• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CrackaFat

There are some very exciting players in that side.
The tight head would be the best scrummager for his age in the state.
He has a great work rate but isnt a big ball runner. Unfortunatley junior selectors tend to pick the kids that make the big collision and little else.

They have a backrower that dominated the club and school comp last year and a young Mcveigh who is just as handy as his older brother.

There are a number of others that are very classy.

I am sure we will see them in Met West, JGC and QLD jerseys over the next 18-24months.
How can you be sure ?

John Lepton

Frank Row (1)
Villanova First XV 2017 Prediction:
1. Tyreece Felu
2. James King
3. Jared Toutai
4. James Livingstone
5. Sam Everding
6. Ryan Northey
7. Julian Rhodes
8. Paddy Price
9. Jonathan Boxall
10. Will Vokes
11. Isaac Abraham
12. Lachlan Littleton
13. Matt Winsbury
14. Toby Love Linay
15. Christian Green

C

CrackaFat

Its an expression. I didnt mean it literally.

aw.thought you must be an insider or sumthing.anyway it all starts with met west which is first and none of the boys you mentioned won't even get selected for that

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
aw.thought you must be an insider or sumthing.anyway it all starts with met west which is first and none of the boys you mentioned won't even get selected for that

You're right about sumthing at least.

MCA is part of Met North, not Met West, so no Ashgrove boys will be playing for Met West this year or ever.

C

CrackaFat

You're right about sumthing at least.

MCA is part of Met North, not Met West, so no Ashgrove boys will be playing for Met West this year or ever.
thanks for playing !
put your hands together for galloper sports fans
no diss to any peeps just that little lion man said first they would be met westerns

C

CrackaFat

anyway that met northern team will still be good . the mca boys will round out the nudgee and terrace boys really well
they will have to be favuorites cuz they will have God on there team lol but yeah they should win .

met league too

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
Cracka, don't forget the Grammar boys. They have GOt some very strong players that will GO all day. Throw a few of them into this team and you have GOt a very strong side.

But will GPS boys even be allowed to play? Last year's very good 12 from BSHS went to this carnival and his 14A side struggled to a draw with TGS. A big risk to take your A players out unless you have the bye I would have assumed?

C

CrackaFat

Cracka, don't forget the Grammar boys. They have GOt some very strong players that will GO all day. Throw a few of them into this team and you have GOt a very strong side.

But will GPS boys even be allowed to play? Last year's very good 12 from BSHS went to this carnival and his 14A side struggled to a draw with TGS. A big risk to take your A players out unless you have the bye I would have assumed?
gwamma ? if its meth north chess then ok
I left st james out of gods 15 too. my bad

C

CrackaFat

anyways henners good points about gps boys not being allowed to play. there not that good anyways. just think they are. anyone that nows nothin nows that aic is where its at. the best of current opens 16s and 15s would chuck norriss most if not all of there gps age group teams.

RuckNoHands

Frank Row (1)
I've read these columns for a long time now and never commented, so this might be my last year to comment on schoolboy rugby with some experience.
Looking in from the outside, Marist look very promising for 2017. I've been involved against a lot of these young men in club and rep level for some years and have seen a lot of their footy. Last years U16's have been strong every year since U12's Gde 7 - As where the boys from last years U15's have shown promise every year since u12(Grade7), only that's on the back of one or two players. Young Woodsy in the Centres has probably scored as many as the rest together. B Rozka is their best and toughest forward from last years U15's, the others are a bit wanting in the hard or clever stuff.
That may shock a few. They will probably blood a couple in the run on and the others from the bench for 2017 in view of 2018. Blake Rozka should be a starter in the forwards anywhere, he is that good and tough. Lachie Woods is the best centre they have by a country mile although will probably be blooded on the wing, a shame but don't be surprised if he isn't wearing 12 by the season end, and maybe they have 2018 in mind, if he is still at MCA, a few are chasing him. They are the only two U15's who physically have the skill set at what it takes to step into a First 15 Run on team. John Downs is strong as a bull, but the work rate and commitment needed might be above him when the opposition are a year ahead in mind and body. I hope he can prove me wrong and but I think 2018 will see Downs bloom. Hayden Ryan could be Flyhalf or if they want a capable Fly who can kick goals then Ben Ritter and Zach Hogan should be in the mix and 2018 should see him the Fly unless someone else puts their hand up.
Emosi will lead them well with Cowan and Carrigan as a formidable front row. McVeigh will be No. 4. I actually like young Carroll somewhere in there. The rest of the forwards will be of last years U16. I think John Downs will wrestle off against Blake Rozka for a run spot. One of them will play from the Bench I would think. A surprise Centres pairing of Ben Bucknell,13 and Lachie TennisonWoods 12, might shake things up. Kaleb Pini could play Centre as well but will probably end up as full back. Really, Fullback is up for grabs as you could put any number of the backs in their as an attacking Fullback - Bucknell/Tennysonwoods/Hayden Ryan/Hogan/Ritter
They do need a point scoring kicker and I'm told Ben Ritter is sharp, so he might be in the mix as well. Marist certainly have a full basket to select from this year, and they need to pick their best, because it's the best selection they have had in many a year. Next year the basket won't look anywhere near as ripe as all last years U16's move on.
Some GPS Schools split their Senior lads over two years and get a solid two years in the Firsts at least. Lads are nearly if not already 18 in their second year doing Senior. Brings them into line with NSW Schools and nearly in line with NZ schools where the youngest would be 18 - now that's not nice !

