• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
That's my understanding of things as well HLF

And regime change wasn't quite right ........regime disturbance may be more accurate with person(s) who may have shaken things up , now elsewhere when the business as usual option was chosen. It is a shame however as he was probably the pulse of the program

Headmaster change at Lauries too I note

don't_go_latho

Chris McKivat (8)
A lot of bagging of Lauries in this forum. 2014 was a poor year but the last 2 years Lauries have been building with this year considered the year where expectations are higher. There are a few players in their 3rd year of playing 1st XV and a number of players in their 2nd year of playing 1st XV this year who should be delivering Lauries their best result 1st XV wise since 2010. The current coaches ironically were given the 1st XV job in 2014 due to their efforts with this current open age group in 2013. It will be wonderful if Lauries and Ashgrove can remain undefeated until Round 5 when they clash at Runcorn. Plenty of work to be done before then though. Any sides got trials coming up soon?

Hands like feet

Allen Oxlade (6)
Gary Owen - can you elaborate on what you mean by things would have been shaken up and or how? For the better or for worse? It seems similar to what I've heard, but you never can be quite sure.

I'd imagine a number of those players going into their supposed second year probably wouldn't have been there last year under a different set of eyes - the proof being the 2nd XV being undefeated and the 16A being a game off the premiership; these strong results of these teams over the past 3 years has been a common trend - I can only put that down to selection choices of the top side. A number of players with existing 1st XV experience have disengaged with the coaches and their interest levels in playing 1st XV have dropped. To say that this years group will deliver SLC's best finish since 2010, isn't really saying much and is also a bit premature, they'd only need to win 3 games for this to be the case, with the exception of Ashgrove, this year's 1st XV competition will be the closest in years, with reports that Eddies and Villa are looking very strong(er) under new coaching staff, I wouldn't discount St Peter's, they always fly under the radar, they play lauries round 1 - I imagine that will set the tone for both teams seasons.

Lute

Chris McKivat (8)
Not sure about Reds squads, but there is a great under 15 development squad at GPS Rugby this year and the U16-18 GPS Ashgrove Rugby academy is about to launch with an information night on Monday 6th at the club. Lots of AIC and GPS players across the board will participate.

The under 15 boys will be the beneficiaries of tailored S&C and skills programmes and Level 3 coaching, with an eye on being part of the 2018 academy. The instilling of a consistent coaching methodology will prepare these boys for the next level.

A great initiative, with the boys the winners.
Congratulations,u must be a bit chuffed with the news you got

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Can anyone from St Peters tell me where the Collins lad is furthering his Rugby this year.

I thought he had a helluva Schoolboys trial last year and was unlucky not to make it into at least the Barbarians squad

Thanks in advance

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Have any trials been played yet I hear Lauries played a team down the coast and did OK. but without boys still playing other sports

AliBarber

Bob McCowan (2)
anyway that met northern team will still be good . the mca boys will round out the nudgee and terrace boys really well
they will have to be favuorites cuz they will have God on there team lol but yeah they should win .

met league too

Met North (can't speak for the others) is a total waste of time. If any boy isn't from a Scholarship or GPS school he is wasting his time. Last years was a disgrace.

AliBarber

Bob McCowan (2)
Anyone know which AIC 1st XV players are in the Reds development squad.
Gather they will form the basis of AIC and QLD selection
Lots of GPS players from what I understand.

You won't see too many AIC Players in Development Squads at the REDS - not flashy enough at AIC. You will sadly see a group of them selected at Rugby League Academies this year which is really sad for Rugby, considering a lot of these kids started Rugby at U6. A small number of boys from Padua & MCA at League Academy this year. All backs, bar one forward. One from Eddies in the Forwards and one from Iona. Reds will take their GPS boys from Terrace, Nudgee and BBC and we will wait with baited breath if we hear from them again.

I know of one from Padua who has declined an offer from the REDS and another from Iona who they're looking at, but I hear he is going to Carina Rugby League Club as soon as the AIC season is finished and is already training. I have a good source on the League side and I just can't believe some of the quality stock deciding to play Rugby at School and League at Club Level. It's tremendous for their skill levels, but which way will the go in the end.

