• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

midas

Frank Nicholson (4)
interesting comments regarding Iona's chances, I don't believe they will be at the pointy end of the ladder, however they will be competitive.
Correct me if wrong but the year 12's where premiers in year 10, and the year 11's have not lost a game in AIC. (heard will be many year 11's in this year team) and a couple of new faces.
Top 4 this year, Top 2 next

Iona came 6th in 15A's in 2015 year 10, grade 11's this year have been beaten in AIC

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
Iona came 6th in 15A's in 2015 year 10, grade 11's this year have been beaten in AIC

Yep cheers for that it was when they where 14A's and they lost a couple of players since then to GPS. As for the grade 11's not too sure what game you are referring to, however it sounds to me you have access to more records than I.

eagle

Frank Nicholson (4)
Lauries pulled out of their trial against St Peter's on Monday, but if their earlier trial performances are anything to go by, they may have avoided an embarrassing early defeat. St Peter's are tracking quite well in pre season, their backline has the potential to score some serious points.

Bryan

Frank Row (1)
Lauries pulled out of their trial against St Peter's on Monday, but if their earlier trial performances are anything to go by, they may have avoided an embarrassing early defeat. St Peter's are tracking quite well in pre season, their backline has the potential to score some serious points.

Mate, lauries tried moving the game to riverside and peters said no.

Bryan

Frank Row (1)
But no doubt peters are looking strong, expecting a big year from nick Hughes.

Stan Wickham (3)
Any ladder predictions? Who are going to be the toughest teams and who will surprise alot of teams?

Dunc Johnston

Frank Nicholson (4)
1. Ashgrove - always been a strong age group and the Dave Miles approach should see them cut their opposition to shreds.

2. Pats - A very strong 15A team in 2016, a large and physical forward pack who will be very hard to beat, especially at home.

3. Peters - Red hot backline, how much ball they see will be determined by how their pack performs.

4. Padua - A young team this year I suspect, some exceptional players in key positions, but not the big packs they have had the last 3 years.

5. Iona - a strong age group who have been kept together in u16s but may struggle against the bigger sides, good 15a side from last year though.

6. Villa - could be the big improvers and this position may jump up with a few upsets, but I suspect against the top sides it may be a big ask.

7. Lauries - Speedy wingers and a very good 9, but I suspect the internal troubles will take its toll eventually.

8. Eddies - Will improve on last years performances and may cause an upset or 2 but may not have the strike power of other teams.

Before everyone tees off on me, this is my opinion based on what I have been told or heard, happy to be proven wrong (and most likely will be) but I suspect there will be nothing much between 2-8.

redredred

Bob McCowan (2)
Lauries got up for a win over Villa in the Firsts today in a scrappy affair - which is probably fair enough as it is still a trial and there is a lot of trying out lads in different positions. Villa came out very strong and their defense on the line was very good. A lot of dropped ball. Lauries had a great kicking game and their outside backs were dangerous. Standouts from Villa were the centres. Lauries halfback was great as was the number 23 (fullback in the first half). Fair to point out that Lauries ran their First and Second XV as a squad in both games today. All in all, a pretty lackluster affair. Some fairly 'average' referring too. But the season is young!! Final score was 19-12 (I think) to Lauries. In the Firsts. I stopped counting in the Seconds - Lauries in a romp!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big J

Bob McCowan (2)
Lauries got up for a win over Villa in the Firsts today in a scrappy affair - which is probably fair enough as it is still a trial and there is a lot of trying out lads in different positions. Villa came out very strong and their defense on the line was very good. A lot of dropped ball. Lauries had a great kicking game and their outside backs were dangerous. Standouts from Villa were the centres. Lauries halfback was great as was the number 23 (fullback in the first half). Fair to point out that Lauries ran their First and Second XV as a squad in both games today. All in all, a pretty lackluster affair. Some fairly 'average' referring too. But the season is young!! Final score was 19-12 (I think) to Lauries. In the Firsts. I stopped counting in the Seconds - Lauries in a romp!!

Yep fair assessment - I guess we take out of this that Villa is way more competitive than last year and Lauries are nowhere near as bad as this forum has made out. Villa scrum was good but Villa line out was terrible - Lauries were very good at the breakdown and have speed to burn in their back line.

SLC scrum half was impressive. And their loose forwards were strong and aggressive.

Villa 10, 12 and 13 are a real threat if they can get more pill from set piece.

Lots of dropped ball on both sides.
Both coaches have stuff to work on but promising signs.

C

CrackaFat

padua ? whats happening ? not much talk . how do u guys think the season will go ? many returning players ? players to watch ?

