgrove having an extremely good kicking game. Their backs and a couple of forwards need to step up if they want to become undefeated premiers.

Josh P

Frank Row (1)
Padua showed that although they don't have the size of previous years, they are still a very good side and all the boys involved should be proud. 2 tries a piece shows how close the contest was. Completely agree that Ashgrove won the game at the breakdown. The no 7 in particular was amazing for Ashgrove at the breakdown. Ashgrove dominated the first half possession and territory wise on the back on an excellent kicking game and a heavy penalty count against Padua. Second half turned around and Padua had a lot of the running. Credit to Ashgrove for a huge defensive effort. No doubt Ashgrove missed their captain in the second half. From a Padua perspective, only real disappointing aspect was the way they allowed Emosi to stroll through them for the first try.

The 13 for Padua was Michael Cheer who had a great game. He is a real competitor. I believe he is linked with Parramatta for next year. Watch out in the future for his younger brother Jason in the 9A's who is also very talented.

The 10 in the seconds was Cooper Miller who is extremely unlucky not to have a run on spot in the backline. Has always been a top talent. To his great credit he has maintained an excellent attitude despite not having a starting spot (yet). Having said that, the backline is high quality and it would be very tough to identify someone who he should replace.

Lastly, whilst I acknowledge that Ashgrove deserve their victory on the back of great defence and work at the breakdown, I have to mention that the standard of refereeing was not up to standard. Think the Padua crowd went from anger to feeling sorry for her by the end. Some baffling and crucial decisions went Ashgrove's way especially when the game was on the line in the second half. Top of the list of bad decisions was the supposed high tackle when Ashgrove forced the ball in goal - should have been a 5 metre scrum to Padua at the time when Padua had all the running. Also, not awarding a penalty when an Ashgrove player got yellow carded for a dangerous tackle. So yellow card and not a penalty. Anyway, well done boys. Great tough game of rugby played by two very good teams. I'm sure the results in the weeks to come will show that these are the two best teams in the AIC.

well said,
Who was the number 4 for padua. He was massive and I here he is only in year 11.

BigFootyDad

Frank Row (1)
How are the Lauries playing fields so bad??
Do they even hire groundsmen to work there?
As a St Peters father I found it miraculous that my little boy left the field without 3rd degree burns!!
The turf there is shocking, absolutely disgraceful and by no means up to AIC standards.
Lauries should take a leaf out of Villanova's book (Simply stunning fields!) and their otherwise post-apocalyptic-like, depressing sporting fields.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
How are the Lauries playing fields so bad??
Do they even hire groundsmen to work there?
As a St Peters father I found it miraculous that my little boy left the field without 3rd degree burns!!
The turf there is shocking, absolutely disgraceful and by no means up to AIC standards.
Lauries should take a leaf out of Villanova's book (Simply stunning fields!) and their otherwise post-apocalyptic-like, depressing sporting fields.

The Fields at Runcorn are very average for that you can thank the previous Administration of Lauries.

Basically all of the Sporting issues at Lauries start and finish at IMAC's door. He just did not care about that part of the school.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
I have to say that the groundsmen at Tingalpa do a magnificent job.

Every field out at Villa Park is like a carpet, and that's been the case for many years now.

SLC has made a good start to renovating Runcorn with the new pavilion and change rooms, the first real improvement in almost 50 years. The rest of the place has been in a time warp since the early 70's but I'd like to think that's about to change.

Good day fellow AIC supporters and members,

A round for the ages. A round that will be remembered for generations to come. A round where legends set their name in stone. This was Round 1 of the AIC Rugby competition.

International Hall of Fame Tennis Star Billie Jean King once said, "Champions keep playing until they get it right."

As an AIC selector for the AIC 1 Rugby team, I can say with utmost confidence that I have never seen a more exhilarating performance of Rugby Union quite like the 70 minutes of rough and tough rugby that was displayed by the Villanova 1st XV, otherwise known as the 'Team of Champions.'