My positions in the mix for Marist. Not a Team but who could go where.

1. Emosi Tuquiri (Firsts)
2. Angus Cowan (16A)
3. Sam Carrigan (16A)
4. Andy McVeigh (16A)
5. Blake Rozka / Carroll/ Downs(15A)(U16)
6. Roly Brosnan/Carroll/Downs (16A)(U16)
7. Braydon Law/ Rozka /Downs (16A , Firsts)
8. Jordan Tukunui (16A)
9. Jaz Day (Firsts)
10.Hayden Ryan (16A)/ Zach Hogan(U16)
11.Sean Anderson (U16A's )
12.Lachie TennysonWoods/Hayden Ryan (15A)(16A)
13.Ben Bucknell (Firsts)
14.Lachie Tennysonwoods/Zac Hogan/Ben Ritter (15A)(16)
15.Kaleb Pini /Zac Hogan/ Ben Ritter(16A)

Looking at Padua - Not a bad back-line and a more than capable forward pack options. Who is kidding who by naming Danny Heenan on the Wing. He will be No. 10, 12 or 13 before he gets to 11 or 14.. He is a big chance of breaking into the Firsts in the middle backs. They could do worse than promote Harry Taylor to the Firsts. He is a Centre who they could blood on the Wing. He is U16 but is still only in Grade 10. Along side as a League/Rugby convert, Harry and Danny Heenan (Padua) and Lachie Tennisonwoods (MCA) were the middle order back line for Valleys Rugby League and all have been rewarded by a local NRL club.

I'm keen to see what people are saying about St Pats. Dark horses there. They could be a major surprise. I believe their Full Back may pull the plug and go to League.

Rugby, both before after School Rugby cannot afford to lose any more kids to league/AFL. Why are they leaving. Well in Rugby, if you aren't on a Scholarship at a GPS School or at a AIS school who has teachers coaching at a GPS School, then you have no hope of moving forward in Rugby. None at all. The GPS Schools and I'm involved there, are killing the game they love so much by dishing out scholarships. Mostly 90% will never go anywhere and in their tracks they leave a carnage of better players who were not selected over them who either don't play footy any more or don't play it seriously or if they were really good they move on to Rugby League.
Stop being scared of Rugby League and let kids play both Codes - that way you won't lose them, they usually end up back with their first loves and friends and core rugby mates. Blocking League only makes them want to play it even more when they leave. The real threat to Rugby are the old school ties demanding their old schools shell out scholarship after scholarship to win anything and everything with Rugby being the front, left and centre - you're killing the game you love. I took my club rugby team to watch the equal Premier Grade League between U15's Valleys and Logan Brothers in a top of the table clash at Bishop Park. It was a brutal game. Our boys were wide eyed at how fast and physical the game was. Valleys were made up of mainly Rugby Union lads from MCA, Padua, St Pats and StateHigh. I counted 13 out of the run on 17. Valleys won the Shield that day. Tries to Woodsy 3 MCA, Harry Taylor 2 Padua, Danny Heenan 1 Padua.
Next game was Wests featuring Emosi and Co from MCA making up the majority. None of them are on Scholarships and they are bigger, tougher, fitter and better players for it. I can't see too many scholarships from this years U16 or Firsts GPS ever playing Reds football. They simply are just not tough enough and rode out 3, 4 or 5 years under GPS scholarships. You can buy a good team of players but you will will never buy a culture.