C

CrackaFat

lauries seem outta shape and set for a shit season . bottom feeding ? say it aint so saints

Trevor

Frank Row (1)
1. Ashgrove - always been a strong age group and the Dave Miles approach should see them cut their opposition to shreds.

2. Pats - A very strong 15A team in 2016, a large and physical forward pack who will be very hard to beat, especially at home.

3. Peters - Red hot backline, how much ball they see will be determined by how their pack performs.

4. Padua - A young team this year I suspect, some exceptional players in key positions, but not the big packs they have had the last 3 years.

5. Iona - a strong age group who have been kept together in u16s but may struggle against the bigger sides, good 15a side from last year though.

6. Villa - could be the big improvers and this position may jump up with a few upsets, but I suspect against the top sides it may be a big ask.

7. Lauries - Speedy wingers and a very good 9, but I suspect the internal troubles will take its toll eventually.

8. Eddies - Will improve on last years performances and may cause an upset or 2 but may not have the strike power of other teams.

Before everyone tees off on me, this is my opinion based on what I have been told or heard, happy to be proven wrong (and most likely will be) but I suspect there will be nothing much between 2-8.

heard eddies has new coaching staff with a different outlook and have been training for a while, couple new rep forwards and a strong back line should make them a lot stronger.
villa have no real spark but lets see what happens.
padua are to young and will not suprise me at all if they end up like eddies last year.
Ashgrove will always be strong and very tough to beat with dave miles still in there.

redredred

Bob McCowan (2)
Lauries took on Downlands tonight - how did they go?

Downlands won in a tight contest. This was the Downlands NZ touring team which head off tomorrow I believe. Score was 15 - 7. Actually a pretty entertaining game. Downlands lads are BIG!! Scary BIG! Lauries did a great defensive job on them. No real standouts. Just a good solid team effort. Some dropped ball in the wet weather conditions and some big defensive hits from the Downlands lads. Lauries forwards need a special mention. Workrate was great. Lauries had to defend their line a lot of the night and also had to contend with a string of confusing penalties. Which leads me to my next point .... Last couple of games I have watched have had some really poor refereeing. I don't want to sound like the guy who always has a go at the ref but just seems really obvious stuff is let go and some calls just don't make sense. It is now becoming the norm. Once again, appreciate the refs for getting out there, but...

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Downlands won in a tight contest. This was the Downlands NZ touring team which head off tomorrow I believe. Score was 15 - 7. Actually a pretty entertaining game. Downlands lads are BIG!! Scary BIG! Lauries did a great defensive job on them. No real standouts. Just a good solid team effort. Some dropped ball in the wet weather conditions and some big defensive hits from the Downlands lads. Lauries forwards need a special mention. Workrate was great. Lauries had to defend their line a lot of the night and also had to contend with a string of confusing penalties. Which leads me to my next point .. Last couple of games I have watched have had some really poor refereeing. I don't want to sound like the guy who always has a go at the ref but just seems really obvious stuff is let go and some calls just don't make sense. It is now becoming the norm. Once again, appreciate the refs for getting out there, but.

Reasonable commentary I made the score 10 to 7. A good crowd in attendance and the boys played the game in good spirit. For mine the game played in quarters helped the Downlands boys as they got a break. It looked like the Lauries forwards were getting stronger as the game went on. The Breakdown was a concern for both teams with a huge amount of turnover ball both ways.

redredred

Bob McCowan (2)
Reasonable commentary I made the score 10 to 7. A good crowd in attendance and the boys played the game in good spirit. For mine the game played in quarters helped the Downlands boys as they got a break. It looked like the Lauries forwards were getting stronger as the game went on. The Breakdown was a concern for both teams with a huge amount of turnover ball both ways.

Cheers Happyman. 3 unconverted tries to Downlands VS 1 converted try to Lauries.

Hands like feet

Allen Oxlade (6)
How big were those downlands lads?! I'll be interested to see how they go during their games this year. Absolute mud bath but well done to Souths for allowing the game to go ahead, im sure many clubs get protective of their main oval when it rains. Both teams had a crack despite the weather which was good, lots of drop ball which was to be expected I guess, but seems to be happening in a lot of lauries trial games. Lauries look very vulnerable in the centres in defence. I would have liked to have seen the Lauries wingers get the ball a bit more, does appear to be a lack of handling skills in some of the backs, I believe this has also been a theme in lastweeks game too. Downlands definitely more organised in attack. Can't help but think score would have been bigger on a dry track. I hope chipsy wood isn't too worse for wear today.

Status
Not open for further replies.