The Wildcats in recent years have struggled to find a formula which truly respects the history and complexity of the game of Rugby Union. The invigorating performance of Round 1 finally marked the unleashing of the Wildcat from its cage.

The first 35 minutes were an up hill battle for the Green and Gold Army. Pats secured a 24 point lead within the first 10 minutes of the fixture but the next hour would see Villanova completely annihilate the SPC defensive mechanism.

Tyreece 'The Beast' Felu, James 'The Machine' Livingstone and Matthew 'The Brains' Winsbury. The Trio for VNC that collectively weigh an astonishing 300 KG were an absolute spectacle to lay my eyes upon.

Penalty Count: 18 (SPC) :mad::confused: - 5(VNC)

Yellow Cards: 2 (SPC)

Big J with all the info,

Signing off.

Trevor

Frank Row (1)

A round for the ages. A round that will be remembered for generations to come. A round where legends set their name in stone. This was Round 1 of the AIC Rugby competition.

International Hall of Fame Tennis Star Billie Jean King once said, "Champions keep playing until they get it right."

As an AIC selector for the AIC 1 Rugby team, I can say with utmost confidence that I have never seen a more exhilarating performance of Rugby Union quite like the 70 minutes of rough and tough rugby that was displayed by the Villanova 1st XV, otherwise known as the 'Team of Champions.'

The Wildcats in recent years have struggled to find a formula which truly respects the history and complexity of the game of Rugby Union. The invigorating performance of Round 1 finally marked the unleashing of the Wildcat from its cage.

The first 35 minutes were an up hill battle for the Green and Gold Army. Pats secured a 24 point lead within the first 10 minutes of the fixture but the next hour would see Villanova completely annihilate the SPC defensive mechanism.

Tyreece 'The Beast' Felu, James 'The Machine' Livingstone and Matthew 'The Brains' Winsbury. The Trio for VNC that collectively weigh an astonishing 300 KG were an absolute spectacle to lay my eyes upon.

Big J with all the info,

Signing off.
Oh my god kid shut up! Stop trying to talk up your team, your not an aic selector go back and finish your maths work

QLDTalentscout

Bob McCowan (2)
Any update on the seriousness of the knee injury to the MCA captain? Will be a real pity to see him ruled out for a number of games given his form.

mbthommo

Bob McCowan (2)

Big J with all the info,

Signing off.

And Villa still lost.
SPC should be congratulated for starting their season off with a win away from home with virtually a new team.

Front Row Expert

Frank Row (1)
Match of Round 2:

Iona v Ashgrove...4ths

The front row is looking looking sharp with James "grover" cosgrove packing in at tighthead and can put in a devastating hit. AIC 1 selectors should be watching this mother of all of rugby games.

Tom Biddle, could definitley be playing 2nds but with the mind set of being "about the boys" has placed himself in the starting flanker position. Absolute weapon and word has it could be benching firsts for Iona.

Lachlan "the tree" Westcott showed just a brief preview of what those deadly legs can do with an absolute KP whack of a step on the 13 from St Pats (4ths) and is leading the try scoring with 1 meat pie.

Lastly Jake Brown showed what he can do with his boot, hitting a JT like kick from the sideline to win the game. He doesn't do much else but kick. Shut him down anyway.

Ashgrove 11am, Field 2...but should be Main Field.

Hands like feet

Allen Oxlade (6)
Good win by lauries on the weekend, did feel for St Peters, they tried hard but probably not their strongest side over the past 6 years, I admire the way they cam back from last weeks 90 point loss against Villa to score the first try. Disappointing to hear the slc coaches refer to this game as 'nothing more than a training' run in the sheds pre game, a lot of onlookers next to the canteen heard this and were not impressed - given the last 4 years worth of performances, I think it's a bit rich coming from them. Villa game this week will be match of the round I'd say, I expect a big game from lauries 15, 9 and hopefully the ball reaches the fliers on the wing - whoever dominates the mid field battles will go a long way to winning - villa made a lot of breaks in the centres last time but didn't always finish, front row will be an interesting battle; Villa's props were very dominant last time around and the passive lauries front row will need to offer a bit more than drop ball, defensive paint scrapping and ordinary talk around the park to match them. Should be a cracking game!