Hands like feet

Allen Oxlade (6)
Sunshine Coast Grammar host Lauries this afternoon next week I believe; the corresponding game last year was all one way traffic to the Coasters. Grammar are coming off the back of beating and AIC team 2 weeks ago and Lauries are coming off the back of a very uninspiring performance against a second string All Saints Anglican school.

TheCuriousWatcher

Bob McCowan (2)
Hey Guys,

I'm obviously new here and wanted a bit of an update on some AIC old boys who had a cracking year at their respective schools.

Jeral Skelton (St. Pats) & Allan Wratten (Marist)

Where are these boys now are they playing for local rugby union clubs?

Arachnid

Frank Row (1)
Hey Guys,

I'm obviously new here and wanted a bit of an update on some AIC old boys who had a cracking year at their respective schools.

Jeral Skelton (St. Pats) & Allan Wratten (Marist)

Where are these boys now are they playing for local rugby union clubs?

I can confirm that sources tell me Jeral Skelton is playing for Brothers this year, but Allan Wratten, not too sure

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Wratten might well be back on the farm.

It would be a bit of a waste if we don't see Wratten again, he could have become (and still might be) a very good loose forward.

Big and strong, and a great ball runner.

don't_go_latho

Chris McKivat (8)
Sunshine Coast Grammar host Lauries this afternoon next week I believe; the corresponding game last year was all one way traffic to the Coasters. Grammar are coming off the back of beating and AIC team 2 weeks ago and Lauries are coming off the back of a very uninspiring performance against a second string All Saints Anglican school.
How did Lauries go? Sunshine Coast Grammar have improved immensely in the last few years.

Halfpenny

Frank Row (1)
haven't seen much of the Patties boys. considering they came second last year what is the team prediction for this upcoming season?

Hands like feet

Allen Oxlade (6)
Finished up 10-5 to SCG. It was shades of the Reds v Brumbies 6-3 game at Suncorp in 2011. Both teams tried hard it never mounted to much. Both sides looked lost in attack and appeared happier to defend. A lot of lauries forwards looking short on fitness, they may have lost their breath from all the talking in their warm up, particularly the captain who appeared to go missing after 10 mins. With the rugby plateauing out, the chat on the sidelines was interesting, the main topic amongst the parents was the discontent that still exists with the current coaches. Anyway round 1 is still a long way off, plenty of time for improvement.

Big J

Bob McCowan (2)
Villa V Iona trial on this coming Monday arvo - word is both teams are looking to try lots of combos and blow out cobwebs - but could be a reasonable indicator of what's what at Coorparoo and Wynnum - lots of good talk still coming out of both camps. Trial is at Iona I believe.

Axel Dover

Frank Row (1)
In response to Big J, Iona again will struggle this year under the 2nd year coaches. I believe Iona's rugby programme is under the pump. After the sacking of Shane McBride Iona's programme has been nothing but embarrassing to AIC rugby. As an old boy of the College it is such a shame to see this happen, Rugby league is gaining unprecedented amounts of popularity within the school. Could a code change come within the next 5 years? For now Iona need to think about there future rugby programmes and get some outside coaches to bring back the culture and choose the right players for the right positions, not just because they are the coaches PET. I hope to see the boys do well this season, But realistically cannot see it happening until something drastically changes.

Big J

Bob McCowan (2)
In response to Big J, Iona again will struggle this year under the 2nd year coaches. I believe Iona's rugby programme is under the pump. After the sacking of Shane McBride Iona's programme has been nothing but embarrassing to AIC rugby. As an old boy of the College it is such a shame to see this happen, Rugby league is gaining unprecedented amounts of popularity within the school. Could a code change come within the next 5 years? For now Iona need to think about there future rugby programmes and get some outside coaches to bring back the culture and choose the right players for the right positions, not just because they are the coaches PET. I hope to see the boys do well this season, But realistically cannot see it happening until something drastically changes.
well I guess we may know some more after tomorrow and then results of trials next Saturday - if that is true what you say about Iona - I hope they get back on track soon - but I'm hearing Iona will be more competitive this year - and that's from people closer to the school than me - anyway - let's see what unfolds !

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
interesting comments regarding Iona's chances, I don't believe they will be at the pointy end of the ladder, however they will be competitive.
Correct me if wrong but the year 12's where premiers in year 10, and the year 11's have not lost a game in AIC. (heard will be many year 11's in this year team) and a couple of new faces.
Top 4 this year, Top 2 next

Status
Not open for further replies.