Release the bees.

Spot On

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)

Sorry mate, but "Happyman" seems to be a very inappropriate sobriquet for you - so much vitriol before a single ruck or maul has been formed.

I actually know how/why Kale Van Dugteren came to MCA last year, and it definitely wasn't a rugby-based decision. In rugby terms he sounds pretty handy but hardly a superstar in the making.

As for Inose Nadolo, you seem to be the only one on here who knows anything about him, but in any event it's very condescending for you to assume that he's not a fee paying student. As I've said before his cousin is at MCA, and his brother Nemani would be on big money at Montpellier so..

The irony is that both of these boys are in Year 11 and there's a good chance that neither of them will play First XV this year, but I guess just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that people aren't out to get you.[/quote]

Galloper

No vitriol from me mate always remember that Rugby is far to inconsequential a thing to lose a friend over or even an acquaintance for that matter.

I just call these things as I see them.

At the end of the day MCA have to be favoured with excellent facilities coaching and a good squad.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Galloper

No vitriol from me mate always remember that Rugby is far to inconsequential a thing to lose a friend over or even an acquaintance for that matter.

I just call these things as I see them.

At the end of the day MCA have to be favoured with excellent facilities coaching and a good squad.

No worries mate.

I was just responding to the suggestion that MCA have been actively recruiting, which I'm almost positive is incorrect.

Having said that, I still know nothing about Inose Nadolo, or how/why he has enrolled at Ashgrove. I'm assuming that he's going on the upcoming First XV rugby tour to NZ and if so it should soon be clearer where he is rated.

I did see the First XV squad training for 5 minutes or so last week, from a distance, and the forwards looked to be pretty big (much bigger than last year), but until they start trial it's impossible to say how good they will be.

Favouritism is more of a curse, did nothing for Ashgrove last year, so very happy for SLC to take the mantle if they want it.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
SPLC U15A's may end up surprising a few teams this year.

The have added one of the finds of last year's State Carnival to their backline who is already on the Reds Training program in addition to Broncos etc. He combines with a young guy who is 2nd fastest Nationally over 100m and 200m

They also have added one of Toowoomba Grammar's biggest and brightest young locks ( Family Work Transfer to Brisbane ) to combine with one of the hardest working , biggest motored and versatile forwards running around in any competition in the U15 Age Group . In terms of the AIC Competition he'd certainly be in the conversation as one of the best back rowers running around. Certainly the quickest.

The question mark is their depth as to whether they can muscle some front foot ball to use their speed advantage. Coaching quality and depth too.

But certainly this aforementioned core is the minimum of equal to anything else running around in this competition

Supersid

Allen Oxlade (6)
Hopefully they have a team in the 10A competition. Last year they were replaced by ATC who struggled to be competitive. Good to hear they have added some players, might make for some closer games.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Hello there Sidney !

Yes , last year's SPLC 10A's were arse - even by their own admission

Speaking to a Dad in the Age Group and some guys who have coached there and are rolling around again ....it can be a bit hit and miss in the land of Pete ( as no doubt you know )

But I only reference for interest as I am dubious about their depth - however , their best 4 or 5 players are as good as anyone else's

eagle

Frank Nicholson (4)
This year's 10A comp in previous years has been:

1.Ashgrove
2. Lauries
3. Daylight

Iona, Padua and St Pat's had competitive teams in year 8, but lost a number of players to other schools and being the 'smaller' year level across the state, a school like pats are battling to field a team in the age group. Ambrose Treacy were semi competitive, but not against the top 2 sides. I hope St Peters can muster up a team it sounds like they may be a handy side. From what I have heard, one of the those top 2 sides is on the unfortunate decline, due to changes with coaching and training, some have said a contagious effect from the top side which is now filtering down, massive shame if this is the case.

Dave Johnson

Frank Row (1)
There are some very exciting players in that side.
The tight head would be the best scrummager for his age in the state.
He has a great work rate but isnt a big ball runner. Unfortunatley junior selectors tend to pick the kids that make the big collision and little else.

They have a backrower that dominated the club and school comp last year and a young Mcveigh who is just as handy as his older brother.

There are a number of others that are very classy.

I am sure we will see them in Met West, JGC and QLD jerseys over the next 18-24months.

---------------------
I've seen a bit of footage of this team from 2016. There's a couple of strong front row combinations, which thp is your pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.