QLDTalentscout

Bob McCowan (2)
Home teams listed first:

SLC v VILLA; PAD v SEC; ASH v IONA; SPLC v SPC

SLC v VILLA - Definitely match of the round. Will be a close contest but expect SLC to be a class above which should see them over run Villa in the 2nd half. SLC by 12

PAD v SEC - Better effort than expected by SEC last Saturday although Padua will have way too much firepower. Could get ugly if they get a roll on. PAD by 30

ASH v IONA - Teams always lift against the favorite but can't see IONA troubling ASH in this one. Interesting to see the MCA line up for this week.
MCA by 40

SPLC v SPC - Hopefully Peters took something out of last weeks game against SLC and will aim up in defence. If not expect PATS to dominate and if they can keep it up for the full 70 mins could be a cricket score.
SPC by 24

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Any information on how the Laurie's 15A's got on?

Not sure about Laurie's game but was disappointed although not suprised to see the grubby behaviour from ashgrove 15a team. Padua were expecting this from one kid in particular and he certainly delivered- lots of shoving and gobbing off/looking for a fight although word on the street was ash wouldn't play him given the reports from Eddie's coaches from last term of apalling sportsmanship- backchatting coaches and refs/storming off the court mid game (within the AIC Comp but different sport). Seems to have slotted in nicely with the ashgrove win at all costs attitude. Some serious tough love is needed here!

Well done to the entire Padua team who proved the more mature and sportsmanlike on the day.even when they were losing. They may not have come away with a win but the coaches and parents should be very proud of them.
This may be true however it would be nice to see Padua Coaches drawing some of that pride from their ability to coach scrummaging in particular

The game itself was slop and a disgrace that the scrum wasn't made to go uncontested due to a basic safety issue ( Padua LHP especially - hope he knows a good chiropractor )

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
I only just noticed today that Ashgrove did not lose a single AIC rugby game v Padua last Saturday.

Allegations of poor sportsmanship and bad refereeing aside, you have to give some credit to the MCA rugby program for that effort.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Good win by lauries on the weekend, did feel for St Peters, they tried hard but probably not their strongest side over the past 6 years, I admire the way they cam back from last weeks 90 point loss against Villa to score the first try. Disappointing to hear the slc coaches refer to this game as 'nothing more than a training' run in the sheds pre game, a lot of onlookers next to the canteen heard this and were not impressed - given the last 4 years worth of performances, I think it's a bit rich coming from them. Villa game this week will be match of the round I'd say, I expect a big game from lauries 15, 9 and hopefully the ball reaches the fliers on the wing - whoever dominates the mid field battles will go a long way to winning - villa made a lot of breaks in the centres last time but didn't always finish, front row will be an interesting battle; Villa's props were very dominant last time around and the passive lauries front row will need to offer a bit more than drop ball, defensive paint scrapping and ordinary talk around the park to match them. Should be a cracking game!

Sorry HLF totally disagree on both points the Lauries Front Row and scrum has been first rate. Without being the biggest group they have pushed most people around. Granted they drop off a bit when the 4th and 5th string props come on but that is to be expected.

I would strongly disagree with the comment about the training run comment although I was not hanging around the sheds at the time it would be out of character for these coaches. They may not be the most knowledgable but they have always seemed to be respectful of the opposition.

Agree with the midfield comment Villa will go there as that is where they got there best results at the trial.

Hands like feet

Allen Oxlade (6)
Wasn't a reference to their scrummaging, although they'll need to be better than the last villa trial game - I was inferring they will need to be better around the park as they have been found wanting in defence a number of times and dropped balls cold in attack. And I was not near the sheds, but people coming to the canteen who had walked past had certainly heard the comment and were talking about it while in the queue.

Status
Not open for further replies.